Paulding.com

Septic tank pumped.....but found out

Our house was built in 1993. We were the original owners. We've never had the septic tank pumped and it's worked fine for almost 20 years. My parents never touched theirs in almost 40 years.

A lot depends on whether the ground will perk well. If not, you may be just using the tank as temporary storage of your stuff and you'll have to have it pumped every few years. If your septic tank is working properly you should have to mess with it for a long time. Many houses in Paulding have been built on property that won't perk but the Health Department has simply turned its head. I guess they were thinking that eventually everyone would soon be on public sewer and septic tanks would only be temporary.

You know what they say about assuming anything- made an a$$ of myself there-so sorry!! Thank you for all the info, and you will be getting a call after we try that. We were told that it is at the beggining stages of a problem, so maybe a stronger enzyme will help. The previous owner had an "insinkerator", you know, the thing that chops up food so you can put it down the drain. Another stupid move-you can't use them on a septic line!! We removed it when we bought the place, and have always used enzymes, but maybe that's the root of the problem. We had a back-up within a few months of getting the place-I bet they knew they had a problem and didn't tell us when we purchased it. They were good friends too!

You could check a couple of other things as well. A 3 bedroom septic system is designed to handle about 8000 gallons of water each month. You can check your water bill and make sure that you are not using over that amount of water. If so, you could check for running toilets or dripping faucets. The other thing to check is make sure that your gutter downspouts do not empty over your drain field lines. Also you want to make sure that there is not any rain water that stands over your field lines. If you have any of these conditions, try to divert the water away from your system. I wish you the best with your system!

Hey, we built a storage building on top of ours in Clayton County because we went by the map that they county had on record. Ooops! Couldn't have been more wrong. It was quite a sight to see us trying to move an entire building off the thing with a huge hill at the edge of the building.

Took pictures of both tanks being installed a this house. Still, the front one somehow ended up underneath the front landscaped area. So much for the bushes and such. Still trying to figure out what to put there to fill it back in (right in the middle of a front shrubby area). I guess a little removable bench with a few pavers is the only option.

Speaking of...workinmom: if you really want a patio area, you could use pavers. It would be a pain to remove them if/when you had to drain the tank but at least you could if you had to, and still have your patio the rest of the time. That's what we've done. Our back tank comes under the deck just a little, so...pavers in that section.