Paulding.com

Wanted to know if anyone knows what a gore is(I'm not talking about Al Gore!) I know that we have them in the County & I know what they are. But I want to see if any one else, ecpecially the law enforcement people that we have on here. Your assistance is greatly appreciated!

those little triangle areas between turn lanes and regular lanes. and on the interstate entrance and exit lanes it's the area between the ramp part and the interstate part. I can't even tell if I'm making sense.

Thank you ! This is a real word. This is the correct meaning of it. Now, the next question-Is it aganist the law to drive in one, deserving of a ticket or traffic citation?

Thank you ! This is a real word. This is the correct meaning of it. Now, the next question-Is it aganist the law to drive in one, deserving of a ticket or traffic citation?

Yes, all the sudden a lot of people are getting tickets for this, I used to never hear of someone getting a ticket for this, now they police seem to REALLY be focusing on it.

Yes, it's not legal to cross any of the yellow lines on a road, with one exception and that is when using an either direction left turn lane (AKA the suicide lane)...

You can also get a ticket for getting into the turn lane "early" if you are making a left turn at an intersection.

What I mean is, you can get a ticket if you get into a yellow lined suicide lane and then travel into the part that is the white lined left turn only lane.

You have to make your turn BEFORE you get out of the yellow lined part or get into the turn lane AFTER it becomes the white lined turn lane.

I got a ticket for that in 1984, getting into the turn lane early, traffic was backed up past the "official" turn lane!!!!

I know I annoy people behind me who want to make left turns, but I don't cross the yellow lines when I want to make a left turn (that is why)...

An example of this is East Memorial Drive in downtown Dallas. In front of the United Methodist Church, the middle lane is a yellow line, either direction turn lane, when you get near the stop light, it becomes a white lined left turn lane...

A very polite Paulding County Sheriff informed me about Gore Marks about three years ago, his speech came with a lovely fine of $75.00, I get so aggravated now when I see other people getting away with it LOL

We have discussed this on here before. I remember someone talking about getting a ticket for it a while back. It is really hard to be patient, especially in the mornings turning at Cedarcrest, when the traffic is backed up.

What about situations like on 120 heading East if you're wanting to turn right onto 92 (just in front of the Shell station on the same side of 120 as Stars and Strikes). I'm sure it wasn't originally designed that way, but there is no legal way to turn right there.

If you get into the right turn lane where the solid white line turns into a skip white line, then you have to go through the gore area for the entrance to the Shell station. If you wait until after the gore area to get over, then you have to cross a solid white line.

I'd be really ticked if I got a ticket there.

Wanted to know if anyone knows what a gore is(I'm not talking about Al Gore!) I know that we have them in the County & I know what they are. But I want to see if any one else, ecpecially the law enforcement people that we have on here. Your assistance is greatly appreciated!

It is the space on the road with the yellow lines painted on it that you are not allowed to drive on.

Speaking of the Gore area that can get you in trouble, another one is the SOLID WHITE LINE.

Many people don't apparently know that it is illegal to cross a Solid White Line on the road. You will see these at exits and entrances to the interstate and also dividing a group of turn lanes from straight on traffic. For some reason, crossing the Solid White Line carries a heavier traffic fine than getting into or parking in a Gore area. Don't believe me? Try doing it in front of a cop and see for yourself.

easy way to aquire funds for a cash strapped county! I was informed by a nice, handsome policeman about gore lines when he pulled me over for crossing them once. Learned my lesson! Thankfully, he really was nice and didn't ticket me but that was a few years ago before the economy went south.

I'm sorry to the ones that have been ticketed for this, but I'm glad they watch it. I had a car behind me pull out into the center lane (suicide lane?) with solid yellow on both sides. About 1/2 mile BEFORE the light at Thornton/Bankhead. Well, the car that pulled out, didnt notice the other car that was traveling about 50mph in that lane, and came inches away from totaling us all out. I think the turn lanes should start sooner to make the flow of traffic a little better, but until they do, people need to stay in their lanes. It doesnt work well when people are flying down the center lane at 50+mph, in a hurry before they get caught, and a car is trying to inch out into that same lane. Get up earlier, leave earlier, and wait with everyone else.

I see it every work day on the way home from Atlanta...people merging from 285 southbound to I-20 West try to get ahead of the trucks and cross the gore. I was told by a California Highway Patrol friend years ago why it's called the "gore" (it's obvious and is likely not related to the original meaning): it's because they often see the worst accidents in that area and also causes a traffic nightmare when some fool crosses it and causes a wreck and backs up two highways in the process.

