Paulding.com

Superintendent message

Official-

After a review of isolated and secondary roads, hazardous road conditions still exist this morning making bus travel unsafe. Schools will be closed today for all students. ONLY twelve month employees should report. High school final exams will be postponed, please check your school's website for updates. Student safety is our priority.

P.S. Thank you for being patient for official announcement from superintendent. We want to insure that you recieve accurate information.

Thank you again Kim for keeping our members informed.

I realize that there are T's to be dotted and I's to be crossed when preparing official statements, hopefully yall can get your robo calls going as soon as possible.

We are clear up here, but I know that if there is ice anywhere the buses don't run, many don't realize just how large our county is and how long it takes to get reports from every section,

I am sure there is protocol involved that may be time consuming to those involved.

It simply takes time to inform everyone that needs to know.

UNofficial!!! JMO

Administration has been checking roads for hours (risking their safety) to make sure all our students are safe. I appreciate the attempt to have school today as it is a critical time for grading and finals.

One student injury or death is not worth the risk in my opinion so I am not going to complain. It seems that no matter what the decision ever is there is always going to be complaints. <_<

I am thankful that ALL decisions and information are being communicated ASAP as most of us did not foresee the events of yesterday evening. Yesterday's morning forecast had no freezing temperatures that I could find. Please try to be understanding with those involved and know that they do care about your child and the children of this community, otherwise, I would imagine they would have "jumped ship" LONG ago. JMO.

As far as the "bus barn" and drivers, nothing is instant. The administration at central office and the transportation office work together to make the determination as FAST as possible and get the word out. Sounds like the bus drivers are on the ball and get the word out quickly!!!! It takes a bit longer to communicate to the whole county in every manner. I am just thankful that safety is the priority. :clapping:

• Like 5

Ms Cobb, we have received calls twice last night, twice this morning, and now you decide. After many years of this, this is not the way you do it. Parents, children and teachers that drive are already in motion. Make the tough decision early and not wait.

From the Paulding county school websit: Inclement Weather Announcement

UPDATE: Schools have been closed due to the potential for hazardous road conditions on Thursday, 12/16, for all students. All 12 month employees however must report in at 10:00 am.

- Posted 8:45 am 12/16/2010

As funny as I find it that the info about school being closed was posted here and was on facebook before the county website was updated how many people were really sitting at their computers clicking refresh on PCSD website? Yeah, I had a window open to it but I had another on here, one on facebook and the tv on. Whether intentional or not the fastest way to get the word out is places like FB and P.com and to get the word out to the media.

• Like 1

Ms Cobb, we have received calls twice last night, twice this morning, and now you decide. After many years of this, this is not the way you do it. Parents, children and teachers that drive are already in motion. Make the tough decision early and not wait.

I don't think SHE decided this. She was just the person who was kind enough to come on PCom and let us know.

As funny as I find it that the info about school being closed was posted here and was on facebook before the county website was updated how many people were really sitting at their computers clicking refresh on PCSD website? Yeah, I had a window open to it but I had another on here, one on facebook and the tv on. Whether intentional or not the fastest way to get the word out is places like FB and P.com and to get the word out to the media.

pcom is my main and best source when there's dangerous weather and all. This place probably saved my life during the flood, I was all set to try it that morning and postings here from residents kept me home, safe.

I am grateful that we have good people to make these decisions so you can have someone to criticize.

These are not magical beings that have eyes everywhere, my area was clearing before sun up this morning.

The weather inconvenienced, surprised and even scared many.

Must feel good to have a public official to take the frustration out on.

• Like 2

Additionally, this can't always be done remotely. In this case it might have been that the Central Office had to wait for someone to get to the office to make the change to the site.

From handling several websites, and no, I don't do the School System's website, I would imagine that the Central Office wanted to contact the schools / bus barn / etc, before having the info placed on their website.....

Official-

After a review of isolated and secondary roads, hazardous road conditions still exist this morning making bus travel unsafe. Schools will be closed today for all students. ONLY twelve month employees should report. High school final exams will be postponed, please check your school's website for updates. Student safety is our priority.

P.S. Thank you for being patient for official announcement from superintendent. We want to insure that you recieve accurate information.

It would be really great if they would update the district website too, it still shows delayed start! Not everyone knows about Pcom, not everyone gets the calls. Last year I received the calls, this year my hubby has gotten them and I haven't heard a word (need to check on that!). There should be a consistent way of notifying the parents/ staff.

Lots of confused parents and kids, website says this, I got this call, 2nd cousin says she heard from, well you know how it goes. In the past 30 minutes I've gotten a ton of calls asking- "what have you heard?"

It would be really great if they would update the district website too, it still shows delayed start! Not everyone knows about Pcom, not everyone gets the calls. Last year I received the calls, this year my hubby has gotten them and I haven't heard a word (need to check on that!). There should be a consistent way of notifying the parents/ staff.

Lots of confused parents and kids, website says this, I got this call, 2nd cousin says she heard from, well you know how it goes. In the past 30 minutes I've gotten a ton of calls asking- "what have you heard?"

I found the paulding.k12.ga.us website to be updated as of 8:45am.

