Paulding.com

So many of the races were blowouts. I think it had less to do with candidates and more to do with parties. I do understand people's sentiments as far as that is concerned, I am just worried we threw out the baby with the bathwater. I don't know that I would consider any of them a personal victory. It was more of a party statement. The majority of us are tired of the way things are. I can live with that. I still stand by my personal votes, but I will live with yours. (Without being a jerk about it either way. That doesn't honor anybody.)

The results are what they are. I am not happy with who we are sending to Atlanta to represent our county, but I will work hard to change that situation in the next primary.

The one result that really bothers me and just boggles my mind, because it can't be changed, is that this state just voted to allow employers to keep you from working in your field of expertise, in the event that they fire you or you quit. Literally, they could come to you today and make you sign a non-compete agreement and fire you tomorrow and you will not be allowed to go work for a competitor or start your own business in the same field. It was grossly misrepresented in the presentation on the ballot.

• Like 5

I am, however, going to complain about the ESPLOST (in case you didn't see my rant on the fastread page).

That was STUPID. Why in the world did you vote us a tax increase? You do realize that you cost us our ability to write off what we pay extra for property tax right? And that you won't get ANY BENEFIT by paying more for what you buy, right?

I don't mind you folks choosing representatives, but I am super irritated that I have to live with your stupid ESPLOST vote AGAIN. You people NEVER LEARN. Jeez. Dang it. Going to bed. Mad.

I am, however, going to complain about the ESPLOST (in case you didn't see my rant on the fastread page).

That was STUPID. Why in the world did you vote us a tax increase? You do realize that you cost us our ability to write off what we pay extra for property tax right? And that you won't get ANY BENEFIT by paying more for what you buy, right?

I don't mind you folks choosing representatives, but I am super irritated that I have to live with your stupid ESPLOST vote AGAIN. You people NEVER LEARN. Jeez. Dang it. Going to bed. Mad.

You know, you do have the CHOICE to shop in Paulding or not. You DON'T have to pay the SPLOST if YOU don't want to. All of us here HAVE to pay the Property tax.

Use your CHOICE and shop elsewhere and gain both ways. Cobb/Douglas/Polk/Bartow Counties are ready when you are.

You know, you do have the CHOICE to shop in Paulding or not. You DON'T have to pay the SPLOST if YOU don't want to. All of us here HAVE to pay the Property tax.

Use your CHOICE and shop elsewhere and gain both ways. Cobb/Douglas/Polk/Bartow Counties are ready when you are.

I thought you were going to tell me to move. lol.

I like this county. But I like it just as it is. No more of anything needed (that is capital outlay).

If they hike out property tax anyway, you will please PM me your address so I can TP your house. You can keep the TP, which I will buy locally.

I am cutting back on my purchases, though, but not out of spite. I will give my $.01 to this county, just only for necessities. Not a bad way to be in this economy.

The results are what they are. I am not happy with who we are sending to Atlanta to represent our county, but I will work hard to change that situation in the next primary.

The one result that really bothers me and just boggles my mind, because it can't be changed, is that this state just voted to allow employers to keep you from working in your field of expertise, in the event that they fire you or you quit. Literally, they could come to you today and make you sign a non-compete agreement and fire you tomorrow and you will not be allowed to go work for a competitor or start your own business in the same field. It was grossly misrepresented in the presentation on the ballot.

Truly shocking. I cannot think what those who voted yes were thinking! I also think that somebody got the legislators (or whoever writes this crap) to word it as being a reeeeeally good thing, when it SO was not. sigh

I agree! I sure wish people had done their research on this Amendment before voting instead of just clicking on "yes" next to everything! :angry:

you do realize the splost passing is going to mean nothing different when it takes effect compared to today or tommorow or next week. The education splost has been around for a while. The vote on it was to keep it not implement it. I for one am glad that it passed. Without it our education system would be in a lot more trouble. Thank you to all those who voted for the education splost

you do realize the splost passing is going to mean nothing different when it takes effect compared to today or tommorow or next week. The education splost has been around for a while. The vote on it was to keep it not implement it. I for one am glad that it passed. Without it our education system would be in a lot more trouble. Thank you to all those who voted for the education splost

What?

