Paulding.com

What about the other statewide offices ?

There has been no discussions on the other statewide offices to speak of.

Are the [R] voters going to vote in the Republican primary or switch over to the [D] ballot to vote against Roy and company ?

Ag is getting a new commissioner after 40something years of Tommy Irwin [D].

I am a big supporter of Gary Black [R]. Gary has been more active in Georgia Agriculture with the Ag Center than Irwin has for the past 10-15 years, and will make a great commissioner.

This one has already gotten MrsSurepip in trouble at the Ag Department as the Powers that Be, found out I was an aquaintance of, and a supporter in the past of Gary Black and have held that against the Mrs when other job openings in the commissioner's office became available.

Mark Barnes [R] seems to have his sticks together as Labor Commissioner.

And his probably opponent will be MrsSurepip's ex-boss Terry Coleman [D], who has been Deputy Ag Commissioner for the past 2-1/2 years. Mr Coleman was the last Democrat Speaker of the house between Murphy and Richardson. We were not impressed.

I really like Carol Porter [D] for Lt Governor. Never have care for Casey Cagle and his crowd. But I won't be able to vote for Ms Porter and Gary Black, so I will have to stick with supporting Gary Black on the [R] ticket and hope Porter gets the nod to be on the November ballot.

The rest of the races are pretty much unknowns to me other than maybe the state senate seats, but Hamrick's opposition is not impressive although I am think Bridges may give Heath a race.

Insurance commissioner has 9 [R]s running so I assume a run-off is in the making there.

Attorney General and Public Service are unknowns to me except Olens, the old Cobb Commissioner Chairman. King Jerry used to claim to have a great working relationship with Olens, so I will tend to shy away from him.

What say ye?

There has been no discussions on the other statewide offices to speak of.

Are the [R] voters going to vote in the Republican primary or switch over to the [D] ballot to vote against Roy and company ?

Ag is getting a new commissioner after 40something years of Tommy Irwin [D].

I am a big supporter of Gary Black [R]. Gary has been more active in Georgia Agriculture with the Ag Center than Irwin has for the past 10-15 years, and will make a great commissioner.

This one has already gotten MrsSurepip in trouble at the Ag Department as the Powers that Be, found out I was an aquaintance of, and a supporter in the past of Gary Black and have held that against the Mrs when other job openings in the commissioner's office became available.

Mark Barnes [R] seems to have his sticks together as Labor Commissioner.

And his probably opponent will be MrsSurepip's ex-boss Terry Coleman [D], who has been Deputy Ag Commissioner for the past 2-1/2 years. Mr Coleman was the last Democrat Speaker of the house between Murphy and Richardson. We were not impressed.

I really like Carol Porter [D] for Lt Governor. Never have care for Casey Cagle and his crowd. But I won't be able to vote for Ms Porter and Gary Black, so I will have to stick with supporting Gary Black on the [R] ticket and hope Porter gets the nod to be on the November ballot.

The rest of the races are pretty much unknowns to me other than maybe the state senate seats, but Hamrick's opposition is not impressive although I am think Bridges may give Heath a race.

Insurance commissioner has 9 [R]s running so I assume a run-off is in the making there.

Attorney General and Public Service are unknowns to me except Olens, the old Cobb Commissioner Chairman. King Jerry used to claim to have a great working relationship with Olens, so I will tend to shy away from him.

What say ye?

I have never ever voted Democrat. Never will. I'll vote honestly in the Republican primary. I realize that Roy will be the liberal candidate. I hope he gets his behind kicked.

I say: I HATE having to vote STRAIGHT party ticket in the primary.

I VOTED this morning.

And that's all I have to say. ;)

Yes, but think of what a mess it would be if we could vote in multiple primaries !!!drinks.gif

I normally vote Republican, but I thought about crossing over and voting for Thurbert Baker just to take some votes from King Roy. Bill Clinton endorsed Baker, btw. Anyhoo, I'm sticking with the Republican primary because there are too many important votes over there to miss. And Gary Black is definitely getting my vote! I agree Irvin overstayed his welcome.

