Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
Sadie612

nook vs kindle

Ditto! I love love love mine.... still..... :yahoo:

I agree Ipad is awesome but it is also $500 and the nook is only $150 and I have a 15% off coupon

I agree Ipad is awesome but it is also $500 and the nook is only $150 and I have a 15% off coupon

if all you need it for is reading you make a valid point! However, the IPAD can replace the GPS, the reader, the ipod, the netbook, and much more :blush: for the sole purpose of reading you have a winner!

Can you get ebooks anywhere or do you have to use ebooks "only" from Nook?? If you buy a Kindle can you use Nook ebooks and viseaversa (sp?)?

I have a Kindle and I LOVE IT! DH has one, too, and he loves it as well! We are both big readers. The Kindle can download books, newspapers, blogs, etc. wirelessly. It is very light, and the battery lasts forever. My mom has the Sony reader, and doesn't like it. I am not really sure about the Nook; I haven't ever heard of it :blush: I think the Kindle is really worth the money if you love to read.

Meant to add: not sure about the Nook, but you don't have to pay for the wireless on Kindle. It's through Sprint, and it's called "Whispernet". You can connect anywhere except on a plane.

Edited by MrsB

Meant to add: not sure about the Nook, but you don't have to pay for the wireless on Kindle. It's through Sprint, and it's called "Whispernet". You can connect anywhere except on a plane.

yeah the nook has 3g too... And it is free

My DD just told me she thinks she wants the nook instead of the Kindle.. I said the kindle has cuter accessories

I have the Kindle and could not be happier. The battery last FOREVER. Let us know what you get and how you like it.

I have heard more like the sony e-reader so far in my store but you KNOW I can't imagine a replacement for books :wub:

my DD is in love with her books but we are moving and I can not get over the many boxes of books I am dealing with.. hahaha I could open my own bookstore. I think a few of them came from your store too.

I am just trying to cut down on clutter.... clutter is on my nerves at the moment

I tried to respond earlier and apparently deleted my own post :p .

I have the Sony Reader Touch Screen. The main reason I chose it over the other types of readers is the expandable memory. It has an SD card slot, so my memory is quite literally 'limitless'. This is a very necessary option for a bibliophile like myself :). I have to add that it has NOT in any way hindered my book buying addiction (much to my husband's dismay, lol) .

I prefer the Sony to other models as well because they tend to be proprietary, you are very limited as to where you can purchase your books. Especially true with the Kindle, unfortunately. I have at least 7 online resources I use outside of the Sony store where I can purchase and download in PDF, BBeB and other formats. There are many others but the last thing I ned is another store to buy books from ;) .

I was initially interested in the iPad for the other features offered with it. I realized however that for a reading device it would not work for me because of the back-lighting issue. My eyesight is fairly poor, and reading on a computer or other type lit screen causes serious eyestrain. I have been known to sit and read for literally 7 or 8 hours at a stretch and with my Reader this is not a problem at all. The screen looks exactly like print on paper, so you need a lamp to read by if the room is poorly lit just as you would with a 'real' book :) . Couple this with the fact that I can increase the font up 5 sizes if necessary and I am in reading heaven!

I generally own a hard copy for every electronic book I purchase, btw. Because again...nothing can replace the actual physical book, imho. This is just an awesome accessory to have at your fingertips.

Rhonda

I tried to respond earlier and apparently deleted my own post :p .

I have the Sony Reader Touch Screen. The main reason I chose it over the other types of readers is the expandable memory. It has an SD card slot, so my memory is quite literally 'limitless'. This is a very necessary option for a bibliophile like myself :). I have to add that it has NOT in any way hindered my book buying addiction (much to my husband's dismay, lol) .

I prefer the Sony to other models as well because they tend to be proprietary, you are very limited as to where you can purchase your books. Especially true with the Kindle, unfortunately. I have at least 7 online resources I use outside of the Sony store where I can purchase and download in PDF, BBeB and other formats. There are many others but the last thing I ned is another store to buy books from ;) .

I was initially interested in the iPad for the other features offered with it. I realized however that for a reading device it would not work for me because of the back-lighting issue. My eyesight is fairly poor, and reading on a computer or other type lit screen causes serious eyestrain. I have been known to sit and read for literally 7 or 8 hours at a stretch and with my Reader this is not a problem at all. The screen looks exactly like print on paper, so you need a lamp to read by if the room is poorly lit just as you would with a 'real' book :) . Couple this with the fact that I can increase the font up 5 sizes if necessary and I am in reading heaven!

I generally own a hard copy for every electronic book I purchase, btw. Because again...nothing can replace the actual physical book, imho. This is just an awesome accessory to have at your fingertips.

Rhonda

I got her the nook a few days ago... she was happy. I got the 3G nook for $149... which is a good good good price

I got her the nook a few days ago... she was happy. I got the 3G nook for $149... which is a good good good price

Yes, that is a very good price. If I did not have the Sony I would have gone with the Nook. It actually was not available when I purchased my Sony. I hope she enjoys it... I know she will :) .

I have been researching this as well. I want to get one for my daughter (Sorry Bookworm.....she is in YOUR store all the time spending money!! Guess that will stop). It seems the Kindle got much better reviews on the websites I looked at. I won't be getting her one until Christmas, so I still have a few months to research!

My mother has a Kindle and LOVES IT. It is proprietary in that you can't read Kindle books on other readers, but you can read other stuff on Kindle. I can tell they're still working through the bugs, but they have downloaded some seriously improving updates lately that have made us happier. The best thing about the Kindle to me is the convenience when traveling or sitting somewhere. I've downloaded over 1000 free books for Mother, many of them current bestsellers that Amazon had in their free section for a few days (which they do often).

I totally agree with the book lovers...NOTHING can replace a real book. I still remember going to the library when I was a child and getting lost (mentally and emotionally) in the stacks and loving the musty smell and the fascinating books. My idea of heaven is a slightly cool, rainy day sitting in front of a crackling fireplace curled up with an afghan and a good book. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh...

Amazon had a some refurbished Kindles for $109 a few days ago, they were all quickly snatched up though.

I have a kindle and my wife has a nook, I don't really have a preference for one over the other they both seem to have about the same features.

I'm guessing right before Christmas there will be another slight price drop.