Paulding.com

I just saw this article in the AJC - Glenn Richardson apparently threatened suicide again two weeks ago. The guy needs help.

http://www.ajc.com/news/georgia-politics-elections/cops-ex-speaker-richardson-593684.html?cxtype=ynews_rss

Former Georgia House Speaker Glenn Richardson held a gun to his head and threatened to kill himself less than two weeks ago, a Paulding County Sheriff's Office report states. Richardson's suicide threat followed a domestic dispute in Atlanta the night of Aug. 5, according to an incident report obtained by the AJC through an Open Records request.

After the domestic dispute, Richardson, 50, told an Atlanta police officer over the phone that "he was going to Hiram to end all of his problems and would kill himself," the report states. The domestic dispute took place in Atlanta, though the Paulding police report did not provide a specific address.

When a Paulding officer arrived at Richardson's home in Hiram, a person at the home told the officer he took the pistol away after Richardson pressed it to his head. The man, whose identity was not immediately clear, told the officer that Richardson was in the bathroom, threatening to harm himself. When the officer approached Richardson, he responded that he "was not going to hurt himself or anybody else."

Richardson was transported to the hospital for evaluation, according to the report.

Last December Richardson gave his farewell speech to the House, where he spent several years as speaker. On Nov. 8, Richardson was found slumped over in the bathroom of his Paulding County home with a bottle of pills and a gun nearby.

Richardson, in a statement to the media days later, said he has been suffering from depression for the past two-and-a-half years since separating and subsequently divorcing his wife.

Richardson resigned after his ex-wife told the media that he had a longtime affair with a lobbyist. The alleged affair was the subject of an ethics complaint filed by Democrats against Richardson in 2007. His resignation was effective Jan. 1.

Yes, I agree...it's more unusual for a man to threaten suicide, but those who do commit suicide often have talked about it (either sex). Wonder what the domestic dispute was about? The dude needs some serious counseling. I understand his life fell apart, but it was his own damn doing, and he needs to get help before he really does take his own life. He's far too young and has far too much to offer to think that this is the right answer. I pray somebody will be able to get through to him.

Edited to add that I speak as one who has experienced the utter depths of depression. UTTER depths. So I get where he's coming from.

Edited by mei lan

Regardless of how he got where he is, he certainly needs help. Did he screw up his life all by himself, probably..........but let's not kick him while he's down. He's someone's child, someone's father, someone's family member. He means something to them no matter what he's done.

I just think it's foolish to continue airing this man's dirty laundry on a public message board. He's gone, he's no threat to me or most on this board. Give him a break until he gets control of his life again. :(

Praying for him and his family.

• Like 1

Regardless of how he got where he is, he certainly needs help. Did he screw up his life all by himself, probably..........but let's not kick him while he's down. He's someone's child, someone's father, someone's family member. He means something to them no matter what he's done.

I just think it's foolish to continue airing this man's dirty laundry on a public message board. He's gone, he's no threat to me or most on this board. Give him a break until he gets control of his life again. :(

:clapping::clapping::clapping:

Very true. Its a personal matter now. I hope he is able to get the help he needs. Regardless of how or why this started, he is unstable. I'm sure it is no longer a choice for him, if it ever was....and nobody enjoys the state of mind he has right now.

Obviously I don't care much for Glenn when he is well. I do wish him and his family the best and I refuse to take shots at someone when they are down.

If I could send him a get well card it would say: Get well so I can give you hell.

• Like 7

I just think it's foolish to continue airing this man's dirty laundry on a public message board. He's gone, he's no threat to me or most on this board. Give him a break until he gets control of his life again.... :(

I don't disagree with you, but before it appeared here it ran in the newspaper and on TV. I just find it odd that someone found it newsworthy enough to publish it in the AJC and run it on WSB-TV. What purpose was served by *that*? :(

I don't disagree with you, but before it appeared here it ran in the newspaper and on TV. I just find it odd that someone found it newsworthy enough to publish it in the AJC and run it on WSB-TV. What purpose was served by *that*? :(

Former Speaker of the House maybe ? Who was tossed when it became blatantly obvious he had lied through his teeth about his non-relationship with the AGL lobbyist he proposed and passed a bill to build a gas line for them at our expense ?

Not to mention his $72,000 lobbyist fee paid by the Paulding BOC for being our eyes and ears at the gold dome while he was also our elected legislator ?

Why do you think his downfall and problems would be newsworthy ?

I have to agree that this is a sad situation for everyone involved, and poor target for jest.

Earlier this year I attended a meeting to hear a lobbyist discuss some environmental issues (yawn). It was so amazing to hear him discuss this situation in front of the group, naming names. "You don't impress me much"... as the song goes.

My dad comiited suicide and had attempted numerous times.

Let's pray for his kids and his parents. It is very hard. You are always waiting on the knock on the door telling you that this time it was not an attempt. It is so stressful. My mom loved my dad with her whole heart and when he died, it was almost a relieve to no longer dread coming home for fear of what she might find.

This effects the whole family and while Richardson may have dug his own hole, his family does not deserve the grief he is putting them through.

Let's pray for his kids and his parents. It is very hard. You are always waiting on the knock on the door telling you that this time it was not an attempt. It is so stressful. My mom loved my dad with her whole heart and when he died, it was almost a relieve to no longer dread coming home for fear of what she might find.

This effects the whole family and while Richardson may have dug his own hole, his family does not deserve the grief he is putting them through.

Thank you!! :clapping: :clapping:

I lost a sister many years ago the same way. It was almost a relief to know I didn't have to run and check on her all the time. I hope and pray he gets the right help.

clapping.gif clapping.gif clapping.gif clapping.gif

I have lost four cousins to suicide. Only one attempted it prior to being successful. I really hope that Glenn gets the help he needs. I can not imagine the despair it would take to make ending your life seem like a plausible solution to your problems. His family has our best wishes.

one word GREED

one word GREED

I don't know Glenn personally, I really don't care how he got where he is, I just know he needs all the help he can get. I just hope if you ever face this situation, you have the love and support you need - regardless of who you p*ssed off the in the process. ;)

I just think it's foolish to continue airing this man's dirty laundry on a public message board. He's gone, he's no threat to me or most on this board. Give him a break until he gets control of his life again. sad.gif

I agree. I hope he can get help and I wish him and his family well. Suicide is such a selfish act fueled by depression and a sense of hopelessness and loss of control . Politics aside, he is a human being who needs help before he does the unthinkable. Hopefully he has someone in his life that can reach him.