Paulding.com

A vow against negative campaigning

This afternoon, I received a mail piece from Steve Golden's campaign, viciously attacking Daniel Stout. While on many issues I disagree with Mr. Stout, I am appalled at the content and nature of the mailer I received. I am wholly against the practice of "attack campaigning," which disregards issues that will affect the future of Paulding County and instead resorts to personal attacks, lies, and half-truths. In our lives, we all make mistakes-- to do so is only human. However I believe that bringing these out into a public forum so negatively only serves to denigrate the democratic political process, and I am frankly disappointed that Mr. Golden would resort to such tactics at such a late stage in the game.

I hope that, following the primary next Tuesday, my Republican opponent and I (whomever he or she may be) will be able to have a civil, honest, and respectful discussion about the future of Paulding County, and that dirty politics will be left in the garbage, where it belongs. I promise to whoever my opponent is and to the citizens of Paulding County that I will not involve myself in such campaign tactics that do not address the issues at hand.

Respectively yours,

Will Avery

• Like 2

Was there anything that wasn't correct in the mailpiece though? I don't see if as "attack campaigning" at all.

This afternoon, I received a mail piece from Steve Golden's campaign, viciously attacking Daniel Stout. While on many issues I disagree with Mr. Stout, I am appalled at the content and nature of the mailer I received. I am wholly against the practice of "attack campaigning," which disregards issues that will affect the future of Paulding County and instead resorts to personal attacks, lies, and half-truths. In our lives, we all make mistakes-- to do so is only human. However I believe that bringing these out into a public forum so negatively only serves to denigrate the democratic political process, and I am frankly disappointed that Mr. Golden would resort to such tactics at such a late stage in the game.

I hope that, following the primary next Tuesday, my Republican opponent and I (whomever he or she may be) will be able to have a civil, honest, and respectful discussion about the future of Paulding County, and that dirty politics will be left in the garbage, where it belongs. I promise to whoever my opponent is and to the citizens of Paulding County that I will not involve myself in such campaign tactics that do not address the issues at hand.

Respectively yours,

Will Avery

I got the same mailer today along with some others...

I don't know why all of the ones that are running can not try to win votes on what they do and say and what they WILL do and what they WILL say.

instead of all the he said this, she did this., it is amazing that we never hear about any of this until it comes election time.

what about the rest of the time? do these issues not matter?

I will be so glad when Tuesday is over.

• Like 1

It is better to discuss issues. I know sometimes that sort of nasty mud slinging is successful, but it actually insults voters.

It's not the best brand of politics. I saw the flier. It is pretty hardcore and devoid of Steve Golden's differences in views on any issues from Daniel Stout.

Very disappointing.

I also received the splost mailer the funny thing is it does not cover what all the splost will cover.. it is only talking about 911, maintaining roads, the parks and rec must be under * other projects* that are listed on the mailer.

Can someone post just the sentence that speaks about "repentence" ??? I got the jist of the rest of the mailer.

you mean the part about changing your ways?

I got the same thing from Paulette Rakestraw last week talking about Daniel Stout..

someone has a lot of money sitting in my garbage can because that is where all this crap goes..

it is money wasted...

you mean the part about changing your ways?

I got the same thing from Paulette Rakestraw last week talking about Daniel Stout..

someone has a lot of money sitting in my garbage can because that is where all this crap goes..

it is money wasted...

Yes, that sentence.

Was there anything that wasn't correct in the mailpiece though? I don't see if as "attack campaigning" at all.

Why should anyone have to disprove a negative?

About the only "issue" mentioned was really a fake issue. (missing a meaningless grandstanding vote on repealing "Obamacare")

The rest of it was about something that happened when Stout was 19 years old. Last century?

It was a personal non-issues based insulting-to-any-discerning-voter attack ad. This flyer must have rubbed against some dog mess cause it sure does STINK.

ok not all of it was suppose to have happened when he was 19.

he missed 45 legislative votes on issues during his short time in legislative. he chose to go to work instead of representing us at the capitol.

he voted against letting you decide on a new transportation program for our area.

but still not necessary to mail all of that crap.

