Paulding.com

Quick Tip from Metro Atlanta Landscape (Formally Harbor Bay Landscaping)

Many homeowners use pine straw for plant and flower beds because it is usually less expensive at first. Mulch is really the better option and can save money over time because it doesn’t need to be replaced as often. Here are some other reasons to choose mulch:

- Mulch retains more water than pine straw so that you don’t have to water plants, flowers and trees as often. Mulch also keeps the ground cooler, so that less water evaporates.

- Mulch helps keep soil in place and prevents it from washing away.

- Mulch is better at preventing weeds than pine straw. This makes mulch more environmentally friendly because less weed-preventing chemicals are needed.

- Mulch comes in different types of materials (including organic) and different colors, giving homeowners a lot of options.

If you’re thinking about using mulch, give us a call and we can help you get started.

I Love my mulch!!!! It is so much better than pinestraw. I had pinestraw for 1 yr and had to change. It looked very sloppy when compared to mulch. I have the mulch made out of recycled tires. Now I can say I'm being GREEN!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

I've always used mulch.

I remember back in the 90's I would take the truck over to the old Cobb County land field, and you could pull up in this huge barn and they would dump mulch in the back of your pickup. Those were the days. It was free.

Now I buy it by the dump truck load from that place on Hwy. 92 in Hiram.

What I CAN NOT understand is when people plant something new, they never water it and then wonder why it died. I can't believe people can be so stupid.

I've watched my neighbor do it for 2 years in a row, and I tell him you have to water them, but he doesn't have the time.

I just hate to see anything die.

We use pine straw in the garden and in areas that we will turn over every year, tilled into the soil pine straw actually helps loosen the clay soil and increases the PH. Mulch is great for areas that you want to plant and leave undisturbed. Thanks Metro Atlanta Landscape. :)

I've always used mulch.

I remember back in the 90's I would take the truck over to the old Cobb County land field, and you could pull up in this huge barn and they would dump mulch in the back of your pickup. Those were the days. It was free.

Now I buy it by the dump truck load from that place on Hwy. 92 in Hiram.

What I CAN NOT understand is when people plant something new, they never water it and then wonder why it died. I can't believe people can be so stupid.

I've watched my neighbor do it for 2 years in a row, and I tell him you have to water them, but he doesn't have the time.

I just hate to see anything die.

You would be surprised at how many people don't quite grasp this concept! I guess most don't realize that new plants need A LOT of water until they get established.

We have a lot of trees so leaves completely cover the islands in the fall. We use the leaves as mulch and cover with new pine straw after they fall. Would you suggest using mulch in our situation?

We have a lot of trees so leaves completely cover the islands in the fall. We use the leaves as mulch and cover with new pine straw after they fall. Would you suggest using mulch in our situation?

Yes, I would definitely recommend using mulch as opposed to the pine straw on top of the dead leaves. Way to recycle, though! :good:

Do you need to use pine straw next to the house or is mulch ok? In reference to termites. TIA

After 16+ years of landscaping, I've never found termites to be a problem with mulch. As long as your termite treatment is current, it's certainly not a problem. Plus, termites like bigger pieces of wood to eat. Little scraps of mulch don't make much of a snack for them. :D

I've actually found that leaves, especially a lot of them can actually keep water from getting to the ground. Yeah, they get wet, but it takes years for them to rot and degrade.

I've always removed the leaves from my yard and around my bushes and trees and flowers. Then mulch.

Just my thoughts on it.

:)

• 2 weeks later...

I've actually found that leaves, especially a lot of them can actually keep water from getting to the ground. Yeah, they get wet, but it takes years for them to rot and degrade.

I've always removed the leaves from my yard and around my bushes and trees and flowers. Then mulch.

Just my thoughts on it.

:)

Very true. :good: One thing leaves are good for is your compost pile. The other elements you mix into it help break down the leaves and turn the whole mixture into rich soil for planting.