Jump to content
Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
MissSophie

Mystery mold spot in the dogs' water dish?

Recommended Posts

I have 8 indoor animals - one giant sized water bowl with the huge clear plastic bottle thingy that you fill and turn upside down.

 

A mold spot appeared in the bottom of the bowl - I rinsed, wiped, refilled.

 

Spot came back - hot soapy water, rinsed, wiped, refilled.

 

Spot came back - hot soapy water, rinsed, soaked in clorox water for about 45 minutes; more washing, rinsing, wiping and refilling.

 

About 36 hours later, it reappeared. - What the hay is going on??????????

 

I am baffled - I know I can buy a new one but why won't this go away??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

maybe there is not enough air getting in the bottle and the water is sweating in plastic and causing it to mold.. something like condensation...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What happens is the saliva from the animals creates bacteria that will cause mold to grow...the only way to help with that is to either have several bowls or just clean each day...I have 7 cats and 2 dogs...plus I used to run a boarding facility...the best thing to do is use the aluminum/metal dog and cat dishes...not only does it help with not attracting mold and bacteria, it keeps their water a little cooler...hope this helps :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use the small clear glass "custard" baking dishes. Each day I use a clean one and they are washed in my dishwasher.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What happens is the saliva from the animals creates bacteria that will cause mold to grow...the only way to help with that is to either have several bowls or just clean each day...I have 7 cats and 2 dogs...plus I used to run a boarding facility...the best thing to do is use the aluminum/metal dog and cat dishes...not only does it help with not attracting mold and bacteria, it keeps their water a little cooler...hope this helps :)

 

 

But, why, all of a sudden? Do you think one of the animals has picked up some type of bacteria? I clean these bowls VERY often. This has never happened before. Maybe I should talk to the vet. Now I am worried that one of these guys is carrying around an infection. This is indoors and I am very clean about their bowls and eating area. I will look into the aluminum bowls; but still a little worried. Thanks for your input!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But, why, all of a sudden? Do you think one of the animals has picked up some type of bacteria? I clean these bowls VERY often. This has never happened before. Maybe I should talk to the vet. Now I am worried that one of these guys is carrying around an infection. This is indoors and I am very clean about their bowls and eating area. I will look into the aluminum bowls; but still a little worried. Thanks for your input!

it could just be the bowl...maybe you need to get a new one and try that before the vet...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My parents' dog suffers with a yeast infection on his chin. The vet told her that the yeast can get imbedded in the plastic of the bowl and keep reinfecting him. They recommend only metal bowls.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...