Paulding.com

What no thread about the DA's race?

Actually, I wasn't specific about the case, but replied only to the slanderous remarks. The particulars of the case are a matter of public record, and I have divulged nothing of any client confidences, about which I am always very careful, as all lawyers should be.

As to why i moved my office to Douglasville, a very good friend, with whom I attended law school (he went to law school after he retired from 30 years in the army) sold me the office building he owned in downtown Douglasville for the same price he paid for it - ten dollars, and take up the note. Turns out the building had belonged to great uncles and cousins of my wife's (Judge A. Lafayette Bartlett, Ruth Bartlett Hudgins) I was able to move my office there while maintaining my practice in Cobb, Paulding and Douglas. It doesn't matter where the office is if what you need me for is to go to court with you. I live, of course, in Paulding, and drive to whichever court in which I am to appear that morning.

As to specifics about myself, check the website: DonovanforDA.com - it's all there.

D. Donovan

Check the local access channel on Comcast (16) - our "debate" from two weeks ago is on there.

It is also running right here on p.com Fastread page. Has been for some time.smile.gif If I am not mistaken, it was the Debate sponsored by the Chamber of Commerce of Paulding held on June 15 at the Dallas Theater.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm not retiring anytime soon (read "never") because after about six months ennui would set in and I'd be a basket case; I am a borderline workaholic. Also, I have no interest in a judge's position. I

Settles it for me... If he's got guts enough to come on here and face down the PCOM jackals he sounds like the man for the job. I'm not as interested in having a 'nice guy'- or the current seat warmer

I am a female who has used Mr. Donovan and was recommended by a female to use Mr. Donovan. We have found Mr. Donovan very professional and an excellent attorney. He provides realistic advise and isn

It is also running right here on p.com Fastread page. Has been for some time.smile.gif If I am not mistaken, it was the Debate sponsored by the Chamber of Commerce of Paulding held on June 15 at the Dallas Theater.

Thanks NJ! I never go to the fastread page! :ninja: Off to watch.

Edit after watch:

While I appreciate the forum that was held to introduce candidates to us it was not a debate. One different random question was nice, but not what I was hoping for. I am still not sure between two candidates on my vote. :wacko:

Edited by bellaprincess

Thanks NJ!!! You're the best!!!

Thanks NJ! I never go to the fastread page! ninja.gif Off to watch.

Edit after watch:

While I appreciate the forum that was held to introduce candidates to us it was not a debate. One different random question was nice, but not what I was hoping for. I am still not sure between two candidates on my vote. wacko.gif

That one was geared to business questions and they did a great job of working so many folks into one evening. Hard to do. Maybe we could get our friend Joe to moderate one and get the DA candidates to come out. I wonder how many folks would actually come? Voting has been going on for some time too and if you add the Holiday it might not be workable or very helpful. The Primary is on the 20th.

My opinion:

If Drew Lane has not been able to get things together in the DA's office since James Osborne was moved to Superior Court Judge, there is no hope for his numbers to get any better. If you are DA, YOU run your office, don't whine that the failures in your office aren't your fault. There have been way too many cases dead docketed (not brought to trial in time for convictions) for my comfort and it seems we've heard more crickets in criminal court than actual cases. Also, I believe he sat second seat in the Silver Comet case, which meant he had to be coached the entire way through that case because he couldn't actually try it (Pubby can probably check on that for clarification).

Dick Donovan is 64. He is either going to retire too soon to get things squared away in our DA's office or he really has his sights set on a Judge position; either way, he's not going to commit to Paulding County for long enough to get my vote. Also, isn't he a Defense Attorney and hasn't he mostly received support by Defense Attorney's in Cobb County? Is that like taking money from the enemy? Probably not, but that's how it seems. Much too pompous for me.

