Paulding.com

Richard Petty and Southeastern Dragway in Dallas, Ga

I believe it's still there under all the weeds and mounds of dirt that have been piled up. Isn't the land for sale?

Actually, the land sold.

The child in 1965 was not the only person to die there. Back in 2007, a private plane experienced some trouble and sought to land there killing the pilot. A second plane, they were flying in tandem, also landed and later took off from the strip.

In 2009 the property was leased to the movie production company doing the funeral scene from movie Get Low. The movie was actually filmed at Pickett's Mill State Park nearby.

Here's the video of the plane taking off:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72_ejIipivE

pubby

My mother told me about this years ago.

He and his crew got their stuff together quick and left town just after the accident. No apology or anything. It made a lot of people angry, but she thought they were probably just afraid of what might happen to them in a small town.

Edited by Mariposa

What a shame that this sold for a subdivision. The county and Travis Tritt were bidding

on it but lost out I heard. Counties should not get rid of things like this. Shame. John.

I grew up with the drag strip in operation and went a few times myself. My current subdivision is maybe 1/4 of a mile from the drag strip. We have been in this house since it was new in 1998. For a few years the drag strip was still open and operating after hubby bought the house. I know because you could hear the race announcer, the fans, and just about everything else from my back deck. Most of us in the neighborhood never thought of it as a nuisance, so I am not sure why it would have "sold for a subdivision". It closed down long before it was ever sold.

Ya.. I remember sitting on the back porch of my house, and though I couldn't hear the announcers.. I could most certainly hear the cars racing. It was pretty fun hearing that in a summer night.. though I never actually went there. It is wild that in the 80's Paulding County was still considered the boondocks.. Like there was nothing but woods and hill billys living out there, lol.. Hell they were still making moonshine in the late 70's, early 80s back in Paulding county. I know because my neighbor was a runner.. lol. He would take his muscle car, paint it black, and then run the liquer to Atlanta and back.If the police ever chased him he would just turn off the lights and dissapear... wish we still had that maybury feel..

Actually, the land sold.

The child in 1965 was not the only person to die there. Back in 2007, a private plane experienced some trouble and sought to land there killing the pilot. A second plane, they were flying in tandem, also landed and later took off from the strip.

In 2009 the property was leased to the movie production company doing the funeral scene from movie Get Low. The movie was actually filmed at Pickett's Mill State Park nearby.

pubby

when leased to the movie production company who was paid the money? the county or ??????

I hate seeing it sitting there not being used

I have never heard that the county was a party/owner of the drag strip.

In terms of zoning, because the drag strip existed prior to 1969 when the county enacted the first zoning regulations; the drag strip operation was 'grandfathered' ... although I don't think that they could 'expand' under that format.

The drag strip was, btw, an 1/8th mile strip, not a full quarter-mile track and so, while it was a great show - it was not able to bring the big players consistently and the grandfathering prevented any significant upgrade/expansion to the property.

The only thing the county did with the property was, prior to its sale, rezone it as a planned residential development. This was likely because there was a plan to get sewerage to the property.

The decision to close the track was, I suspect, based on the pure economics. It was a money maker to the end but the appreciation of the property - this sold pretty much right at the peak of the building boom - was just too much. I don't know the exact figures but land of that caliber (right near both Picketts Mill and Mt. Tabor Parks) could have sold at close to $100,000/acre or maybe more.

I don't know where Travis Tritt comes into the equation. The only thing I've ever heard regarding Tritt and the county was some property along Bill Carruth Parkway ... but that is a whole other thing and it was one of those hearsay, hersay, hesays ... what you say??

pubby

• 9 years later...
On 12/3/2010 at 3:24 AM, msgastorm said:

I grew up with the drag strip in operation and went a few times myself. My current subdivision is maybe 1/4 of a mile from the drag strip. We have been in this house since it was new in 1998. For a few years the drag strip was still open and operating after hubby bought the house. I know because you could hear the race announcer, the fans, and just about everything else from my back deck. Most of us in the neighborhood never thought of it as a nuisance, so I am not sure why it would have "sold for a subdivision". It closed down long before it was ever sold.

The property sold after M.F. Jones and my father David R. Banks passed away in 2004 our property  62 ac. backed up to the strip making the 110 ac. There was never a bidding war. The Saffron Corp. approached our families with offers and after deliberations the Jones and Banks family sold. We were told by the Saffron Corp. they were planning on building home and a shopping strip but later decided not to. 

