Paulding.com

Lets see if things have changed - Election poll

152 members have voted

1. 1. Voters are being asked to renew the SPLOST (one cent sales tax). How are you leaning?

• Favor renewal of the SPLOST
    • Reject renewal of the SPLOST
    • Undecided
  2. 2. Do you plan to vote in the Republican or Democratic Primary?

• I plan to vote in the Republican Primary
    • I plan to vote in the Democratic Primary
  3. 3. Republican primary voters, who do you support for the GOP Nomination for District 19 House Seat?

• Daniel Stout (I)
    • Paulette Rakestraw Braddock
    • Steve R. Golden
    • Undecided
    • NA: not able to or will not vote in this contest
  4. 4. Republican primary voters will choose the next District Attorney. Who do you support for this office

• Chad Plumley
    • Drew Lane (I)
    • Dick Donovan
    • Undecided
  5. 5. Republican Primary voters within the various districts will choose the next Post 2 commissioner. Who do you support?

• Todd Pownall
    • Adam Gregory
    • Beverly Cochran
    • Undecided
  6. 6. Republican Primary voters within the various districts will choose the next Post 3 commissioner. Who do you support?

• Tommie Graham (I)
    • H.V. Collett II
    • Undecided
  7. 7. Republican Primary voters within the various districts will choose the next Post 4 commissioner. Who do you support?

• Jason Anavitarte
    • David Barnett
    • Earl Cosgrove
    • Tony Crowe
    • Undecided
  8. 8. Overall, are you happy with the candidates running in the Republican primary?

• Yes, there is at least one good choice in each ra
    • Yes, there are several races with two or more good candidates
    • No - Some races have good candidates but in others, none are really great.
    • No, the choices are dismal
    • I don't know the candidates well enough to know if they're good.

This is a repeat of the site political poll that we ran for the past month.

We'll see if the campaigns have reduced the number of undecided candidates in races like the DA's contest or the post races.

We added one question - how satisfied you are with the choices available. Thought it might be interesting to ask.

I'll do a little analysis on the original poll and post it for comparison or you can do that yourself here: http://paulding.com/forum/index.php?/topic/245256-lets-see-how-the-election-is-looking/

pubby

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Regan Republican   Since you were smart enough to post your name on a public web site Tom, And you want to belittle certain posters, I have a couple of questions to ask you?   A review of the tax

I see your point. My understanding is that the East Hiram Parkway is fully funded and some of the properties have been purchased.   I would prefer to vote on the SPLOST after the BOC has been elect

Why don't you just make it easy for all the pedophiles. Post a google map link to my house, then another one to my work, then tell everyone how many children I have at home. Jackass.

Wouldn't you last question need a; " N/A voting in the democratic primary?" I was just asking cause, at this point, you have 3 people that answered that for the others, yet also answered the last question. That to me would throw off the figures of if people were happy with the republican choices or not. (I would think all democrats would say no, or do not know them enough. That is what is showing as of now)

I voted AGAINST renewal of the SPLOST. Why would folks vote themselves a tax hike, just to see our incompetent school officials throw the money out the window?

Shall a special one percent (1%) sales and use

tax be imposed in the special district of

Paulding County for a period of time not to

exceed six (6) years and for the raising of an

estimated amount of $ 20,622,904.00 for The

Public Safety Facilities Capital Outlay Projects;

for the raising of an estimated amount of $

53,102,948.00 for The Road, Street and Bridge

Capital Outlay Projects; for raising of an

estimated amount of $ 20,114,920.00 for The

Recreational Facilities Capital Outlay Projects;

1,159,228.00 for The Economic Development

Fiber Optic Communications Capital Outlay

Projects; which funds are to be shared under a

distribution formula as agreed to by Paulding

County, City of Dallas, and City of Hiram

pursuant to intergovernmental agreements

regarding these projects?

This SPLOST has nothing to do with the school.

