Paulding.com

Paulding County BOC passes millage rate increase

The political campaigns for the commissioner’s spots are over and done with, two new commissioners will be sworn in at the first commissioners meeting in January 2011 to replace Don Powell and Wayne Kirby the two incumbents who chose to not run for re election.

Our County is going through some very tough times right now both from a loss of jobs and a loss of tax revenues and it is imperative that we as citizens set aside our political bickering and work with the commissioners to move our county forward.

Last night Tony Crowe came over to David Barnett’s campaign headquarters and made a speech to those that had gathered there, And, pledged to work with and support David Barnett the Board of Commission and this County in moving it forward over the next few years, For that I can truly say that I gained more respect for Tony Crowe, Than anyone could imagine and he should be commended for those actions, This is truly a heartfelt expression of how Tony feels about this County.

In the closing days of this campaign there were rumors flying and all sorts of claims, robo calls etc.That went out in the closing days of the campaign, but the facts speak for themselves.

1 The revised budget was not released after the July 20th primary. The budget was posted on line on July 9th and was available to all of those at the very next commissioners in printed form for all to see and obtain a copy of that is where I got my copy. And that was well before the SPLOST vote

2 The millage rate was set at the first County Commission meeting in August, and, the public hearing was held in compliance with state laws, exactly in the same manner as in had been done in the past for as long as I can remember. It has to be done on this date in order for the Tax Commissioner to prepare the Tax Bills and mail them out and begin to collect the taxes.

3 When you get the tax bill’s you will then know who was being truthful on this issue.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They are setting up another good ole boy system. David's boys will all be voting together, just watch.

Yep - and voted on it so late in the day as to probably not impact too many folk's decisions in the runoff today.

I don't have a Masters in Public Admin, however, how can you raise taxes when people are hurting financially. I don't agree at all with increase, I guess they were not happy with the foreclosure rate

But that isn't the same as the politicians in charge giving you a tax decrease!! The politicians here voted to RAISE YOUR TAXES!!! Saying that you got a tax decrease just because your property value went down is like saying that those who are on unumployment got a tax decrease in their income taxes even after Congress allows the existing tax breaks to expire, which is in fact a tax increase!

Look at it this way. You are going to pay more taxes on your property now than you would have

had the bill been calculated at this same time last week. That is an increase.

-PM

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Nooooooo...... I hate to hear this. My concern is that when (or should I say if) property values do go back up will they lower the mileage rate back down? I kinda doubt it. I'm sure they will find something to spend the extra money on.

Also, I think it might make people vote NO to splost in November which I want to too, but atleast thats a tax everybody pays and not just homeowners.

I just don't know. Its just all to depressing.

1 The revised budget was not released after the July 20th primary. The budget was posted on line on July 9th and was available to all of those at the very next commissioners in printed form for all to see and obtain a copy of that is where I got my copy. And that was well before the SPLOST vote

2 The millage rate was set at the first County Commission meeting in August, and, the public hearing was held in compliance with state laws, exactly in the same manner as in had been done in the past for as long as I can remember. It has to be done on this date in order for the Tax Commissioner to prepare the Tax Bills and mail them out and begin to collect the taxes.

3 When you get the tax bill’s you will then know who was being truthful on this issue.

So when did you first learn of the millage rate increase ???

When was it first announced to the public ???

When was it first announced on this website ???

:blink: :blink: :blink:

Supposedly the net effect will be a lower tax bill for most (about 3/4) of property owners in Paulding. Would some of you be happier if there were a lower millage rate on the old higher values that would yield a larger amount due on your next bill? HUH?

So, a lower tax bill is a big tax increase because the millage rate is higher? A biggger tax bill with a lower millage rate would please you? Disingenuous a bit perhaps?

I would be happy if they showed me a need for the increase, instead of passing it without a corresponding budget discussion. The budget for 10-11 was passed with a known revenue stream based on last falls collections. This was a move to protect the faithful from the wrath of the voters. We're not the ones being disingenuous, the BOC is.

And in the overall scheme of things, yes I would much rather have my net worth considerable more than it is now, and my real assets far more liquid. I would expect that most would also. In fact, only an idiot wouldn't.

In an more realistic world, that being one in which the budget of the county isn't completely balanced on the backs of the middle class homeowners, we probably wouldn't even need this discussion.

I would be happy if they showed me a need for the increase, instead of passing it without a corresponding budget discussion. The budget for 10-11 was passed with a known revenue stream based on last falls collections. This was a move to protect the faithful from the wrath of the voters. We're not the ones being disingenuous, the BOC is.

