Paulding.com

Ray Cochran arrested for child molestation

Paulding County Jail records show that Arthur Ray Cochran, 62, of 318 Friendship Church Road in Douglasville, Paulding County, was arrested on August 24th on charges of child molestation.

Cochran is the husband of Ms. Beverly Cochran who just two weeks ago lost her bid to serve as a post commissioner in a runoff election with local real estate broker Todd Pownall.

Cochran is being held on $5,700 bond on one count of child molestation.

Rumors that charges would result from a GBI investigation that included interviews with family members in Mississippi were rampant in the week before the July 20 primary election. Despite those rumors Ms. Cochran lead the field of three candidates but failed to obtain a majority of the vote, falling about 200 votes short of a majority. She trailed Pownall by 97 votes in the runoff losing 1145 to 1048.

As of noon today, Mr. Cochran was listed as an active inmate at the Paulding County Jail.

cochranarrest1.jpg

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok I just want to say I told everyone so,na na na na na ok I feel better now.

Yes that was me I told everyone,nobody wanted to believe me. Now just kiss my lilly white butt Can everyone hear me now!

Wonder how the election on July 20 would have turned out if this happened earlier and it was Gregory and Pownall. That would have been fun.   We can thank the local garden club (GOP Party) for that.

WOW, just wow.

Is it possible this is what a poster was alluding to about something going to be revealed that would hurt the election?

I am pretty sure this what Animal was talking about. Wow. Just wow.

If this is true, I would be yelling cover up.

How can something like this be kept quite? Someone has friends in high places. :ninja:

Couldn't be a cover up. At least 2 people on here weeks ago supposedly knew about it yet they refused to spill the beans.

Point taken but who made sure it was kept hushed?

It was not at all hushed, many knew of it.

Pubby is in here I am sure typing the reason we did not want any members to publish it.

Be patient you know Pubby's answers are lengthy.

If this is true, I would be yelling cover up.

How can something like this be kept quite? Someone has friends in high places. :ninja:

There may be some truth to the 'coverup' but whether or not there was one is a moot point today.

The information that I had was strictly second and third hand - i.e. rumors - and all my efforts to get someone "in the know" to go on the record was for naught. Without at least one direct source, I would be risking everything I own on a he-said she said equation and that is neither wise or ethical journalism. What I did do is confirm there was a GBI investigation on-going ... and I allowed the hint of rumors to be published (as I pleaded with those who knew them for someone in the family to speak.)

Do know that the charges themselves were not against Mrs. Cochran, but her husband and he is a private individual. Had I published that he was being investigated for child molestation without any direct confirmation of the charges from anyone who 'really knew' - even off the record - I would be risking a serious libel action. (of course I would have preferred to talk to the on the record.)

I will state at this point that I first learned of the rumors when an anonymous 'note' appeared on my car July 6th that suggested the motivation being Ms. Cochran running was for her to be able to 'protect' her husband from prosecution.

The only thing I was able to officially confirm was there was a GBI investigation of something underway at the request of the PCSO and the investigators would not reveal the nature of it ... as it was simply an investigation. (Yes, I talked with John Bankhead at the GBI.)

If you parse the material at the time, that alone made me wonder about this story. Wonder how? Well, I wondered if this was a set up to have me announce that a private person - the husband of a candidate - was being investigated for this heinous crime ... with the resulting libel suit and loss of pcom in defending that possibly 'false' allegation my reward?

No one directly knowledgeable would speak to me and everyone with third-hand info was wanting me to go out on the limb ... all alone. (Third hand info folks ... is rumor and you don't write rumor.)

We also need to remember that as of August 11, Ms. Cochran can argue that she is a private citizen and immune to invasions of her privacy by such as questions like what did she know and when did she know it? in a public forum.

So at this point all that is secondary and history.

We know simply that an investigation was started sometime around July 1st and that as a result of that investigation, Mr. Cochran has been arrested on one count of child molestation and was in jail pending the posting of a $5,700 bond as of noon today. (He may have bonded out since.)

I can float this hypothetical - that had Ms. Cochran been elected, the issue of a cover up would be fair game as she would definitely be a public figure ... but since she is now a private citizen, that question is moot. Further, hypothetically, were she elected and it was determined - again it is a moot point now - that she did have prior knowledge and actively sought to have this crime covered up, she might could have been stripped of her office for obstruction of justice. (You wonder why I was alluding to Dick Nixon and his resignation in the news??? hint, hint, hint.)

pubby

First let me say that I do not know Mr. Cochran, The Cochran Family, and I did not vote for Beverly Cochran for several reasons however, please remember that this man is innocent until proven guilty. As the family member of a person that was falsely accused of sexual assault, we found it to be the other way around. People assume guilt when sexual assault or molestation is involved. Praise God my family member was cleared of all charges and the accuser was found guilty of lying about the entire incident. While Mr. Cochran may be guilty, this has to be proven in a court of law. Just reminding everyone......