It was a fun place we all enjoyed, my dad and brother raced motorcycles back in the day. Loved living on the property most of my life and still live in Paulding County. Thought some might want the true story. Yvonne Banks

On 12/2/2010 at 11:21 AM, 2shortontime said:

History of our Dallas Southeastern Dragstrip and Richard Petty that we all heard about way back when in a story here at NASCAR.com

NASCAR Story

On 12/2/2010 at 11:21 AM, 2shortontime said:

History of our Dallas Southeastern Dragstrip and Richard Petty that we all heard about way back when in a story here at NASCAR.com

NASCAR Story

On 12/5/2010 at 12:35 AM, gpatt0n said:

I have never heard that the county was a party/owner of the drag strip.

In terms of zoning, because the drag strip existed prior to 1969 when the county enacted the first zoning regulations; the drag strip operation was 'grandfathered' ... although I don't think that they could 'expand' under that format.

The drag strip was, btw, an 1/8th mile strip, not a full quarter-mile track and so, while it was a great show - it was not able to bring the big players consistently and the grandfathering prevented any significant upgrade/expansion to the property.

The only thing the county did with the property was, prior to its sale, rezone it as a planned residential development. This was likely because there was a plan to get sewerage to the property.

The decision to close the track was, I suspect, based on the pure economics. It was a money maker to the end but the appreciation of the property - this sold pretty much right at the peak of the building boom - was just too much. I don't know the exact figures but land of that caliber (right near both Picketts Mill and Mt. Tabor Parks) could have sold at close to $100,000/acre or maybe more.

I don't know where Travis Tritt comes into the equation. The only thing I've ever heard regarding Tritt and the county was some property along Bill Carruth Parkway ... but that is a whole other thing and it was one of those hearsay, hersay, hesays ... what you say??

pubby

The property sold after M.F. Jones and my father David R. Banks passed away in 2004 our property  62 ac. backed up to the strip making the 110 ac. There was never a bidding war. The Saffron Corp. approached our families with offers and after deliberations the Jones and Banks family sold. We were told by the Saffron Corp. they were planning on building home and a shopping strip but later decided not to. 

It was a fun place we all enjoyed, my dad and brother raced motorcycles back in the day. Loved living on the property most of my life and still live in Paulding County. Thought some might want the true story. Yvonne Banks

• Like 1
On 12/2/2010 at 1:13 PM, gpatt0n said:

Actually, the land sold.

pubby

Accually they only parked some vehicles for the movie Get Low there, none of the movie was filmed there. Wish it had been my dad liked Robert Duvall they were both born in 1934.

Mr, S the owner has no intention of opening another track or building at the time, but will keep all posted.. Yvonne

Edited by Yvonne Banks
Added to
  • Like 1

The property sold after M.F. Jones and my father David R. Banks passed away in 2004 our property  62 ac. backed up to the strip making the 110 ac. There was never a bidding war. The Saffron Corp. approached our families with offers and after deliberations the Jones and Banks family sold. We were told by the Saffron Corp. they were planning on building homes and a shopping strip but later decided not to. 

None ofthe movie Get Low was filmed on the property they only parked so of their there.. wish it had my Dad liked Robert  Duvall they were both born in 1934.

30 minutes ago, Yvonne Banks said:

The property sold after M.F. Jones and my father David R. Banks passed away in 2004 our property  62 ac. backed up to the strip making the 110 ac. There was never a bidding war. The Saffron Corp. approached our families with offers and after deliberations the Jones and Banks family sold. We were told by the Saffron Corp. they were planning on building homes and a shopping strip but later decided not to. 

None ofthe movie Get Low was filmed on the property they only parked so of their there.. wish it had my Dad liked Robert  Duvall they were both born in 1934.

Yvonne,

Thank you for taking the time to share a Lil' History here on p.com :good:

would love to get  your story and put a hook in the water :wub:

TTYS

Caped :hi:

770-833-2175 cell/text

On 1/9/2020 at 12:00 PM, Yvonne Banks said:

Yvonne we knew your Dad, we would visit him often, and we fished in the lake.  he was a nice man.. 

On 1/13/2020 at 11:47 AM, Lady Raider said:

from what i understand  there will be 300 homes put there, the developing has already started, 

I think I’m gonna have to go pull my best James Rockford find out what’s going on !

😎

• 3 weeks later...

It’s many years after this posting but I live on part of the property it’s a manufactured home park. I wanted to let everyone know that the child has never been forgotten. RIP little one. 

Edited by Lovewolves4'
Granddaughter hit send button lol
  • Like 1