Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
DrNecropolis

Fish Aquariums

Wondering if anyone here keeps aquariums?

Ive been a fish keeper since I was a little kid and always found it to be rather rewarding. Once I moved to saltwater, My interest grew 10 fold. Lucky for me my wife is very understanding (As you will see in some pics Im going to post).

Just wondering if anyone else is a fish nerd also..

Now.. Pics..

Me acting silly

Picture531.jpg

Starting the project

100_1573.jpg

Normal closet door

100_1589.jpg

Modified opening LOL

Picture550.jpg

Tank sitting in place

100_1620.jpg

Trim around tank

100_1680.jpg

Filling tank

100_1702.jpg

Plumbing

100_1689.jpg

100_1690.jpg

100_1684.jpg

100_1834.jpg

100_1836.jpg

100_1838.jpg

End result

100_1766.jpg

100_1719.jpg

Random pictures

100_1748.jpg

100_1759.jpg

100_1742.jpg

100_1903.jpg

100_1850.jpg

100_1858.jpg

Sorry for all the pictures.. Just easy to explain it that way.. Ignore the date stamp it was waaaay off.. I started on this in Feb of this year..

The finished product is beautiful!!

We have 2 aquariums and I really enjoy them. Haven't ventured to salt water yet.

I did finally learn not to use any type of tap water. Once I started using bottled water for my tanks--I haven't had any problems at all. I have 5 fish in one of my tanks that I have had for well over a year--and these were all $1 cheapo fish.

The finished product is beautiful!!

We have 2 aquariums and I really enjoy them. Haven't ventured to salt water yet.

I did finally learn not to use any type of tap water. Once I started using bottled water for my tanks--I haven't had any problems at all. I have 5 fish in one of my tanks that I have had for well over a year--and these were all $1 cheapo fish.

No kidding on the tap water.. I have a 100 gallon per day RODI unit on the wall next to the tank.. The input is coming from the water line on the house and the waste is tied into the drain for the sink a couple rooms over, all under the house..

WOW!! That is beautiful! It looks like you really put a lot of time into it. I would sit and look at it all day and not get anything done...

We have an aquarium, ya know, for the "kids"! We have 4 cichlids and they have gotten so big, they are over a year old. We keep saying we want to try salt water but just don't have time.

That is really quite beautiful. I used to have a couple of small tropical tanks and even had baby swordtails one time. Now I have a very small tank on my desk with 3 goldfish.

Ansley, that looks great. You did a wonderful job. I can't wait to see it.

Leslie

Ansley, that looks great. You did a wonderful job. I can't wait to see it.

Leslie

Thanks dear!!

Everytime I see or hear someone say they want to do saltwater but its:

Too hard

Expensive

Time consuming

It makes me smile.. I use a bucket of salt (works out to about 120 gallons of saltwater and is $45) a month and the only thing I add to it is water for what I lose to evap and skimming and food (maybe $10 and last for 6 months or so)

The upfront cost can be rather expensive if you buy all new stuff or buy stuff that you can barely scrape by on since you WILL end up replacing it once you get addicted and want to go bigger and more advanced..

Exampl:

That tank is a 220 gallon(72"x24"x30") "Reef Ready" made by All Glass Aquariums. New I wouldnt want to know how much they cost.. Upwards of $1000 for just the tank Im sure.

I bought this one from a friend and got a stand and canopy (didnt use either) with the tank and it was $300. My protein skimmer is about $600 new (without a pump) I only paid $200 for it..

Used is the way to go, but only if you trust where its coming from.

If anyone wants to get into the hobby and would like some advice or a guiding hand about what is good for what or the direction to take the first step, feel free to let me know.

MORE PICS!!

100_1897.jpg

100_1751.jpg

100_1755.jpg

Awesome job! We have a 55 Gallon in our house and love it! It's not salt water though. Got it when my blood pressure went through the roof! Best thing I did for relaxation. I kick back in the recliner and can watch it all day!

Initial set up cost is what worries me and the fact that Im not very knowledgeable about keeping a salt water tank. It intimidates me to think about investing in an expensive hobby like that and screwing it up. I did meet your friend Cliff though that was super nice and Im sure would give me any info needed in keeping one. :D

Initial set up cost is what worries me and the fact that Im not very knowledgeable about keeping a salt water tank. It intimidates me to think about investing in an expensive hobby like that and screwing it up. I did meet your friend Cliff though that was super nice and Im sure would give me any info needed in keeping one. :D

eta: when I say expensive hobby I mean the cost of the fish & coral compared to freshwater....

eta: when I say expensive hobby I mean the cost of the fish & coral compared to freshwater....

I understand.. The fish range anywhere from $6 to $4000.. I've also seen pieces of coral smaller than pinkey nails go for $2500+

One of the good things about the hobby is finding a local club.. We actually have the largest local reef club in the country in Atlanta..(Which I'm president of. LOL) soooooo many members give away coral for free when its getting to big or trade for other stuff they like..

Buying used gear is the best thing to do in the hobby.. I can think of only 1 thing that I bought new.. My lighting setup.. It added up fast.

$160 for 2 light bulbs

$320 for 2 reflectors

$300 for a ballast to power them

Not to mention the 500 watts those are pulling 8 hours a day..

If you decide to really consider it, let me know and we can work up a plan.. I had a member earlier ask me about converting a 150 over to the dark side.. What I told them (and this goes for everyone)

If you want to do it.. I know a lot of shortcuts that are fine to use and work perfectly and what products that some stores sell that are a waste of money.. I've been keeping salt water for about 12 years or so.. So I've learned a lot of ins and outs with tricks to get the job done right..

The most important thing you can ever get is patience..lol

We have a saying:

"Nothing good has ever happened in this hobby fast, only bad"

I used to have a saltwater aquarium. I have several Orbital Batfish that I had raised, Yellow Tangs, Sea Horses, and Sea Anemones and such. Mine was running fine, had run fine for years. Then my exterminator sent in a rookie to do our routine bug spray inside and he sprayed near my air pumps which sucked up the stuff and pumped it right into the tank. It killed all of the fish and I was never able to get anything to live in that tank. I haven't been able to touch another aquarium since.

I used to have a saltwater aquarium. I have several Orbital Batfish that I had raised, Yellow Tangs, Sea Horses, and Sea Anemones and such. Mine was running fine, had run fine for years. Then my exterminator sent in a rookie to do our routine bug spray inside and he sprayed near my air pumps which sucked up the stuff and pumped it right into the tank. It killed all of the fish and I was never able to get anything to live in that tank. I haven't been able to touch another aquarium since.

That story made me sick to my stomach!! Im so sorry that happened to you. Was there anything the bug company did for you? Uggh, I just hate that!

That story made me sick to my stomach!! Im so sorry that happened to you. Was there anything the bug company did for you? Uggh, I just hate that!

Yeah, they paid me about $400, which is all I had receipts for. But as everyone knows, salt water fish can cost a LOT and you can't put a price on fish that you raise from little ones to those that would eat out of my hand.

Yeah, they paid me about $400, which is all I had receipts for. But as everyone knows, salt water fish can cost a LOT and you can't put a price on fish that you raise from little ones to those that would eat out of my hand.

:( I know what you mean and I know about "birthin" and raising babies, nothing like it. I hope one day you will start back because Im sure it was a passion for you.

We have a 150 gallon reef tank. It is just getting reestablished after a move.

What a worthless post.. WE NEED PICS!!!! LOL

Why in the world would you be running air pumps in a saltwater tank? LOL

Yeah.. That is a HUGE pita in the aquarium world.. I would let the wife spray febreze within 10' of the tank unless I covered it with a blanket first.. Lucky now its all in the wall and NOTHING gets sprayed in my fish room except water when Im not paying attention.. :)