I was in one turning left from 92 onto East Paulding Drive. A deputy stopped me and said he knows everybody does it but it is illegal. He did not give me a ticket but asked me not to do it again--so I don't--but it's hard to wait sometimes.

I'm sorry to the ones that have been ticketed for this, but I'm glad they watch it. I had a car behind me pull out into the center lane (suicide lane?) with solid yellow on both sides. About 1/2 mile BEFORE the light at Thornton/Bankhead. Well, the car that pulled out, didnt notice the other car that was traveling about 50mph in that lane, and came inches away from totaling us all out. I think the turn lanes should start sooner to make the flow of traffic a little better, but until they do, people need to stay in their lanes. It doesnt work well when people are flying down the center lane at 50+mph, in a hurry before they get caught, and a car is trying to inch out into that same lane. Get up earlier, leave earlier, and wait with everyone else.

2 points on this. A - what you described is exactly how I totaled a car a few years ago (I was the one trying to inch out and got hit by a truck flying down the turn lane). B - It is really irritating when people say "get up earlier - leave earlier" because if we HAD been able to do that we would have to travel back in time. Since time travel has not been prefected we all just have to deal with being on the roads together.

cobb county will bust you in a hurry for crossing over those gores.. and I have noticed paulding doing it more and more.

Cobb county will bust you in a hurry for anything! I swear, I think that we have at least twice the number of necessary police officers in the county.

We have a VIPER unit and they all drive pimped out Chargers. I guess that adds to the cool.

I am the ticked owner of a ticket for driving through a gore. It was news to me. I drove thru it; the guy in the lane next to me changed lanes (without a signal) as I was going thru it and hit my car. Yes, I got the ticket!! I am now very knowledgeable about gores!

2 points on this. A - what you described is exactly how I totaled a car a few years ago (I was the one trying to inch out and got hit by a truck flying down the turn lane). B - It is really irritating when people say "get up earlier - leave earlier" because if we HAD been able to do that we would have to travel back in time. Since time travel has not been prefected we all just have to deal with being on the roads together.

Why would you have to go back in time?? Waking up late isnt an excuse for breaking the laws, and endangering other people. If you are late...deal with the consequences. Is that better? Because putting my life in danger is not the answer to someone elses time management problems. Also, I know people that this is their way of life. Always late, and always driving like an idiot. Its not the one time a year when you oversleep, its a way of life. So yes, get up earlier, and leave earlier. And no, I shouldnt have to "deal" with dangerous people on the roads.

• Like 1

Yeah, I wish some people would wake up a little earlier, leave a little earlier. Or if not, at least wake up a little earlier and get dressed and made up and leave at your same time. It seems so stupid when I see the same people, morning after morning putting on their makeup while driving to work.

I remember my wife making a big deal about wanting to buy a makeup mirror that had special lights that coud be changed based on the lighting of the environment you're going into. It makes me wonder who works in a place that is lit in a similar fashion as a vanity light on the back of the sun visor in a car.

I was told by a California Highway Patrol friend years ago why it's called the "gore" (it's obvious and is likely not related to the original meaning): it's because they often see the worst accidents in that area ...

The term "gore" probably originates from the dressmaker's term for a triangular piece of cloth.

The one I hate is the side of Walmart on 92 hwy.. If you are coming from Douglasville, walmart is on your left and Mexican restaurant is on your right. there is a left hand turning lane to turn into walmart. Why in the world to people heading toward douglasville get in this lane to turn left I will never know. People need to realize this is not a suicide lane that it is actually a one way lane.

One day I pulled up right in front of someone and told them to get on their side of the road and out of my lane. The lady had to back up her car and go around me because she was going the wrong direction on my side of the road, in my lane.

Edited by orrby

Right is right, wrong is wrong. You get a ticket for wrong.

However, if you can catch a judge on a good day then they can be lenient. The Judge didn't tell him it was okay and continue doing it.

If you catch the judge on a bad day he might double the fine so it's a gamble.

Edited by Georgia Dawg

Cobb county will bust you in a hurry for anything! I swear, I think that we have at least twice the number of necessary police officers in the county.

We have a VIPER unit and they all drive pimped out Chargers. I guess that adds to the cool.

YEA, well that badge and gun has just lost it’s cool factor so we hafta find some other reason to stay in the business, so we are starting to demand pimped out cars.

• Like 1

Right is right, wrong is wrong. You get a ticket for wrong.