Plumley looks like the lesser of all evils in this race. But again, this is just my opinion. The fact that he manages liquor licences seems so random to be placed in this thread I'm still scratching my head over that comment. Hopefully Hee Haw has some type of point he can clarify for us otherwise I'm going to think his name implies that he is a jack*** :blink:

Just trying to figure out if it is the same guy whose name I heard on TV, and if so, where his qualifications come from...... A year's time as a part-timer in the most liberal magistrate's court in the country and an in-depth knowledge of the local liquor laws just don't seem to be what I'd be looking for in a DA. Not saying that any of the choices are great, but I can't recall anything good from ever choosing from the lesser of evils. Is that jack*** enough for you? :lol:

That one was geared to business questions and they did a great job of working so many folks into one evening. Hard to do. Maybe we could get our friend Joe to moderate one and get the DA candidates to come out. I wonder how many folks would actually come? Voting has been going on for some time too and if you add the Holiday it might not be workable or very helpful. The Primary is on the 20th.

You are right it probably would not be workable to set up a public debate at this point.:(

I am not sure of how many have actually voted yet, most of my friends are about where I am with District 19 and DA. We are just not too sure. It is actually the one time we have all agreed that these are important decisions and should not be eeny meeny miney moe at the ballot box! :) I think many just get lackadaisical about it and this time the climate we are living in is so different they realize how important politics really are, and I am just not getting worked up over nothing! :rofl:

Just trying to figure out if it is the same guy whose name I heard on TV, and if so, where his qualifications come from...... A year's time as a part-timer in the most liberal magistrate's court in the country and an in-depth knowledge of the local liquor laws just don't seem to be what I'd be looking for in a DA. Not saying that any of the choices are great, but I can't recall anything good from ever choosing from the lesser of evils. Is that jack*** enough for you? :lol:

Yes, in that I was right on my first impression of you. It also goes to show you don't know anything about Chad Plumley <_< or for that matter anything about "in-depth knowledge of local liquor" haha....that statement cracks me up :rofl:

Yes, in that I was right on my first impression of you. It also goes to show you don't know anything about Chad Plumley <_< or for that matter anything about "in-depth knowledge of local liquor" haha....that statement cracks me up :rofl:

I know quite a few people who have "in-depth knowledge of local liquor" :ninja:

• Like 1

My opinion:

If Drew Lane has not been able to get things together in the DA's office since James Osborne was moved to Superior Court Judge, there is no hope for his numbers to get any better. If you are DA, YOU run your office, don't whine that the failures in your office aren't your fault. There have been way too many cases dead docketed (not brought to trial in time for convictions) for my comfort and it seems we've heard more crickets in criminal court than actual cases. Also, I believe he sat second seat in the Silver Comet case, which meant he had to be coached the entire way through that case because he couldn't actually try it (Pubby can probably check on that for clarification).

Dick Donovan is 64. He is either going to retire too soon to get things squared away in our DA's office or he really has his sights set on a Judge position; either way, he's not going to commit to Paulding County for long enough to get my vote. Also, isn't he a Defense Attorney and hasn't he mostly received support by Defense Attorney's in Cobb County? Is that like taking money from the enemy? Probably not, but that's how it seems. Much too pompous for me.

Plumley looks like the lesser of all evils in this race. But again, this is just my opinion. The fact that he manages liquor licences seems so random to be placed in this thread I'm still scratching my head over that comment. Hopefully Hee Haw has some type of point he can clarify for us otherwise I'm going to think his name implies that he is a jack*** :blink:

I'm not retiring anytime soon (read "never") because after about six months ennui would set in and I'd be a basket case; I am a borderline workaholic. Also, I have no interest in a judge's position. I've sat as Special Master and referee and Hearing officer enough to know that the last thing I want is to have to go to work every day and sit on the bench. It's intense but it can be terribly monotonous. I'm a trial lawyer. Judge Cummings asked me to apply for the new judge's position in 2002 and I did, and was nominated, but I've been thankful many times since that I did not get the appointment. If the people of this county are kind enough to elect me DA, I'll serve as long as they let me, because I want to make this a better place to live for you and me and everyone else, and I know that I can do that because of my life's experience. If that sounds like grandstanding, sorry. It's just the way I feel. You don't want to vote for me? Fine - but vote for someone else because you think he's more qualified - not because you don't like my looks (and I ain't pretty) or my attitude (and I can be cranky, but I'm loyal to my friends and clients). I can be ugly as sin (make up your own joke) and have a really unlikeable attitude, and still be a really great District Attorney. It's my management skills and courtroom knowledge that make the difference.