Shall a special one percent (1%) sales and use

tax be imposed in the special district of

Paulding County for a period of time not to

exceed six (6) years and for the raising of an

estimated amount of $ 20,622,904.00 for The

Public Safety Facilities Capital Outlay Projects;

53,102,948.00 for The Road, Street and Bridge

Capital Outlay Projects; for raising of an

estimated amount of $ 20,114,920.00 for The

Recreational Facilities Capital Outlay Projects;

1,159,228.00 for The Economic Development

Fiber Optic Communications Capital Outlay

Projects; which funds are to be shared under a

distribution formula as agreed to by Paulding

County, City of Dallas, and City of Hiram

pursuant to intergovernmental agreements

regarding these projects?

This SPLOST has nothing to do with the school.

Whoops. Sorry Angel Eyes, I think you were confused about what this tax was meant to do. :huh:

It's actually not an increase, it's a renewal of a tax we have approved in prior years. So if it doesn't pass, we risk losing some public servant workers, i.e.; policemen, firemen, etc and it also covers roads and bridges. I'm not thrilled about the "Recreational Facilities outlay" but I guess we need to keep the ball parks and soccer fields in good condition. Looks like more kids will be using them now that we have eliminated Middle School sports. ;)

Ummmm OK. Why would anyone vote themselves a tax hike so the incompetent crooked local GOVERNMENT officials can line their pockets and can throw money out the window?

Edited by Angel Eyes

Ummmm OK. Why would anyone vote themselves a tax hike so the incompetent crooked local GOVERNMENT officials can line their pockets and can throw money out the window?

LOL, now you have the idea!! :drinks: But it's really not a hike, just a continuation of what we've already had.

Wouldn't you last question need a; " N/A voting in the democratic primary?" I was just asking cause, at this point, you have 3 people that answered that for the others, yet also answered the last question. That to me would throw off the figures of if people were happy with the republican choices or not. (I would think all democrats would say no, or do not know them enough. That is what is showing as of now)

And a different "N/A" in the post commissioners list. I'm not eligible to vote in any of them.

Whoops. Sorry Angel Eyes, I think you were confused about what this tax was meant to do. :huh:

It's actually not an increase, it's a renewal of a tax we have approved in prior years. So if it doesn't pass, we risk losing some public servant workers, i.e.; policemen, firemen, etc and it also covers roads and bridges. I'm not thrilled about the "Recreational Facilities outlay" but I guess we need to keep the ball parks and soccer fields in good condition. Looks like more kids will be using them now that we have eliminated Middle School sports. ;)

The SPLOST does not pay for salaries or maintenance. It is for capital expenses. As for ball parks, the SPLOST can pay to build one but it can not pay to maintain it. So what the taxpayer has to keep in mind is that building more and more assets could eventually lead to an increase the M&O budget in order to staff the upkeep of those assets.

Capital Expenses or Expenditures are payments by a business for fixed assets, like buildings and equipment. Capital expenses are not used for ordinary day-to-day operating expenses of a business, like rent, utilities, insurance and salaries.

The SPLOST does not pay for salaries or maintenance. It is for capital expenses. As for ball parks, the SPLOST can pay to build one but it can not pay to maintain it. So what the taxpayer has to keep in mind is that building more and more assets could eventually lead to an increase the M&O budget in order to staff the upkeep of those assets.

Capital Expenses or Expenditures are payments by a business for fixed assets, like buildings and equipment. Capital expenses are not used for ordinary day-to-day operating expenses of a business, like rent, utilities, insurance and salaries.

It can also be used to update existing capital items,like replacing patrol cars,radio systems for LEO, adding lights to fields, replacing old maintenance equipment,etc which can actually reduce the manpower needed. I for one would like the SPLOST item to designate items that would reduce long term costs rather than allow shifting of the money to vote getting items after the vote, (See, I got you a new Park!!), but I guess I'm old enough to know I don't get everything I want.

I am not inclined to vote for the SPOLST right now. I have what I think are very good reasons but I don't want to post them. I am still thinking about it.

Oh, come on...... I'm not inclined either, but I'm open to hearing some good reasons for or against.....

It is not a tax hike, we are already paying it. Fairest tax of all, if you spend money you pay, and if you don't spend you

don't pay it.

I am not for anymore new parks...not at this time. I would like to know just what each thing they will use the money for not the board range. Once it is set that is what it is to be used for then it can not be used any other way. IE...so much for new police car...so much for new radio systems... I mean dollar amounts and line items.

