Paulding.com

Speed Bumps?

Does anyone know of any subdivisions in Paulding county that has speed bumps?

Our HOA has been told by the Paulding County Board of Commisioner that we can not get speed bumps on our neighborhood because there are no subdivision that have speed bumps??? We have requested the flashing speed signs which we got, that did NOTHING to slow down these speeding drivers.

We have a lot of childrens in our neighborhood, and have even offered to pay to have speed bumps at certain locations. Because we have to get permission in order to do this on a state road; our hands are tied. If anyone have ANY suggestions PLEASE let me know.

I don't want some child to get hurt before we can get something done!

Thanks!

Edited by Nana22

So not true we have TWO of them in our subdivision

That is what we are trying to find out! What subdivision do you live in? We would love to come out and take pictures of the speed bumps?

THANK YOU!

It's Southern Trace and White something out in Rockmart

Not to sound dumb but, Is that still in Paulding County?-Can you please give me the name of a main road so I can GPS it-Camera in hand will be there tommorow!

THANKS

You have to have 100% agreement by property owners to get them installed.

Not very likely as some believe they take away from the desirability of the neighborhood...

We have the same issue with speeders in our neighborhood...some of the biggest offenders are sub-contractors and Garbage trucks.

If you have a 'blind' side street talk with DOT about a stop sign...this might help.

Not to sound dumb but, Is that still in Paulding County?-Can you please give me the name of a main road so I can GPS it-Camera in hand will be there tommorow!

THANKS

Yes it is my road is Southern Trace Crossing the road that has the speed bumps is at the end of southern trace crossing can't think of the name

You have to have 100% agreement by property owners to get them installed.

Not very likely as some believe they take away from the desirability of the neighborhood...

We have the same issue with speeders in our neighborhood...some of the biggest offenders are sub-contractors and Garbage trucks.

If you have a 'blind' side street talk with DOT about a stop sign...this might help.

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately our situation is straight stretches but with hills!!! When a child gets hit then I guess they'll do something about it?

Yes it is my road is Southern Trace Crossing the road that has the speed bumps is at the end of southern trace crossing can't think of the name

Thanks, If you see someone out taking pictures of speed bumps, it's not some crazy lady, just me!

Thanks!

I recently called ... and called ... and called... Not even sure who I ended up speaking to by the end. I was told that if we had HOA they would be responsible for the costs but the city/county would install them. Because we do not have HOA we should start a petition, get as many neighbors as possibel to sign it and take it to the monthly city/county meeting and present it to the comissioners.

Again, it has been a couple months and I am not sure whether (after all the calls and transfers) I was speaking to someone from the city or the county - I live in the city limits so that is where I started.

I hope that helps..

I recently called ... and called ... and called... Not even sure who I ended up speaking to by the end. I was told that if we had HOA they would be responsible for the costs but the city/county would install them. Because we do not have HOA we should start a petition, get as many neighbors as possibel to sign it and take it to the monthly city/county meeting and present it to the comissioners.

Again, it has been a couple months and I am not sure whether (after all the calls and transfers) I was speaking to someone from the city or the county - I live in the city limits so that is where I started.

I hope that helps..

Thanks, The petition is already started, (we want as many home owners to vot) Our HOA is not mandatory so we were told that we would have to have 2/3 of home owners to sign? Once we were told that that Paulding doesn't have speed bums in subdivision, we are going back agin loaded for bear and with pictures in hand. We don't mind paying for them, but to be told that NO subdivision in Paulding has them seemed a little strange, but with no prove we were shut down. PLEASE if anyone knows of where any are PLEASE let me know. We will be perpared for the next meeting!

Thanks!

We have a new type of speed control device in our neighborhood. It's a real innovative device that will slow and/or disable any vehicle that crosses its path.

It's the stealth model. It can not been seen by 99% of vehicle operators until they are upon it and have no time to avoid it. That percentage rises to 100% after a decent rain when it is filled with water. :ninja:

hole.jpg

And yes, I've completed the appropriate form through the DOT website to request repairs. TIC-TOC-TIC-TOC.....

If all else fails, I have a couple of bags of Quikrete on standby. <_<

We have trouble with speeders in our neighborhood, also. We talked about it at a neighborhood meeting and there is a huge cost not just for the speed bumps, but all that live in the subdivision when it comes to car repairs and car life. Driving over those bumps is very hard on a car. There are other things to look into that might be better. One neighbor used an orange construction barrel for awhile and the police were called out and said there was nothing they could do. Think outside the box before you make something permenant that will cost you more in the long run than you think.

Does anyone know of any subdivisions in Paulding county that has speed bumps?

Our HOA has been told by the Paulding County Board of Commisioner that we can not get speed bumps on our neighborhood because there are no subdivision that have speed bumps??? We have requested the flashing speed signs which we got, that did NOTHING to slow down these speeding drivers.

We have a lot of childrens in our neighborhood, and have even offered to pay to have speed bumps at certain locations. Because we have to get permission in order to do this on a state road; our hands are tied. If anyone have ANY suggestions PLEASE let me know.

I don't want some child to get hurt before we can get something done!

Thanks!

http://www.paulding.gov/DocumentView.aspx?DID=144

I found this on the Paulding DOT website under Traffic Operations. It gives you all the information for speed bumps in a neighbourhood.