I wonder if I can put return to sender on these fliers :ninja:

My answer to the four issues listed in the mailer I just received at my house...

1. I did admit to my horrible action as a teenager. I didn't and don't make any excuses for myself. I admitted it to my ex-wife immediately and sought her forgiveness. I have received her forgiveness, and have a good relationship with her, and my daughter. The insinuation that I have not changed my ways is not accurate at all. That mistake is one that I have not come close to making again, and I have been absolutely faithful to Kelly.

2. I missed one day because the FDIC was coming to do a routine, bi-annual audit of the Bank. It was very important that I introduce the FDIC to the credit files I managed. This day was excused and the Speaker and the Majority Whip were aware ahead of time. Further... the reason the vote on the Obamacare Resolution did not pass is because it simply did not have the votes necessary. There was discussion of bringing the Resolution up for another vote... but we didn't have the votes (with everyone there), so we didn't bring it back up.

3. I voted FOR and helped pass SB 411 which was the most effective bill we could pass in opposition to Obamacare.

4. The las topic deals with the Regional Transportation Plan (HB272). I voted against the RTP, even though I actually thought it was a really good idea. I voted against it because during the campaign I promised voters that I would vote against it. I made this promise base on the (mis-)understanding of the bill that it would require all of the districts to pay a new penny sales tax whether they approved their specific plan or not. So I misunderstood the specifics of the bill when I promised not to support it. I found myself in the position of voting FOR what now seemed like a good idea, thus breaking my word, or keeping my word to the voters and casting a no-vote on what I thought was a good idea.

I chose to keep my word.

In closing let me just say this... My job as a Representative is to represent the people of Paulding (Republicans, Democrats, and Independents) as accurately as I can, and to fulfill my oath to uphold the Constitution. As a Candidate I will run as vigorous a campaign as possible but I will do so in as honorable a way as I can.

Do I want to serve the people of the 19th District in the GA State House? Yes.

Will I demonize a person in order to achieve that end? No, it's not worth it.

I welcome anyone interested (as I have before) to call me and discuss any of these issues with me personally.

My cell phone # is 770-655-7750.

Sincerely, Daniel Stout

• Like 4

My answer to the four issues listed in the mailer I just received at my house...

1. I did admit to my horrible action as a teenager. I didn't and don't make any excuses for myself. I admitted it to my ex-wife immediately and sought her forgiveness. I have received her forgiveness, and have a good relationship with her, and my daughter. The insinuation that I have not changed my ways is not accurate at all. That mistake is one that I have not come close to making again, and I have been absolutely faithful to Kelly.

2. I missed one day because the FDIC was coming to do a routine, bi-annual audit of the Bank. It was very important that I introduce the FDIC to the credit files I managed. This day was excused and the Speaker and the Majority Whip were aware ahead of time. Further... the reason the vote on the Obamacare Resolution did not pass is because it simply did not have the votes necessary. There was discussion of bringing the Resolution up for another vote... but we didn't have the votes (with everyone there), so we didn't bring it back up.

3. I voted FOR and helped pass SB 411 which was the most effective bill we could pass in opposition to Obamacare.

4. The las topic deals with the Regional Transportation Plan (HB272). I voted against the RTP, even though I actually thought it was a really good idea. I voted against it because during the campaign I promised voters that I would vote against it. I made this promise base on the (mis-)understanding of the bill that it would require all of the districts to pay a new penny sales tax whether they approved their specific plan or not. So I misunderstood the specifics of the bill when I promised not to support it. I found myself in the position of voting FOR what now seemed like a good idea, thus breaking my word, or keeping my word to the voters and casting a no-vote on what I thought was a good idea.

I chose to keep my word.

In closing let me just say this... My job as a Representative is to represent the people of Paulding (Republicans, Democrats, and Independents) as accurately as I can, and to fulfill my oath to uphold the Constitution. As a Candidate I will run as vigorous a campaign as possible but I will do so in as honorable a way as I can.