If half the Republicans in the state crossed over, I doubt that they could stop Roy. There is no point to crossover voting unless first, the vote will be close, and second, the primary is effectively the election as was the case when Republicans crossed over to nuke that moon bat Cynthia McKinney in favor of her opponent. I find it far more beneficial and likely for the Dems to cross over and vote for Ox, since he is a front runner with a small margin and will be an easy target come November. That is if he makes it to November without being indicted.

As for the AG commissioner, I thank you for your insight. That is a difficult job that encompasses both industry support and oversight and takes a strong, honest personality.

I also agree that we will likely have a Republican Insurance Commissioner, but who knows which one it will be. Rick Collum seems like a good kid with a strong legal background as both a former US Marshall and as a current Magistrate Judge. I think that that might place him in a better position to offer oversight instead of being an apologist for the industry he is supposed to be regulating. I don't like the idea of an Insurance Agent or "Benefits Consultant" as Insurance Commissioner. That would be like putting the president of Georgia Power on the Public Service Commission and giving him 3 votes. The rest, including the front runners are career politicians just looking to move up. Hudgens and Sheffield have all the money though, and it will probably be one of them.

As for SOS, I think Kemp will be hard to beat, as will Sam Olens for AG if he can get out the vote in rural Georgia, but I have been wrong before.

Preston Smith, state rep. from Rome, is running for AG, and he's a very good guy. '

RE: governor poll - redstate.com today links to a poll showing Handel in the lead with something like 32%, with Deal and Ox each at 18%. Johnson, et al, way on back. Arizona Gov. Janet Brewer and Sarah Palin have both endorsed Handel; Newt Gingrich has endorsed Deal (which I personally don't see as a plus, but whatever).

Oh, yeah - for SOS, I'm voting for MacGinnitie.

Edited by mei lan

Yes Gary Black will make a good AG Commissioner. I worked for AG for 30 years and IRVIN over stayed his time by about 10-15 years.

Oh so true, and that is unfortunate because Irwin accomplished SO MUCH in his younger years. We would be much better off had he stepped aside when Sonny won 8 years ago. It just seems Irwin and the Ag Department were hung out to dry by the Republicans when they took over 6 years ago. The department has many tasks and duties, but their funding has been static, and or going down for 6 years. They cannot inspect the peanut plants, poultry plants, grocery stores, other markets, meat processors and retailers, and do homeland security, weights and measures [Ag is who inspects the accuracy at gas stations] etc., etc., with an ever shrinking work-force. Most inspections can only be done once every 12 to 15 months.

One of Gary Black's quips is, "They forgot who brought them to the dance", refering to the poultry industry, which is more than 50% of the states AG GDP.

30 years ago we had 35 to 40 poultry complexes [hatchery-feedmill-processing plant] and all were owned by Georgia Companies.

Today we have 34 complexes [most are 2 to 3 times more pounds per week than what we had 30 years ago] and 6 are owned by Georgia companies.

Tyson, Pilgrims, Sanderson, Perdue, Keystone, Wayne, House of Raeford, etc. all have corporate headquarters in another state. We no longer have a networking relationship between our Ag Department; our Extension Poultry Department at UGA, and the various poultry integrators. There is just very little communication at the levels we had in the past. I fault the Ag Department and the Legislature for not working harder to lobby the major poultry companies to locate their headquarters here.angry.gif

Irwin did help with the erradication of the boll weavil though.clapping.gif

Preston Smith, state rep. from Rome, is running for AG, and he's a very good guy. '

RE: governor poll - redstate.com today links to a poll showing Handel in the lead with something like 32%, with Deal and Ox each at 18%. Johnson, et al, way on back. Arizona Gov. Janet Brewer and Sarah Palin have both endorsed Handel; Newt Gingrich has endorsed Deal (which I personally don't see as a plus, but whatever).

Oh, yeah - for SOS, I'm voting for MacGinnitie.

Magellan is new to this business, and these numbers seem skewed. The latest WSB Insider Advantage Poll ( July 5) showed :

Oxendine, 18%

Handel, 18%

Deal, 12%

Johnson, 8%

With a whopping 34% undecided.

Both polls were before the Palin Endorsement. The new WSB/IA poll will be out soon.