I am not for anymore new parks...not at this time. I would like to know just what each thing they will use the money for not the board range. Once it is set that is what it is to be used for then it can not be used any other way. IE...so much for new police car...so much for new radio systems... I mean dollar amounts and line items.

Solo:

While I appreciate your opinion that now is not the time for any new parks or similar capital expenditures, there is one angle you might not immediately recognize that would favor such expenditures now as opposed to a later time.

I think we all know that real estate prices are down right now compared to the boom years from 2004 to 2007. That, of course, was when there was some new park purchases and expansions going on.

The idea of buying things like park land and developing parks in down times is that you get more bang for the buck. With land prices down, a property that might sell for $1 million in good times might be able to be picked up for half that.

We've already seen the costs of building diminishing as well as contractoing companies, once booked with work, now are hungry for new projects and are offering bids that are low. Even basic building materials are lower overall.

So, wouldn't that make a time like this a better time to buy park land or expand a park?

spending that money now certainly wouldn't hurt the economy either.

pubby

It is not a tax hike, we are already paying it. Fairest tax of all, if you spend money you pay, and if you don't spend you

don't pay it.

It is definitely a quasi-fair tax. However, the cost of maintenance and staffing these long-term assets comes directly out of the M/0 budget and could cause the mill-rate of 6.65 to go up in the future.

Solo:

While I appreciate your opinion that now is not the time for any new parks or similar capital expenditures, there is one angle you might not immediately recognize that would favor such expenditures now as opposed to a later time.

I think we all know that real estate prices are down right now compared to the boom years from 2004 to 2007. That, of course, was when there was some new park purchases and expansions going on.

The idea of buying things like park land and developing parks in down times is that you get more bang for the buck. With land prices down, a property that might sell for $1 million in good times might be able to be picked up for half that.

We've already seen the costs of building diminishing as well as contractoing companies, once booked with work, now are hungry for new projects and are offering bids that are low. Even basic building materials are lower overall.

So, wouldn't that make a time like this a better time to buy park land or expand a park?

pubby

If you don't have it you should not spend it. If they want to keep Paulding from having a mountain of debt they need to stop spending. That is why the Democrats in Washington are making a sad future for all of us. They only care about what they want and not what is wise and good for the country. If we are not using resources in the best way then maybe we don't need more of them. What good is it to have more land or parks if we end up losing our credit rating because we overspent? What if it gets so bad that there isn't enough money to keep enough fireman and police officers on the job to protect the citizens from CRIME. Do we really want to buy more land for parks at the expense of those services?

Solo:

pubby

Sorry but land prices will be down for a long time. It is money we do not have, so no we should not be spending it. As far as the money helping the economy now...well if one person owns the land they wan to buy then I really do not see where that will help anyone else. The building of a park does not really put that many people to work either. Heck the county would come out cheaper by just paying the people what they would have made working on building the park and saving millions by doing it that way. It is not a time when we should be spending money we do not have. Times like now are when every penny counts for people tring to keep a roof over their head and food on the table. Wasting money is not something we should even think about doing. There is a time and place for everything and now is not the time for parks.

Sorry but land prices will be down for a long time. It is money we do not have, so no we should not be spending it. As far as the money helping the economy now...well if one person owns the land they wan to buy then I really do not see where that will help anyone else. The building of a park does not really put that many people to work either. Heck the county would come out cheaper by just paying the people what they would have made working on building the park and saving millions by doing it that way. It is not a time when we should be spending money we do not have. Times like now are when every penny counts for people tring to keep a roof over their head and food on the table. Wasting money is not something we should even think about doing. There is a time and place for everything and now is not the time for parks.

Solo:

First, I know of no plans to spend renewed SPLOST funds for parks and recreation. I do know that projects like the East Hiram Parkway and other road/transportation projects are almost totally dependent on renewal of the SPLOST.

Given the likelihood that road maintenance would suffer mightily if the SPLOST fails, one consideration would be whether you prefer paying for replacement of suspension parts on your car because the end result of neglected roads is higher maintenance costs by all residents for their vehicles. I mean, you may think you're 'saving money' until you can't drive on the roads without knocking your alignment out of kilter or breaking a suspension part because there was no money for road maintenance.

Second, you noted that land prices will be down for a long time. The splost renewal is for five years from its ending next spring. I would suggest that the SPLOST is also a long time/long term effort to improve the community.

I think it is also instructive to understand how the county handles SPLOST expenditures.

Simply said, SPLOST is a pay as you go operation. Whether it is a road widening, a bridge replacement, a replacement of a SO car, or additional fire equipment, no purchases are made until the SPLOST money has been collected.

That means if retail sales remain depressed, then spending from the SPLOST - a tax on those sales - will also remain low because collections are slow. I would posit that if sales don't rebound for another year, the money would be used primarily to replace SO vehicles, work on fire services and do essential road work. These are things that have to be done but might, without the SPLOST, have to come out of the maintenance and operations budget and might even require a property tax increase ... or worse yet, be totally neglected to the point I'll need to order new shocks.

On the other hand, the SPLOST allows us to collect funds from those who shop here from other counties spreading the tax burden to folks other than just Paulding residents ... i.e. the Cobb folks who shop the Walmart on Dallas Highway.

I'm not one of those who feels that the sales tax is the fairest tax of all, but it is a tax that does belong in the mix. The yes vote is for a continuation of the SPLOST ... it is not a new tax and, given it would be nearly a year after the vote that the tax would finally be removed if it goes down to defeat, means that it is not an instantaneous thing. I.e. you vote against it things won't change - taxes won't go down - for nearly a year.

I'm for it. I trust the folks at the county to spend it well.

pubby

I'm not one of those who feels that the sales tax is the fairest tax of all, but it is a tax that does belong in the mix. The yes vote is for a continuation of the SPLOST ... it is not a new tax and, given it would be nearly a year after the vote that the tax would finally be removed if it goes down to defeat, means that it is not an instantaneous thing. I.e. you vote against it things won't change - taxes won't go down - for nearly a year.

I'm for it. I trust the folks at the county to spend it well.

pubby

Let me get the calendar... Pubby and I agree on something. :rofl:

But I will still watch how the county spends it.. don't know I trust them *that* much.

I am really torn between voting for this renewal or opposing this tax. I realize that if this tax is voted down then all capital improvements will come to a halt when this current tax expires, And most certainly some revenue will have to be raised in order to provide some of the most needed services that the county cannot do without such as fire equipment patrol cars, road repairs etc.

While pondering this decision, I could not think of but one other source of revenue that could replace this existing tax and that is a tax on Property owners which is a tax on Homes, Automobiles, Boats, And Motor homes etc. Which all property owners are required to pay today, and is what the county uses today for the normal Maintenance and operation.

So the question remains who is going to pay the taxes, Just the property owners of the county, Or everyone that spends money in the County We surely will not deny the funds needed to provide adequate equipment for our police and fire protection, Nor will we deny funds that provides equipment to maintain our road ways.

These are things that are going to have to be funded, will the property owners share the entire burden, or will it be evenly distributed among everyone? I am still undecided?

I am really torn between voting for this renewal or opposing this tax. I realize that if this tax is voted down then all capital improvements will come to a halt when this current tax expires, And most certainly some revenue will have to be raised in order to provide some of the most needed services that the county cannot do without such as fire equipment patrol cars, road repairs etc.

While pondering this decision, I could not think of but one other source of revenue that could replace this existing tax and that is a tax on Property owners which is a tax on Homes, Automobiles, Boats, And Motor homes etc. Which all property owners are required to pay today, and is what the county uses today for the normal Maintenance and operation.

So the question remains who is going to pay the taxes, Just the property owners of the county, Or everyone that spends money in the County We surely will not deny the funds needed to provide adequate equipment for our police and fire protection, Nor will we deny funds that provides equipment to maintain our road ways.

These are things that are going to have to be funded, will the property owners share the entire burden, or will it be evenly distributed among everyone? I am still undecided?

Actually, there will be balance of approximately 17,000,000 in the SPLOST fund on June 30th of this year.

Balance 6/30/09 was $24,000,000

Inflow: $11,800,000

Outflows: $18,800,000

Balance 6/30/10 will be $17,000,000

We need to reduce spending. I'm tired of being taxed out the wazoo and I don't trust the local government to be a good steward of our tax money. Sure, it's only a small amount, but we need to clean house in this election, and start by voting NO on the splost and all other types of taxes, regardless of what they promise to spend it on.

don't pay it.

It is just another way for someone that is undeserving to get their hands on MY money. NEVER NEVER NEVER vote yourself a tax increase!

Just for you: Never vote yourself a tax non-decrease.

Eliminate property tax and I will gladly pay sales tax. I am not giving them both as long as I have a vote.

It is just another way for someone that is undeserving to get their hands on MY money. NEVER NEVER NEVER vote yourself a tax increase!

Just for you: Never vote yourself a tax non-decrease.

Eliminate property tax and I will gladly pay sales tax. I am not giving them both as long as I have a vote.

I am afraid though, without the SPLOST renewal, we will be voting for a tax increase. The current budgets are predicated on the SPLOST continuing. Without it there are funds that will have to come in to cover the Sheriff's department, PDOT, 911, and parks and rec.

In addition, we will forfeit State and Federal matching funds for road projects such as widening, and finishing the West Hiram Parkway back around to 278. Without that road, we can forget trying to build an industrial park where the old stinky fields are adjacent to the Norfolk Southern tracks. Even basic road repair will cease.

Parks and Rec is desperate for equipment updates. They are keeping trucks, tractors, mowers, etc. running with baling wire and chewing gum. With the demise of middle school sports by the BOE, the parks are going to be under even more pressure.

Without an industrial tax base we basically only have property tax and SPLOST to supplement what is basically an 85% residential tax base.

So from where I sit, we either renew SPLOST, or prepare for a millage increase.

I am afraid though, without the SPLOST renewal, we will be voting for a tax increase. The current budgets are predicated on the SPLOST continuing. Without it there are funds that will have to come in to cover the Sheriff's department, PDOT, 911, and parks and rec.

In addition, we will forfeit State and Federal matching funds for road projects such as widening, and finishing the West Hiram Parkway back around to 278. Without that road, we can forget trying to build an industrial park where the old stinky fields are adjacent to the Norfolk Southern tracks. Even basic road repair will cease.

Parks and Rec is desperate for equipment updates. They are keeping trucks, tractors, mowers, etc. running with baling wire and chewing gum. With the demise of middle school sports by the BOE, the parks are going to be under even more pressure.

Without an industrial tax base we basically only have property tax and SPLOST to supplement what is basically an 85% residential tax base.

Ugh. SurePip is 90% correct. Man that hurt to say.

I see your point. My understanding is that the East Hiram Parkway is fully funded and some of the properties have been purchased.

I would prefer to vote on the SPLOST after the BOC has been elected. I can't help but remember how Jerry Shearin fooled the majority of the people into voting for the fire tax.

• Like 3

I see your point. My understanding is that the East Hiram Parkway is fully funded and some of the properties have been purchased.

I would prefer to vote on the SPLOST after the BOC has been elected. I can't help but remember how Jerry Shearin fooled the majority of the people into voting for the fire tax.

As I understand it, ASSUMING we keep going along paying our portion, the Fed matching money will keep coming in as well. I do think we have sufficient SPLOST revenue remaining 2010 and the beginning of 2011 to finish it all the way to 278.

SPLOST funding for the county [not talking the BOE here] has been well managed from what I have seen. PDOT, Sheriff's Deparment, and Parks & Rec. All the soccer fields at Braly.....the ball fields at Taylor Park,.....White[y] Oak, and the property for Burnt Hickory and Bulloch is purchased, best I recall.

We are between a rock and a hard place. Our property taxes are going down this year, substantially. David Austin is to be congratulated for this. At the same time, we need to renew the SPLOST.

<Sigh> I hate to admit it, but you have a point. That Fire tax boondoggle still chaps my butt.

It begs the question, that since they didn't put the education SPLOST on this ballot, you have to wonder why they didn't delay this one until after the main primaries also. I believe they both expire about the same time next year.

Of course, I'd put money down that this is *just* like the bond, if it fails this time, we will see it again, since it doesn't actually expire until sometime next year, March I think.

I hate to admit it, but you have a point. That Fire tax boondoggle still chaps my butt.