To straighten out a post from Pubby a few days ago, Bill Foster served as DA from about '77 when his law partner Art Fudger was appointed judge to replace Harold Murphy who was appointed to the federal bench. Bill served until 1992 when he was appointed to a new judgeship in the Tallapoosa Circuit. George Turner was appointed to serve out his unexpired term as DA, then Osborne ran and was elected DA in 1994, and served until he was appointed judge in 2005 when Foster retired from the bench.

Oh, and by the way, Magistrate Judges in counties of less than 100,000 do NOT have to have anything more than a GED or high school diploma. Probate judges the same. They do have to complete training annually to keep their jobs. When we get over 100,000, we'll have to do that, too - but incumbents will be grandfathered in (Judge Anderson, e.g.).

Dick Donovan

Edited by deadeye
  • Like 12

I'm not retiring anytime soon (read "never") because after about six months ennui would set in and I'd be a basket case; I am a borderline workaholic. Also, I have no interest in a judge's position. I've sat as Special Master and referee and Hearing officer enough to know that the last thing I want is to have to go to work every day and sit on the bench. It's intense but it can be terribly monotonous. I'm a trial lawyer. Judge Cummings asked me to apply for the new judge's position in 2002 and I did, and was nominated, but I've been thankful many times since that I did not get the appointment. If the people of this county are kind enough to elect me DA, I'll serve as long as they let me, because I want to make this a better place to live for you and me and everyone else, and I know that I can do that because of my life's experience. If that sounds like grandstanding, sorry. It's just the way I feel. You don't want to vote for me? Fine - but vote for someone else because you think he's more qualified - not because you don't like my looks (and I ain't pretty) or my attitude (and I can be cranky, but I'm loyal to my friends and clients). I can be ugly as sin (make up your own joke) and have a really unlikeable attitude, and still be a really great District Attorney. It's my management skills and courtroom knowledge that make the difference.

To straighten out a post from Pubby a few days ago, Bill Foster served as DA from about '77 when his law partner Art Fudger was appointed judge to replace Harold Murphy who was appointed to the federal bench. Bill served until 1992 when he was appointed to a new judgeship in the Tallapoosa Circuit. George Turner was appointed to serve out his unexpired term as DA, then Osborne ran and was elected DA in 1994, and served until he was appointed judge in 2005 when Foster retired from the bench.

Oh, and by the way, Magistrate Judges in counties of less than 100,000 do NOT have to have anything more than a GED or high school diploma. Probate judges the same. They do have to complete training annually to keep their jobs. When we get over 100,000, we'll have to do that, too - but incumbents will be grandfathered in (Judge Anderson, e.g.).

Dick Donovan

Now why did y'all negatively rate this post? Other posts, absolutely, but this post was strictly informational and answering a voter's concern. Fair is fair. I gave you one back Deadeye.

• Like 4

Dick Donovan

Settles it for me... If he's got guts enough to come on here and face down the PCOM jackals he sounds like the man for the job. I'm not as interested in having a 'nice guy'- or the current seat warmer- as the DA as I am in having a tough go-getter. The DA prosecutes felony cases- rapists, robbers, murderers, child molesters, habitual criminals who are a danger to our society..... I want a tough- and sometimes cranky- DA with experience in the courtroom and on the street. I'm fine with seeing the incumbent move along and letting the other guy work on my will or Sunday pouring permit.

• Like 4

Now why did y'all negatively rate this post? Other posts, absolutely, but this post was strictly informational and answering a voter's concern. Fair is fair. I gave you one back Deadeye.

Probably for the same reason yours was.

Silliness.

(Written by my husband) Let me take a minute to say a few things about Dick Donovan. I have known Dick for 7 years. He has represented me on 3 seperate occasions, all of which had to do with child custody issues and a messy divorce. As a lawyer for me he's been flawless, things have been in my favor, and the proceedings played out exactly as he said they would. Dick Donovan knows the law and he has protected my family without fail. Dick isn't interested in lining his pockets and quite simply some cases just aren't winnable. I charge anyone to find a lawyer that hasn't had a couple of unsatisfied clients who lost their cases.

