Paulding.com

Just WHY? is Beverly Cochran running for the Post 2 Commission Seat ?

Jason Anavitarte ? As well?

Pathetic.

Note how he threw this out there in hopes that he

could smear the post 4 candidate with the same brush.

I realize Surpip is hell bent on getting all "new" people in, and that I suspect

is because of his pending litigation. A new commission, maybe a better outcome for him.

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is becoming quite comical isn't it? Surepip just keeps on "digging that hole" a little deeper and deeper - isn't there a song about that? What goes around, comes around..........

Of course they turned you down. Look how you act.

Newly elected and/or appointed politicians generally bring in their own staff.   Those who were working for the previous administration have no job security once the new officials take office. The

Relevant issue? Did Austin state he was forced to sign that letter or is that your own opinion? (you reiterated that so I would like to know) She received a "severance" (settlement) because the conditions in her contract were not met. I would do the same if I had something guaranteeing (in writing) me a particular thing and then it did not happen. Would you not? If you have a contract with someone and they do not fulfill it, what would you do?

I do not know Cochran, only what I have read on this site. I realize Surpip is hell bent on getting all "new" people in, and that I suspect is because of his pending litigation. A new commission, maybe a better outcome for him. (That is NOT saying he is wrong, he might be totally in the right, just saying this one and the past has not worked with him to work it out) I do not understand you and others acting as if she is some major power player, wheeler dealer, and insinuating that she has done the county wrong.

No way would I every run for office in this county and hats off to anyone that does. It is ugly and just not worth having your name smeared by seemingly vindictive people. It is a shame that local politics has to be like this.

Excellent post!!!

Relevant issue? Did Austin state he was forced to sign that letter or is that your own opinion? (you reiterated that so I would like to know) She received a "severance" (settlement) because the conditions in her contract were not met. I would do the same if I had something guaranteeing (in writing) me a particular thing and then it did not happen. Would you not? If you have a contract with someone and they do not fulfill it, what would you do?

I do not know Cochran, only what I have read on this site. I realize Surpip is hell bent on getting all "new" people in, and that I suspect is because of his pending litigation. A new commission, maybe a better outcome for him. (That is NOT saying he is wrong, he might be totally in the right, just saying this one and the past has not worked with him to work it out) I do not understand you and others acting as if she is some major power player, wheeler dealer, and insinuating that she has done the county wrong.

No way would I every run for office in this county and hats off to anyone that does. It is ugly and just not worth having your name smeared by seemingly vindictive people. It is a shame that local politics has to be like this.

That's what I'm thinking.

This is the way I see it too. Who in their right mind would give up the best retirement package they could get. From what I know of David Austin nobody could force him to do anything he did not want to do. I suspect he did what he thought was in every-one's best interest at the time.

This is the way I see it too. Who in their right mind would give up the best retirement package they could get. From what I know of David Austin nobody could force him to do anything he did not want to do. I suspect he did what he thought was in every-one's best interest at the time.

Exactly! David is a person of integrity,is doing his job well and I'm sure he put a lot of thought into this decision.

• Like 1

And now back on topic.....

Just WHY is Beverly Cochran running for the Post 2 Commission Seat ?

It is plainly obvious she would like to be in a position to thwart any and all agendas, projects, goals, and plans for the county David Austin tries to put into place.

And from where I sit, electing her will be putting Shearin's influence back onto the BOC.

It is plainly obvious she would like to be in a position to thwart any and all agendas, projects, goals, and plans for the county David Austin tries to put into place.

And from where I sit, electing her will be putting Shearin's influence back onto the BOC.

I don't know but if it were me,I would just simply pick up the phone or send an email to Beverly and ask her (ear to ear or face to face) what her agenda is and why she is running for office - that would be a lot less complicated and time consuming than just speculating and you might just be really surprised at what you will find out. But then, thats just me and I don't operate on conspiracy theories and such.......

Maybe she'll thwart another Austin mill-rate increase to the M/O Budget? :)

• Like 2

Is there something wrong with have diffierent opinion?