And in the overall scheme of things, yes I would much rather have my net worth considerable more than it is now, and my real assets far more liquid. I would expect that most would also. In fact, only an idiot wouldn't.

In an more realistic world, that being one in which the budget of the county isn't completely balanced on the backs of the middle class homeowners, we probably wouldn't even need this discussion.

And I am equally certain the BOC would rather you have your net worth considerable more than it is now, and your real assets far more liquid, AND TO COLLECT THE TAXES ON THOSE VALUES AT LAST YEARS MILLAGE RATE.

And as you very clearly point out, things would be better for all of us if we had a diversified tax base whereby industry and businesses providing local well paying jobs could pick up half that tax revenue tab.

But in the interim, the BOC was stuck with a Tax Digest which had dropped an average of 17.5% across the board. So other than putting county workers on the street corners selling popcorn, what could they do to adequately cover the projected shortfalls ?\

I would like to see the tax assessors office lay off 2/3 of their staff and go to a 3 year re-assessment rotation. Why pay the entire staff of assessors to go around re-assessing virtually every property in the county so we can collect less taxes. Would we not do better to freeze everything where it is and re-assess every 3 years starting with 1/3 of the homes for 2011 ?

Guest Hi~ho Silver

And as you very clearly point out, things would be better for all of us if we had a diversified tax base whereby industry and businesses providing local well paying jobs could pick up half that tax revenue tab.

But in the interim, the BOC was stuck with a Tax Digest which had dropped an average of 17.5% across the board. So other than putting county workers on the street corners selling popcorn, what could they do to adequately cover the projected shortfalls ?\

My question is, the tax base will be the same, more than likely this time next year. If things continue on their present course, what happens when the tax digest falls another 17.5%?

So when did you first learn of the millage rate increase ???

When was it first announced to the public ???

When was it first announced on this website ???

:blink: :blink: :blink:

July 13th 2010

July 9th 2010

I have no idea?

And I am equally certain the BOC would rather you have your net worth considerable more than it is now, and your real assets far more liquid, AND TO COLLECT THE TAXES ON THOSE VALUES AT LAST YEARS MILLAGE RATE.

I would like to see the tax assessors office lay off 2/3 of their staff and go to a 3 year re-assessment rotation. Why pay the entire staff of assessors to go around re-assessing virtually every property in the county so we can collect less taxes. Would we not do better to freeze everything where it is and re-assess every 3 years starting with 1/3 of the homes for 2011 ?

Show me the projected shortfalls. That's all I'm saying. Show me exactly what and who will have to go if they don't get the 1 mil. SHOW ME THE DAMN BUDGET. Is that so hard for everybody to understand? Don't feed me bullcr@p about natural disasters. My experience has been that if somebody wont show you alternatives, it's because they don't want you to consider the alternatives.

Show me the projected shortfalls. That's all I'm saying. Show me exactly what and who will have to go if they don't get the 1 mil. SHOW ME THE DAMN BUDGET. Is that so hard for everybody to understand? Don't feed me bullcr@p about natural disasters. My experience has been that if somebody wont show you alternatives, it's because they don't want you to consider the alternatives.

Here is the revised budget http://www.paulding.gov/DocumentView.aspx?DID=471

Thank you Whitey, but that just tells us that they intend to spend their new found 1 mil, not what specifically would have had to be cut had they not raised the rate. There were no alternatives presented as to how to balance the budget with just cuts, only the statement "In my opinion and with careful consideration the only responsible option is to slightly increase the millage rate." His "exhibits" showed that the budget would have to be reduced, well no duh. Show exactly what has to go to reduce the budget by $3 million. That's what I mean by alternatives.

Here's one way to look at the mill-rate increase. Leaving the mill-rate the same, which they said they would do on the June 1st version, would of result in 4 million dollars of less taxes collected. Raising the mill-rate, which they did yesterday, results in about 1 million of less taxes collected. So in essences, they took $3m of a $4m tax cut and saved it for future years. I'm sure it will be there when they need it and avoid any need to raise the mill-rate again in future years. :blink:

Edited by Reagan Republican

Surepip, I have to agree, most counties do not do a tax reassessment every year, my family member in Cobb is astonished that we have this every year, and it has been every year for as long as I can remember, most counties do not do this.... and why, so they can collect more every year?

