Paulding.com

Is This What Happens When You Disagree With Paulding Co? (Animal Control)

I'm not sure what part of my post you think you disagree with, as nothing you said is counter to what I said. I said it wasn't always the case either way.

Cheers.

Now, this is the shelter that had the rat problem, right? The infestation was so pervasive that eradication led to possibly hundreds of dead rats in the walls and ceilings, causing a health hazard, as well as a horrible smell of rotting rat corpses in the heat of the day.

:retch: Rats and fleas and bubonic plague, oh my!

A bird died in my chimney one time. I seriously considered moving. I don't know that I could breathe dead-rat-air without dreaming up new illnesses for myself.

Residents of Paulding County cannot turn in strays after May 21st.

Lady and the Tramp will be relieved. What happens to strays after that? Do they just fend for themselves?

Edited by CeeJay

Lady and the Tramp will be relieved. What happens to strays after that? Do they just fend for themselves?

They'll reopen after the place is cleaned up and the renovations are done. I think I read elsewhere here they will be closed about 2 weeks.

They'll reopen after the place is cleaned up and the renovations are done. I think I read elsewhere here they will be closed about 2 weeks.

Thank you, that wasn't clear to me. I wish there were acres and acres of puppy and kitty free range, but there isn't. I'm thankful for the work these people do. I hate there is bad blood, but that is normal in a takeover situation. I trust what they are doing will benefit the animals in the end.

Update:

Thursday May 20th.

Anything inside the building that does not belong to the county will be put into a 2nd roll off dumpster today.

This is in addition to the dumpster that was being filled yesterday with anything in the area of the rodent issue.

This would include a wide variety of donations given by the public.

Towels, pet beds, treats, toys, comfort items, etc.

All PHS items had to be removed.... furniture, pictures, that nice flat screen television that MISTY worked so hard to raise funds for.

no. drastic. changes.

I trust what they are doing will benefit the animals in the end.

I pray that you are right.

Edited by shelterpetsrock!

Update:

Thursday May 20th.

Anything inside the building that does not belong to the county will be put into a 2nd roll off dumpster today.

This is in addition to the dumpster that was being filled yesterday with anything in the area of the rodent issue.

All PHS items had to be removed.... furniture, pictures, that nice flat screen television that MISTY worked so hard to raise funds for.

no. drastic. changes.

Okay, so the whole place gets cleaned out, fumigated, painted/repaired, and a new set of standards are put into place so that the shelter operates in a way that benefits both the strays and the humans who visit the shelter. In a few weeks, it reopens, operating under a new paradigm, called competence. I think that, given the severity of the reported infestation to the point of being a health hazard, remedial efforts are underway to bring it back to code and those efforts should be supported, if not applauded!

Kudos to those who have undertaken this task for the good of Pauding County!

• Like 1

Update:

Thursday May 20th.

no. drastic. changes.

I would think if something is infested you would have to throw everything out! That is what I would do if I had a problem. Kind of like if you have a mold problem. You do not want to keep anything because it could have mold on it. Why risk that?

I am sure you are a huge animal lover and I am sure change is hard for some of you. I do feel however this is for the better. I think you need to look at the bigger picture and just not at the fact that people have came in to redo everything that you all worked so hard for. I am sure you all did a wonderful job with what you had to work with, but unfortunatly the situation is what it is. Sometimes it is better to start all over. Good Luck to you and do not let this make you stop doing what you love to do. I think you do need to move forward because all of these emails that you are posting seem to just give a negative vibe about the shelter when you all worked so hard to have a postive one. If Southern Hope has such a problem with this maybe they should offer to work together while the shelter is closed. I mean it is about the animals right?

Edited by CarolineElizabeth

Okay, so the whole place gets cleaned out, fumigated, painted/repaired, and a new set of standards are put into place so that the shelter operates in a way that benefits both the strays and the humans who visit the shelter. In a few weeks, it reopens, operating under a new paradigm, called competence. I think that, given the severity of the reported infestation to the point of being a health hazard, remedial efforts are underway to bring it back to code and those efforts should be supported, if not applauded!