I welcome anyone interested (as I have before) to call me and discuss any of these issues with me personally.

My cell phone # is 770-655-7750.

Sincerely, Daniel Stout

Just for arguments sake on the transportation bill; As I understand it that bill was just to allow a referendum to allow the voters to decide if we would or would not support a regional transportation 1Cent sales tax.

Why would you choose to make up our minds for us, instead of approving a bill to simply allow a resolution to put this issue on a voter referendum next year ?

And even more so considering the transportation woes of Paulding County ? There was no "tax increase" issue here. It was simply to allow or not allow a referendum to let the voters decide for themselves, much the same as the SPLOST.

Can you explain this further ?

Just for arguments sake on the transportation bill; As I understand it that bill was just to allow a referendum to allow the voters to decide if we would or would not support a regional transportation 1Cent sales tax.

Why would you choose to make up our minds for us, instead of approving a bill to simply allow a resolution to put this issue on a voter referendum next year ?

And even more so considering the transportation woes of Paulding County ? There was no "tax increase" issue here. It was simply to allow or not allow a referendum to let the voters decide for themselves, much the same as the SPLOST.

Can you explain this further ?

Read much?

"I made this promise base on the (mis-)understanding of the bill that it would require all of the districts to pay a new penny sales tax whether they approved their specific plan or not. So I misunderstood the specifics of the bill when I promised not to support it. I found myself in the position of voting FOR what now seemed like a good idea, thus breaking my word, or keeping my word to the voters and casting a no-vote on what I thought was a good idea."

Read much?

"I made this promise base on the (mis-)understanding of the bill that it would require all of the districts to pay a new penny sales tax whether they approved their specific plan or not. So I misunderstood the specifics of the bill when I promised not to support it. I found myself in the position of voting FOR what now seemed like a good idea, thus breaking my word, or keeping my word to the voters and casting a no-vote on what I thought was a good idea."

No.....I don't think I like the idea of any legislator taking a tax decision like this OUT of the tax paying voters hands. I am trying to get clarification of just why Mr Stout voted against it. He makes no sense on his no vote statement.

Sincerely, Daniel Stout

Mr. Stout -

didn't you intentionally mislead people in your mailer this week? You and your opponents are similiar on the issues, yet you took your short time in office and tried to make your opponents look back and misled people with information.

You misrepresented their voting record of many years compared to your few days, making them look like they were in favor of higher taxes and more government spending.

Braddock has a track record of voting against higher taxes, voting against them the majority of the time, yet your mailpiece said she voted for higher taxes and more government spending. That was a lie.

Golden and Braddock have taken a similar stance on the issues, but you intentionally misled people to think that they are completely different on the issues.

Don't try to act like you are above negative campaigning because your actions show that you are not.

I have listened to Mr.Stout,he was open and he came clean on his past. When I was 19 I was off the chain.drinks.gif Now everyone had many chances to listen and have him answer questions. I for one will vote for him based on my gut instinct. Unless someone has a very clear canidate that sails way ahead of Mr.Stout please come forward. He answered the questions,now let the show begin.clapping.gif

I have listened to Mr.Stout,he was open and he came clean on his past. When I was 19 I was off the chain.drinks.gif Now everyone had many chances to listen and have him answer questions. I for one will vote for him based on my gut instinct. Unless someone has a very clear canidate that sails way ahead of Mr.Stout please come forward. He answered the questions,now let the show begin.clapping.gif

Now that people have had time to discuss his dalliance that ruined his first marriage, I think that it is pretty much a non issue. Not so much in the special election, where he touted his religion and his morality, and then at the eleventh hour was sprung the news of such a personal transgression, in fact with most not knowing a thing about it until after Mr. Stout cast his first vote in the legislature. Now it's out there and voters can make up their own minds. His voting record speaks for itself.

Mr. Avery, I thank you for trying to stick to the issues. That is a rarity these days.

Now that people have had time to discuss his dalliance that ruined his first marriage, I think that it is pretty much a non issue. Not so much in the special election, where he touted his religion and his morality, and then at the eleventh hour was sprung the news of such a personal transgression, in fact with most not knowing a thing about it until after Mr. Stout cast his first vote in the legislature. Now it's out there and voters can make up their own minds. His voting record speaks for itself.

Mr. Avery, I thank you for trying to stick to the issues. That is a rarity these days.

I agree. Maybe more things could be accomplished if there wasnt so much sh*t slinging. I would rather here about someones intentions, than I would here about what they did as a child. I am ashamed to say, I distanced myself from local politics because of the nastiness and lies. Everyone talks a good game and I cant believe any of it. It is the ones that run a respectful campaign that catch my eye.

As far as Mr. Stout voting on his word, versus his opinion..I'm not so sure how I feel. Although, keeping your word is good, I think I would rather know, when it comes down to casting a vote, that they will base their vote on what ends up being good for the people. Oftentimes while campaigning, candidates say "I wont do this or that" but they are saying it before the complete bill is even out. Maybe they need not tell us what they will vote for and against until the facts are out.

Mr. Stout spews way too much religious crapola for me to consider him representing me. Religion is a PART of life, not the center of life. If that rubs some of you the wrong way it is only because you can't see the truth. Nothing wrong with being religious, but I do have a problem with some over the top religious fanatic making decisions that effect me. I prefer someone with the ability to consider ALL aspects of a situation and make a decision that is in MY best interest. Somehow I think Mr. Stout would have to be biased toward what was best for the Right to Lifers since they are one of his largest supporters.

There is an absolute necessity for a separation of church and state. I am going to do my part to keep it separate.

Mr. Stout spews way too much religious crapola for me to consider him representing me. Religion is a PART of life, not the center of life. If that rubs some of you the wrong way it is only because you can't see the truth. Nothing wrong with being religious, but I do have a problem with some over the top religious fanatic making decisions that effect me. I prefer someone with the ability to consider ALL aspects of a situation and make a decision that is in MY best interest. Somehow I think Mr. Stout would have to be biased toward what was best for the Right to Lifers since they are one of his largest supporters.

There is an absolute necessity for a separation of church and state. I am going to do my part to keep it separate.

My biggest issue with the RTL crowd is why waste time, energy, money, and effort trying to pass state legislation which the SCOTUS will shoot down. Until Roe v Wade is overturned, the law of the land will remain as it is. And I ask the RTLfers if they are willing to have part of their legislation include the clause to prohibit Birth Control Pills at the same time?

Keep your religion, but don't wear it on your sleeve and base public politics on it. As the man said, Church and State are separate.

Respectively yours,

Will Avery

I will watch the General election and see if this promise sticks!

I don't read voting mailers (I read voting records to make my decisions), but after I was just texted about this I fished it out of the trash and read it.

Let me just say that I actually LIKE negative campaign pieces if they are accurate and shed light on the very worst about a candidate. I prefer to decide on a candidate based on the full range of the good AND the bad (just as I always make a point to read the one-star reviews before purchasing a book).

Mr. Golden's piece, however, is a piece of garbage. It's sensationalistic to the point of being utterly ridiculous. What an embarrassment for the Steve Golden campaign. Of the four points it raised, only one was relevant, and Mr. Stout addressed that point in his post above.

I know Mr. Golden (he built our house), and he once looked my husband and me directly in the eye and lied. Even if he had all the "right" campaign talking points, I could never, EVER vote for someone who would deliberately tell a bald-faced lie. I appreciate Mr. Stout's willingness to cast an unpopular vote because it was that important to him to keep a promise. Those two instances speak worlds to the difference in these two men's character.

I don't read voting mailers (I read voting records to make my decisions), but after I was just texted about this I fished it out of the trash and read it.

Let me just say that I actually LIKE negative campaign pieces if they are accurate and shed light on the very worst about a candidate. I prefer to decide on a candidate based on the full range of the good AND the bad (just as I always make a point to read the one-star reviews before purchasing a book).

