Paulding.com

Mulberry Quarry expansion

We should be very afraid of increasing jobs around here.

It might make people want to stay.

A quarry is certainly not the worst neighbor you could have.

Dump trucks are pretty dangerous on the roads with you, but even that is another job.

Let's all hope they do expand.

I was at the Planning & Zoning meeting for another reason when this particular issue came before the board. I can't really say I am for or against the expansion. It is unfortunate the Planning & Zoning approved subdivisions neighboring the quarry as they are primarily impacted. Apparently the weekly (based on rock needed) blasting is causing damage to the houses and the health of the people according to said people. Also, because this quarry provides the type of rock needed for asphalt the only tenant based at the quarry sometimes runs trucks all night for paving projects. I suppose another way to look at this is that perhaps the quarry should have purchased more land to provide a greater buffer since its beginnings in the late 1980’s to ensure that future growth wouldn't A. land lock them and B. become a conflict with residents.

It is really a long and sorted story with no one person to blame. As it stands now the quarry will be in operation for something like 50 or more years. Good news for the quarry and the jobs it maintains but bad new to the subdivision dwellers.

I suppose this would be a prudent time for the Planning & Zoning to restrict future types of developments around that quarry and other quarries to at least maintain a standard of living in Paulding But who am I to say… :)

Gem Man 86 :)

I was at the Planning & Zoning meeting for another reason when this particular issue came before the board. I can't really say I am for or against the expansion. It is unfortunate the Planning & Zoning approved subdivisions neighboring the quarry as they are primarily impacted. Apparently the weekly (based on rock needed) blasting is causing damage to the houses and the health of the people according to said people. Also, because this quarry provides the type of rock needed for asphalt the only tenant based at the quarry sometimes runs trucks all night for paving projects. I suppose another way to look at this is that perhaps the quarry should have purchased more land to provide a greater buffer since its beginnings in the late 1980's to ensure that future growth wouldn't A. land lock them and B. become a conflict with residents.

It is really a long and sorted story with no one person to blame. As it stands now the quarry will be in operation for something like 50 or more years. Good news for the quarry and the jobs it maintains but bad new to the subdivision dwellers.

I suppose this would be a prudent time for the Planning & Zoning to restrict future types of developments around that quarry and other quarries to at least maintain a standard of living in Paulding But who am I to say… :)

Gem Man 86 :)

Planning & Zoning Huh? Might as well have called them the "Rubber Stamp Committee". If it was for one of the local RBMDs it would be approved.

Planning ? I don't think there was much planning at all. The Planning was more geared around "How much can we make on this and how quickly ?". The Planning was just not there when we needed it. And the people of Paulding will be paying the price for a generation to come.

While it would have been nice if our county had denied the subdivision that is right there, you have to wonder why anybody would buy a house there, knowing full well what their immediate neighbor is. It's like buying a place that backs up to the WMA and then getting mad about a bunch of leaves falling in your yard. Or buying at the edge of a swamp and being mad about the insects. No, the subdivision shouldn't have been approved but anyone paying even the least amount of attention to what they are doing would know what they were getting into. Now, if the quarry had been permitted after the homes, I could be sympathetic to the homeowners.

While it would have been nice if our county had denied the subdivision that is right there, you have to wonder why anybody would buy a house there, knowing full well what their immediate neighbor is. It's like buying a place that backs up to the WMA and then getting mad about a bunch of leaves falling in your yard. Or buying at the edge of a swamp and being mad about the insects. No, the subdivision shouldn't have been approved but anyone paying even the least amount of attention to what they are doing would know what they were getting into. Now, if the quarry had been permitted after the homes, I could be sympathetic to the homeowners.

^ What she said.

Planning & zoning board? What a joke!

Had any planning been put into this county, there could have easily been areas for jobs and homes. But when they allow thousands of homes to be built EVERYWHERE, to build the tax income, (so the say) there are going to be conflicts.

Maybe the quarrey can be successful enough in the future, to purchase some of the homes that were built & purchased AFTER the quarry began operating there.

• 2 weeks later...