If I were looking for a new home, I think speed bumps would be a major attraction for me. The excuse of them being unsightly or whatever doesn't fly. Decatur has them, high end subdivisions in Peachtree City have them, exclusive/expensive areas in Cobb and Gwinnett have them. As for cost...you can buy speed 'strips' for pretty cheap. they are only 1 inch tall and are effective on anyone going over them at a fast speed. If I remember, a 6 foot strip is about $150. So 2 strips to cover the width of the rd would run about $300.

The other problem is posted speed limits. Our last house was on a city street where the posted limit was 15mph. 25 is the norm around here which seems way too fast expecially for the subdivisions that have blind curves and big hills.

When we moved in I looked at getting them in our subdivision. As I recall you had to jump through the following hoops in order to get them.

1. Get a list of 80% of the homeowners who also wanted the S.H. (speed humps)

2. After that you will be given the county's permission to have a certified traffic engineering firm to come out and do a survey that the HOA has to pay for.

3. After the survey and reccomendations are completed it will given to the county for approval.

4. Then the County will then grant you the privelidge of paying for the installation of the S.H. in your subdivision.

5. After that, the county will maintain them.

Have fun. :rolleyes:

If I were looking for a new home, I think speed bumps would be a major attraction for me. The excuse of them being unsightly or whatever doesn't fly. Decatur has them, high end subdivisions in Peachtree City have them, exclusive/expensive areas in Cobb and Gwinnett have them. As for cost...you can buy speed 'strips' for pretty cheap. they are only 1 inch tall and are effective on anyone going over them at a fast speed. If I remember, a 6 foot strip is about $150. So 2 strips to cover the width of the rd would run about $300.

The other problem is posted speed limits. Our last house was on a city street where the posted limit was 15mph. 25 is the norm around here which seems way too fast expecially for the subdivisions that have blind curves and big hills.

I will say this, Brookstone has Speed Humps not Bumps. They are fine for regular cars. Studies have been done on the affects upon emergency response times. They conclusion was that EACH HUMP will slow down the response time by 30 seconds. That includes deceleration, transition and accelerating again. I will personally attest to this conclusion. As the apparatus driver I know how fast I can go over them and the required approach and departure speeds. Many of our calls were on the back side of Brookstone off County Line Rd. I have to cross 6 S.H. in order to get there. That is an extra 2 minutes. The delays were so significant that we have rerouted our responses up Mars Hill Rd. then back down County line. It is much farther but still faster. So all the yahoos speeding through Brookstone have provoked them and the county to install the S.H. which now slow our response to the totally unrelated areas behind Brookstone. Way to go guys. :good: where is that sarcastic Emote Pubby?

We have trouble with speeders in our neighborhood, also. We talked about it at a neighborhood meeting and there is a huge cost not just for the speed bumps, but all that live in the subdivision when it comes to car repairs and car life. Driving over those bumps is very hard on a car. There are other things to look into that might be better. One neighbor used an orange construction barrel for awhile and the police were called out and said there was nothing they could do. Think outside the box before you make something permenant that will cost you more in the long run than you think.

It's only hard on a vehicle if they're speeding.... :rofl:

...If you have a 'blind' side street talk with DOT about a stop sign...this might help.

We have a blind side street and they put in a 3 way stop sign. Too bad no one will stop at it.

And you can't get Paulding's finest to come out and ticket drivers running it either. I've talked with Hiram PD - "Not our jurisdiction!"

I guess we'll have to wait until someone is killed at the intersection before anything is done about it - if then.

This is on Swan Drive in Carrington Pointe off Nebo.

We have a blind side street and they put in a 3 way stop sign. Too bad no one will stop at it.

And you can't get Paulding's finest to come out and ticket drivers running it either. I've talked with Hiram PD - "Not our jurisdiction!"

I guess we'll have to wait until someone is killed at the intersection before anything is done about it - if then.

This is on Swan Drive in Carrington Pointe off Nebo.

We have a 3-way stop for a non-blind intersection...totally hacks me off every time I have to stop there. Oh, and somebody did get Paulding's finest to come out and ticket folks who don't stop at ours. I didn't get a ticket 'cause I stop (and gripe), but dang. Can we petition for the removal of a stop sign? grrr

Oh, and another thing - we have another intersection that IS blind one way, and there's no 3-way stop there...that intersection gets WAY WAY more traffic than the stupid 3-way stop intersection does. HELLO.

Edited by mei lan

I live off County Line and go through Brookstone several times a week trying to avoid the road construction elsewhere. The speed humps irritate me so much that there is no way I'd ever vote for one friggin speed hump in my subdivision. And they can't work too much because I have seen CCPD pull over many a cars in there.

Mr. Dis, that's interesting to read. I just moved over here recently and wondered where our nearest FD is located. I suppose it's the one on Mars Hill by Kroger.

Edited by justgettingby

Once the traffic study is complete the county will design and propose speed abatement for the streets in question. Your area would then be responsible for the costs. You will be amazed at the costs....

I would also suggest calling the SO and request a zone patrol for speeding. I my area an officer will occasionally come out and write a few tickets for 35+ in a 25MPH zone during school bus loading times.