Paulding has taxed us to death since we have been here, and for what? They pushed development down our throughts, they will give us intrastrusture, but guess who has to pay for that us? Who maintains all that has been built? Us... It was the Shearin demise and we all are paying for it.

I am mad, at the county and the government, when I asked for help, for things in developments they turned a blind eye(the Shearin reign) we still have run off from developments that erode our lnad and always will... no one cared... the development was God....nothing will change what they did to our land and creeks and streams.... our county was ruined and most do not trust anyone... I for one am tired of paying for developments in the Shearin reign, I know Austin is not responsible for this, but I am tired of waste in the county.... the waste the Board of Education did, do not trust them either, if they ever want any more of my precious extra money, they will have to list to the penny on what they want to spend it on... it is hard to trust a government that in years has only screwed the taxpayers... I want no more.... give me facts, give me to the penny spending..

voters are leary and so they should be... you can't trust any one, and I am not sure about the ones in office now...

I am still trying to understand the reasons behind this millage increase. Hubby on the other hand has said that he agrees with it. He does not like it at all but he understands why it is necessary. He has a Masters in Public Administration and I do value his opinion. I am still trying to decide where I stand on it. huh.gif

i for one do not agree with this in crease ,, i do understand the urgent need tho ... now with that said said we have some really hi property taxes here excessive hi and it does not scale out properly when compared to other area counties , i do have an issue tho all these empty bank owned homes are the banks paying the taxes or what if so some one is lying to us .....

i for one do not agree with this in crease ,, i do understand the urgent need tho ... now with that said said we have some really hi property taxes here excessive hi and it does not scale out properly when compared to other area counties , i do have an issue tho all these empty bank owned homes are the banks paying the taxes or what if so some one is lying to us .....

I think you will find that we owe for a lot. The new courthouse is just one of them. The county has to pay those debts.

punctuate man, puncuate!!!!! :blink:

Here's one way to look at the mill-rate increase. Leaving the mill-rate the same, which they said they would do on the June 1st version, would of result in 4 million dollars of less taxes collected. Raising the mill-rate, which they did yesterday, results in about 1 million of less taxes collected. So in essences, they took $3m of a $4m tax cut and saved it for future years. I'm sure it will be there when they need it and avoid any need to raise the mill-rate again in future years. :blink:

RR:

You're right. The commission was able to look ahead two years - an election year I might add - and see that if there is any further decline in the digest they would have to raise taxes.

What they did was, IMO, responsible. They cut the natural tax cut that came from the decline in the digest just enough to avoid having to raise the millage rate and create a 'real tax increase' in an election year.

Basically, what they did was the responsible thing and, given the economy will likely recover significantly between now and then, they may be able to offer a tax cut in two years.

They really have no choice. Cave in to your demands now and face having to pass a tax increase two years down the road in the midst of an election year or do what they did and be in a position to possibly offer a tax cut the year they face re-election.

I personally can't imagine them doing anything other than what they did. Especially if the recovery that is almost certain to gain some steam here in the next two years means they will have the reserves to help make some big things happen (vs. having the skimpiest of reserves and having to forgo whatever true opportunities that may present themselves in the interim.)

And given that overall, my tax bill will decline somewhere around $400 this year, I'm happy that they're approaching this in the most responsible of manners.

pubby

I have been paying more attention than ever to the current BOC.

They appear focused on economic development.

The majority of those now sitting will benefit personally from economic development here in the county.

If you are in business for yourself then you know that our customers are dwindling quickly from layoffs to bankruptcy.

There is nobody in this county that will not benefit from economic development.

The truth is much of our reserves went to bolstering the housing and residential industry here in the county.

As citizens we were all placed in debt for many years.

The majority of the county was benefiting and profiting from it so nothing was said.

Without economic development here our taxes will not do anything but continue to go up.

Basically the money has been spent, just like getting the credit card bill in the mail after a shopping spree.

If your current job does not pay enough to pay your bills you may find yourself paying money to go back to school to get a higher paying job to cover the bills.

Basically this is were we are at, we either have to invest in economic growth, or continue to rob Peter to pay Paul.

Consider this scenario an aircraft company wants to build a plant here, they intend to employee 4000 people.

They discover that we do not have the sewer system to handle large industry.

We can spend 10 million on sewer or they can go to Cobb and they will spend 10 million on sewer without blinking an eye.

We simply must have money in reserve for these types of opportunity.

With all that said I will be watching how the BOC is spending our taxes.

I intend to ask a lot of questions about why money is spent.