As for Smith, He's OK I guess. I wish that the ethics committee had been more effective, and being Sonny's floor leader really isn't a plus in my book. I'm also not really comfortable with an evangelical as Attorney General. JMO

RE: evangelicals in office - I am an evangelical Christian, and I don't care if an office-holder is an atheist lesbian flying-purple people-eater from Mars if she agrees to covern conservatively and according to the laws of the land. She supports smaller government, lower taxes, individual responsibility, etc., she's got my vote.

• Like 3

RE: evangelicals in office - I am an evangelical Christian, and I don't care if an office-holder is an atheist lesbian flying-purple people-eater from Mars if she agrees to covern conservatively and according to the laws of the land. She supports smaller government, lower taxes, individual responsibility, etc., she's got my vote.

Are you talking about Handel? I hear hear talking about things that involve spending more money, not reducing the size of government.

Surepip - When the general election comes in November, I will look at the person, not the party to vote, sorry I know this is the devil's doings, but I wil vote for the person running then, their party is not my concern, it is what they can do, what they believe in, what I think they can do. I do know that hell would freeze over before I would vote for Barnes, not because of his party, just becuase of him.

To me go by the party is bs... if there were no parties we might be in better shape today... A person should do what they promised, not a party.

Edited by cherokeewoman

Are you talking about Handel? I hear hear talking about things that involve spending more money, not reducing the size of government.

Sorry...no, I was responding to Lots to Do's post prior to mine (#12) that said he was uncomfortable with an evangelical as AG. I should have quoted his line in my response. As for Handel, IMHO, she's just the least of the 150 evils running in this race. I would prefer someone more truly dedicated to small government, but we have what we have. (The candidates who may be truly for small government have no chance statistically, and I prefer not to waste my vote.)

Surepip - When the general election comes in November, I will look at the person, not the party to vote, sorry I know this is the devil's doings, but I wil vote for the person running then, their party is not my concern, it is what they can do, what they believe in, what I think they can do. I do know that hell would freeze over before I would vote for Barnes, not because of his party, just becuase of him.

To me go by the party is bs... if there were no parties we might be in better shape today... A person should do what they promised, not a party.

Amen and amen, sister. I always vote person, not party. I mostly wind up voting Republican, but it's not because I'm so enamored of the GOP leadership.

I've gotta go with the party. Can't for for a Democrat - they just like to spend our money

I am with you CW, the party affiliation means nothing.

Depending on what happens tomorrow, I will be voting a very, very split ticket in November. I have some "D"s I intend to vote for; I have some "D"s I intend to vote against; as well as a whole covey of "R"s I will be supporting as well.

For those who are do or die party people, just remember many times you will end up with the best politician money can buy.

I've gotta go with the party. Can't vote for a Democrat - they just like to spend our money

...as they are currently proving in spades. I've yet to meet a Democrat politician I trust.And, let me clarify. Democrat politicians promise the world and target those who do not pay taxes by promising to provide entitlements paid for by those of us who do pay taxes.

Edited by PowderSpringsDad

I've gotta go with the party. Can't for for a Democrat - they just like to spend our money

I would take a good democrat over that sneaky Sonny Perdue any day.

I will give the republicans first chance to offer up someone I can stomach, but if the best they can do is Oxendine and Deal, I can do better with a democrat.

Casey Cagle might have a tough time beating out Ms. Porter for LT Governor. I going with Ms. Porter because I know how worthless Cagle is.

I will give the republicans first chance to offer up someone I can stomach, but if the best they can do is Oxendine and Deal, I can do better with a democrat.

Casey Cagle might have a tough time beating out Ms. Porter for LT Governor. I going with Ms. Porter because I know how worthless Cagle is.

Well Perdue hasn't done much, but I'd take him over a Democrat ANY day!

???? She was the only Constitutional Officer to decrease the size of her office through permanent cuts and increased efficiencies in the last 4 years. As Fulton Commission chairman she fought a $100 million shortfall through cuts, not tax increases. She is probably the only candidate that hasn't promised teachers a raise (in other words, the only one honest about the fact that we don't have the money).

I like Ms Porter as well, and she is a sharp speaker. A far cry over Casey, to say the least.

I am afraid the Repubs are going to shoot themselvesin both feet tomorrow. Never, can I remember the ugly, nasty, demeaning ads like those which have been airing on the tube. Some are downright comical.