Should only people with the same agenda as the current adminstration be allow to run for office?

It was a logical deduction. The source was my conversation with Beverly yesterday who said she would not take or accept the transfer to the DA's office until she had the Feb. 11th 2009 letter in hand guaranteeing her the salary and benefits in the DA's office through July 2011 signed by David.

It was obvious that she would not leave the post without the letter and it was her stroke with the three commissioners that gave her the leverage to get the letter.

What happened in September was predicated on her forcing David to enter into the alleged contract in February. There was no contract prior to that.

Further, I don't contend she did the county 'wrong' but rather she was just very good at taking care of herself. That kind of skill set is valuable and its value to her was confirmed when she was able to negotiate the settlement. Obviously her skills gave her an edge that softened her separation when compared to literally thousands of other state and local government employees who have been separated in the past year because of budget cutbacks.

pubby

It was a logical deduction. The source was my conversation with Beverly yesterday who said she would not take or accept the transfer to the DA's office until she had the Feb. 11th 2009 letter in hand guaranteeing her the salary and benefits in the DA's office through July 2011 signed by David.

It was obvious that she would not leave the post without the letter and it was her stroke with the three commissioners that gave her the leverage to get the letter.

What happened in September was predicated on her forcing David to enter into the alleged contract in February. There was no contract prior to that.

Further, I don't contend she did the county 'wrong' but rather she was just very good at taking care of herself. That kind of skill set is valuable and its value to her was confirmed when she was able to negotiate the settlement. Obviously her skills gave her an edge that softened her separation when compared to literally thousands of other state and local government employees who have been separated in the past year because of budget cutbacks.

pubby

Sounds like she is a pretty smart cookie! Nothing wrong with that quality on the BOC! I happen to think the other two candidates possess that quality too. Personally I don't think the Chairman would like to be thought of as having been forced to do something he did not want to do. The question seems to be, do we as a County choose someone who will be more in line with the members who will remain on the Commission, or do we choose someone who may question more. Which is going to be better for the County?

Sounds like she is a pretty smart cookie! Nothing wrong with that quality on the BOC! I happen to think the other two candidates possess that quality too. Personally I don't think the Chairman would like to be thought of as having been forced to do something he did not want to do. The question seems to be, do we as a County choose someone who will be more in line with the members who will remain on the Commission, or do we choose someone who may question more. Which is going to be better for the County?

I disagree.

The choice you will be making when deciding if you want to vote or support Beverly is if you want Shearin and the ROBBER BARON MEGA DEVELOPERS to continue to influence the BOC ?

David Austin and Tommie Graham had done a remarkable job the past 18 months and even more so when you consider their hands have been tied a great deal of the time by the other 3 commissioners.

King Jerry had his solid majority [4 to 1] until Hal Elchol's death. And with his vote still had a majority the balance of his term. With that he was able to make the decision to basically wipe out the county reserve fund when their plans for a SNEAKY Back Door Tax increase became public. Then David Austin gets hit with the responsibility of raising the taxes to pay for King Jerry's committments.

I feel you have to think long and hard about whether or not you want to send the RBMDs and their Posse packing, or give them another term at the helm. Electing Beverly will help them keep their power position.

I would think it is time for us to finish the days of the RBMDs running Paulding and give David's administration a chance to bring industry and jobs to Paulding.

And I have to stop and consider the 100,000 teachers in Georgia who also had employment contracts.....with the State. But they have been forced into furlough days and pay cuts, or the outright loss of their jobs.

$64,000 for an administrative assistant seems like a pretty good deal Beverly had going.

• Like 1

pubby

Pubby,

I appreciate you answering that question for me! :good:

Seems like we were on topic. You made an accusation and did not give us all the info and when asked, or we questioned anything, you ignore it. (well, at least me) You are making some more really long jumps on the statements above. Why would she want to thwart plans that would help this county, the county where she lives? Just because she worked for the previous administration? How is JS still influencing her? Wouldn't you think anyone running and putting themselves out there would be doing so in an effort to better where they reside?

I would really like to know the answers to these questions.

Seems like we were on topic. You made an accusation and did not give us all the info and when asked, or we questioned anything, you ignore it. (well, at least me) You are making some more really long jumps on the statements above. Why would she want to thwart plans that would help this county, the county where she lives? Just because she worked for the previous administration? How is JS still influencing her? Wouldn't you think anyone running and putting themselves out there would be doing so in an effort to better where they reside?

Great post and great questions bellaprincess! Like I said earlier, this is pure speculation on his part along with not having anything better to do....my humble opinion of course! :lol: I realize that sounds a little mean; however, it is becoming more and more obvious to me everyday....once again, my humble opinion of course! :lol:

Edited by Beach Bum

Great questions bellaprincess! Like I said earlier, this is pure speculation on his part along with not having anything better to do....my humble opinion of course! :lol:

You are not by yourself, I don't know why every election we have he has to pick one to do this. Like you said I guess

he don't have anything better to do. You would think he would run himself??????????????????????

You are not by yourself, I don't know why every election we have he has to pick one to do this. Like you said I guess

he don't have anything better to do. You would think he would run himself??????????????????????

I agree. I also wonder why, as surepip seems to think he can solve the world's problems, he wouldn't choose to run for public office himself and attempt to make Paulding County and this world a better place.

I just wonder why................................

Edited by Beach Bum

I agree. I also wonder why, as surepip seems to think he can solve the world's problems, he wouldn't choose to run for public office himself and attempt to make Paulding County and this world a better place.

I just wonder why................................

You are on vacation and find it necessary to argue on pcom? There is a 12 step program. :blink: :lol:

• Like 1

You are on vacation and find it necessary to argue on pcom? There is a 12 step program. :blink: :lol:

I'm not on vacation silly. We are down at our beach house in Florida (our second residence) but our vacation will be in the Turks & Caicos Islands - we are down at the beach at least twice a month!

News flash - we do have internet access in the Mexico Beach / St. Joe Beach area and I am here quite often (in fact I have several clients here) so I do get online sometimes.

Edited by Beach Bum

I am not surepip, and I am like some of the previous posters on here I am not too smart but I did stay at a Holiday Inn a couple nights ago.

It is not a matter if she wanted to thwart plans that would help this county, but rather what are her plans for this County. And will it really help the county?

We all know that she worked for two previous Commission Chairmen and we all know what transpired during that twelve year period.

Everyone should realize that the building boom that this county experienced has caused many tax increases over these twelve years, In addition it has caused a severe problem with the School system, Which resulted in the need for additional schools, And additional teachers. At this point in time the county can no longer provide the teachers for all of these additional classrooms, and hundreds of the teachers are now being laid off.

Fact is there are a lot of services that can no longer be provided, and many other county employees have also lost their jobs,

Is this Mrs. Cochran fault? I say yes, It is partly her fault not entirely, But certainly she has to share some of the responsibility for the mess that the county is now experiencing, She was part of two administrations that got this county into the mess we are in, And carried out the policies of those administrations in the performance of her job, And aided those two administrations in caring out those policies.

Something has really gone awry in Paulding County, When people support a person that was making $64,000 per year, And by her own admission was not a CERTIFIED clerk, And then uses legal representation to attain another $49,000 + to get her to retirement age, And then turns around and runs for a commissioner post and if elected will be placed back on the County payroll paid with tax dollars, And by the way will accrue additional pension benefits. (Shaking head in disgust)

Because Mrs. Cochran, had the political clout to negotiate a contract, that protected only her, Speaks volumes to me as to her integrity, and her concerns of the tax payers of this county.

thanks Surepip for taking the time to bring out both sides of a candidates platform, You don't always get wjat is on a candidate's web site.

Keep up the good work.

