Paulding.com

Christmas music - your thoughts

OK, to go along with the other threads, what are your favorites/unfavorites of Christmas songs? Here are mine:

GOOD

Silent Night by Mannheim Steamroller – The kiddie piano at the end just sends me!

Beautiful Star of Bethlehem by The Centurymen – There’s just something about men singing that is wonderful!

Handel’s Messiah – Simply awesome.

BAD

Who Would Imagine A King by Whitney Houston – A GREAT song by a GREAT singer, but then they had to ruin it at the end with a baby saying, “Mommy”…grates on the nerves, it does.

I Want A Hippopotamus for Christmas by that 5-year-old kid with the fake vibrato – No words needed

The Christmas Shoes by New Song – Sappy, sappy, sappy. I don’t do manipulative crap.

UGLY

Jingle Bells by Barbra Streisand – Has nothing to do with her being Jewish, but everything to do with it being an AWFUL song!

Silent Night by Stevie Nicks – Seriously? Sung by a woman who looks sort of like a witch in some of her videos? I actually like her music, but this one just seems incongruous. When we first heard it several years ago, a co-worker went around singing, “Silent Night, witchy night, all is dark, all is evil…” hahahahaa

Silent Night by Dean Martin – Now, I love Dean Martin. He is one of my ALL-TIME favorite singers, and not a bad actor. But I heard this last year on Sirius/XM’s Christmas music, and he sounded like he was three sheets to the wind, and it was just...WRONG.

OK, to go along with the other threads, what are your favorites/unfavorites of Christmas songs? Here are mine:

GOOD

Silent Night by Mannheim Steamroller – The kiddie piano at the end just sends me!

Beautiful Star of Bethlehem by The Centurymen – There's just something about men singing that is wonderful!

Handel's Messiah – Simply awesome.

BAD

Who Would Imagine A King by Whitney Houston – A GREAT song by a GREAT singer, but then they had to ruin it at the end with a baby saying, "Mommy"…grates on the nerves, it does.

I Want A Hippopotamus for Christmas by that 5-year-old kid with the fake vibrato – No words needed

The Christmas Shoes by New Song – Sappy, sappy, sappy. I don't do manipulative crap.

UGLY

Jingle Bells by Barbra Streisand – Has nothing to do with her being Jewish, but everything to do with it being an AWFUL song!

Silent Night by Stevie Nicks – Seriously? Sung by a woman who looks sort of like a witch in some of her videos? I actually like her music, but this one just seems incongruous. When we first heard it several years ago, a co-worker went around singing, "Silent Night, witchy night, all is dark, all is evil…" hahahahaa

Silent Night by Dean Martin – Now, I love Dean Martin. He is one of my ALL-TIME favorite singers, and not a bad actor. But I heard this last year on Sirius/XM's Christmas music, and he sounded like he was three sheets to the wind, and it was just...WRONG.

Excellent - Oh Holy Night by Celtic Woman:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDeXUvWbLp8

I used to love Christmas Music but this year they have been playing it at work since the week before Thanksgiving and Im sick of it!

Oh, I'm usually that way, too...thankfully, this year I don't have wall-to-wall Christmas music, so I can enjoy it more when I do choose to listen to it.

Absolute worst song ever - not just Christmas song, but worst song ever - is "Wonderful Christmastime" by Paul McCartney. I love Sir Paul, but this song is horrible, terrible and I hate it.

Working a Christmas season at Toys R Us in college where this was played over and over and over and over again probably helps make it the worst.song.ever.

I don't want to hear any of it until the 24th/25th and not a day after that.

My fav Xmas albums are Sinatra, Bing Crosby, Mariah Carey, Boys II Men and The Carpenters. I play them through once each during those two days and I am good for the year. Don't listen to a single Xmas song by my choice until then.

Fav Song...Merry Xmas from the Family by Montgomery Gentry.

Edited by Go BLUE!

I'm with Mrs. B on the sir paul song.

I also dislike "I saw mommy kissing santa claus". Creepy.

dislike Little Drummer Boy

LOVE Oh Holy night by pretty much everyone except celiene dion (can't stand her voice). My favorite versions are by John Denver and Johnny Mathis.

I for one love the hippo song. Yeah, I'm strange. :blink:

I love "The Little Drummer Boy" by the Harry Simeon Choral (or something like that). And am almost reduced to tears by Josh Groban's "Oh Holy Night". Those are definitely on the good list.

So-so feelings about a lot of them but don't really hate any of them.

WOW!! PSD, that was incredible!!

The woman in the yellow dress has a huge and beautiful voice. I ordered their CD just to get the Christmas music and that particular version of Oh Holy Night.

Absolute worst song ever - not just Christmas song, but worst song ever - is "Wonderful Christmastime" by Paul McCartney. I love Sir Paul, but this song is horrible, terrible and I hate it.

Working a Christmas season at Toys R Us in college where this was played over and over and over and over again probably helps make it the worst.song.ever.

Oh, yeah - AWFUL SONG!!! Equally awful is that stupid "Do They Know It's Christmastime At All", talking about the kids in Africa. Well, DUH - most of them are Muslim, you moron...of COURSE they don't know it's Christmas! GRRRR... :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

I love Josh Groban's version of Oh, Holy Night!! I also love Little Drummer Boy, What Child is This, Silent Night...

Anything by Amy Grant is like nails on a chalk board and sends me over the edge if I can't change it!

This is my favorite "non-traditional" Christmas song:

I DESPISE Mariah Carey's urban yodeling of Oh Holy Night. If I have to hear it again I am going to scream. She needs a lesson in singing from Nat King Cole! I like Gosh Groban's version, too.

My favs this year are This Christmas by Donny Hathaway and Merry Christmas Baby by BB King.

All of it is either bad or ugly.

Obviously, you are unaware of the reason for the season, Christmas music is beautiful. It may be overdone on some radio stations. The solution to that is to switch stations.

Obviously, you are unaware of the reason for the season, Christmas music is beautiful. It may be overdone on some radio stations. The solution to that is to switch stations.

2 things:

1. Most Christmas songs are not about Jesus

2. If I don't like Christmas music why would I have a station on that plays Christmas music?

The woman in the yellow dress has a huge and beautiful voice. I ordered their CD just to get the Christmas music and that particular version of Oh Holy Night.

My son loves their music and has seem them live twice. They have some great DVDs of some concerts also.