Paulding.com

Paulding County BOC passes millage rate increase

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They are setting up another good ole boy system. David's boys will all be voting together, just watch.

Yep - and voted on it so late in the day as to probably not impact too many folk's decisions in the runoff today.

I don't have a Masters in Public Admin, however, how can you raise taxes when people are hurting financially. I don't agree at all with increase, I guess they were not happy with the foreclosure rate

It does make you wonder if people are thinking about leaving the county.

I'm looking into exit options as well. My family has been here since the original land lottery when the county was established. I'd have to look to count back, but I'm at least the 6th generation in the county, and probably the last. Sad :(

Whitey,

He enjoys kicking dead horses. What else can you say.

The local GOP is devouring itself, burning itself out, and Melanese, Collins, Galloway, etc. are feeding the flame with gas.

I can only hope Howard Maxwell will rise above this conflaguration and come into his own as our senior Representative, truly supporting Paulding county and our needs "instead of supporting the leadership".

The BOC tried, patiently, and politely [well except Kirby's outburst, but that was understandable as well] to explain to Melanese why they approved the millage increase 2 weeks ago. Made perfect sense to me. And he kept on kicking that dead horse over and over.

Tom,

That horse is dead and ain't gonna get up to let you try to ride it again. Move on.drinks.gif

I'm looking into exit options as well. My family has been here since the original land lottery when the county was established. I'd have to look to count back, but I'm at least the 6th generation in the county, and probably the last. Sad :(

My family dates back to the original settlers. I admit that I did think of leaving while Shearin, his mentor and all of his little merry men were running the county. But I am starting to enjoy living here again. ;)

Whitey,

He enjoys kicking dead horses. What else can you say.

The local GOP is devouring itself, burning itself out, and Melanese, Collins, Galloway, etc. are feeding the flame with gas.

I can only hope Howard Maxwell will rise above this conflaguration and come into his own as our senior Representative, truly supporting Paulding county and our needs "instead of supporting the leadership".

The BOC tried, patiently, and politely [well except Kirby's outburst, but that was understandable as well] to explain to Melanese why they approved the millage increase 2 weeks ago. Made perfect sense to me. And he kept on kicking that dead horse over and over.

Tom,

That horse is dead and ain't gonna get up to let you try to ride it again. Move on.drinks.gif

Was it a horse or a Jack Ass?

I love the logic.

They get 8 years of substantial "hidden" tax increases from Shearin and the Robber Barons, as they churned and churned and jacked up the property values, to increase their profits. Every year the check to the tax man was higher and higher whilst Shearin and company congratulated themselves on not raising taxes.

Now we have last year, where we have to step up to the plate and pay for the greenspace and Taj Mahal because Shearin chose to pay the previous 2 years out of "surplus", depleting those accounts before Austin took office.

Now we have to start servicing those bonds, rightly so, it is our obligation, and the tax digest crashes by more than 17.5%, and the Melanese/Galloway crowd wants to crucify the BOC for raising the millage rate to attempt to cover the debt and put some funds back into the savings account in case we have another "rainy day" like we did last September.

Now, the Shearin Posse is ready to pack up and leave ?

Don't let the door hit you where the Lord split you on your way out ! drinks.gif

I mean its not like we don't have a few abandoned houses here and there, thank you King Jerry and your merrymen!

Surepip - Where did you read that logic has anything to do with their arguments?

What I want to know is why if the GOP "leadership" thinks the county should be able to run off of the 2005 budget or so, where were they in 2005-2008 when Jerry was running up our taxes? Why were they not all over Jerry when he stole the 2 mil fire budget when he transferred the cost to the fire tax, but didn't reduce the tax rate in the general funds. Jerry should have dropped the general fund tax rate by that 2 mils but didn't, he just had a spending spree by the other departments with the money, running up the budgets all over the place and what did you hear? Not a peep out of the GOP "faithful" while that was going on.

Now they are coming out of the woodwork when all David is trying to do is fix all the debt that Jerry left us with.

Amazing how hypocritical they can be.

I was reading where Tea Party Republicans are doing quite well in the primaries. The GOP leadership has lost the pulse of the party. These Republican "Leaders" are a great example why.

Surepip - Where did you read that logic has anything to do with their arguments?

What I want to know is why if the GOP "leadership" thinks the county should be able to run off of the 2005 budget or so, where were they in 2005-2008 when Jerry was running up our taxes? Why were they not all over Jerry when he stole the 2 mil fire budget when he transferred the cost to the fire tax, but didn't reduce the tax rate in the general funds. Jerry should have dropped the general fund tax rate by that 2 mils but didn't, he just had a spending spree by the other departments with the money, running up the budgets all over the place and what did you hear? Not a peep out of the GOP "faithful" while that was going on.

Now they are coming out of the woodwork when all David is trying to do is fix all the debt that Jerry left us with.

I was reading where Tea Party Republicans are doing quite well in the primaries. The GOP leadership has lost the pulse of the party. These Republican "Leaders" are a great example why.

SG,

Those behind the scenes were reaping the profits from the absolutely ridiculous blind PRD zonings. Those leading the local GOP were doing what their RBMDs were telling them to do.

Now they are grasping at straws. They have finally been beaten at their own game, and no longer are in control.

And you will see the fight for the District 19th seat turn into a slugfest, because if and when they lose that on, they are out.