This one is supposed to pay off the debt from the last one. It would get paid either way. Bonds are supposed to be paid by property tax that can then be deducted. They are just getting the money a different way, that you can't personally deduct now.

I swear, if something says "R" or "education" it is a sure thing in Georgia this year, whether it makes any sense or not. :rolleyes:

This one really isn't doing anything for the schools, it is mainly for the property owners. It's making 5 years of payments on the 125 million bond that was passed by the voters several years ago.

If it happens to collect more than the bond payments, then the schools can use the extra for capital projects, but that will be several years down the road. (if ever)

I thought you were going to tell me to move. lol.

Would never do that! Who knows you might turn out to be right and if you moved, who would tell me so later? :)

In any case, to me, this one really is situation dependent. I feel it was not a matter of being "right" or "wrong" on the issue. For many people, not having the SPLOST was the right choice, for others having it was. Depends on where you live and where you shop and if you are a property owner vs renter. Your point on deductability of the tax was a good one I hadn't thought of, I appreciate you bringing it up.

BTW: I apologize if I sounded too sharp there, it was a late night.

Cheers!

Would never do that! Who knows you might turn out to be right and if you moved, who would tell me so later? :)

In any case, to me, this one really is situation dependent. I feel it was not a matter of being "right" or "wrong" on the issue. For many people, not having the SPLOST was the right choice, for others having it was. Depends on where you live and where you shop and if you are a property owner vs renter. Your point on deductability of the tax was a good one I hadn't thought of, I appreciate you bringing it up.

BTW: I apologize if I sounded too sharp there, it was a late night.

Cheers!

Edit to add:

Just wanted to add that if the board tried to get it passed for *anything* other than tax relief, I'd voted against it in a heartbeat.

This one really isn't doing anything for the schools, it is mainly for the property owners. It's making 5 years of payments on the 125 million bond that was passed by the voters several years ago.

If it happens to collect more than the bond payments, then the schools can use the extra for capital projects, but that will be several years down the road. (if ever)

It's a $90 million SPLOST with around $55M being used to cover the bond payments. The other $35M will be used for capital improvements, as indicated by the language of the SPLOST. The approximately 3 mils being currently used to pay the bond theoretically equates to the $55M anticipated to be generated from the 1% sales tax. However, as for the remaining $35M additional revenue we just passed, it is, indeed, a significant tax which will be used to cover future capital projects. Now, we will have to see whether the School Board does, in fact, reduce the millage rate by 3 mils, as it indicated it would. In order to offset all of the $90M in anticipated new revenue, the School Board actually needs to reduce the millage rate by around 5 mils, not 3; otherwise, the net effect will mean more revenue to the government and, therefore, more spending. And yes, I understand that this is a continuation of a 1% sales tax already in effect.

It's a $90 million SPLOST with around $55M being used to cover the bond payments. The other $35M will be used for capital improvements, as indicated by the language of the SPLOST. The approximately 3 mils being currently used to pay the bond theoretically equates to the $55M anticipated to be generated from the 1% sales tax. However, as for the remaining $35M additional revenue we just passed, it is, indeed, a significant tax which will be used to cover future capital projects. Now, we will have to see whether the School Board does, in fact, reduce the millage rate by 3 mils, as it indicated it would. In order to offset all of the $90M in anticipated new revenue, the School Board actually needs to reduce the millage rate by around 5 mils, not 3; otherwise, the net effect will mean more revenue to the government and, therefore, more spending. And yes, I understand that this is a continuation of a 1% sales tax already in effect.

The 90 million is a theoretical maximum, not a guarantee. A sales tax is based on in-county spending. They collect what they collect. With the slowdown and loss of businesses in the county, I don't expect a huge windfall for the schools from this.

I don't remember where I read it, but I think I saw somewhere that the existing SPLOST is now estimated to only raise approx $65 million total of the 90 million authorized and that includes three years of boom before the housing bust two years ago.

If you look at your tax bill, you will see that for the last few years, the 1% LOST has generated right at 3 mils worth of income, so again, I don't see any great windfall profit here for the schools.