The only valid candidates they have are way back in the pack, and I just don't see one of them coming up to the top this last day. That is going to leave old Roy a cakewalk back into office unless ALL the Repubs go out and vote against him tomorrow, and somehow I just don't see this happening.closedeyes.gifclapping.gif

???? She was the only Constitutional Officer to actually decrease the size of her office in the last 4 years.

That is true, but also must be taken with a grain of salt.

Virtually everything which a building full of "people" used to do, is now done on line. And as I recall, Cathy Cox, now at Hiawasee initiated most of the online stuff.

There should have been room to cut drastic numbers of people from the old SOS Office as they just were not needed anymore.

I like Ms Porter as well, and she is a sharp speaker. A far cry over Casey, to say the least.

I am afraid the Repubs are going to shoot themselvesin both feet tomorrow. Never, can I remember the ugly, nasty, demeaning ads like those which have been airing on the tube. Some are downright comical.

The only valid candidates they have are way back in the pack, and I just don't see one of them coming up to the top this last day. That is going to leave old Roy a cakewalk back into office unless ALL the Repubs go out and vote against him tomorrow, and somehow I just don't see this happening.

My favorite being Eric Johnson saying "LET'S GET SOMETHING STRAIGHT." I want to say, "Yeah, let's start with your eyes brother." :blink:

I'm not impressed with the Republicans in general this year. I agree there are one or two way back in the pack in the governor race, but it's wasting a vote to vote for them. Also, I'm not thrilled with Casey Cagle at all. But I got till November to mull on that one.

Any comments on the Attorney General race?

I see that one as being important as the state tries to fight off the encroachment of Washington.

I don't have a clue who would be best.

May be totally irrelevant, but King Jerry used to talk about how buddy-buddy he and Sam Olens were. That could say alot by itself.

May be totally irrelevant, but King Jerry used to talk about how buddy-buddy he and Sam Olens were. That could say alot by itself.

Looks like another irrelevant smear, so, yes, it's irrelevant.

In California there is an open primary proposal on the ballot in Nov. It is very simple, a voter is able to vote any candidate running regardless of party and the top two fight it out in the general election.

As you might guess both parties are fighting hard to defeat this one. It makes you think.....

Any comments on the Attorney General race?

I see that one as being important as the state tries to fight off the encroachment of Washington.

I don't have a clue who would be best.

SG, I googled every candidate in every race that I didn't have first hand knowledge of. The AG race being one of them.

I liked what I found on Preston Smith.

Sam Olens is trying a bit too hard to appeal to the Christians. I just don't trust someone that does that.

Apropos of nothing, but Enterprise, Alabama, has a statue of the boll weavil (on their town square, I believe it is). :D

Yes but it is no accident that it is near Tuskeegee. George Washington Carver found hundreds of great uses and products that can be made from the lowly peanut and the Boll Weevil damaging cotton crops was the impetus for the research. It's a great story. His brilliant work saved many farmers and farm lands from ruin.

Thus the monument to the Boll Weevil.

SG, I googled every candidate in every race that I didn't have first hand knowledge of. The AG race being one of them.

Sam Olens is trying a bit too hard to appeal to the Christians. I just don't trust someone that does that.

And Olens is putting a bit of a twist on the prayers at the commission meetings. They ended up having to allow an atheist to give the "Prayer" and it was quite a fiasco. It was one of those law cases where they won the battle but lost the war.

I'll take a look at him. Thanks.

And Olens is putting a bit of a twist on the prayers at the commission meetings. They ended up having to allow an atheist to give the "Prayer" and it was quite a fiasco. It was one of those law cases where they won the battle but lost the war.

Just how the hell does an atheist pray? Dear nobody................ :lol:

I'm voting for Preston Smith. I know folks in Rome who know him and say he's a straight-up guy.

Feelip - pretty funny. Yes, just how would that prayer go? "Dear nobody, ignore this because I am not speaking to you because you don't exist. Which means you can't ignore it, either, so I don't really know what the hell I'm doing up here anyway. Oh, wait - I don't believe in hell, either, since I don't believe in God. But whatever...I am so confused. Amen." :D