However, if you can catch a judge on a good day then they can be lenient. The Judge didn't tell him it was okay and continue doing it.

If you catch the judge on a bad day he might double the fine so it's a gamble.

I agree on the judge being the big factor but.... Everything I am reading states that a gore is an area of convergence and identified by white lines/striping. All these officers are giving tickets for crossing yellow lines/striping in areas that are not of convergence. So are these tickets valid? I am really curious if this is just an interpretation of the law or is there some facts out there I can't find. Maybe the officers can help us with the law and show us it in print. :unsure:

40-6-50.

(a) As used in this Code section, the term 'gore' means the area of convergence between two lanes of traffic.

(B) Every vehicle driven on a divided highway shall be driven only upon the right-hand roadway unless directed or permitted to use another roadway by official traffic-control devices or police officers. No vehicle shall be driven over, across, or within any dividing space, barrier, gore, paved shoulder, or section separating the roadways of a divided highway; except that a vehicle may be driven through an opening in such physical barrier or dividing space or at an established crossover or intersection unless specifically prohibited by an official sign, signal, or control device. No person shall drive a vehicle onto or from any controlled-access roadway except at such entrances and exits as are established by public authority. Except as provided for in subsection © of this Code section, no vehicle shall be driven in an emergency lane except in the event of an actual emergency.

Yep - my dear hubby got a ticket for "crossing the gore" a few years ago. He was merging from I-285 to I-20 West and crossed right over those "ever so very prominent" lines. :lol: He got a ticket, admitted his wrong doing, paid the ticket and...lesson learned! :lol:

40-6-50.

(a) As used in this Code section, the term 'gore' means the area of convergence between two lanes of traffic.

(B) Every vehicle driven on a divided highway shall be driven only upon the right-hand roadway unless directed or permitted to use another roadway by official traffic-control devices or police officers. No vehicle shall be driven over, across, or within any dividing space, barrier, gore, paved shoulder, or section separating the roadways of a divided highway; except that a vehicle may be driven through an opening in such physical barrier or dividing space or at an established crossover or intersection unless specifically prohibited by an official sign, signal, or control device. No person shall drive a vehicle onto or from any controlled-access roadway except at such entrances and exits as are established by public authority. Except as provided for in subsection © of this Code section, no vehicle shall be driven in an emergency lane except in the event of an actual emergency.

I saw this, but as an example, the intersection that others mentioned at 92 and East Paulding are neither an area of convergence or a divided highway. So how is that a violation of this law. (Honestly trying to figure this out, not being smart).

Edited by grandmaofnine

I saw this, but as an example, the intersection that others mentioned at 92 and East Paulding are neither an area of convergence or a divided highway. So how is that a violation of this law. (Honestly trying to figure this out, not being smart).

A gore area is by definition only found on limited access roadways and certian types of intersections. Crossing into the areas such as you describe should be written as failure to maintain proper lane or improper lane change.

Edited by wcso84

A gore area is by definition only found on limited access roadways such as interstates. Crossing into the areas such as you describe should be written as failure to maintain proper lane or improper lane change.

Ok, thank you, that makes sense. It was confusing how others were saying that they were getting gore citations in those areas. I just stay off those areas so I don't have to sort out the technicalities! :blush:

A gore area is by definition only found on limited access roadways and certian types of intersections. Crossing into the areas such as you describe should be written as failure to maintain proper lane or improper lane change.

It can also be written as passing in a no passing zone. Most of the striped off limits areas are double yellow striped. If the person drives to the left of a double yellow line they are violating that code section.

It is very simple yet people want to complicate it.....you can never cross a solid line....period.

It is very simple yet people want to complicate it.....you can never cross a solid line....period.

What I don't get is most all of this stuff is on the test for your drivers license.

While it has been some years ago since I took it, I still remember most of the rules and regs regarding driving.

Never, have I thought it was ok to cross a solid line on a roadway. That is common road knowledge.

What we need is more strict driving exams. I am absolutely blown away at how many people don't know

the basic rules of regulations of driving. I often find people who don't know what certain road signs mean.

We are too lenient in handing out drivers license... and we don't ever have to be rested.

People think they have a *right* to drive on public roadways...

But a large majority of them don't know the laws or basic driving regulations and still possess a license.

Edited by Nitro

I just know that I almost got hit because I was trying to to it the right way while others were not. They should either make that turn lane longer or sit there and give all tickets. I know if I drove thru the gore there I would be the one to either hit someone, or get the ticket.I try to avoid that turn at all costs.