• Like 5

I don't think for one second she would try to cover up for him if she had been elected. I don't think she could have. I do know that unless the laws have changed a wife cannot be forced to testify against her husband so she would still be considered a private citizen no matter what her political office might have been. From what I know of Beverly she WOULD NEVER think of covering something like that up if she knew it to be true. I feel very sorry for her!sad.gif

First let me say that I do not know Mr. Cochran, The Cochran Family, and I did not vote for Beverly Cochran for several reasons however, please remember that this man is innocent until proven guilty. As the family member of a person that was falsely accused of sexual assault, we found it to be the other way around. People assume guilt when sexual assault or molestation is involved. Praise God my family member was cleared of all charges and the accuser was found guilty of lying about the entire incident. While Mr. Cochran may be guilty, this has to be proven in a court of law. Just reminding everyone......

ditto... and that understanding was crucial in our decision to hold the story during the election.

pubby

I heard about this around the same time as Pubby.

There was a lot of rumor about cover up and as Pubby said some thought she sought office for some power.

I want to go on the record and Pubby can back me up.

My heart went out to Ms. Cochran on this.

Cover up, who wouldn't?

Whether or not Mr. Cochran is found guilty my heart goes out to Beverly, I can not even begin to comprehend what she has been through in the last few months.

You make a lot of enemies in the game of politics, because everyone is out to win.

On a personal level for Beverly this has to be one of the most painful things that she and her family can face.

We are not to judge his innocence or guilt that is up to a court of law.

I personally will not condemn her for trying to keep it quiet, it is hard enough being a regular citizen and dealing with this, but being in the public eye when something like this goes down....

I just can not imagine the emotional turmoil this women has stood up under these last few months.

My heart goes out to her and her family for the suffering they are all going through.

Please allow the courts to decide if Mr. Cochran is guilty.

And remember Ms. Cochran has not been charged with any crimes and is not responsible for the actions of others.

• Like 4

I agree and all this "float this hypothetical" crap is just tring to tar her with the same brush. :angry:

• Like 2

I heard about this around the same time as Pubby.

There was a lot of rumor about cover up and as Pubby said some thought she sought office for some power.

I want to go on the record and Pubby can back me up.

My heart went out to Ms. Cochran on this.

Cover up, who wouldn't?

Whether or not Mr. Cochran is found guilty my heart goes out to Beverly, I can not even begin to comprehend what she has been through in the last few months.

You make a lot of enemies in the game of politics, because everyone is out to win.

On a personal level for Beverly this has to be one of the most painful things that she and her family can face.

We are not to judge his innocence or guilt that is up to a court of law.

I personally will not condemn her for trying to keep it quiet, it is hard enough being a regular citizen and dealing with this, but being in the public eye when something like this goes down....

I just can not imagine the emotional turmoil this women has stood up under these last few months.

My heart goes out to her and her family for the suffering they are all going through.

Please allow the courts to decide if Mr. Cochran is guilty.

And remember Ms. Cochran has not been charged with any crimes and is not responsible for the actions of others.

You are a smart compassionate lady.

WOW, just wow.

Is it possible this is what a poster was alluding to about something going to be revealed that would hurt the election?

Yes that was me I told everyone,nobody wanted to believe me. Now just kiss my lilly white buttninja.gif Can everyone hear me now!blink.gif

• Like 1

Wow...this is so very sad..And I say that for all the families involved. I don't know the Cochran's but I do have a close friend for over 20 years that was falsely accused. I am not saying that this is the case here, but I do know that whatever becomes of this, there is pain involved for all that is unimagineable. This is not a time to gloat and say I told you so...this is a time to let the investigation take it's course and to reserve judement until the facts are presented.

• Like 1

I am pretty sure this what Animal was talking about. Wow. Just wow.

You got that right,I told everyone and nobody believed me. They thought this was just me spinning,I tried warning people and people didn't want to believe it. Now the golden question is,her campagn staff had to know this & she had to know this. So people let's see how much more comes from this okwacko.gif Now look at this in several wayswacko.gif

• Like 1

Yes that was me I told everyone,nobody wanted to believe me. Now just kiss my lilly white buttninja.gif Can everyone hear me now!blink.gif

Alright Animal, back to the cave until October.