But one thing is absolutely certain, Dick has the knowledge, work ethic, and determination we need in the D.A.'s office. Drew Lane's back log of cases is astronomically high and the quality of some of the A.D.A.'s he has working in that office, well, leaves a lot to be desired. I have been a law enforcement officer on local, state, and federal levels here in Georgia for the past 15 years. I have met more than my fair share of shifty and untrustworthy characters both on the street and in the courtroom. Mr. Donovan can be counted on to instill confidence in the residents of Paulding County because he won't just go for a high quantity conviction rate, he'll get an equally high quality conviction rate unlike so many others in the past. I say this because Dick has years of experience from being a police officer himself and he's seen the effects violent crimes have on both their victims and the community.

Putting thugs behind bars is one thing, keeping them there and stopping the current revolving door is another. Donovan has the knowledge, skills, and ability to do both. We deserve his service.

• Like 2

Am I seeing a pattern here? Seems the guy is happy and the gals are unhappy. Just an observation.

Interesting observation. He was recommended to me by a male who still insists that he's an awesome attorney, so add that to your tally sheet.

I understand that over a career you aren't going to make EVERYONE happy, but how many people are going to have to speak up before it quits being a fluke?

• Like 1

Okay, now I have heard from someone whose opinion I value very highly!!

You guys keep striking down the good things I thought I knew!!! laugh.gif Does anybody have some things they think are good about any of these guys?

Just wanted to comment on Dick Donovan. He was my lawyer in a custody case and he was great. He is one of the most honest lawyers I have ever met. He did exactly what he said he would do. When it came time to argue the case in front of the judge, he was pretty impressive. He won my case and now I have my daughters back home with me. As a single dad in Paulding County, I thought that would be impossible, but he did it.

Just a thought about the DA race. We all are seeing the results of what can happen when people vote for the nice looking guy or the guy everyone seems to think is nice. Look what that did for us in the Presidential race. Now we are stuck with this clown for a president that people thought was so nice looking and a good speaker. Well I would rather have someone with experience and the confidence to do the job he was hired to do. I'm tired of seeing these pushovers get the position just because they say what you need to hear just to get your vote. I will be voting for Dick Donovan for DA . He's a bulldog and thats what we need.

Just wanted to comment on Dick Donovan. He was my lawyer in a custody case and he was great. He is one of the most honest lawyers I have ever met. He did exactly what he said he would do. When it came time to argue the case in front of the judge, he was pretty impressive. He won my case and now I have my daughters back home with me. As a single dad in Paulding County, I thought that would be impossible, but he did it.

Okay, now we have three males that were totally satisfied with Double D and three females that think he sucked. Anyone else willing to add their experience to this non-scientific study?

I have personally seen Drew in action as well as his ADAs - not impressed. Figures why our DA's office is in such a mess.

I have personally seen Donovan in action. Very impressed. His knowledge of the law, his conduct in the courtroom, his organizational skills - all should be something that the ADAs are taught. I actually felt sorry for the ADA that I saw up against Donovan in one case.

So, Donovan will be gettin my vote.

Edited by Georgia Dawg

Interesting that all of Donovan's supporters have come out in mass.

One is a new profile and the other is someone with 3 posts.....hmmm.....

Why do you find it interesting? Just showing support for the candidate who is right for the job.

Nothing nefarious going on here.

I registered back in 2006 before the last election and have basically been lurking.

-Funk

Interesting observation. He was recommended to me by a male who still insists that he's an awesome attorney, so add that to your tally sheet.

I understand that over a career you aren't going to make EVERYONE happy, but how many people are going to have to speak up before it quits being a fluke?

I am a female who has used Mr. Donovan and was recommended by a female to use Mr. Donovan. We have found Mr. Donovan very professional and an excellent attorney. He provides realistic advise and isn't afraid to go up against someone when the odds aren't necessarily in his favor. Our situatin was one of an underdog but Mr. Donovan did not hesitate to work hard for us and in the end he won our case. We could not have been more pleased with his services and I feel he is the only option for DA. I've watched the debates and have read a lot of the postings in this forum and I still do not waiver on my opinion of Mr. Donovan nor my opinion that he would make an excellent DA. He has been in law enforcement and he has proven record of winning cases in the courtroom. No attorney is able to win all their cases and not every attorney will be able to please 100% of their clients but we have full faith and confidence in Mr. Donovan as and attorney and would recommend him to anyone seeking legal advise or needing legal counsel. I think he would make an excellent DA.

