Paulding.com

Teachers Against Barnes

Barnes really dumped on the teachers before. He lies about everything he does.

Do you think you can trust a person who as Governor screwed teachers before?

This is exactly why I won't vote for him. He didn't give a crap about teachers or the education system before. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice - shame on me. I cannot believe the teachers are even considering voting for this guy. GAE sure seems to have a short memory. :wacko:

This is exactly why I won't vote for him. He didn't give a crap about teachers or the education system before. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice - shame on me. I cannot believe the teachers are even considering voting for this guy. GAE sure seems to have a short memory. :wacko:

But, but, he said he was sorry. :pardon:

• Like 1

Okay, so this is what the teachers are mad about? I just read through this and it seems to me all it does is eliminates job security for people that are not performing the job they are paid (with taxpayer money) to perform. Welcome to my world.

Read it and explain to me why a good, hard working teacher would have a problem with this. Might explain why some teachers realize that Barnes wasn't afraid to ruffle some feathers to make things right and they are supporting him.

http://coefaculty.valdosta.edu/lschmert/gera/vol3no1/Tenuress-grubbs.pdf

Okay, so this is what the teachers are mad about? I just read through this and it seems to me all it does is eliminates job security for people that are not performing the job they are paid (with taxpayer money) to perform. Welcome to my world.

Read it and explain to me why a good, hard working teacher would have a problem with this. Might explain why some teachers realize that Barnes wasn't afraid to ruffle some feathers to make things right and they are supporting him.

I have my ideas but I think I'll leave this to the teachers that had tenure taken away. ;)

I have my ideas but I think I'll leave this to the teachers that had tenure taken away. ;)

I'm sure I don't understand all the dynamics. I would like to know. Is this not eliminating job security for the underachievers?

Can you tell me what other employers offer tenure. I have some problems believing this

is ok. Classfied employees for the school system do not have tenure. Some of these

folks are just as important as the teachers for the schools to operate. So I have mixed

emotions about tenure. Do any of you that don't teach have tenure?

Can you tell me what other employers offer tenure. I have some problems believing this

is ok. Classfied employees for the school system do not have tenure. Some of these

folks are just as important as the teachers for the schools to operate. So I have mixed

emotions about tenure. Do any of you that don't teach have tenure?

For some it was the reason they chose teaching as a profession. It was a perk of the job. We all know how they are appreciated and the pay and benefits are so wonderful!!

If you're not an airline pilot you probably don't get free flights either. ;)

Even in my first job, longest there got the best vacation weeks, pure and simple. Mr. Barnes took out some teacher aides one year, and had to put them back in the next. He was told to slow down, yes, I supported him. But, as other elected officials do, when you put them in, they forget who got them there, and basically will not listen. He has promised the world to the teachers, cannot believe GAE would endorse either. This will also carry over with the BOE here next time....they will not listen....

When Barnes was in office before , he did what he always does, he lied. He has always been somewhat deceitful.

He made promises to teachers and did not keep them. He treated the teachers unprofessionally.

He has already offered an apology, so he admits he was wrong. The problem is how many times can you trust a rabid pitbull.

Still all I am hearing is a bunch of bitching but nobody is explaining anything.

Foxster, you think it might be that all three teachers on your street are REPUBLICANS? :wacko:

They said a lot of the teachers they work with aren't voting for Barnes either. Do you think they are all Republicans as well?

You must be the brat that flunked out of school.

Not even! Let me type slowly so that you may comprehend. It would be hypocritical of me to hold it against Barnes for screwing teachers. Maybe you''re not hip to the double entendre? Or is your self-esteem so low that you couldn't read for a possible second meaning because you were so pumped at the chance to hurl an insult? My guess is, "both".

• Like 1

Not even! Let me type slowly so that you may comprehend. It would be hypocritical of me to hold it against Barnes for screwing teachers. Maybe you''re not hip to the double entendre? Or is your self-esteem so low that you couldn't read for a possible second meaning because you were so pumped at the chance to hurl an insult? My guess is, "both".

I apologize. I responded too quickly but you may think a little too much of yourself.

• Like 1

Barnes really dumped on the teachers before. He lies about everything he does.

Do you think you can trust a person who as Governor screwed teachers before?

Barnes is an idiot and I can't believe the audasity he has to run again.

If you believe everything you read, there isn't an honest candidate running for any job in Georgia.

I really wish only the truth could be repeated in the press. With this race for governor, who has openly lied and cheated the most?

Is it that corrupt? Isn't that what movies are made about?

I just heard about a condo building trying to hire a new manager. It came down to which unqualified, dishonest person they would give the job to. All five of the finalists had major issues and they were the finalists.

Three whole teachers voting for "Shady" Deal?

Here's a little something for Mr. Deal. He'll need this regardless of the outcome of the election!

The way I see it... vote for Deal, then in a few months he WILL go to jail and we will get a chance at an alternative candidate!!!! :pardon: ... Maybe a better one? ... Maybe worse ... I think even the devil we don't know would be better than these two idiots!!!! :drinks: :diablo:

I don't know of anyone who wants to support teachers who don't do their jobs. In ANY job, if someone doesn't do their part, it makes it harder on everyone. The problem with teachers' positions/tenure/pay being based on student achievement is that a teacher is only one factor in student achievement. There are many factors and its not fair to hold the teacher responsible.

-teachers don't have control over the home life of the student

-teachers can't make students come to school

-teachers can't make a student pay attention and learn if they refuse

-teachers can't force a student to do the work at school or home when they have zero motivation

-teachers have limits to what we can do to control behavior in a classroom and can not remove a student who is being disruptive. Many times, there's more than one student who has behavior issues to the point that it makes it hard for others to learn.

(most of you would be shocked at the number of kids who have severe problems at home, have no support at home, and teachers get no response from the parents or are told to deal with it at school because they can't do anything with them at home either)

Now moving on to the actual job of teaching:

-teachers don't control what they teach (it doesn't matter if we have issues with the curriculum or feel that it is impossible to teach that amount of material in a small time frame)

-teachers don't control the amount of responsibilities placed on them. If you think we plan a lesson, teach it, and grade papers and that's it, HAH!! If we could actually do those things, it would be wonderful.

-teachers aren't given equal access to materials needed to teach

What about the measures used to assess teacher's performance?

- do you use one standardized test?

What about student's with learning disabilities?

What if the test is SEVERELY flawed?

What if many students in your class have had problems passing for years, are you still held responsible, even many have shown progress, but still aren't passing?

What if you teach gifted or advanced classes? Your test scores are great

What if you teach remediation or special ed? Your test scores will not be good.

What if you teach social studies (which has no leveling such as gifted or remediation) but because you are not on a team with a gifted teacher or advanced teacher, you have almost no gifted or advanced students, and have more than your share of students who are struggling. Guess what? Your test scores will be much lower than the Social Studies teacher who is on the team with the gifted language arts teacher, and the advanced math teacher. Which teacher did a better job? Hmmm its not an apples to apples comparison, so how do you judge a teacher on this?

• Like 1

As far as voting, I'm voting NONE OF THE ABOVE

I'm voting for the third guy, not because I want him to be elected or think he WILL get elected, but in hopes that we will have the option of a third party in GA.

ALL of the choices for governor, lieutenant governor, and many other positions turn my stomach.

I don't know of anyone who wants to support teachers who don't do their jobs. In ANY job, if someone doesn't do their part, it makes it harder on everyone. The problem with teachers' positions/tenure/pay being based on student achievement is that a teacher is only one factor in student achievement. There are many factors and its not fair to hold the teacher responsible.

-teachers don't have control over the home life of the student

-teachers can't make students come to school

-teachers can't make a student pay attention and learn if they refuse

-teachers can't force a student to do the work at school or home when they have zero motivation

-teachers have limits to what we can do to control behavior in a classroom and can not remove a student who is being disruptive. Many times, there's more than one student who has behavior issues to the point that it makes it hard for others to learn.