As I look at this issue it is apparent to me that Cochran was only looking out for herself,And had no concerns whatsoever of her fellow workers, or the new adminstration, like so many of the politically connected they only line their own pockets. This is so sad

• Like 1

I am not surepip, and I am like some of the previous posters on here I am not too smart but I did stay at a Holiday Inn a couple nights ago.

It is not a matter if she wanted to thwart plans that would help this county, but rather what are her plans for this County. And will it really help the county?

We all know that she worked for two previous Commission Chairmen and we all know what transpired during that twelve year period.

Everyone should realize that the building boom that this county experienced has caused many tax increases over these twelve years, In addition it has caused a severe problem with the School system, Which resulted in the need for additional schools, And additional teachers. At this point in time the county can no longer provide the teachers for all of these additional classrooms, and hundreds of the teachers are now being laid off.

Fact is there are a lot of services that can no longer be provided, and many other county employees have also lost their jobs,

Is this Mrs. Cochran fault? I say yes, It is partly her fault not entirely, But certainly she has to share some of the responsibility for the mess that the county is now experiencing, She was part of two administrations that got this county into the mess we are in, And carried out the policies of those administrations in the performance of her job, And aided those two administrations in caring out those policies.

Something has really gone awry in Paulding County, When people support a person that was making $64,000 per year, And by her own admission was not a CERTIFIED clerk, And then uses legal representation to attain another $59,000 + to get her to retirement age, And then turns around and runs for a commissioner post and if elected will be placed back on the County payroll paid with tax dollars, And by the way will accrue additional pension benefits. (Shaking head in disgust)

Because Mrs. Cochran, had the political clout to negotiate a contract, that protected only her, Speaks volumes to me as to her integrity, and her concerns of the tax payers of this county.

I am confused by the statement above (highlighted) on how she would be responsible if she did her job and did not have a voice in actually what was implemented? If she carried out her job and did as she should as an employee how is that her fault? That is a very large blanket. I teach kids everyday as I am instructed. Is the state of the county schools at this point my fault?

I am really just trying to understand all of this. I do agree that we have had some poor leadership and decisions made in this county,but I do not see how that equates to everyone that worked for that administration to be at fault.

Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion with me. I do really appreciate that! :)

I am confused by the statement above (highlighted) on how she would be responsible if she did her job and did not have a voice in actually what was implemented? If she carried out her job and did as she should as an employee how is that her fault? That is a very large blanket. I teach kids everyday as I am instructed. Is the state of the county schools at this point my fault?

I am really just trying to understand all of this. I do agree that we have had some poor leadership and decisions made in this county,but I do not see how that equates to everyone that worked for that administration to be at fault.

Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion with me. I do really appreciate that! :)

You ask some tough questions, bravo!!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Administrative assistants are very powerful folks in political offices ... and the commission chairman job is definitely a political position.

Part of the job of the AA is to take a low key role and make it 'all about the boss.' Good one's do quite well at that with the press and general public. But when it comes to the brokering of power, the AA is right in the middle of it.

I was lucky enough to see the role of the professional AA's from the inside when I worked in the US Senate. This is nearly 34 years ago but Washingtonian Magazine rated the JW Fulbright's Senate Staff as one of the top ten on Capitol Hill ion 1973. Heck, a few years before I was there, one of the low level staffers was Bill Clinton. Not all would be considered wild-eyed liberals either. One of other the 'junior' Legislative Assistants while I was there was a fellow named Ed Yingling who today the president and CEO of the American Bankers Association.)

But the AA in this office was one of two key decisionmakers. (The senator's personal secretary was the other).

Between them, they could handle a good part of the routine business of the Senate office and while the Senator was given routine briefings ... as a politician you have to be aware of a multitude of things going on around you ... as a committee chairman, The senator's efforts were highly focused on the committee. The senate office obviously couldn't ignore issues outside foreign relations and expect to be re-elected so one of the key tasks of the office was to handle the electoral politics freeing the Senator to do the statesman job of being the CFR chair.