The voters saw through King Jerry's smokescreen summer of 2008. But come summer of 2009, David Austin had to pay the bills Jerry left him with, using a depleted savings account. And Jerry filled the credit card to the max as well.

Now David Austin, Tommie Graham, et al come along and tell us, "Hey, the tax digest crashed more than 17.5%. Next year may be the same or worse, and we don't have enough in the reserves to cover ourselves" and they raise the millage rate.

Again; Shearin spent what was there, and left the new guys with the charge card full of debt. Now they are trying to be fiscally responsible, and the Old Galloway/Shearin Clique sends Melanese in to kick the dead horse.

I suggest Tom Melanese go and kick Shearin, Galloway, Diehl and company instead. And don't forget old Ithy Chris Collins while you are at it.

SG,

Those behind the scenes were reaping the profits from the absolutely ridiculous blind PRD zonings. Those leading the local GOP were doing what their RBMDs were telling them to do.

Now they are grasping at straws. They have finally been beaten at their own game, and no longer are in control.

And you will see the fight for the District 19th seat turn into a slugfest, because if and when they lose that on, they are out.

The voters saw through King Jerry's smokescreen summer of 2008. But come summer of 2009, David Austin had to pay the bills Jerry left him with, using a depleted savings account. And Jerry filled the credit card to the max as well.

Now David Austin, Tommie Graham, et al come along and tell us, "Hey, the tax digest crashed more than 17.5%. Next year may be the same or worse, and we don't have enough in the reserves to cover ourselves" and they raise the millage rate.

Again; Shearin spent what was there, and left the new guys with the charge card full of debt. Now they are trying to be fiscally responsible, and the Old Galloway/Shearin Clique sends Melanese in to kick the dead horse.

I suggest Tom Melanese go and kick Shearin, Galloway, Diehl and company instead. And don't forget old Ithy Chris Collins while you are at it.

Actually none of the folks who have been named are officers. None of those who spoke at the meeting are officers. They are members though. Just wanted to correct the misconception about that. For the record I support the Commission's position on this issue.rolleyes.gif

Actually none of the folks who have been named are officers. None of those who spoke at the meeting are officers. They are members though. Just wanted to correct the misconception about that. For the record I support the Commission's position on this issue.rolleyes.gif

I did not say, or insinuate they were "current" officers. They are all part of the Clique set up and perpetuated by Shearin and company. Galloway, Kiehl, Hollinshed et al. And they have stepped back, put in new names, but it is fairly obvious to anyone with their eyes open who is calling the shots.

And their chosen BOC candidates lost.

But they kick the dead horse none the less in the hopes of still pulling out the District 19 seat.

Let's just hope and pray they are unsuccessful at that as well.

Time to show them ALL the door. Let Virginia do her Americans for Prosperity, and Jerry can head to the Keys and spend his mega bucks. And the rest of us in Paulding can try to clean up the mess, pay the bills, and crawl out of the hole they left us in.

It sounds like the Obama White House in here...... George Bush/King Jerry this, W/Jerry that. That was two years ago. Move on. The guys in office now have the responsibility. It's their game and they get the credit or blame now.

Facts are facts, the economy has tanked (nationwide- not just Paulding- apparently this is a large-scale problem. Or the Paulding robber barons have enormous reach). Property values have tanked and since we have a local tax system that is partially dependent on the value of property, part of the tax base has tanked too. If you want to maintain some decent level of service you have to fund it- ergo, you have to raise the millage rate in order to get even close to the same dollar figure that you got last year. I don't blame the board for having to do this. What I expect is for them to be as responsible and frugal as they can reasonably be.

And to blame King Jerry for all our problems. Heck, it has to be his fault they are raising the the millage rate- it just has to be somehow....... :rolleyes:

One thing I have been wondering:

What in the hell did they do to Animal to turn him from the Dark Side ?ninja.gif

I mean he was in there with them thick as thieves for years and years, and now he has seen the light, come out into the sun, and found a whole new meaning to life AND politics.

And if you knew the old Animal you would know what I am getting at. I mean this was the dude who strangled democrats with his bare hands just because they were there.

What happened ?

It sounds like the Obama White House in here...... George Bush/King Jerry this, W/Jerry that. That was two years ago. Move on. The guys in office now have the responsibility. It's their game and they get the credit or blame now.

Facts are facts, the economy has tanked (nationwide- not just Paulding- apparently this is a large-scale problem. Or the Paulding robber barons have enormous reach). Property values have tanked and since we have a local tax system that is partially dependent on the value of property, part of the tax base has tanked too. If you want to maintain some decent level of service you have to fund it- ergo, you have to raise the millage rate in order to get even close to the same dollar figure that you got last year. I don't blame the board for having to do this. What I expect is for them to be as responsible and frugal as they can reasonably be.

And to blame King Jerry for all our problems. Heck, it has to be his fault they are raising the the millage rate- it just has to be somehow....... :rolleyes:

Actually there were many that believed the housing bubble was not even close to bursting.

I think it was more wishful thinking than anything.

I agree with your facts are facts, but come on now, let's be honest.

The bond millage rate for the greenspace should have been raised in 2007, after it was passed. He paid out of reserves.

The bond for the millage rate should have been increased summer of 2008, but Hey, it was an election year. So he paid for it out of reserves.

Then he hands the empty checkbook to David 6 months later.

Do your math and come back with another reason not to blame King Jerry for Austin and company having no choice but to raise the millage.