No gloating is necessary or proper here, at this time.

Let it go.

Ok I just want to say I told everyone so,na na na na na ok I feel better now.drinks.gif

OK you made me chuckle with that one, now behave before you end up in the dog house or even worse according to some, the Paulding county animal shelter :rofl:

You got that right,I told everyone and nobody believed me. They thought this was just me spinning,I tried warning people and people didn't want to believe it. Now the golden question is,her campagn staff had to know this & she had to know this. So people let's see how much more comes from this okwacko.gif Now look at this in several wayswacko.gif

Well, I didn't know what it was about; I wasn't told the "rumor". I just remember you talking about something. Just never knew what.

It is terrible this family has to face this. Based on the information / rumors that has been floating around the community the past few weeks, some folks close to him were successful in keeping this quiet while at the same time others close to him were making statements to the investigators. I do not smell cover up by the investigators. I expect they were preparing a strong case before making an arrest. Either way this family has a terrible, major, heart breaking process ahead of them. I certainly hope evidence of a cover up or obstruction of an investigation does not develop.

Ok I just want to say I told everyone so,na na na na na ok I feel better now.drinks.gif

Glad to see you are still a horses ass. This family is in pain so keep your na, na.....to yourself.

I hope you are never in the same situation but if you are I really hope you know someone who would do this to you.

I don't give a rats furry behind about the politics, whats on my mind if the fact that this sounds like a very very painful place for any family to be in.

• Like 3

Wonder how the election on July 20 would have turned out if this happened earlier and it was Gregory and Pownall. That would have been fun.

We can thank the local garden club (GOP Party) for that. For putting another ethics issue candidate or ethics problem associated candidate in there. Becoming a bad habit.

Have they picked a winning candiate yet in the last 6 years...............Let's see: Ralph Reed...nope, JK rogers.....nope, Beverly Cochran.....nope, Ronney sibley.....nope, Glenn Richardson.....nope, Jerry shearin.........nope, and so on and so on. Is it just me or has most of them had ethics issues too. Looks like they need to find other people to take thier advice from or attach to. Seems they have lost touch with real America.

Maybe one day the local GOP will learn to get the G family and thier crew out of the party and then maybe they will have a winning/viable candidate and they will not drag other people down with them. This tarnished reputation will follow them for some time till they are gone.

Just my thougts from an outsider that used to be involved years ago.

• Like 5

I don't think for one second she would try to cover up for him if she had been elected. I don't think she could have. I do know that unless the laws have changed a wife cannot be forced to testify against her husband ...

Just so everyone here knows. This is an excerpt from a judgment from the Georgia Court of Appeals...

"XXX argues that the trial court erred in ruling the State could compel XXX's wife to testify although she was not a witness to the specific act charged. OCGA § 24-9-23 (a) provides that a spouse is competent but not compellable to give testimony against her spouse, but subsection (b provides that the privilege does not apply if the spouse "is charged with a crime against the person of a minor child." The statute further [*13] provides that the witness spouse "shall be compellable to give evidence only on the specific act for which the defendant is charged." Id.

"XXX argues that his wife was never a witness to the "specific acts" for which he was charged, and thus should been advised of her marital privilege and should not have been compelled to testify. Pretermitting whether XXX or his wife waived the issue by failing to object properly, the statute does not provide that the spouse can be compelled to testify only if she observed the specific act charged. It provides that the spouse can be compelled to present evidence "on the specific act" charged. While our appellate courts have not addressed this issue directly, this court has said in dicta that photographs of a defendant's wife "in various states of undress" could be marital communications, which were relevant and admissible in a child molestation case to show bent of mind. Pike v. State, 299 Ga. App. 285, 286 (1) (682 SE2d 373) (2009). In this case, the wife testified that she did not know XXX had been %%%%% to the victim. This evidence is sufficiently relevant to the molestation acts charged against XXX so that the wife's testimony [*14] was compellable under OCGA § 24-9-23 (b."

Just so everyone here knows. This is an excerpt from a judgment from the Georgia Court of Appeals...

"XXX argues that the trial court erred in ruling the State could compel XXX's wife to testify although she was not a witness to the specific act charged. OCGA § 24-9-23 (a) provides that a spouse is competent but not compellable to give testimony against her spouse, but subsection (b provides that the privilege does not apply if the spouse "is charged with a crime against the person of a minor child." The statute further [*13] provides that the witness spouse "shall be compellable to give evidence only on the specific act for which the defendant is charged." Id.