Kudos to those who have undertaken this task for the good of Pauding County!

Could you post a link as to what "code" you are refering to - just curious. Again, I have no issue with change but this seems like typical overeaction by the suits in charge. Are you actually suggesting the shelter was run by someone that was incompetent because they had rats where their is large quanity of pet food stored? Really?

I think a lot of people that are so grossed out or think this rat problem is so easy to solve have ZERO experience working an enviroment like a shelter or a farm...just a hunch.

So you think you got one in the back well how does it fill you are very good at doing that to others!!!!

ah ha... now we hear the other side. Your 1st amendment rights makes the mouth open when the brain is not in gear. The same thing has happened to me and probably all of us at some point. It is a no win for everyone, but no one wants constant tension and complaining around when you trying to do a job. They don't pay enough no matter how much it is.

if they're ripping out the ceiling and rewiring, it would make sense that everything has to be removed, for it's own safe keeping.

when we remodeled out basement, we have to take everything out. some of it was stored and brought back in, some of it was trashed.

why is it drastic to clean out a construction area?

if they're ripping out the ceiling and rewiring, it would make sense that everything has to be removed, for it's own safe keeping.

when we remodeled out basement, we have to take everything out. some of it was stored and brought back in, some of it was trashed.

why is it drastic to clean out a construction area?

Rats are notorious for chewing on wiring, so it's likely that there are safety issues with electricity. Tearing out ceilings is best done in hazmat suits due to poison dust from previous eradication efforts.

I think that two weeks downtime may be a little optimistic!

Oh yeah - Lots of times they find SNAKES in the ceilings and walls! They feed on the rats. And the SNAKES get really big!!

Update:

Thursday May 20th.

no. drastic. changes.

I would think if something is infested you would have to throw everything out! That is what I would do if I had a problem. Kind of like if you have a mold problem. You do not want to keep anything because it could have mold on it. Why risk that?

I am sure you are a huge animal lover and I am sure change is hard for some of you. I do feel however this is for the better. I think you need to look at the bigger picture and just not at the fact that people have came in to redo everything that you all worked so hard for. I am sure you all did a wonderful job with what you had to work with, but unfortunatly the situation is what it is. Sometimes it is better to start all over. Good Luck to you and do not let this make you stop doing what you love to do. I think you do need to move forward because all of these emails that you are posting seem to just give a negative vibe about the shelter when you all worked so hard to have a postive one. If Southern Hope has such a problem with this maybe they should offer to work together while the shelter is closed. I mean it is about the animals right?

I'm not exactly sure how pictures, pet toys, treats, etc. could be infested with rats. Furniture and pet beds, maybe.

I understand it being cleaned out if they're doing an overhaul of the place, but to the dumpster?

I've donated treats and toys to the shelter...good to know the money I spent is literally going into the trash. :blink:

Could you post a link as to what "code" you are refering to - just curious. Again, I have no issue with change but this seems like typical overeaction by the suits in charge. Are you actually suggesting the shelter was run by someone that was incompetent because they had rats where their is large quanity of pet food stored? Really?

I think a lot of people that are so grossed out or think this rat problem is so easy to solve have ZERO experience working an enviroment like a shelter or a farm...just a hunch.

Of course, it's incompetent to store pet food in anything but covered containers! They had a rat infestation BECAUSE they didn't have proper containers for the pet food. The management let it slide until it became a matter of public human and pet health. I can't imagine what's more inept than poor organization to the point of health contamination!

I wasn't refering to any specific "code". If I had said, "up to speed", would you have inquired about MPH?

I'm not exactly sure how pictures, pet toys, treats, etc. could be infested with rats. Furniture and pet beds, maybe.

I understand it being cleaned out if they're doing an overhaul of the place, but to the dumpster?

I've donated treats and toys to the shelter...good to know the money I spent is literally going into the trash. blink.gif

If there's rats, there's likely roaches, too. Yeah, to the dumpster with anything that might have animal or insect filth or provide a breeding ground for them.