The point is that no politician is a Renaissance Man knowledgeable on all subjects and intimately aware of every person in their constituency. Politicians surround themselves with folks of high caliber to do these tasks and to act as soundboards and, certainly after years of working together, the aide learns what the boss wants (or at least thinks they know.) The AA in a political office is the person (often a guy) who does the hiring and firing for the political office, hob nobs with those folks the Senator doesn't want to hob nob with and, I know in the office I worked, was known to sign the Senators name to letters on all sorts of subjects related to politics. Made and brokered and was involved in political deals on most areas of legislation outside foreign relations.

The point is if the role of the county clerk was just "filing papers and typing up the minutes of the meeting," it wouldn't have been worth $64,000/yr.

pubby

If you were the adminstrative assistiant to the principal and something happened in a classroom would you be held accountable?

If you were the adminstrative assistiant to the principal and something happened in a classroom would you be held accountable?

No. The administrative assistant holds no managerial responsibility for what happens in the classroom.

• Like 1

Administrative assistants are very powerful folks in political offices ... and the commission chairman job is definitely a political position.

Part of the job of the AA is to take a low key role and make it 'all about the boss.' Good one's do quite well at that with the press and general public. But when it comes to the brokering of power, the AA is right in the middle of it.

I was lucky enough to see the role of the professional AA's from the inside when I worked in the US Senate. This is nearly 34 years ago but Washingtonian Magazine rated the JW Fulbright's Senate Staff as one of the top ten on Capitol Hill ion 1973. Heck, a few years before I was there, one of the low level staffers was Bill Clinton. Not all would be considered wild-eyed liberals either. One of other the 'junior' Legislative Assistants while I was there was a fellow named Ed Yingling who today the president and CEO of the American Bankers Association.)

But the AA in this office was one of two key decisionmakers. (The senator's personal secretary was the other).

Between them, they could handle a good part of the routine business of the Senate office and while the Senator was given routine briefings ... as a politician you have to be aware of a multitude of things going on around you ... as a committee chairman, The senator's efforts were highly focused on the committee. The senate office obviously couldn't ignore issues outside foreign relations and expect to be re-elected so one of the key tasks of the office was to handle the electoral politics freeing the Senator to do the statesman job of being the CFR chair.

The point is that no politician is a Renaissance Man knowledgeable on all subjects and intimately aware of every person in their constituency. Politicians surround themselves with folks of high caliber to do these tasks and to act as soundboards and, certainly after years of working together, the aide learns what the boss wants (or at least thinks they know.) The AA in a political office is the person (often a guy) who does the hiring and firing for the political office, hob nobs with those folks the Senator doesn't want to hob nob with and, I know in the office I worked, was known to sign the Senators name to letters on all sorts of subjects related to politics. Made and brokered and was involved in political deals on most areas of legislation outside foreign relations.

The point is if the role of the county clerk was just "filing papers and typing up the minutes of the meeting," it wouldn't have been worth $64,000/yr.

pubby

Addressing salary: Honestly the amount she made was never in question for me. I know a few people with the title AA that make that or more,granted they do not work in Paulding, but it does not seem unreasonable to me. :pardon: I would assume the pay scale was set when a person was hired and would included at least some raises in the time the person was there. I would gather in her situation, since retirement was close by, she had put in some time.

AA's in Politics: I had no idea they would take on such a power position! If I elect a certain person I would expect that person to make decisions on issues and not an AA. I can understand them using their people as sounding boards, attending certain functions, and even signing some documents,I would assume that is common practice. A "key" decision maker? Wow. If they are in the thick of decisions and brokering of power shouldn't we know who they are and where they stand? I understand that a person would want to choose their own AA to work closely with them, but if AA's are making decisions for me, I should have a say in the person that gets the position. (my opinion) Can someone with actual knowledge of our commissioners office (anyone with knowledge can answer :) ) know if this is what is happening now? Do I need to find out exactly who Austin's AA is and where she stands on politics? If she is making decisions I would like to know those things.