"XXX argues that his wife was never a witness to the "specific acts" for which he was charged, and thus should been advised of her marital privilege and should not have been compelled to testify. Pretermitting whether XXX or his wife waived the issue by failing to object properly, the statute does not provide that the spouse can be compelled to testify only if she observed the specific act charged. It provides that the spouse can be compelled to present evidence "on the specific act" charged. While our appellate courts have not addressed this issue directly, this court has said in dicta that photographs of a defendant's wife "in various states of undress" could be marital communications, which were relevant and admissible in a child molestation case to show bent of mind. Pike v. State, 299 Ga. App. 285, 286 (1) (682 SE2d 373) (2009). In this case, the wife testified that she did not know XXX had been %%%%% to the victim. This evidence is sufficiently relevant to the molestation acts charged against XXX so that the wife's testimony [*14] was compellable under OCGA § 24-9-23 (b."

Could you give that to us in English, after all that is what us ordinary folks pay lawyers in this country billions every year for.

Wonder how the election on July 20 would have turned out if this happened earlier and it was Gregory and Pownall. That would have been fun.

We can thank the local garden club (GOP Party) for that. For putting another ethics issue candidate or ethics problem associated candidate in there. Becoming a bad habit.

Have they picked a winning candiate yet in the last 6 years...............Let's see: Ralph Reed...nope, JK rogers.....nope, Beverly Cochran.....nope, Ronney sibley.....nope, Glenn Richardson.....nope, Jerry shearin.........nope, and so on and so on. Is it just me or has most of them had ethics issues too. Looks like they need to find other people to take thier advice from or attach to. Seems they have lost touch with real America.

Maybe one day the local GOP will learn to get the G family and thier crew out of the party and then maybe they will have a winning/viable candidate and they will not drag other people down with them. This tarnished reputation will follow them for some time till they are gone.

Just my thougts from an outsider that used to be involved years ago.

David's pick would have won.

Still not sure why folks say the GOP's candidates.

The party does not endorse a candidate in the primary. Officers don't endorse candidates in a primary. Individuals DO help candidates in a primary however.

Really folks??? This is not about politics. Get over it - your guy won.

This is about a tough situation for a family to be in. Wouldn't want to wish it on your own family would you?

WHERE IS COMMON DECENCY AMONG THIS CROWD? (although most folks in this topic have been gracious and kind).

And ANIMAL- throw the first stone. You are a despicable excuse for a human. No wonder you're called Animal.

• Like 2

Could you give that to us in English, after all that is what us ordinary folks pay lawyers in this country billions every year for.

I think it means that in this type of case she can be compelled to if she has direct knowledge of it. I don't believe Beverly would ever cover up something like this. I do not think this development would have made any difference in the election. Todd would have won. She is not the one being charged. She is suffering as a result and so is the rest of this family. I will be praying for them all.

I think it means that in this type of case she can be compelled to if she has direct knowledge of it. I don't believe Beverly would ever cover up something like this. I do not think this development would have made any difference in the election. Todd would have won. She is not the one being charged. She is suffering as a result and so is the rest of this family. I will be praying for them all.

NJ, I was pretty sure about the meaning of that post.

With that said.

Children in this world have nothing that belongs truly to them but loving parents or a caring adult in their young lives.

I hope and pray that should a caring adult look deeply in their heart of hearts and think that a helpless child had been abused in any way, they would do the right thing.

A parent should never place a spouse above a child.

No matter how much they love them or the security they provide.

NJ, I was pretty sure about the meaning of that post.

With that said.

Children in this world have nothing that belongs truly to them but loving parents or a caring adult in their young lives.

I hope and pray that should a caring adult look deeply in their heart of hearts and think that a helpless child had been abused in any way, they would do the right thing.

A parent should never place a spouse above a child.

No matter how much they love them or the security they provide.

I agree with you 100%!

Glad to see you are still a horses ass. This family is in pain so keep your na, na.....to yourself.

I hope you are never in the same situation but if you are I really hope you know someone who would do this to you.

I don't give a rats furry behind about the politics, whats on my mind if the fact that this sounds like a very very painful place for any family to be in.

Sorry not sensitive to thugs,if he is convicted of this crime he will come to me. I have no love for this action sorry,family knew about this for awhile,should have turned him in sooner.mad.gif