Paulding.com

CeeJay:

I wouldn't give a flip about his slip in manners ... if he weren't asking me and you and everyone else, black, white, yellow, brown, skinny or fat, for a job ... after demonstrating that he's a bully with no respect for 'people' or even for the first amendment protections afforded those who may not think he is the 'best' man for the job.

pubby

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Man oh, Man! Did Dick Donovan go in your corn flakes? I saw an add for Dick Donovan that said he has never won an election. Good night! The editorial you did was nice too. My response to you i

Dick is running for DA.   Dick is a bully.   Don't be a DICK.

Just so you know this, if they had just let your original statement go I would have probably voted for him. His reaction to what you said is what cost him my vote; not what you said.   Because they

Posted Images

CeeJay:

I wouldn't give a flip about his slip in manners ... if he weren't asking me and you and everyone else, black, white, yellow, brown, skinny or fat, for a job ... after demonstrating that he's a bully with no respect for 'people' or even for the first amendment protections afforded those who may not think he is the 'best' man for the job.

pubby

Honetly, I think he owes you an apology for the name calling, and I hope you get it. I'm going to change my username back, too. It took courage on your part to post that video and put yourself out there for public humiliation.

We get so used to focusing on the names of our local candidates without thinking too much about the jobs we are electing them to do. The District Attorney gets theives, child molestors, murderers, and drug dealers off the streets. We think that is law enforcement's job, but it isn't. They corral them for us for a limited time, but without action from the District Attorney, they go right back out onto the street. We are turning criminals loose unpunished in large numbers in this county and then complaining that our cars and homes are being broken into and about the drug house down the street. Many of these offenders have been arrested, charged, and not prosecuted. That sends the message that we are soft on crime in Paulding. I can only imagine how frustrating that is for the LEO who are doing their part to track these people down and arrest them only to see them released.

I'll use the example of rogue teachers because that is the most disgusting crime I can think of, exploiting a child. We have had four arrested in the last 5 or so years for inappropriate conduct with children, 3 men and a woman. One of them was prosecuted and received ten years in jail. Two were let go (the one in Sarah Babb park and the HHS guy) without prosecution. Who knows what is happening with the female, but that happenend long enough ago for there to be some kind of trial. Two out of three ain't bad, but one out of four sure as hell is.

Why such a high crime rate in Paulding? Because we don't punish all of our criminals. It's a good place to roll the dice because the odds are in the criminals favor. I want that to change, even if means electing Mr. Fussy Pants over Mr. Smiley Guy.

• Like 1

CeeJay:

I don't know the specifics of those cases so I can't comment on them. Anything from uncooperative witnesses or even victims to mishandled evidence to witnesses with credibility problems could result in a case not being prosecuted.

What I do know is that the weakest sister of a candidate in a DA race is going to claim he/she can improve the conviction rate, won't let criminals roam our streets, will work diligently to prosecute the law. Why? Because no candidate is going to say anything else whether or not he or she has the ability to deliver on those promises.

The point is a rude, 64 year-old-man whose acculturation has him calling folks wideload and whatever else, who threatens to sue because he didn't like what someone said in a political campaign, is going to say that too. Just because he's 6'2 and was a cop 40 years ago doesn't change that. Indeed, one would tend to think his 32 years as a criminal defense lawyer doing his best to keep folks on the street is more in line with his personal beliefs. I mean, had he had during any of those 32 years the 'itch' to lock up criminals, he could have hired on as a prosecutor at any of the surrounding district attorney's offices from Atlanta to Douglasville to Rome or Marietta.

He didn't. He figured he could make more money keeping criminals out of jail than putting them in.

Indeed, he moved his law practice to Douglasville. In part that would be, I suspect, because Paulding is lower in crime than ... well most counties or places with 135,000 residents.

In fact I did a little analysis and a story on that. Care to view it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj58DQhusu8

So if we're a low crime area and we are comparatively, why do you think we are a high crime area?

I'll tell you why. You watch Atlanta TV news and crime is the 'big' reporters beat there. You've heard the old dictum, 'If it bleeds it leads" ... they're talking about the line up in a television news program. I've some some Atlanta stations go all the way to Seattle to 'import' a bloody murder because it was a slow news day.

It is part of the conservative news bias built into television. I say that because everywhere in the media you go to look you'll see crime news being reported. This gives us all the (mis)perception that crime is rampant when in fact it is off significantly from its high in the early 1970's when the baby boom was in their roaring 20's.

But as the story shows, we're living in an oasis of comparative peace and calm with 140 violent crimes per 100,000 folks compared to all 'places' of 100,000 to 249,999 population that record 599.2 violent crimes per 100,000 folks.

In other words, whether it fits Dicks agenda or not, the truth is that you're about one-fourth as likely to beat of the head and robbed in Paulding. The folks manning the criminal justice system here are doing their job or it wouldn't be that way.

pubby

CeeJay:

So if we're a low crime area and we are comparatively, why do you think we are a high crime area?

I'll tell you why. You watch Atlanta TV news and crime is the 'big' reporters beat there. You've heard the old dictum, 'If it bleeds it leads" ... they're talking about the line up in a television news program. I've some some Atlanta stations go all the way to Seattle to 'import' a bloody murder because it was a slow news day.

It is part of the conservative news bias built into television. I say that because everywhere in the media you go to look you'll see crime news being reported. This gives us all the (mis)perception that crime is rampant when in fact it is off significantly from its high in the early 1970's when the baby boom was in their roaring 20's.

But as the story shows, we're living in an oasis of comparative peace and calm with 140 violent crimes per 100,000 folks compared to all 'places' of 100,000 to 249,999 population that record 599.2 violent crimes per 100,000 folks.

In other words, whether it fits Dicks agenda or not, the truth is that you're about one-fourth as likely to beat of the head and robbed in Paulding. The folks manning the criminal justice system here are doing their job or it wouldn't be that way.

pubby

I'm not sure where you got your information (you just included violent crimes, non-violent crimes like theft also effect us), but our number of crimes (From UGA for 2008) show that we are above the normal state average: Paulding County Index Crimes 3738 Average County in Georgia Crime Index 2646 (around 30% higher). This rate is up substantially from 2004.

I don't mind that Mr. Donovan was a defense attorney. I bet he knows all the tricks and can see them coming.

Edited by CeeJay
  • Like 1

I'm not sure where you got your information (you just included violent crimes, non-violent crimes like theft also effect us), but our number of crimes (From UGA for 2008) show that we are above the normal state average: Paulding County Index Crimes 3738 Average County in Georgia Crime Index 2646 (around 30% higher). This rate is up substantially from 2004.

I don't mind that Mr. Donovan was a defense attorney. I bet he knows all the tricks and can see them coming.

I don't know if it has any bearing on the numbers or not but we got a new Sheriff in 2008 (if I am not mistaken). It would be interesting to see if the crime rate has dropped since then. I think we have a new Judge in the circuit too. If more people are in the DA's office now that would also make a difference in the number of cases that could be handled. I don't know the answer to all of these questions but I am sure some of the p.com folks do.

I don't know if it has any bearing on the numbers or not but we got a new Sheriff in 2008 (if I am not mistaken). It would be interesting to see if the crime rate has dropped since then. I think we have a new Judge in the circuit too. If more people are in the DA's office now that would also make a difference in the number of cases that could be handled. I don't know the answer to all of these questions but I am sure some of the p.com folks do.

No new superior court judges have been appointed [since Osborne] in several years, but we are due for I believe 2 more judges which have been held back because of a lack of funding.

No new superior court judges have been appointed [since Osborne] in several years, but we are due for I believe 2 more judges which have been held back because of a lack of funding.

I thought we got a new Circuit Judge. I could be wrong. We were approved for one weren't we? I do see that you have said we are due 2. I expect that might make a difference in how many cases could get through the system. Wow We need at least two to do what needs to be done and we don't have them?

I think the crime rate has as much to do with building tons of lower-end homes and filling them up with people as it has to do with who is sheriff or who prosecutes the crimes. I was making that point because we aren't Mayberry anymore and have to treat this as the problem it is. If we have increased instances of crime and we already don't have an effective way to prosecute the crimes, we are letting the criminals rule the roost.

For the record, ageism is a prejudice like any other. I'm not sure why Pubby is making a big deal over DD's age. That's like saying he wouldn't be good at the job because he is overweight.

I think the crime rate has as much to do with building tons of lower-end homes and filling them up with people as it has to do with who is sheriff or who prosecutes the crimes. I was making that point because we aren't Mayberry anymore and have to treat this as the problem it is. If we have increased instances of crime and we already don't have an effective way to prosecute the crimes, we are letting the criminals rule the roost.

For the record, ageism is a prejudice like any other. I'm not sure why Pubby is making a big deal over DD's age. That's like saying he wouldn't be good at the job because he is overweight.

I do agree that the increase in population numbers in Paulding probably plays into the crime rate. I wonder if the population will remain the same in Paulding or if it will change because we will have some empty repossessed houses. Where will all of those folks go? Will they stay in Paulding or leave in hopes of finding better jobs. I have read that the crime rate does go up when there are fewer jobs. We need more Judges and maybe more added to the DA staff. If Dick is elected it will be interesting to see if the numbers in cases waiting to be heard changes or if that proves to be just a campaign issue.

If Dick is elected it will be interesting to see if the numbers in cases waiting to be heard changes or if that proves to be just a campaign issue.

I would like to see that, as well. Only one way to find out!

Cases should be tried/dismissed based on evidence rather than they were "too old" to prosecute. I'm sure some of the defense attorneys play a hand in dragging out cases, as well, because they know the county has a huge backlog. If cases can't be tried for whatever reason, get them off the books. If they can be tried, do it. Dismissing all cases that we indicted before December 31, 2007 just because they were old bothers me. Why did we have so many cases that old, anyway? What crimes went unpunished?

From an attorney's website (not DD):

State v. M.S. (Superior Court of Paulding County)

This client was arrested for DUI during the summer of 2006. By the time the District Attorney issued an accusation a year later, he had suffered a falling out with a vital fact witness. We, therefore, filed a Motion for Discharge and Acquittal based on the denial of his Constitutional right to a speedy trial. The judge heard the motion and granted it. Case closed.

State v. D.G. (Superior Court of Paulding County)

This man, who works in a sensitive post on a government facility, desperately needed a non-DUI disposition. We approached the officer at the ALS hearing, discussed the case, and obtained a reduction to reckless driving on the spot.

State v. J.C.G. (Superior Court of Paulding County)

This gentleman, who had another DUI pending in another county at the time of this arrest, was involved in a one-car accident near Dallas, Georgia. He left the scene and walked to the home of a friend to obtain help. When they returned to the accident scene, an onlooker apparently pointed him out to a Paulding County deputy, who stopped the vehicle in which he was riding, handcuffed him, and put him in the back of his cruiser. A Georgia State Patrol officer appeared on the scene, got the client out of the deputy’s car, administered field sobriety tests, had the client blow into a portable breath testing device, and then arrested him. He then read the Implied Consent Warning, but our client refused to submit to a state administered test.

Since the client was in custody when the field sobriety tests were administered and he blew into the Alco-Sensor, but neither officer had advised him of his Miranda rights, all of that evidence was suppressed, as were all of his statements made in response to police questioning. Because the Implied Consent Warning was not read at the time of arrest or as soon thereafter as possible, his refusal to submit to the state administered test was also suppressed. Without the field sobriety tests, the client’s statement, or the refusal, the prosecutor dismissed the case. Our client was not so fortunate in the other case, in which we did not represent him.

STATE v. D.W (Superior Court of Paulding County)

The Defendant had played golf in Kentucky most of the day and was driving home through rural Paulding County when he was stopped and arrested for driving under the influence by a deputy on Highway 61 near Dallas, Georgia.

A videotape clearly showed that he vomited and pointed at his mouth less than a minute before taking a breath test. The officer claimed that he stuck his finger down his throat, which the video decisively disproved. We filed motions in limine challenging the admissibility of the breath test, which were not heard by the Court prior to trial.

The case was complicated by the fact that the client requested an independent blood test and was taken to a local hospital, where blood was drawn but never tested because a clerk did not properly complete some paperwork. Two hospital employees were available to testify that the client did not appear to be under the influence and was even able to recite his wife’s Social Security number. In any event, less than a week before the scheduled trial date, the prosecutor, perhaps appreciating the weaknesses in the case, dismissed the charges. While we like courtroom wins, this result was just as good as a “not guilty” verdict for our client.

The internet is full of these. As it stands, Paulding is good advertising for defense attorneys. lol.

Edited by CeeJay

I would like to see that, as well. Only one way to find out!

Cases should be tried/dismissed based on evidence rather than they were "too old" to prosecute. I'm sure some of the defense attorneys play a hand in dragging out cases, as well, because they know the county has a huge backlog. If cases can't be tried for whatever reason, get them off the books. If they can be tried, do it. Dismissing all cases that we indicted before December 31, 2007 just because they were old bothers me. Why did we have so many cases that old, anyway? What crimes went unpunished?

From an attorney's website (not DD):

State v. M.S. (Superior Court of Paulding County)

This client was arrested for DUI during the summer of 2006. By the time the District Attorney issued an accusation a year later, he had suffered a falling out with a vital fact witness. We, therefore, filed a Motion for Discharge and Acquittal based on the denial of his Constitutional right to a speedy trial. The judge heard the motion and granted it. Case closed.

State v. D.G. (Superior Court of Paulding County)

This man, who works in a sensitive post on a government facility, desperately needed a non-DUI disposition. We approached the officer at the ALS hearing, discussed the case, and obtained a reduction to reckless driving on the spot.

State v. J.C.G. (Superior Court of Paulding County)

This gentleman, who had another DUI pending in another county at the time of this arrest, was involved in a one-car accident near Dallas, Georgia. He left the scene and walked to the home of a friend to obtain help. When they returned to the accident scene, an onlooker apparently pointed him out to a Paulding County deputy, who stopped the vehicle in which he was riding, handcuffed him, and put him in the back of his cruiser. A Georgia State Patrol officer appeared on the scene, got the client out of the deputy’s car, administered field sobriety tests, had the client blow into a portable breath testing device, and then arrested him. He then read the Implied Consent Warning, but our client refused to submit to a state administered test.

Since the client was in custody when the field sobriety tests were administered and he blew into the Alco-Sensor, but neither officer had advised him of his Miranda rights, all of that evidence was suppressed, as were all of his statements made in response to police questioning. Because the Implied Consent Warning was not read at the time of arrest or as soon thereafter as possible, his refusal to submit to the state administered test was also suppressed. Without the field sobriety tests, the client’s statement, or the refusal, the prosecutor dismissed the case. Our client was not so fortunate in the other case, in which we did not represent him.

STATE v. D.W (Superior Court of Paulding County)

The Defendant had played golf in Kentucky most of the day and was driving home through rural Paulding County when he was stopped and arrested for driving under the influence by a deputy on Highway 61 near Dallas, Georgia.

A videotape clearly showed that he vomited and pointed at his mouth less than a minute before taking a breath test. The officer claimed that he stuck his finger down his throat, which the video decisively disproved. We filed motions in limine challenging the admissibility of the breath test, which were not heard by the Court prior to trial.

The case was complicated by the fact that the client requested an independent blood test and was taken to a local hospital, where blood was drawn but never tested because a clerk did not properly complete some paperwork. Two hospital employees were available to testify that the client did not appear to be under the influence and was even able to recite his wife’s Social Security number. In any event, less than a week before the scheduled trial date, the prosecutor, perhaps appreciating the weaknesses in the case, dismissed the charges. While we like courtroom wins, this result was just as good as a “not guilty” verdict for our client.

The internet is full of these. As it stands, Paulding is good advertising for defense attorneys. lol.

CeeJay:

the person who wrote the book on how to beat a speeding ticket in Georgia lives in Hiram.

Notably, his opinion is that most magistrate courts are cooked in favor of conviction and the resulting fines.

The man, I've got a copy of his CD around here somewhere, makes an exception to that rule (that your goose could be cooked) in that he states directly that one of the fairest Magistrates Court Judges in the state is Martin Valbuena.

I personally don't see a problem with the DA in the cases above. Cops who forget to read miranda lose cases, those who don't get the forms filled out for BAC tests at hospitals, lose cases. That is just the way it is.

That the DA may have suffered a 'falling out' with a vital fact witness also happens. ... like maybe the vital fact witness in this DUI ended up being jailed for a far more serious crime that he wanted the 'state' to reduce charges on in exchange for his testimony in the DUI.

Oh, BTW, the figures you point out are a comparison to all Georgia counties, no doubt.

Crime does increase with the size of the population. Paulding I believe is the 14th most populous county in Georgia with 136,000 residents. The figures I cited were the FBI uniform crime reports for 2008 (latest published figures) and they show comparisons for all suburban counties and for places with populations of between 100,000 and 249,999 ... which are proper comparables based on population and nature (suburban counties are vastly different from rural counties.)

Indeed, with 159 counties - some with as few as 6,000 residents, Georgia has more counties than any state other than Texas. That we are easily in the top ten percent in population and most are indeed rural counties, to compare to the state average of Georgia is to compare to an average community of probably under 40,000 and rural to boot.

The FBI figures allow comparisons to similarly sized and situated counties in the country.

As far as Donovan's age - 64 - he is obviously close to retirement. DA is a tough job with a lot more demands than that of a private law office.

pubby

He seems to still be a little fiesty to me, even for a 64 year old dude. We maybe should have elected him last time so we could have squeezed a few more good years out of him. My father worked on heavy machinery into his late 70's. That argument falls on deaf ears with me. I hate to think life is over at 64. Because if that is true, middle-aged is 32.

I hate it we are over 100,000. I know many other people do, too. Very few profited from the building but all of us are paying the dues with increased class sizes and more crime. Yes, we have more restaurants now, but that is meager reward.

As far as the crime statistics, you can spin them however you want. See my signature for more details.

We have more crime, no matter who measured it. We had cases (well over a thousand I remember hearing, maybe more if you add them all up for the last few years) that had to be dead docketed because they sat around without being processed for so long that they lost viability: witnesses moved or forgot, the right to a speedy trial was grounds for dismissal, or people said "just screw it", etc.

This isn't a new issue. I have heard people complain about it for years. Surely you have heard the complaints before, as well.

This is from DD's 2006 campaign materials

"During 2005, there were 3,584 warrants issued, and 3,000+ additional cases* from local courts

forwarded to the interim DAs office for prosecution. Just 1,004 of the more than 6,500 cases

were processed. That means 5,500+ cases have gone unprocessed. These cases are against

either innocent Paulding citizens awaiting their day in court, or criminal offenders who are

still on the streets because the cases now pending in the interim DAs office are not pursued."

Edited by CeeJay

I hate it we are over 100,000. I know many other people do, too. Very few profited from the building but all of us are paying the dues with increased class sizes and more crime. Yes, we have more restaurants now, but that is meager reward.

MEAGER, meager, meager. sigh

As far as the crime statistics, you can spin them however you want. See my signature for more details.

We have more crime, no matter who measured it. We had cases (well over a thousand I remember hearing, maybe more if you add them all up for the last few years) that had to be dead docketed because they sat around without being processed for so long that they lost viability: witnesses moved or forgot, the right to a speedy trial was grounds for dismissal, or people said "just screw it", etc.

This isn't a new issue. I have heard people complain about it for years. Surely you have heard the complaints before, as well.

This is from DD's 2006 campaign materials

"During 2005, there were 3,584 warrants issued, and 3,000+ additional cases* from local courts

forwarded to the interim DA’s office for prosecution. Just 1,004 of the more than 6,500 cases

were processed. That means 5,500+ cases have gone unprocessed. These cases are against

either innocent Paulding citizens awaiting their day in court, or criminal offenders who are

still on the streets because the cases now pending in the interim DA’s office are not pursued."

The DA has 9 ADA's.

There are three judges in the circuit.

Even plea bargains require a sitting judge to accept the plea.

There are double the civil cases (v. criminal cases) in the circuit.

And this is not a slam on the judges, but here you have ten (nine ADA's plus one DA) feeding the judge criminal cases and there are double that (or more) civil cases on their plate and you wonder where the bottleneck is?

The only thing DD could do is lower charges (deal more generously like criminal attorneys would like to see happen) in plea bargains and that wouldn't really help because what we need are more judges operating more courtrooms.

Actually,the current new courthouse has the courtroom space (including some finished as well as unfinished areas)for I think a dozen judges.

I would suggest that because of Dick's personality, if he were elected, things would get a lot worse before they could even get better.

First, at least half of the current ADA's would just leave because they know Donovan and would not work for him. Whether the reason is his caustic personality or loyalty for Lane, they will be jumping ship. I mean, they've got to believe, given the charges of incompetence of Lane actually reflects on them (the ADAs) and their belief that they've done a good job and that Dick has distorted to the point of incredulity, their record.

So, lets say that five of the nine, on the day after the election, are plotting their exit.

First, they're now spending time on their resume instead of disposing of cases. Lets say the bust in moral of the 'boss' being un-elected drops productivity twenty percent for five months. And of course they begin leaving and the DA's office is now understaffed dropping one-by-one for the five months. No one is being hired because it just doesn't happen.

Bottom line, instead of handling 1000 cases between now and January, they only handle 250 adding creating a real backlog of 750 cases when Dick walks in the door.

With the five ADA's gone, Dick also will face immediately the loss 10 work hours per case on 1,000 more cases - 10,000 hours of effort. Now, there are only 2000 hours of work time in a year and you've just lost five man-years.

That means it will be more than a year, with current staffing, before they can even begin to work on the 750 backlogged cases that occurred between election day and January 1st.

Oh, and because they are that far behind - 1,750 cases - and the new staff is simply not as productive as they might or could be, they'll be behind another 1000 cases by end of the first year.

So, add 2,750 cases to the 2,250 he says are lagging now and basically, all those who voted for him because of the backlog, now are looking at a 5,000 case backlog.

Dick, whose ambition blinded him to the reality that basically this is what happened when Drew took over for Judge Osborne (ADA's left, etc. and it took a good two years for Drew to get the office working 'right' ... will not be as effective in his hires and may be short and quick to fire ... because, as I imagine him saying - "I took office to get rid of the back log and you goofballs, in the course of six months have doubled it."

So, because of his bullying personality, his office becomes known for its high turnover and, as a result, inefficiency.

You asked about his age ... this is the real reason Dick's age is an issue. He won't do more than two terms as DA. no way. I suspect his real interest is to get appointed a judge (wouldn't that be a hoot to see a fat guy walk into a courtroom and be called wideload by the judge.)

My point, though, is that we the people ought to look at this office as one that we 'invest' in a person in.

Had Chad Plumely been more successful in his effort, his challenge would have been credible in that as a younger man, we could expect his service to be eight to twelve to sixteen years in the office - a career.

The same can be said for Drew in that at 47 and five years as a DA, he can be expected to be there for another 12 years unless he is promoted to judge.

Every time you change up an office like this, you end up with a big change in people and it really does hurt.

If we elect Dick, we're looking at another sea change and year of gross inefficiency probably four years from now when Dick is 68 years old.

Four years from now, Drew will be 51.

Anyway, the continuity issue is why you don't want to elect a 64 year old man for that job.

pubby

Wow. I can't believe you are being so discriminatory regarding DD's age and experience. 59 is a spring chicken and 64 is useless?

You are making things up regarding half of the ADA's quitting, along with an entire dream scenario.

At this point, you should just say you don't like DD because he called you name (much better than actual discrimination, btw) and DL is your friend. Because the rest is a fabrication.

More people of a certain age vote. I hope they are taking note of this.

Wow. I can't believe you are being so discriminatory regarding DD's age and experience. 59 is a spring chicken and 64 is useless?

You are making things up regarding half of the ADA's quitting, along with an entire dream scenario.

At this point, you should just say you don't like DD because he called you name (much better than actual discrimination, btw) and DL is your friend. Because the rest is a fabrication.

More people of a certain age vote. I hope they are taking note of this.

:good:

No matter what you say, facts you find, or how many times you point out legitimate items, Pubby is going to disagree with you and make it sound/look wrong. He obviously has decided Drew is the candidate to choose. Though as he told me he is not endorsing him. :blink:

This topic has my head spinning

LOL! This whole thread is a bit odd.

Bellaprincess:

I think different things. It is okay to disagree. It is called argument or discussion.

It is not age discrimination, by the way. And as far as the scenario of ADA's leaving ... that is what happened when Drew was appointed by the Governor (when Osborne was appointed Superior Court Judge.)

That kind of upheaval is just the way it is in politics. Politicians change and the key jobs change and that goes for District Attorneys as much as it does for Labor commissioners and Attorney's General.

You can accept the reality or deny it or paint a portrait of another reality.

If DD wins, we can revisit this in January 2011 to see.

pubby

Guest Hi~ho Silver

it is part of the conservative news bias built into television.

Conservative news bias, that hilarious!

Hell must be freezing over, I actually agree with Pubby on this thread which shows there really is a first time for everything.

Bellaprincess:

I think different things. It is okay to disagree. It is called argument or discussion.

It is not age discrimination, by the way. And as far as the scenario of ADA's leaving ... that is what happened when Drew was appointed by the Governor (when Osborne was appointed Superior Court Judge.)

That kind of upheaval is just the way it is in politics. Politicians change and the key jobs change and that goes for District Attorneys as much as it does for Labor commissioners and Attorney's General.

You can accept the reality or deny it or paint a portrait of another reality.

If DD wins, we can revisit this in January 2011 to see.

pubby

Well, if we should never change because it upsets the apple cart, maybe we should try and reach Jerry and see if he's available. :rolleyes:

:good:

No matter what you say, facts you find, or how many times you point out legitimate items, Pubby is going to disagree with you and make it sound/look wrong. He obviously has decided Drew is the candidate to choose. Though as he told me he is not endorsing him. :blink:

You are right. It is time to say a prayer to the Patron Saint of Lost Causes.

(I'm sure Pubby and I both know we aren't really trying to convince each other. We are both endorsing/campaigning. Mine just isn't a paid endorsement. :o Yeah, I went there. lol)

Well, if we should never change because it upsets the apple cart, maybe we should try and reach Jerry and see if he's available. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure about this. How old is Jerry now?

You are right. It is time to say a prayer to the Patron Saint of Lost Causes.

(I'm sure Pubby and I both know we aren't really trying to convince each other. We are both endorsing/campaigning. Mine just isn't a paid endorsement. ohmy.gif Yeah, I went there. lol)

I'm not sure about this. How old is Jerry now?

I have no idea. I'll find this and get back to you. His age may prevent him from being a viable consideration.

I have no idea. I'll find this and get back to you. His age may prevent him from being a viable consideration.

And half of the county employees would quit, because now is the best time to find a new job.

And half of the county employees would quit, because now is the best time to find a new job.

Experienced Assistant District Attorney's don't have that tough a time finding jobs and because the election and change is not limited to Paulding (there could be changes in more than one of Georgia's judicial districts) there will be openings in elsewhere.

pubby

I am just a bit curious with this question so don’t blast me too hard, I really am looking at the qualifications of these two Candidates It would appear on the surface that Drew Lane is the most Qualified since he has been prosecuting cases for some time and has shown the ability to manage employees. Has Dick Donovan ever prosecuted criminals, or has his practice consisted of Defending accused criminals. Just asking, ducking for cover now

I am just a bit curious with this question so don’t blast me too hard, I really am looking at the qualifications of these two Candidates It would appear on the surface that Drew Lane is the most Qualified since he has been prosecuting cases for some time and has shown the ability to manage employees. Has Dick Donovan ever prosecuted criminals, or has his practice consisted of Defending accused criminals. Just asking, ducking for cover now

You have the job experiences correct.

The issue is, how many cases really get prosecuted by our DA in this county. You think it would be fair to compare the number of cases prosecuted by DL to the number of cases defended by DD in the same amount of time? They are both courtroom experience. I would like to see those numbers...

(I know from being an opinionated client, read PITA, it takes as much managerial prowess to keep clients in line as it does subordinates.)

The issue is, how many cases really get prosecuted by our DA in this county. You think it would be fair to compare the number of cases prosecuted by DL to the number of cases defended by DD in the same amount of time? They are both courtroom experience. I would like to see those numbers...

(I know from being an opinionated client, read PITA, it takes as much managerial prowess to keep clients in line as it does subordinates.)

Would it be a fair comparison? DD works cases in many counties and in many different courts. DL is limited to Paulding and criminal court.

The DA has 9 ADA's.

There are three judges in the circuit.

Even plea bargains require a sitting judge to accept the plea.

There are double the civil cases (v. criminal cases) in the circuit.

And this is not a slam on the judges, but here you have ten (nine ADA's plus one DA) feeding the judge criminal cases and there are double that (or more) civil cases on their plate and you wonder where the bottleneck is?

The only thing DD could do is lower charges (deal more generously like criminal attorneys would like to see happen) in plea bargains and that wouldn't really help because what we need are more judges operating more courtrooms.

Actually,the current new courthouse has the courtroom space (including some finished as well as unfinished areas)for I think a dozen judges.

I would suggest that because of Dick's personality, if he were elected, things would get a lot worse before they could even get better.

First, at least half of the current ADA's would just leave because they know Donovan and would not work for him. Whether the reason is his caustic personality or loyalty for Lane, they will be jumping ship. I mean, they've got to believe, given the charges of incompetence of Lane actually reflects on them (the ADAs) and their belief that they've done a good job and that Dick has distorted to the point of incredulity, their record.

So, lets say that five of the nine, on the day after the election, are plotting their exit.

First, they're now spending time on their resume instead of disposing of cases. Lets say the bust in moral of the 'boss' being un-elected drops productivity twenty percent for five months. And of course they begin leaving and the DA's office is now understaffed dropping one-by-one for the five months. No one is being hired because it just doesn't happen.

Bottom line, instead of handling 1000 cases between now and January, they only handle 250 adding creating a real backlog of 750 cases when Dick walks in the door.

With the five ADA's gone, Dick also will face immediately the loss 10 work hours per case on 1,000 more cases - 10,000 hours of effort. Now, there are only 2000 hours of work time in a year and you've just lost five man-years.

That means it will be more than a year, with current staffing, before they can even begin to work on the 750 backlogged cases that occurred between election day and January 1st.

Oh, and because they are that far behind - 1,750 cases - and the new staff is simply not as productive as they might or could be, they'll be behind another 1000 cases by end of the first year.

So, add 2,750 cases to the 2,250 he says are lagging now and basically, all those who voted for him because of the backlog, now are looking at a 5,000 case backlog.

Dick, whose ambition blinded him to the reality that basically this is what happened when Drew took over for Judge Osborne (ADA's left, etc. and it took a good two years for Drew to get the office working 'right' ... will not be as effective in his hires and may be short and quick to fire ... because, as I imagine him saying - "I took office to get rid of the back log and you goofballs, in the course of six months have doubled it."

So, because of his bullying personality, his office becomes known for its high turnover and, as a result, inefficiency.

You asked about his age ... this is the real reason Dick's age is an issue. He won't do more than two terms as DA. no way. I suspect his real interest is to get appointed a judge (wouldn't that be a hoot to see a fat guy walk into a courtroom and be called wideload by the judge.)

My point, though, is that we the people ought to look at this office as one that we 'invest' in a person in.

Had Chad Plumely been more successful in his effort, his challenge would have been credible in that as a younger man, we could expect his service to be eight to twelve to sixteen years in the office - a career.

The same can be said for Drew in that at 47 and five years as a DA, he can be expected to be there for another 12 years unless he is promoted to judge.

Every time you change up an office like this, you end up with a big change in people and it really does hurt.

If we elect Dick, we're looking at another sea change and year of gross inefficiency probably four years from now when Dick is 68 years old.

Four years from now, Drew will be 51.

Anyway, the continuity issue is why you don't want to elect a 64 year old man for that job.

pubby

Who has the most experience in prosecuting cases, the numbers are irrelevant. I do not want a rookie prosecuting Child molesters, Murders, Rape cases etc. Do you?

Who has the most experience in prosecuting cases, the numbers are irrelevant. I do not want a rookie prosecuting Child molesters, Murders, Rape cases etc. Do you?

I don't want someone who spent their career getting the off (completely or on lighter sentences) prosecuting them either.

Better that somebody prosecutes them than nobody, don't you think?

So is he an old fart or a rookie? I am confused...

Who has the most experience in prosecuting cases, the numbers are irrelevant.

Hahahaha. Forgot to laugh.

No, courtroom experience is courtroom experience. The law is the law. Same laws on both sides, I'm pretty sure.

(I am tickling myself in this defense of a man I don't even know.)

I think this last argument is ridiculous and weak. The pitcher gets to bat. The chef gets to eat. You have time to think, dinner time.

Edited by CeeJay
  • Like 1

Dear Pubby, I say no one but God knows for sure what is in store for all of us… but since you effectively predict the future now. Can you please give me lottery numbers for say the next year? I don't want to seem to be greedy. That is how far you can see into the future?

Edited by ultramsb
  • Like 1

Before you say that, call Drew Lane and ask him how many child molesters are in jail as a result of his efforts.

Also, here is a blurb from his website :

"Has completed specialized training by the F.B.I. in sex crimes investigation. He’s made arrests and prosecuted cases, among other crimes, for murder, rape, robbery, child molestation, family violence, and many, many cases for DUI. He will come to the District Attorney’s position with a wealth of knowledge which others seeking the position just don’t have. "

www.donovanforda.com/index.html

G. Wolf

Edited by PUBBY
please no live links to political sites of non-political members.

Better that somebody prosecutes them than nobody, don't you think?

So is he an old fart or a rookie? I am confused...

Hahahaha. Forgot to laugh.

No, courtroom experience is courtroom experience. The law is the law. Same laws on both sides, I'm pretty sure.

(I am tickling myself in this defense of a man I don't even know.)

I think this last argument is ridiculous and weak. The pitcher gets to bat. The chef gets to eat. You have time to think, dinner time.

Would you like for me to introduce you? :ninja:

"Has completed specialized training by the F.B.I. in sex crimes investigation. He’s made arrests and prosecuted cases, among other crimes, for murder, rape, robbery, child molestation, family violence, and many, many cases for DUI. He will come to the District Attorney’s position with a wealth of knowledge which others seeking the position just don’t have. "

G. Wolf

I, too, posess the skills to fluff my resume while still keeping it factual.

Would you like for me to introduce you? :ninja:

Nah, my attorney was HOT! If I ever need one again, I'm for sure calling him.

I, too, posess the skills to fluff my resume while still keeping it factual.

Are you a fluffer in the summer? lol.

G. Wolf

I saw where he prosecuted criminals as you have copy and pasted from his web site,Just have not seen where he prosecuted those criminals at, can you help me with this?