Mr. Golden's piece, however, is a piece of garbage. It's sensationalistic to the point of being utterly ridiculous. What an embarrassment for the Steve Golden campaign. Of the four points it raised, only one was relevant, and Mr. Stout addressed that point in his post above.

I know Mr. Golden (he built our house), and he once looked my husband and me directly in the eye and lied. Even if he had all the "right" campaign talking points, I could never, EVER vote for someone who would deliberately tell a bald-faced lie. I appreciate Mr. Stout's willingness to cast an unpopular vote because it was that important to him to keep a promise. Those two instances speak worlds to the difference in these two men's character.

Which were not true? Which were irrelevant? just asking? Looks like you actually have another ax to grind here and there are always two sides to every story. I did not see the same things you did. Of course I have made knowing the facts in this campaign my business. I will accept the voters choice in this election and if it is Mr. Stout then at least he will win this election with the voters knowing the facts. He will also be my Representative.

i'm disappointed, i am register voter in district-19 and i have yet to receive any mailers from any canidate. I have lived in Paulding county since 1994, so it is not like i'm new to the area. maybe it is because until 3-years ago i lived in Howard Maxwell's district. again, maybe i'm lucky not to receive all this junk mail, then again maybe the canidates don't care about my vote and only targeted a certain areas for their mailers and not the whole district. until now, i did not care much about the local races that affected me and my family. I did not even know who Glenn Richardson was until he became speaker of the house. I did meet Howard Maxwell a couple of years ago. I now have made it a point to pay attention to who is running for local offices. I have met and talked to all 4 canidates running for the district-19 seat and i don't need a flyer in the mail to make up my mind about who i will vote for. i asked each of them where they stood on what was important to me. i have also talked to the canidates for District Attorney, Post-2 commission (Post I live in) and of course I have kept up with the state-wide races too.

BM

Which were not true? Which were irrelevant?

I didn't say they weren't true. The issue raised that was relevant to me was the claim of absenteeism. I'm satisfied with Mr. Stout's addressing of that issue in this thread.

Looks like you actually have another ax to grind here and there are always two sides to every story.

I have an axe to grind?

BushMonkey, I'll be happy to send you all my campaign junk mail! :p

Edited by JuliaG

I didn't say they weren't true. The issue raised that was relevant to me was the claim of absenteeism. I'm satisfied with Mr. Stout's addressing of that issue in this thread.

I have an axe to grind?

I don't have one to grind if that is what you are insinuating. But you apparently were not satisfied with something to do with your house. I have met and spoken with all of the candidates and have taken the time to decide which to vote for based on the issues as well as their judgement and conservative values. Some I believe to actually possess all of those things some I don't.

I don't have one to grind if that is what you are insinuating.

Not at all; I was genuinely surprised and confused by your statement that I did. I don't have any axe to grind... if someone reveals something important about their character, I make a note of it and act accordingly; I don't get offended or hold a grudge.

But you apparently were not satisfied with something to do with your house.

The lie was told a few minutes before we signed the contract to build. We found out it was a lie the very next day. We chose to continue with Mr. Golden as our builder but obviously recognized that any promises must be obtained in writing. There was one promise we neglected to ask for in writing so we didn't get what we were promised, but I consider that to be 100% OUR fault... the whole "fool me twice" thing. Never at any time during the building process did I consider myself to have an axe to grind, nor do I now, but I would certainly be a fool to put any faith in what a liar says, wouldn't you agree? Mr. Golden is a perfectly nice, likeable fellow. I just know that anything he says can't be trusted, that's all. It's nothing personal.

Not at all; I was genuinely surprised and confused by your statement that I did. I don't have any axe to grind... if someone reveals something important about their character, I make a note of it and act accordingly; I don't get offended or hold a grudge.

The lie was told a few minutes before we signed the contract to build. We found out it was a lie the very next day. We chose to continue with Mr. Golden as our builder but obviously recognized that any promises must be obtained in writing. There was one promise we neglected to ask for in writing so we didn't get what we were promised, but I consider that to be 100% OUR fault... the whole "fool me twice" thing. Never at any time during the building process did I consider myself to have an axe to grind, nor do I now, but I would certainly be a fool to put any faith in what a liar says, wouldn't you agree? Mr. Golden is a perfectly nice, likeable fellow. I just know that anything he says can't be trusted, that's all. It's nothing personal.