• Like 3

I had to ask one of my family members why she had Drew Lane signs in her yard. It's not that she likes Drew, it's that she was screwed over by Donovan. So that is one more female that doesn't like Dick (no pun intended). I voted against Drew Lane last time, but I am REALLY undecided this time. The young guy is out. I might have to vote for Drew Lane.

• Like 1

I had to ask one of my family members why she had Drew Lane signs in her yard. It's not that she likes Drew, it's that she was screwed over by Donovan. So that is one more female that doesn't like Dick (no pun intended). I voted against Drew Lane last time, but I am REALLY undecided this time. The young guy is out. I might have to vote for Drew Lane.

3 newbies have posted in favor of Mr. Donovan---in this thread and another. They're going to skew your results.

I know die-hard Dems who are crossing over in this primary (since you can in GA) because they are unsatisfied with Donovan.

I guess he's one of those guys that you either love, hate, or love to hate.

Can't "anyone" be a judge in Magistrate court? I thought the requirements were to live in county and have a high school diploma?

Damn, maybe that is my calling.

Not sure, but I do know we have a magistrate judge that speaks Spanish fluently. :)

Do not get me started on that one.

Settles it for me... If he's got guts enough to come on here and face down the PCOM jackals he sounds like the man for the job.

I wonder how many p.com jackals he will get to prosecute if he wins :lol:

Okay, now we have three males that were totally satisfied with Double D and three females that think he sucked. Anyone else willing to add their experience to this non-scientific study?

Wow :o

Going to be a tough one. I have seen Drew in action and I am sorry no way I could vote for him. I sat on a jury and he did not win the case the other guy lost it. His client was guilty as hell and did not even try to deny it.

Going to be a tough one. I have seen Drew in action and I am sorry no way I could vote for him. I sat on a jury and he did not win the case the other guy lost it. His client was guilty as hell and did not even try to deny it.

I have had first hand experience with Mr. Lane when he prosecuted Rodney Clarke - he hit my son head on - Rodney's six year old son was killed. I was unimpressed. Of the choices, if I lived in Paulding, I would support Mr. Donovan.

• Like 1

The DA candidates will be speaking at this Saturday's Republican Party Meeting. The meeting starts at 9am. Refreshments are served, so if you want to come a little early and chat with the candidates feel free to do so.

This is at the GOP Headquarters off 278 at Seaboard Drive.

I have had first hand experience with Mr. Lane when he prosecuted Rodney Clarke - he hit my son head on - Rodney's six year old son was killed. I was unimpressed. Of the choices, if I lived in Paulding, I would support Mr. Donovan.

How sad. He prosecuted the guy whose son died? Was it a DUI?

Long story - my son was a victim. Mr Clark was driving recklessly and caused the collision.

That involved passing on Dabbs Bridge Road as I recall didn't it?

Has your son recovered from that OK?

Yes, Clark passed going westbound on Dabbs Bridge and passed in a corner ignoring the double line. He was going well above the speed limit when he struck my son's Explorer head on.

And, thanks for asking. My son and his girlfriend were OK - just a few scratches.

Son's truck:

ExplorerinJunkYard3.jpg

Clark's car:

TheOtherCar.jpg

Edited by PowderSpringsDad

Yes, Clark passed going westbound on Dabbs Bridge and passed in a corner ignoring the double line. He was going well above the speed limit when he struck my son's Explorer head on.

And, thanks for asking. My son and his girlfriend were OK - just a few scratches.

Wow! Glad he's okay. That's sad about the child. Was there drinking involved or just stupidity?

Wow! Glad he's okay. That's sad about the child. Was there drinking involved or just stupidity?

I don't know for sure about drinking or drugs, but recklessness, disregard for human life, stupidity and the possibility that he was fighting with his girlfriend are all factors.