Paulding.com

Any restaurants take checks anymore?

Why?

I was in the grocery line behind someone that was writing a check. Why would anyone write a check these days?

Good question, especially at a restaurant. The days of floating a check for a day or two are gone. They are posted electronically and can come through almost as fast as a debit.

maybe she lost her debit card and has to use checks until her new card comes in and doesn't have time to go to the bank today.

or sometimes I'll write a check for gas or groceries the night before my check goes in. I don't keep checks for that reason, but it's nice to have the option if it's needed.

Good question, especially at a restaurant. The days of floating a check for a day or two are gone. They are posted electronically and can come through almost as fast as a debit.

That's what popped in my mind...the whole "floating a check" thing. But then i thought that surely someone wouldn't float a check to GO OUT TO EAT. And then I thought that maybe they lost their debit card and couldn't get to the bank during business hours to take out money. I went with the benefit of the doubt.

Lots of people nay say credit cards, but the latter reason is exactly why I have them. Well, and points.

or sometimes I'll write a check for gas or groceries the night before my check goes in. I don't keep checks for that reason, but it's nice to have the option if it's needed.

Be careful with that, some smaller places are converting the checks to a debit on the spot and handing the check back to you.

BTW - I understand if it's a lost debit card.

Then there are some people I've talked with who won't have one out of fear people would raid their account daily. Their hair dresser's son-in-law's cousin had one and was always needing help because couldn't keep the thieves away from their bank account.

maybe she lost her debit card and has to use checks until her new card comes in and doesn't have time to go to the bank today.

I was coming back on here to answer that and I see you already have me taken care of :)

I love how you know me so well :wub:

Be careful with that, some smaller places are converting the checks to a debit on the spot and handing the check back to you.

it's really rare that i have to, and I only do it at one place, but I always ask first....that would stink to get a ODP fee the night before my paycheck went in.....it'd stink anytime, but it'd really chap my hide if it was the night before. :mellow:

Last year I was shocked when I went to Mrs. Wlikes boarding house for lunch, they only accept cash or checks NO credit or debit. We have a rule in our house though, if we don't have the cash to go out to eat then we eat at home. Now I am not bashing the OP, because I have had to use my credit card in a restaurant before in a pinch we just try not to do that if possible.

People still write checks in 2010??

:blink:

yeah, i use them for my daycare and my monthly utilities....I don't like being charged a fee to make a payment over the phone and I don't get paid the same day each month so I don't want them drafting out for me automatically. Plus my online Bill Pay blows, so it's just easier for me that way.

Apparently. ^_^

And up until a couple months ago I was still using a payphone. ;)

lol. when you told me about the payphone a few months ago I was like "For real?! Where are there any left?!"

Some people prefer the better documentation a check provides, too. A lot of businesses process debit cards under a different name and it can be a PITA for some people to have to figure out what ABC Enterprises is when they don't recall ever patronizing a business of that name only to find out later that 123 Inc. processes debits under the ABC Enterprises name. (This sort of thing is very common.) Meanwhile, a check is very clear.

Some people prefer the better documentation a check provides, too. A lot of businesses process debit cards under a different name and it can be a PITA for some people to have to figure out what ABC Enterprises is when they don't recall ever patronizing a business of that name only to find out later that 123 Inc. processes debits under the ABC Enterprises name. (This sort of thing is very common.) Meanwhile, a check is very clear.

Hence, why I pay for nearly everything with a credit card. Convenience meets security.

Last year I was shocked when I went to Mrs. Wlikes boarding house for lunch, they only accept cash or checks NO credit or debit. We have a rule in our house though, if we don't have the cash to go out to eat then we eat at home. Now I am not bashing the OP, because I have had to use my credit card in a restaurant before in a pinch we just try not to do that if possible.

Frontier in Rockmat was the same way last time I viisted them.

Plus with the checks where you automatically get a "copy" of it, I can file the "copy" within my medical expenses/bills files or the charity donations or ??? and get a copy for tax purposes :)

Then there are some people I've talked with who won't have one out of fear people would raid their account daily. Their hair dresser's son-in-law's cousin had one and was always needing help because couldn't keep the thieves away from their bank account.

HAHAHAHAHAA :good: