Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
MissSophie

Mystery mold spot in the dogs' water dish?

I have 8 indoor animals - one giant sized water bowl with the huge clear plastic bottle thingy that you fill and turn upside down.

A mold spot appeared in the bottom of the bowl - I rinsed, wiped, refilled.

Spot came back - hot soapy water, rinsed, wiped, refilled.

Spot came back - hot soapy water, rinsed, soaked in clorox water for about 45 minutes; more washing, rinsing, wiping and refilling.

About 36 hours later, it reappeared. - What the hay is going on??????????

I am baffled - I know I can buy a new one but why won't this go away??

maybe there is not enough air getting in the bottle and the water is sweating in plastic and causing it to mold.. something like condensation...

What happens is the saliva from the animals creates bacteria that will cause mold to grow...the only way to help with that is to either have several bowls or just clean each day...I have 7 cats and 2 dogs...plus I used to run a boarding facility...the best thing to do is use the aluminum/metal dog and cat dishes...not only does it help with not attracting mold and bacteria, it keeps their water a little cooler...hope this helps :)

I use the small clear glass "custard" baking dishes. Each day I use a clean one and they are washed in my dishwasher.

What happens is the saliva from the animals creates bacteria that will cause mold to grow...the only way to help with that is to either have several bowls or just clean each day...I have 7 cats and 2 dogs...plus I used to run a boarding facility...the best thing to do is use the aluminum/metal dog and cat dishes...not only does it help with not attracting mold and bacteria, it keeps their water a little cooler...hope this helps :)

But, why, all of a sudden? Do you think one of the animals has picked up some type of bacteria? I clean these bowls VERY often. This has never happened before. Maybe I should talk to the vet. Now I am worried that one of these guys is carrying around an infection. This is indoors and I am very clean about their bowls and eating area. I will look into the aluminum bowls; but still a little worried. Thanks for your input!

But, why, all of a sudden? Do you think one of the animals has picked up some type of bacteria? I clean these bowls VERY often. This has never happened before. Maybe I should talk to the vet. Now I am worried that one of these guys is carrying around an infection. This is indoors and I am very clean about their bowls and eating area. I will look into the aluminum bowls; but still a little worried. Thanks for your input!

it could just be the bowl...maybe you need to get a new one and try that before the vet...

My parents' dog suffers with a yeast infection on his chin. The vet told her that the yeast can get imbedded in the plastic of the bowl and keep reinfecting him. They recommend only metal bowls.