Paulding.com

As some of you know I had recently went on a trip. I have not flown in a little over a year, so I had expected that some things would change. As I was checking in my bag via "curbside" the baggage guy (not sure what the actual name is) helped me with checking in. My bag had gotten loaded onto the belt and the baggage guy comes around on my side and points to the sign and says " As you can read gratuity is not included in the bag fee". He had said this several times to make his point across so that I should tip him for putting my bag on the belt and checking me in.

I always tip and never thought about not tipping until this point, it was almost like he was begging for the tip. Yes I know that $2 adds up but please don't be rude about. I never carry cash and I had made sure that I had enough money for the baggage guy. Just curious to see what your opinion is.

I flew Delta in case some of you were are wondering.

I've never had someone say that to me. Then again, they always know I'm going to tip because I walk up with cash in my hand. I just find the whole experience to flow much more smoothly when the attendant knows in advance that I'm ready to tip.

Another hint is to hold the cash in your hand if you find yourself standing in a long line. I've had attendants walk up to me and say, "Maam, if you'll let me take your bags I'll help you right over here." Works like a charm every time.

I've never had someone say that to me. Then again, they always know I'm going to tip because I walk up with cash in my hand. I just find the whole experience to flow much more smoothly when the attendant knows in advance that I'm ready to tip.

Another hint is to hold the cash in your hand if you find yourself standing in a long line. I've had attendants walk up to me and say, "Maam, if you'll let me take your bags I'll help you right over here." Works like a charm every time.

Babe Cake I had the cash in my hand that's what I don't understand, I was ready to tip because I had 3 bags including my checked bag. I don't know this is why I was so blown away.

I don't fly but, if a person makes regular wages, I "don't/won't tip and if they make $2.13 an hour like wait staff does, that's a different story. But, are you suppose to tip them, for just putting your bags ON the belt????? Heck NO!!!! I guess I'd better stay out of airports then, huh!!! :wacko: :unknw:

• Like 2

I don't fly but, if a person makes regular wages, I "don't/won't tip and if they make $2.13 an hour like wait staff does, that's a different story. But, are you suppose to tip them, for just putting your bags ON the belt????? Heck NO!!!! I guess I'd better stay out of airports then, huh!!! :wacko: :unknw:

Yes you are suppose to tip them its easier to check your bag at the curb instead of waiting in line inside instead of carrying and holding your luggage in the line inside.

Customer service is the pits at all the airlines now. That's just one of the results of all the cost cutting. In the old days, the wages were high and they had an attractive pool of applicants to choose from. Today, they are competing with McDonald's for employees and the end result is no loyalty and employees that could care less about any of us.

I would have walked away without giving him a dime because it sounds like he was DEMANDING not begging.

rofl.gif I was going to give you a (+1) but apparently I used my quota for the day on W4AL pardon.gif

Tipping is out of control.

I'm going to put a sign on my classroom door during conference week.

In todays world TIP = ENTITLEMENT. Go back into some of the past threads about tipping and look at some of the entitlement attitudes of some of these service workers. They truly believe a TIP is OWED to them , and if you cannot or will not tip them you should stay home.

• Like 1

I do, and always will tip for the convenience of curbside check-in. I imagine that the new fees have put a lot of people off though. Many people feel that if they've paid an extra $25-100 for a trip just for the bags, then they don't have to pay anything else.

Of course, supposedly the extra labor cost of having a person handle the bag is one of the excuses the airlines have for charging per bag fees. Like most large corporations these days, the $ are for their bottom line, not the employees.

I flew Delta in case some of you were are wondering.

I fly occassionally.

I now try to get on any airline but Delta.

4 or 5 years ago a Delta counter employee in Orlando tried to make me pay $9.00 for a box because my checked bag was 2 pounds over the weight limit. It took about 5 minutes to pack 2 or 3 pounds into my carry on. Everytime I took an item out she would say she could sell me a box for $9.00.

When I finally got to the weight target I told her "where I went to school, pounds in the bottom of the plane plus pounds in the top of the plane still equals total pounds".

It was the attitude that ticked me off plus the fact I had the same exact items in the checked bag that flew in to Orlando from Atlanta.

I felt like she had been trained to get as much as possible out of the little people who were stuck at the counter with no other option than to pay up.

I have flown 10 to 15 times thereafter, but not on Delta.

I am just one little customer. But I do vote with my money.

Tipping is out of control.

I'm going to put a sign on my classroom door during conference week.

I'd like to know the reaction of the admin from that one. :)

I have a feeling, at least one might find it humourous.

I've never encountered tipping the curbside baggage personnel and didn't even know I was expected to, to be honest. But then again I always place my own bags on the belt and there usually is not a line. No sense in giving a guy a buck or two for me carrying the bags from the shuttle bus to the belt and placing them myself. I do give the shuttle bus driver from the park and ride a buck or two as a tip. When it comes to the airline, I figure by the time I've made it to the airport I have been fee'd to death and they can go dig it out of the "we need more money for our bad service" fee on my ticket.

• Like 1

Most employees of airlines make a lot more than minimum wage. If I carry my luggage to the check-in outside how is that any different from me carrying it to the check-in inside? Why should they make extra money outside and not inside? It doesn't make any sense to me!

Edited by Pensacola