You are correct. I DO NOT decide NOR have any input on daily operating decisions of the school district. THE BOE does NOT do this. Central/District office and "board" are NOT interchangeable terms. Each entity has very distinct duties to follow to remain LEGAL. I know it can be confusing at times especially when frustrated. :pardon:

There are many people that hear the word before me and I am okay with that too. If a call goes out to a bus driver before I get a call or text, well, I am fine with that.

I cannot add to nor change the school website nor the news stations but I can post on here. I am sorry if it is not appreciated that I may hold off 2 minutes to get an accurate statement to post but I DO NOT regret it because most folks do appreciate it. :clapping:

I can post unofficial or official (when asked to). If it is a manner of 2-3 minutes, I think the public would rather get an official word than a rumor. JMO

Ms. Cobb was assigned the task of informing the members and guest on this site while others were sending the message to tv and radio, updating the website and starting a new robo call with the new message.

Sheeze people, they are doing the best they can and yall are letting Ms. Cobb have it because you are frustrated.

She nor anyone else caused an ice storm during finals week.

Next you are going to have a fit when there is Saturday, it wasn't icy at my house, we had plans for Saturday BLA BLA BLA.

• Like 2

I'm sure it was a difficult decision to make with the finals that were scheduled for today and Christmas break coming up - ultimately the safety of the children won out. I didn't see any ice this morning but I did see lots of stranded cars which would make it difficult for buses to maneuver on some of these narrow roads.

I second this, These parents are sitting, needing to be at work, calling thier job because of a 2 hour delay, boss says o.k. so still waiting to take kids to school, oh wait school has been closed, now who is babysitting or calling work saying, I cannot make it due to needing to get a sitter or I just cannot come in, Kim Cobb, get it together.

• Like 1

From handling several websites, and no, I don't do the School System's website, I would imagine that the Central Office wanted to contact the schools / bus barn / etc, before having the info placed on their website.....

I agree. I can post but I have no idea how the websites are handled!!!! I think if I learned it technology would change it the next day!!! I will just stick to posting and let others do what they do best!!!

If it was on the PCSD website 10 minutes earlier, I am afraid folks would just think of something else negative to say. <_< Sad but true........... Life is too short as far as I am concerned but the point is taken.

I have to agree with this. I wasn't looking on the PCSD website. I was sitting here sipping my coffee, tv on in the background, facebook up and Pcom in another window waiting for the time to come so I could tell the kids to get ready for the bus.

I don't care how late the message came, I'm thankful that the county checked out the roads and determined it was not safe. Just because it may be clear in our area doesn't mean its not worse elsewhere and no life is worth risking.

• Like 2

When I checked the website at 8:46 (yes I looked) it was showing that schools were closed. Maybe you need to refresh your page, I don't know why yours didn't show it.

I took this post from the other topic that Kim had started:

I just received a message from Mr. Cliff Cole that he wanted passed along to our p.com community:

I would just like to say I for one appreciate the fact that our superintendent realizes that a speedy way to get the word out is to use pcom.

Thanks again Kim :clapping:

I second this, These parents are sitting, needing to be at work, calling thier job because of a 2 hour delay, boss says o.k. so still waiting to take kids to school, oh wait school has been closed, now who is babysitting or calling work saying, I cannot make it due to needing to get a sitter or I just cannot come in, Kim Cobb, get it together.

What would you like me to get together??? Please explain. I just posted the info to be helpful.

• Like 2

for some reason this post has hit a nerve with me.

first of all a parent should always have a back up sitter for occasions like this.

second of all the BOE is more concerned with the child's safety and their employees safety then a parent who is worried about a baby sitter.

I know parents have to work, I know that when school is out unexpectedly that it puts parents in a bind, but at least one time a year school is called so parents should have a back up plan and not count on the school to always be open.

This has always puzzled me on how SOME parents depend on the school system to watch their child while they work.

when I worked I always had a back up sitter for times like this. :pardon:

• Like 6

first of all a parent should always have a back up sitter for occasions like this.

second of all the BOE is more concerned with the child's safety and their employees safety then a parent who is worried about a baby sitter.

I know parents have to work, I know that when school is out unexpectedly that it puts parents in a bind, but at least one time a year school is called so parents should have a back up plan and not count on the school to always be open.

This has always puzzled me on how SOME parents depend on the school system to watch their child while they work.

when I worked I always had a back sitter for times like this. :pardon:

:clapping: :clapping:

I took this post from the other topic that Kim had started:

I just received a message from Mr. Cliff Cole that he wanted passed along to our p.com community:

I would just like to say I for one appreciate the fact that our superintendent realizes that a speedy way to get the word out is to use pcom.

Thanks again Kim :clapping:

LR you are very welcome. It would be helpful if our citizens would learn how our county government and our school systems are governed and operate. Some things that are requested are NOT LEGAL and can only hurt our community and its citizens. I would rather take the complaint than RISK crossing the line of board ethics.

Edited by Kim Cobb PCSB Post 3
  • Like 1

What would you like me to get together??? Please explain. I just posted the info to be helpful.

Thanks for posting the info.

I'm sure a lot of the frustrations listed out here are not in your direct control, but you can certainly make the appropriate staff aware of the concerns and evaluate if there are opportunities for improvement that are reasonable to implement.

Thank you.

when I worked I always had a back up sitter for times like this. :pardon:

PCom needs a like button.

Very well said.

• Like 1