Of course, it's incompetent to store pet food in anything but covered containers! They had a rat infestation BECAUSE they didn't have proper containers for the pet food. The management let it slide until it became a matter of public human and pet health. I can't imagine what's more inept than poor organization to the point of health contamination!

I wasn't refering to any specific "code". If I had said, "up to speed", would you have inquired about MPH?

man you must never have had many rats. those things will chew right though just about any container.

Wow, things sure have changed. I never saw food that was not covered or still sealed in its bags when I was there. Nor have a read that to be the case here, do you know this for fact or is it an assumption like the giant snakes, roaches and other stuff you are posting about? I think some people are really starting to mix up rumor, assumptions and facts which is not helping the situation.

Assuming you are 100% correct (which no one every is) I still see no need to waste money in changing over which county organzation runs the shelter, and rest assured it takes money. Fire the manager, get a new one, clean the mess, fund it properly (or actually open a shelter like the other countys have) for the new manager and move on. Transitioning to a complete new system, all new employees and staff etc seems like a big waste of tax payer money, but hey if thats what ya'll wanna spend it on feel free.

man you must never have had many rats. those things will chew right though just about any container.

Yup. No such thing as "rat proof". Grandfather had a horse farm and his feed containers ALWAYS had holes in them from rats, and other critters, its a fact of life. Like I said before I suspect those that think this will go away are in for a BIG surprise and most likely have little working knowlege of places were a lot of animals live. Where their is animal feed there will be rats, you can control the number which it sounds like wasn't done very well (and why the manager should at least be investigated if not terminated), but you will have them.

Yup. No such thing as "rat proof". Grandfather had a horse farm and his feed containers ALWAYS had holes in them from rats, and other critters, its a fact of life. Like I said before I suspect those that think this will go away are in for a BIG surprise and most likely have little working knowlege of places were a lot of animals live. Where their is animal feed there will be rats, you can control the number which it sounds like wasn't done very well (and why the manager should at least be investigated if not terminated), but you will have them.

But apparently they can live in rubber and rope chew toys. :rolleyes:

But apparently they can live in rubber and rope chew toys. :rolleyes:

The rope I can understand, dogs could drag them through rat droppings etc and there is no way to steralize it. The rubber can easily be washed and steralized. Treats could be saved as long as the bag container didn't show damage, same with food, kitty liter etc. All of this will cost money to replace and some could be saved I'm sure. Unless there is electrical issues with the TV there is no reason to throw it out - that SCREAMS power trip if they are infact getting rid of it. Damage to furniture is obvious, no need to just throw it away.

Personally, I would love to hear from someone that could give an objective opinon on how bad it really is/was. To hear it from some folks it was like a biblical plague. I have trouble buying that. I'm sure there were issues that needed to be adressed but this seems like a push for votes come November, I'm just saying.

What type of containers are you referring to? Would you go by the shelter and see if the new people in control have purchased the appropriate materials/containers and open all the bags and put the food items in there. I am sure if they are investing this much money in cleaning up they are taking the steps to prevent the food being a source of nourishment for any new rats that may come in. I am really curious to see if they go to this effort and expense. Be sure to update us on the steps they have taken to put these containers in place.

Sounds like you know a lot about the shelter well I do to I know that the RAT problem has been at that shelter for over a year and a half and not one thing was done about it

just well there are RATS at the shelter so what.No one thought about the people that came in and out much less about the people that work there!!!

Sounds like you know a lot about the shelter well I do to I know that the RAT problem has been at that shelter for over a year and a half and not one thing was done about it

just well there are RATS at the shelter so what.No one thought about the people that came in and out much less about the people that work there!!!

Actually I know very little about the Paulding shelter but I have worked/volenteered at farms, shelters all my life - I realize there are certain things that have to be dealt with, rats being one of them, when you have animals. Over a year? Really? I dropped off food etc and never saw a rat while I was there. When the state did their inspection when the animals were sick if this was such an issue why was it not brought up then if it was such an obvious issue. Seems if it was that bad they would have forced the clean up before reopening that time around? Just food for thought.