We have got to have money beyond the maintenance of services to create economic growth here, that is a fact.

The question is will we hold them accountable and make sure they spend it that way.

We can spend 10 million on sewer or they can go to Cobb and they will spend 10 million on sewer without blinking an eye.

We have got to have money beyond the maintenance of services to create economic growth here, that is a fact.

The question is will we hold them accountable and make sure they spend it that way.

I have been paying more attention too LPPT. I was at the meeting yesterday and I heard one gentleman say that we need more in reserve to contend with some of the issues that you have just raised, should it become necessary. I just know that when we sensed hard times coming and maybe less income we not only tightened our belts but we beefed up our savings as much as we could. I think in this economic climate the BOC are trying to project the budget 3 years out and if this were boiled down to my own personal finances I would be doing what they are doing.

Yeah that's how some of us feel about income tax, also.

The majority of those now sitting will benefit personally from economic development here in the county.

If you are in business for yourself then you know that our customers are dwindling quickly from layoffs to bankruptcy.

The truth is much of our reserves went to bolstering the housing and residential industry here in the county.

The majority of the county was benefiting and profiting from it so nothing was said.

Without economic development here our taxes will not do anything but continue to go up.

Basically the money has been spent, just like getting the credit card bill in the mail after a shopping spree.

If your current job does not pay enough to pay your bills you may find yourself paying money to go back to school to get a higher paying job to cover the bills.

Basically this is were we are at, we either have to invest in economic growth, or continue to rob Peter to pay Paul.

Consider this scenario an aircraft company wants to build a plant here, they intend to employee 4000 people.

I agree with you Laurie, except for the bolded line above. In actuality, it was a small handful who profited enormously, including their chosen politicians. Not only did this group NOT pursue economic development to attempt to help balance the tax base, they went out of their way to throw up roadblocks to PREVENT economic development. I always assumed it was because they did not know how to make their same sort of profits from it and did not want anyone else moving in on their goose laying the golden eggs.

If we are going to have and shot at attracting industry and businesses to Paulding the county will have to get involved with providing some of the infrastructure needed to put up decent industrial parks.

As far as this millage rate increase goes, we will see a savings of between $250 and $300 with the increase added to our reduced assessment.

It is really too bad that only a small handful of us were watching the BOC when Jerry and friends were raping and pillaging.

I think that anyone that is handling other people's money should be watched and held accountable. I am just thankful that the last bunch was busted up.

Unless Patton got it, you may have to wait for the movie

I found it. What I noticed more than anything is that this board of commissioners did actually interact with the speakers. They answered Millanese's questions multiple times. In the Shearin days he would give the speakers that cross eyed smirk like he was just too damn good to answer to a lowly citizen.

Therein lies the biggest problem. We simply don't have the infrastructure, including many quality of life issues like a highly-rated school system and active traffic management, to be highly attractive (and no, I'm not saying this is a bad place to live). With the market supporting both low real estate prices and high employment pool availability in more desirable areas we are likely to be stuck at the back of the bus for some years. There's just better out there at more reasonable prices- and better tax rates.

hmmm...

http://www.millagerate.com/blog/paulding-bungles-budget-hearings-citizens-denied-a-voice/

On August 10, the Paulding County Commission approved property tax rates to fund the FY-2011 budgets of the county and of the school system. While the school board held its millage rate steady, the County Commission approved a 14.3% increase in the M&O rate, from 6.65 to 7.60 mills.

On August 24, the Commission held a public hearing on the new budget; it is proposed to be approved at the Commission’s September 14 regular meeting.

“Hold on!” (I hear you, a mathematical millage rate advocate proclaim…) “You can’t know what the millage rate should be until after the portion of the budget that must be funded by property tax dollars is established! How can you approve a budget after approving the tax rate to fund it?”

I'm sorry I thought Kirby's comment to Milanese was snide and unprofessional. While they had all their plants stand up and tell them what a good job they were doing, when they were questioned about approving the millage increase before the budget, Kirby's comments were totally out of line.

Reminiscent of the old commission board. Not only did he get the "smirk", he also got a smart *ss comment. Not good.

I'm sorry I thought Kirby's comment to Milanese was snide and unprofessional. While they had all their plants stand up and tell them what a good job they were doing, when they were questioned about approving the millage increase before the budget, Kirby's comments were totally out of line.

Reminiscent of the old commission board. Not only did he get the "smirk", he also got a smart *ss comment. Not good.

For those of us who don't have time to research, what was Milanese's question, and what was Kirby's reply? If you don't mind, that is.