It begs the question, that since they didn't put the education SPLOST on this ballot, you have to wonder why they didn't delay this one until after the main primaries also. I believe they both expire about the same time next year.

Of course, I'd put money down that this is *just* like the bond, if it fails this time, we will see it again, since it doesn't actually expire until sometime next year, March I think.

Yes, King Jerry down right lied to us about the Fire Tax. And when he ran again in 2008 he had to stay away from P.com because there was way too many of us who were still smarting from the thrashing we got from him.....but his original comments were all still there in the archives. He basically gave us a 2 mil tax increase while telling us we voted for it......and the fire department is still understaffed. Did you get a reduction on your fire insurance premiums ?

I don't think the EPLOST is for renewal until next year. It may end up on a ballot all by itself.

I much prefer these referndums on the ballots with a primary or general election instead of all my themselves not-connected to any other election. At least we have a better cross section of voters to decide the fate.

But the bottom line is still the same. Austin has cut the budget about as far as you can cut it without dismissing Sheriff's department personnel and shutting down Parks and Rec as well as the PDOT. If we don't renew the SPLOST, those will be the choices before the end of the year.

Austin has cut the budget about as far as you can cut it without dismissing Sheriff's department personnel and shutting down Parks and Rec as well as the PDOT. If we don't renew the SPLOST, those will be the choices before the end of the year.

SPLOST doesn't pay for personnel.

SPLOST doesn't pay for personnel.

Correct!

But when the Sheriff's department has to use their operating budget to put new cars on the road, or buy radios, or any other CAPITOL expenditures, then they will have to take that money from what would have been paying personnel.

And the same goes for the other departments, including our 911 system which is sorely out of date.

SPLOST only pays for capital expenses, but that supplements the operating budget sufficiently so the operating budget can pick up everything else.

Take away the SPLOST, and you WILL see personnel cuts across the board. That one is simple mathematics.

Correct!

But when the Sheriff's department has to use their operating budget to put new cars on the road, or buy radios, or any other CAPITOL expenditures, then they will have to take that money from what would have been paying personnel.

And the same goes for the other departments, including our 911 system which is sorely out of date.

SPLOST only pays for capital expenses, but that supplements the operating budget sufficiently so the operating budget can pick up everything else.

Take away the SPLOST, and you WILL see personnel cuts across the board. That one is simple mathematics.

Does anyone actually know what happens if it's voted down? Can they put it on the ballot every year?

Does anyone actually know what happens if it's voted down? Can they put it on the ballot every year?

If I remember from the school bond vote, there are 4 times a year they can put special items up for election. Not sure if the SPLOST falls under that law or not.

If not in November, then for sure in the spring.

But, if voted down now, I would assume David Austin and the BOC would have to address budget shortfalls, to be voted on by 2 lame duck and possibly more commissioners in August.

I understand the Chamber is supposed to be putting together some kind of information presentation of exactly what this SPLOST would and would not be providing.

If not in November, then for sure in the spring.

But, if voted down now, I would assume David Austin and the BOC would have to address budget shortfalls, to be voted on by 2 lame duck and possibly more commissioners in August.

I understand the Chamber is supposed to be putting together some kind of information presentation of exactly what this SPLOST would and would not be providing.

That would be helpful. The one percent I hardly notice. The $10K+ for property tax I feel. Not to mention all the help we get from West Cobb shoppers with the SPLOST.

That would be helpful. The one percent I hardly notice. The $10K+ for property tax I feel. Not to mention all the help we get from West Cobb shoppers with the SPLOST.

Have you received your new assesment yet ? We got ours yesterday and it went down 25%. Durning King Jerry's last 2 years ours was raised the MAX each year. Last year went down a little, this year a lot. Coincidence ?

Bottom line, if your assessment went down [i think the average was 17%,] then your taxes should drop accordingly.

Have you received your new assesment yet ? We got ours yesterday and it went down 25%. Durning King Jerry's last 2 years ours was raised the MAX each year. Last year went down a little, this year a lot. Coincidence ?

Bottom line, if your assessment went down [i think the average was 17%,] then your taxes should drop accordingly.

Are we suppose to celebrate the extreme devaluation of our properties over the past three years?