Y'all keep talking but saying nothing. This is what i gather so far, please correct if wrong:

The Animal Control program was run by civilian county workers. "WHO" didn't like the way it was being handled? Had too much personnal stuff in the building? Let the rat problem grow into a hazard. Wouldn't listen to suggestions to improve conditions. So,

'who" had the Marshal dept. do a hostle take over and fire the workers. let volunteers go. Some of which are now pissed off. Now who is in charge over there? When THEY finish with the construction and extermination, will they still need volunteers to walk the dogs?

When I dropped off some stuff it did smell of urine in the lobby. but I only been there twice. which both times it smelled pretty bad. just saying.

Can someone fill us in on what really is going on?

HEY NOW…stop the discrimination. I thought it was an ANIMAL shelter. Arent rats, mice and snakes animals also? Don't they have a RIGHT to shelter? >>>>>>>>JESSIE>>>>>>>>>>>Rev.SHARPTON>>>>>>>>>>>

Edited by wcso84

HEY NOW…stop the discrimination. I thought it was an ANIMAL shelter. Aren’t rats, mice and snakes animals also? Don't they have a RIGHT to shelter? >>>>>>>>JESSIE>>>>>>>>>>>Rev.SHARPTON>>>>>>>>>>>

Are you saying the same folks who want it to be a no kill shelter want to KILL rats, mice and snakes? Isn't that hypocritical?

Well, now, Paulding County ain't the ONLY county in GA to have an animal shelter and I'm not hearing about RAT INFESTATIONS in other counties..and lots of other counties have Buildings a lot older then the one we have here so they should have more of a problem then WE have...now I'm not a rocket scientist but don't need to be to see that SOMETHING wasn't being handled right here that got us into this mess....I'm just sayin...

Y'all keep talking but saying nothing. This is what i gather so far, please correct if wrong:

The Animal Control program was run by civilian county workers. "WHO" didn't like the way it was being handled? Had too much personnal stuff in the building? Let the rat problem grow into a hazard. Wouldn't listen to suggestions to improve conditions. So,

'who" had the Marshal dept. do a hostle take over and fire the workers. let volunteers go. Some of which are now pissed off. Now who is in charge over there? When THEY finish with the construction and extermination, will they still need volunteers to walk the dogs?

When I dropped off some stuff it did smell of urine in the lobby. but I only been there twice. which both times it smelled pretty bad. just saying.

Can someone fill us in on what really is going on?

Animal Control was originally under the Paulding Department of Public Safety along with E-911 and the Marshal's Office. The DPS was absolved a couple of years ago and the public safety agencies were reassigned, that left AC as a solo entity and they did not really 'report' to anyone. Apparently in those two years the situation took a dramatic turn for the worse so the BOC determined the proper course was to place them under the Marshal's Office for accountability.

Animal Control was originally under the Paulding Department of Public Safety along with E-911 and the Marshal's Office. The DPS was absolved a couple of years ago and the public safety agencies were reassigned, that left AC as a solo entity and they did not really 'report' to anyone. Apparently in those two years the situation took a dramatic turn for the worse so the BOC determined the proper course was to place them under the Marshal's Office for accountability.

There was not a dramatic turn for the worse. The building has rats that are always very hard to control especially in an old building. They have been working understaffed for two years while still improving complaints, strays and adoptions and the cost to the taxpayers. Its about time somebody finally decided to put some money and more help into the place.

Edited by benji

Well, now, Paulding County ain't the ONLY county in GA to have an animal shelter and I'm not hearing about RAT INFESTATIONS in other counties..and lots of other counties have Buildings a lot older then the one we have here so they should have more of a problem then WE have...now I'm not a rocket scientist but don't need to be to see that SOMETHING wasn't being handled right here that got us into this mess....I'm just sayin...

I think you just have not heard about it because all animal controls have to deal with rats and a lot of them have to do this very same thing.