(most of you would be shocked at the number of kids who have severe problems at home, have no support at home, and teachers get no response from the parents or are told to deal with it at school because they can't do anything with them at home either)

Now moving on to the actual job of teaching:

-teachers don't control what they teach (it doesn't matter if we have issues with the curriculum or feel that it is impossible to teach that amount of material in a small time frame)

-teachers don't control the amount of responsibilities placed on them. If you think we plan a lesson, teach it, and grade papers and that's it, HAH!! If we could actually do those things, it would be wonderful.

-teachers aren't given equal access to materials needed to teach

What about the measures used to assess teacher's performance?

- do you use one standardized test?

What about student's with learning disabilities?

What if the test is SEVERELY flawed?

What if many students in your class have had problems passing for years, are you still held responsible, even many have shown progress, but still aren't passing?

What if you teach gifted or advanced classes? Your test scores are great

What if you teach remediation or special ed? Your test scores will not be good.

What if you teach social studies (which has no leveling such as gifted or remediation) but because you are not on a team with a gifted teacher or advanced teacher, you have almost no gifted or advanced students, and have more than your share of students who are struggling. Guess what? Your test scores will be much lower than the Social Studies teacher who is on the team with the gifted language arts teacher, and the advanced math teacher. Which teacher did a better job? Hmmm its not an apples to apples comparison, so how do you judge a teacher on this?

I totally see your point, I think teaching is one of the hardest jobs on earth. However, there ARE teachers and schools that take what they have and turn a school around. Even in low income high crime areas. Like the ones in Chicago. I am not a fan of tenure, but I also am not a fan of basing a teacher's job or pay ONLY on student performance. I have seen and known some teachers who should not have a job anymore. They are/were burnt out and just putting in time until they retired. I have also known teachers who lost their jobs (recently) who were amazing teachers. I think it just goes to show out system doesn't work. But the idea that teachers are against Barnes for the tenure issues of his last term seem a moot point at this time. More teachers lost jobs under Perdue than they ever did with Barnes. My biggest question is WHY are our choices Barnes and Deal? is this the best we have to offer?

Edited by Squiggle

I totally see your point, I think teaching is one of the hardest jobs on earth. However, there ARE teachers and schools that take what they have and turn a school around. Even in low income high crime areas. Like the ones in Chicago. I am not a fan of tenure, but I also am not a fan of basing a teacher's job or pay ONLY on student performance. I have seen and known some teachers who should not have a job anymore. They are/were burnt out and just putting in time until they retired. I have also known teachers who lost their jobs (recently) who were amazing teachers. I think it just goes to show out system doesn't work. But the idea that teachers are against Barnes for the tenure issues of his last term seem a moot point at this time. More teachers lost jobs under Perdue than they ever did with Barnes. My biggest question is WHY are our choices Barnes and Deal? is this the best we have to offer?

Good people do not want to go through the scrutiny running for office. Paulding County, the state of Georgia and nationally, we hear about poor candidates who are questionable for the office they are running for.

As for as the Governor's race, Barnes has been proven a liar in past history and Deal has not. It's hard to believe the press on the candidates. If Deal gets elected and is proven to be a liar, he may not be elected Governor again but may have to run for President.

Tenure has NOTHING to do with why teachers are NOT voting for Barnes. He promised a 9% pay raise, I believe we received about 4%, but then he turned around and ran adds about how horrible Georgia teacher were and that we were a disgrace. He stabbed teachers in the back after teachers were the ones who supported him. Well I hope teachers have not forgotten. I my opinion we don't have a choice for governor they are both crooks.

Tenure has NOTHING to do with why teachers are NOT voting for Barnes. He promised a 9% pay raise, I believe we received about 4%, but then he turned around and ran adds about how horrible Georgia teacher were and that we were a disgrace. He stabbed teachers in the back after teachers were the ones who supported him. Well I hope teachers have not forgotten. I my opinion we don't have a choice for governor they are both crooks.

Pay raise? Some people don't even have jobs.

They are both lawyers but only one of them is a crook. Karen Handel was my first choice, but Nathan Deal is a bad choice.