Paulding.com

Quick Tip from Harbor Bay Landscaping for Metro Atlanta Homeowners

It may be sweltering hot outside right now, but fall is coming soon! This is the perfect time of year to install a backyard fire pit so that it will be ready for you to enjoy when the temperature starts dropping a little.

If you are thinking of making a fire pit yourself, here are some things to keep in mind:

- Choose a place in your yard that is clear of overhanging trees and branches.

- Dig a hole a minimum of three feet across and 10-14 inches deep, depending on whether you will be using wood or running gas to the fire pit.

- Dig a trench six inches below the bottom of the hole and install a four inch corrugated pipe. Dig the trench away from the hole to drain water out of the bottom of the fire pit.

- Make sure the bottom of your hole is perfectly level around the edges, or you may end up with a crooked fire pit.

- Lay out the landscaping blocks, bricks or stones along the bottom of the hole. Landscaping blocks can be cut with a chisel and hammer or you may want to rent a cement saw.

- Fill the hole half full with lava rock. Most fire pits will need between 10-15 bags (40lbs each) of rock.

- Check the local codes to make sure your fire pit is up to standards if you are installing a gas line or using LP.

Too busy or don’t want to tackle the project on your own? We’d be happy to install your fire pit for you! We also build paver patios for the ultimate outdoor living space. You’ll be roasting marshmallows and enjoying s’mores in no time!

• 1 month later...

I LOVE the patio and fire pit Metro Atlanta Landscape built for me! And this is the PERFECT time of year to sit around roasting marshmallows! Seriously! S'mores are awesome and not just for kids!

Anybody else out there like s'mores? Reply if you do!

I love s'mores and fire pits. I ain't digging no hole. Too much work. :lol:

I got me one of these about 5 years ago. It's still working just fine. 51F3A71HCFL._SL500_AA300_.jpg