For those of us who don't have time to research, what was Milanese's question, and what was Kirby's reply? If you don't mind, that is.

Footballbeerchic's post #75 is pretty much what prompted the snide comment from Kirby. Let me go look at the tape and I'll let you know what Kirby's response was.

I found it. What I noticed more than anything is that this board of commissioners did actually interact with the speakers. They answered Millanese's questions multiple times. In the Shearin days he would give the speakers that cross eyed smirk like he was just too damn good to answer to a lowly citizen.

I watched/listened to the tape and found Melanese WAY out of bounds. He was kicking a dead horse and Kirby basically told him so.

First, the great majority of the citizens who were there to speak did so recognizing the necessity for the millage increase to keep our heads above water next month and next year. Those who complained of this increase causing more foreclosures are severely mathematically challenged. Your county M&O goes up $35, and your overall bill goes down $250. So you save $215. No escrow changes will come from that.

The public portion of the meeting followed presentations by the department heads who discussed what they had done to cut back, and what they needed to try to keep us operational.

IBA discussed what they were doing to push economic development from an industrial viewpoint instead of our old "Gosh, let's build more houses and maybe we can get an Olive Tree and a Red Lobster!".

PDOT described how dangerously close our roadways are to the point of don't bother repairing them again because we will have to dig them up and totally redo them a couple years later anyway.

And then the Paulding Pundit mr Melanese gets up there and rambles on and rambles on about nothing. Questioning the fiscal foresight to make damn certain we have a nest egg in the savings account for the end of this Next Fiscal year ? I found it absurd at best. And the county attorney and others gave him very viable explanations as to why they went on and approved the millage increase 2 weeks ago, and post poned the budget approval. To have done otherwise would have cost the Tax Commissioners office a small fortune to have to send out 2 different tax bills, not to mention the headaches to those with escrow accounts to make sure the 2nd bill got paid. I can just hear Melanese crying now about that. In the meantime, if the tax bills don't go out on time, then the BOE runs out of money.

Hey Tom/RR, assuming we get a bad tornado next spring, do you want David Austin to run down to Regions and borrow a couple of million so we can pay the overtime to the fire, police and other rescue guys ? And sacrifice our bond rating in the process, drastically increasing what we have to pay per year to service all the bonds the previous administration left us with ?

Do you want to move forward with industrial development on land owned by the county ? That's your group of buddies who built the airport, are we supposed to abandon it now cause times are tough ?

Thank you BOC for using some foresight and making sure our collective butts are covered down the road.

And I still look forward to my tax bill coming in as my mortgage company will have to cut me a refund check from the escrow account before Christmas.

• Like 1

I also watched the tape on the other site and was quite amazed at some of the comments coming from a few of the speakers, I also viewed the list of signatures on the petition and was not surprised at all, when I noticed some very familiar names, None of which ever showed up for a Tax hearing under the previous administration when taxes was increased in 2005, 2006, 2007,and, 2008 In addition the same group never did utter one whimper in 2009 when the present administration raised the millage rate to pay for the Watson Complex that was built and dedicated under the previous administration, As well as the green space bond that was placed on the ballot by the previous administration and never paid for some two years later? Where were you then??????

A review of the past history shows some interesting information, First this administration has already eliminated many jobs, In addition they have instituted benefit cuts and also have required furlough days of all employees, In addition to a hiring freeze on new employees for certain positions, As well as combining Departments that had became bloated under the previous administration.

I do not want anyone to get the wrong idea of me, I have always detested any type of tax increase in any shape form or fashion, and will continue to do so when justified, However, The record plainly shows that the county is operating on almost the same amount of tax revenue, That was being received in the year 2006.Even with the recently passed millage rate increase.

Tom, Everyone is aware of the internal fight within the Paulding County Republican party, And the factions that are involved in this internal fight to control the local party and its politics, Now is not the proper time for this power struggle to surface, The elections are over two new commissioners will assume their offices in January 2011, And one incumbent will also be a part of the new commission at that time, The County and the State is in dire finical condition, and, now is no time to fight with the local elected officials

As I previously stated to you, my taxes this year including the higher millage rate is going to be about $400.00 less than last year, And I believe the record will show a decrease from the taxes I paid in 2006. I believe that you are also aware that your taxes are going to be much lower this year than they were in 2006?

If you are intent on picking a fight with this administration, I suggest that you pick one about job creation that is the real concern here in Paulding County

• Like 1