I have signed a few contracts in my time too and I do know that during the negotiations you absolutely have to get the agreements in writing. You can also misunderstand some things that are said. Hence the need for them to be in writing.

Definitely agree with that, which is why I consider the broken promise related to the house to be MY fault. What I'm referring to as a lie was not a promise that was made that should have been put into writing... it was something factual that he knew was a lie at the time... quite different from a simple broken promise or a misunderstanding. Anyway, I've derailed this thread enough already; my apologies to the OP.

Edited by JuliaG

Definitely agree with that, which is why I consider the broken promise related to the house to be MY fault. What I'm referring to as a lie was not a promise that was made that should have been put into writing... it was something factual that he knew was a lie at the time... quite different from a simple broken promise or a misunderstanding. Anyway, I've derailed this thread enough already; my apologies to the OP.

Maybe you should give him a call about it. I don't think you have derailed the thread at all. It all goes to Negative campaigning. I believe when we post in favor or against candidates it can fall into that arena.

i'm disappointed, i am register voter in district-19 and i have yet to receive any mailers from any canidate. I have lived in Paulding county since 1994, so it is not like i'm new to the area. maybe it is because until 3-years ago i lived in Howard Maxwell's district. again, maybe i'm lucky not to receive all this junk mail, then again maybe the canidates don't care about my vote and only targeted a certain areas for their mailers and not the whole district. until now, i did not care much about the local races that affected me and my family. I did not even know who Glenn Richardson was until he became speaker of the house. I did meet Howard Maxwell a couple of years ago. I now have made it a point to pay attention to who is running for local offices. I have met and talked to all 4 canidates running for the district-19 seat and i don't need a flyer in the mail to make up my mind about who i will vote for. i asked each of them where they stood on what was important to me. i have also talked to the canidates for District Attorney, Post-2 commission (Post I live in) and of course I have kept up with the state-wide races too.

BM

Ok they get there list from past voters,have you voted before. Do you attend our republican party meetings? Next are you involved in any community action?blink.gif

BM

If you vote in the primary elections they should be sending you stuff. Maybe you are lucky not to get all of it. Some of them have been full of lies and downright mean. This site won't clear it up for you though!

Julia: I know what you are talking about. I know 2 others who had "issues" of truthfulness with Mr. Golden. I wanted to like him but I can't disregard the things I know.

If you vote in the primary elections they should be sending you stuff. Maybe you are lucky not to get all of it. Some of them have been full of lies and downright mean. This site won't clear it up for you though!

i didn't get them either, i did see the one golden mailed out and there is no way ever that i would even consider voting for him - he went against everything his fb page states he is - Mr. Stout is true, honest, and will be great - he gets my vote

i didn't get them either, i did see the one golden mailed out and there is no way ever that i would even consider voting for him - he went against everything his fb page states he is - Mr. Stout is true, honest, and will be great - he gets my vote

I see you have a problem with folks knowing the truth too. I can't say that I would have sent them out but some have bashed the Republican Party here in Paulding for not saying anything about the charges against Glenn. Now some of the same folks are condemning a Republican who has put out what he believes to be the same kind of stuff. I don't believe you can win either way if you are not their chosen candidate. JMO

I just hope the BEST candidate wins and whoever it is we will get a chance to see what they truly stand for.

Have any other candidates made statements in forums here?

I don't think so. I believe Avery and Stout are the only ones who have commented by name. It is possible Golden and Braddock have been on using an avatar and remained anonymous.

Pretty much the same for the post commissioners as well. I can't say I have seen much direct posting by any of the candidates. Most seem to have left that up to their supporters and detractors.

I appreciated and thank Stout and Avery for taking the time, and to have the cajones to address the p.com crowd direct. I assume it is a bit like walking into the lion's den.clapping.gif