Paulding.com

Outer Banks of NC

Anyone been to the Outer Banks of North Carolina? What are the must see/do and amazing restaurants?? Any info would be appreciated :)

Yes, we just got back. Depends on what you enjoy. There are several lighthouses you can visit, a ferry, wartersports, you can rent ATV's, Jeeps, etc., there is an aquarium and several all you can eat seafood buffets that gather HUGE lines...people will wait in line for 2 hrs to get in!

its very isolated and natural, Be prepared to rent a place up to a year in advance!

Some places book up very quickly, but I've seen many placed still available, even for this summer...due to the economy.

If you stay around Kill Devil Hills, Kitty Hawk, it is pretty commercial, but some of the more southern areas are even accissible by 4 WD...but those are actually few and far between....I wouldn't consider it "remote".

I have never been, but my husband pretty much grew up there. His summers were spent there every year since he was raised not far from there.

But, all he has ever talked about is how great the fishing is!

Edited by MrsB

Some places book up very quickly, but I've seen many placed still available, even for this summer...due to the economy.

If you stay around Kill Devil Hills, Kitty Hawk, it is pretty commercial, but some of the more southern areas are even accissible by 4 WD...but those are actually few and far between....I wouldn't consider it "remote".

We are planning on staying in Nags Head. Thoughts on that area??

That is a must do trip!

I love the Outer Banks. We went several years ago.

The first night we stayed in a B&B on Roanoake Island.........

headed out to the top of the island the next day at Corolla where Carrituck Lightouse is, worked our way down to Kill Devil Hills and Kitty Hawk.

We saw Bodie Island lighthouse, Bald Head, Cape Lookout and of course Cape Hatteras, the tallest lightouse in North America with 268 steps. We climbed every lighthouse that was open and I only wish I could have seen Hatteras before they moved it back from the Ocean. It's still a beautiful lighthouse with all of the out buildings.

Then we took a ferry ride to Ocracoke Island (Ocracoke Lighthouse) and stayed overnight, took a ferry to Cedar Island and saw Diamond Head lighthouse, took another ferry and worked our way down to Wilmington, ending up on Ocean Isle at a beautiful place and rested for a few days on the beach before we came home.

It was an adventure and a wonderful trip.

If you go, be sure to get pictures of the ponies (they are statues) that are hand painted and close to the street in each of the little towns on the Outer Banks. There are wild ponys on the Outer Banks.

They have wild ponys on Ocracoke Island as well.

Have a great time!

But, all he has ever talked about is how great the fishing is!

It may be, but last week when we were there we only caught (and most of the others fishing from the pier) skates, which are not suitable for eating (they look like stingrays).

One of the guys who attends the church I work for is from Kill Devil Hills and he works in a restaurant there called Chili Peppers. Incidentally, he attends college in Charlotte during the year at a culinary institute. They have .10 shrimp and .25 wings for happy hour...or at least they did when we were there last week.

That is a must do trip!

If you go, be sure to get pictures of the ponies that are painted and close to the street in each of the little towns on the Outer Banks. There are wild ponys on the Outer Banks.

They have wild ponys on Ocracoke Island as well.

Have a great time!

ok, lowrider, I'm sure you know I'm a good little girl, but I almost got arrested on the beach for taking pictures of the wild ponies because the officer said that I was holding up traffic (I wasn't the driver in our vehicle, and had stepped out while the person driving kept moving). I was determined to get my picture though, and I did...and fortunately did not get arrested, but I thought you'd get a little snicker out of that story.

ok, lowrider, I'm sure you know I'm a good little girl, but I almost got arrested on the beach for taking pictures of the wild ponies because the officer said that I was holding up traffic (I wasn't the driver in our vehicle, and had stepped out while the person driving kept moving). I was determined to get my picture though, and I did...and fortunately did not get arrested, but I thought you'd get a little snicker out of that story.

:lol: I'm glad you got your pictures. I got some pictures of the real pony's when we got to Ocracoke.

I guess I should have been clearer, the ones on the streets are statues that are all hand painted and each one is different. You will see them all the way up the island and coming back down. I only wish I had taken more pictures of them..

We are planning on staying in Nags Head. Thoughts on that area??

I really like Nags Head, but it is a little further south than my friend that we meet prefer to stay since they come in from Virginia. Really all of the outer banks are beautiful...you can't go wrong, and within 10-20 miles, there are tons of different towns to visit and things to do. The further south on the banks you get, it seems to become more isolated (in my option), whereas the more northern towns have more touristy shops on the "strip". The lighthouses range..some north and some south and the ferry is further to the south. Lowrider included info all the way further down the coastline than I normally associate with the Outer Banks, but I am sure it is all beautfiul.

If you ar e a reader, you should check out some of Nicholas Sparks' books (fiction, but loosely based on true stories from his life and those around him) and most all of them take place in the Outer Banks of NC.

Rated I think as 10th in the world for seashores....600 miles puts you there..Ocracoke for a week, with sidewalks going up at 5pm with peace...would visit in a minute, plan to go again in the future....

I love the Outer Banks! I have a good friend who lives in Buxton. The light from the Cape Hatteras lighthouse comes right over her house. Her husband is a fisherman. When we get out there, she takes out on the beach and we spend the whole day and late into the night out there. Just us and the waves and sky. We can spend all day out there and only see one or two other groups as they drive by. And of course, if anyone wants to go fishing, we have someone who can take us. We absolutely love it. Now, that area is not as touristy as Nags Head. So, we do a lot of nothing. Nags Head has more restaurants and museums and such. Have fun. It is beautiful!

Thanks everyone! We fly out next week! We decided on Nags Head and are staying at the Oasis Suites. Very excited :D!

O My Gosh! That place is gorgeous!

Have a great time and do some sight-seeing!!

O My Gosh! That place is gorgeous!

Have a great time and do some sight-seeing!!

Thank you!! We plan to enjoy all the natural beauty that will surround us! I appreciate all the info that you had to offer~

We plan on going Thanksgiving for a Family reunion. It's just now getting in the works. My brother used to go pretty regular, so he knows a bit about it. We are looking into condos. The price seems to range a lot. Please let me know how it was, and any recommendations you may have. Have a great time!

It may be, but last week when we were there we only caught (and most of the others fishing from the pier) skates, which are not suitable for eating (they look like stingrays).

One of the guys who attends the church I work for is from Kill Devil Hills and he works in a restaurant there called Chili Peppers. Incidentally, he attends college in Charlotte during the year at a culinary institute. They have .10 shrimp and .25 wings for happy hour...or at least they did when we were there last week.

Thanks for the info on Chili Peppers. We'll check it out when we're there!

we will be leaving soon for a week in Kitty Hawk. So much to do...The Wright brothers museum is a must...the lost colony is pretty cool too. Be prepared for much cooler water at Kitty Hawk as it is on the northern currents....about 10 degrees cooler!

I plan on going to the Oceanic Museum this time....more ship wrecks off the coast of the Outer Banks than any other in America. The dunes at Kill devil Hills are awesome...go in the am as it gets really hot on the sand.

Food? the Black Pelican is known for its coconut shrimp!