LOL. I am learning much, but it just leads to more questions! Again, I do appreciate those that having taken the time to address some of the questions I have had.

pubby

AA in the know Pubby :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

pubby

Does anyone know who the three comminissioners are that voted to keep BC? NO JOB IS GURANTEED!!! :o

Thanks for all the info in this thread. I made my decision.....not gonna vote for her!

It looks like she got a sweet deal on her way out the door.... Why didn't all the folks who got laid off from the water system or the school system get a similar deal? I WON"T be voting for her.

Addressing salary: Honestly the amount she made was never in question for me. I know a few people with the title AA that make that or more,granted they do not work in Paulding, but it does not seem unreasonable to me. :pardon: I would assume the pay scale was set when a person was hired and would included at least some raises in the time the person was there. I would gather in her situation, since retirement was close by, she had put in some time.

AA's in Politics: I had no idea they would take on such a power position! If I elect a certain person I would expect that person to make decisions on issues and not an AA. I can understand them using their people as sounding boards, attending certain functions, and even signing some documents,I would assume that is common practice. A "key" decision maker? Wow. If they are in the thick of decisions and brokering of power shouldn't we know who they are and where they stand? I understand that a person would want to choose their own AA to work closely with them, but if AA's are making decisions for me, I should have a say in the person that gets the position. (my opinion) Can someone with actual knowledge of our commissioners office (anyone with knowledge can answer :) ) know if this is what is happening now? Do I need to find out exactly who Austin's AA is and where she stands on politics? If she is making decisions I would like to know those things.

LOL. I am learning much, but it just leads to more questions! Again, I do appreciate those that having taken the time to address some of the questions I have had.

Bellaprincess you state In part

A "key" decision maker? Wow. If they are in the thick of decisions and brokering of power shouldn't we know who they are and where they stand? I understand that a person would want to choose their own AA to work closely with them, but if AA's are making decisions for me, I should have a say in the person that gets the position. (my opinion) Can someone with actual knowledge of our commissioners office (anyone with knowledge can answer

I believe that the record will show that Pat Crook was the County Manager and Beverly Cochran was the Administrative Assistant. For part of the Shearin adminstration.

The record of the previous administration pretty well speaks for itself

It looks like she got a sweet deal on her way out the door.... Why didn't all the folks who got laid off from the water system or the school system get a similar deal? I WON"T be voting for her.

Why didn't all the COUNTY workers get the same sweet deal on their way out the door? Why was she so special?

Why didn't all the COUNTY workers get the same sweet deal on their way out the door? Why was she so special?

Well I am obviously of a different mind set because I am not perplexed by the fact she received a settlement on a contract when she was let go. Happens everyday. If you have a contract guaranteeing you something, you expect it to be fulfilled, correct? If it is not fulfilled, you go from there. This instance it was a settlement for a lessor amount then would have been received if the contract were held up, so I have no problem with that.

Why weren't all the people laid off given the same/similar deal? We are not all "equal". What one gets does not mean everyone does. She had a contract, did the water people? (Now I know the school teachers not renewed did not. Their contracts will expire and they are offered on a yearly basis. So no breach on the contract, just stinks for education, but that is a whole other topic!) Anyone that had a contract in hand should have received compensation/resolution on said contract.

Excellent post!!! :clapping: This is pot stirring at it's best, giving out inaccurate information in an attempt to cause outrage. Thankfully, there are people on here smart enough to ask questions and see through all the horse pucky that is being slung around!!!!

Just based on what you've read here? unsure.gif

Ya know folks these people running for office are true patriots,they under go hard shots from anybody and everybody. Now I think Beverly is a nice person she has worked hard and would do a great job. Now Todd has experience and would work very hard,he deserves it because he has worked very hard for other canidates. Adam is a great family man and works for the children of our community. He has a business and very dedicated family man.

The reason most canidates don't come on here is due to all the sharp attacks. It's easy to take aim at people who are trying to make a difference,imagine what these people are going through.Even there family suffers the cruel and sharp attacks.

Now go to the greet and meets and face these people one on one. But this election has been clean so far because none have attacked each other.

Now let's drink to that :drinks: