Paulding.com

Is This What Happens When You Disagree With Paulding Co? (Animal Control)

Hello all.

I would like to take a moment to share with everyone what happens when you disagree with Paulding County.

I will do my best to keep the following as free of opinion as possible, only to include factual statements.

I have been a Paulding Humane & shelter volunteer since moving here in June 2004.

I became an employee in June 2008.

I adored my job. Loved it. Loved my fellow co-workers. Still continued to volunteer on off days, etc.

Approx 4 weeks ago, we were informed that animal control was going back under the umbrella of the Marshall's office.

Our director was demoted.

We were told that no drastic changes would be made.

Within the first week, our office pets were removed. (we split them up & took them home)

Again, no drastic changes would be made.

The kennel staff & road officers were split into - answering not to each other, but only themselves, and their direct supervisor.

hmm.... no drastic changes are going to be made.

We are closing on May 28th for renovations. (May/June is the bulk of kitten/puppy season)

Residents of Paulding County cannot turn in strays after May 21st.

I turned in my letter of resignation.

Here is a copy of my letter:

dated May 11,2010

Dear ______,

I, _____, resign from Pualding County Animal Control as of May 11, 2010. I am more than willing to work through a two week period (to end on May 24,2010) to allow for scheduling in my absence.

I would like to take a moment to acknowledge what a wonderful and educational experience it has been to work for you as my supervisor. You have always gone above and beyond what has been tasked to you within our county shelter.

Unfortunately, I am very concerned with the direction our county is heading with it's "reorganization" of Animal Control. I feel that from day one, our new "management" has swooped in, without concern for how or why we perform our jobs the way we do, and changed procedures without the knowledge or education to support these changes. I feel that this new "management" has created a division in staff, causing animosity and a polarizing effect, whereas previously, we all worked as a team. I see these unneccessary changes in management, as well as procedure, causing detriment to the homeless/lost pets of Paulding County. My purpose has always been, and will remain, to be a voice for those that have none, therefore, I can not in good conscience continue to work in an atmosphere that suffocates the very essence of what I believe in.

Sincerely,

_____

I just voluntarily worked the busiest weekend of my life! Never asking to be paid, never expecting anything in return because it was the most amazing experience.

Today, I am told that I am no longer needed to work out the remainder of my notice. I am no longer needed in any volunteer compasity.

no

drastic

changes.

• Like 2

Do you want some cheese with that wine! :angry2:

We are in the middle of a economic down turn unlike any we have seen. Get a grip!

So you would think, while being in 'an economic down turn unlike any we have seen' (which I'm sure my grandmother would whole-heartedly disagree with), that they would want volunteers...not turn them away because they disagree with behind-the-scenes action of being employed there.

We are in the middle of a economic down turn unlike any we have seen. Get a grip!

You do understand that in bad times and running on a lean staff SHOULD actually make an organization appreciate volunteers more than ever? Seems to me it is possible that you have lost your grip. :pardon:

• Like 5

Since you followed the rules and put in a notice and they have told you that you are no longer needed--go apply fo that weeks unemployment. Since they have allowed you not to complete your given notice--you are allowed to draw. At least somebody in the county will have to do a little extra work---and it is all their fault.

There has always been a "god" syndrome--even with some of AC's management. I have witnessed it in years past. I know that folks praise them for what they do--and yes, most of it is warranted, but there have been things to happen years ago that puts a whole new light on things.

• Like 1

What a absolute heartless thing to say......UNBELIEVABLE!! :angry: Some people are doing jobs for the RIGHT reasons and have compassion in doing so. That is obvoiusly the case of the OP. Too bad everyone can't have the same attitude. tin sandwich, you need to get a grip on compassion!! :angry:

• Like 1

I'm still trying to figure out what this has to do with the first amendment. :blink:

Absolutely NOTHING...However, it is very indicative of the major cut-backs in ALL sectors of government jobs in P.C.

(and before anyone tries to hit on the 'govm't' jobs item, please know my first thought was govm't run animal shelters and clinics). Let the rest lie where they may. We all have our opinions, but experience has shown me that "some" govm't run programs are GOOD for the whole....not the one. Lest I quote Spock, directly. ;)

"the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one"

Since you followed the rules and put in a notice and they have told you that you are no longer needed--go apply fo that weeks unemployment. Since they have allowed you not to complete your given notice--you are allowed to draw. At least somebody in the county will have to do a little extra work---and it is all their fault.

There has always been a "god" syndrome--even with some of AC's management. I have witnessed it in years past. I know that folks praise them for what they do--and yes, most of it is warranted, but there have been things to happen years ago that puts a whole new light on things.

Having tried my best to interpret what you're saying, I can only say that I have spent 3 years since my layoff, watching big (but hurting) companies lay off the highest paid (and most experienced workers) only to replace them with young bucks in an effort to save their asses....only see them fall (or be bought out by the Chinese---they pay BIG BUCKS for American flops) by hiring young fresh out-of-school, inexperienced kids who would work for pennies on the dollar. What a SCREWED UP concept that was!!!! These kids (bless their hearts) were tossed in over their heads, and by no fault of their own, have been making companies collaspe....POOR ASS quality, and leadership. That's a key word as well as a folly now...LEADERSHIP...lay off the older folks, and this is what you get. I don't blame the young bucks..I blame the idiot owners who made such a stupid decision...it was so wide-spread too..like a virus. A lot of promising owners lost their minds in their attempt to save their companies. (by eliminating elder "teachers" for those young folks). Shame on them....for now. IF we get back on our feet again and do it again, then shame on US~~

Freedom of speech in the United States is protected by the First Amendment to the United States Constitution.

As you can read in my letter, I voluntarily resigned because I disagreed with the direction the county was going.

I was not asked to leave, nor was I terminated.

Actually, I was asked to stay by the same individual that now states that I am no longer welcome to volunteer.

Why is that? Is it simply because I disagree? Is it because I don't know how to play their political games?

I am not interested in the politics involved. My only interest is furry and has four legs. Period.

I am not hostile. I am not disgruntled. I simply want to go back to doing what's important.

Is this what happens in Paulding County when you disagree with someone? Do they just shut the door in your face and tell you that you're not welcome anymore?

Who does it affect the most if I'm not welcome to do what I've done for 6 years now? Who does it hurt when I can't take cats or dogs to the local schools to give a speech about spaying & neutering your pets? Who does it hurt if I can't give the Scouts or the Special Ed students a tour? Who does it hurt if I can't do off site adoptions?

I can go on to other counties. There are dogs and cats in shelters all across the nation.

but I'm not welcome to help in the shelter of my own town? The town I own a home in. The town I pay taxes in. The town I vote in.

Who gives the marshall's office the athority to decide which citizens can volunteer?

Who do I go to now?

• Like 2

Freedom of speech in the United States is protected by the First Amendment to the United States Constitution.

As you can read in my letter, I voluntarily resigned because I disagreed with the direction the county was going.

Actually, I was asked to stay by the same individual that now states that I am no longer welcome to volunteer.

Why is that? Is it simply because I disagree? Is it because I don't know how to play their political games?

I am not interested in the politics involved. My only interest is furry and has four legs. Period.

I am not hostile. I am not disgruntled. I simply want to go back to doing what's important.

Is this what happens in Paulding County when you disagree with someone? Do they just shut the door in your face and tell you that you're not welcome anymore?

Who does it affect the most if I'm not welcome to do what I've done for 6 years now? Who does it hurt when I can't take cats or dogs to the local schools to give a speech about spaying & neutering your pets? Who does it hurt if I can't give the Scouts or the Special Ed students a tour? Who does it hurt if I can't do off site adoptions?

I can go on to other counties. There are dogs and cats in shelters all across the nation.

but I'm not welcome to help in the shelter of my own town? The town I own a home in. The town I pay taxes in. The town I vote in.

Who gives the marshall's office the athority to decide which citizens can volunteer?

Who do I go to now?

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Who do I go to now?

Let me make sure that I understand the situation correctly. You wished to resign your paid position because you did not agree with the way that things had been restructured, yet you desired to stay on as a volunteer who utilizes her rights to free speech under the Constitution?

Now, this is the shelter that had the rat problem, right? The infestation was so pervasive that eradication led to possibly hundreds of dead rats in the walls and ceilings, causing a health hazard, as well as a horrible smell of rotting rat corpses in the heat of the day.

It seems to me that the "team approach" to problem solving just didn't work, in this instance. Who, in this rotting-rat snafu, is accountable for letting the situation get so bad? Could it be - the person who was demoted? Isn't this as it should be?

It just seems like to me that the place NEEDS restructuring, in terms of setting a chain of command and getting the physical house in order. In my opinion, the reason that they do not want you around anymore has to do with the need to move away from the old, flawed (obviously!) hierarchy (or lack of it), as well as ridding themselves of proponents of the previously disasterous system who would undermine reconstructive efforts.

That's what it seems like to me.

• Like 7

Let me make sure that I understand the situation correctly. You wished to resign your paid position because you did not agree with the way that things had been restructured, yet you desired to stay on as a volunteer who utilizes her rights to free speech under the Constitution?

Now, this is the shelter that had the rat problem, right? The infestation was so pervasive that eradication led to possibly hundreds of dead rats in the walls and ceilings, causing a health hazard, as well as a horrible smell of rotting rat corpses in the heat of the day.

It seems to me that the "team approach" to problem solving just didn't work, in this instance. Who, in this rotting-rat snafu, is accountable for letting the situation get so bad? Could it be - the person who was demoted? Isn't this as it should be?

It just seems like to me that the place NEEDS restructuring, in terms of setting a chain of command and getting the physical house in order. In my opinion, the reason that they do not want you around anymore has to do with the need to move away from the old, flawed (obviously!) hierarchy (or lack of it), as well as ridding themselves of proponents of the previously disasterous system who would undermine reconstructive efforts.

smile.gifBRAVO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

I'm still trying to figure out what this has to do with the first amendment. blink.gif

I think that the OP is asserting that she has a right to stay on as a naysayer volunteer, one that would undermine efforts to restructure the shelter in terms of accountability.

I take the contrary opinion that she has no such right, that the marshall's office is empowered to clean out the shelter of both the vermin and any volunteers who would stand in the way of positive change.

It seems like to me if the OP had her way, the rats would still be running the place!

:clapping: :good:

A thought :

I remember when I was adopting my dog years ago. We saw rats running around outside through the cages. So creepy.

I think that the OP is asserting that she has a right to stay on as a naysayer volunteer, one that would undermine efforts to restructure the shelter in terms of accountability.

I take the contrary opinion that she has no such right, that the marshall's office is empowered to clean out the shelter of both the vermin and any volunteers who would stand in the way of positive change.

It seems like to me if the OP had her way, the rats would still be running the place!

holy.crap.

Who do I go to now?

I feel for ya, but i still don't see how this is a 1st Amendment issue. The government isn't preventing you from making a statement, but they are saying they don't want you working for them in any capacity.

I think you are 100% justified in feeling shut out, but it still isn't a 1st Amendment or any kind of "rights" issue, and trying to connect one to the other weakens your overall case.

Good luck to you.

-PM

BRAVO ONCE AGAIN !!!!!!!!

That's the beauty of the 1st amendment, you can say anything you want to. You must also keep in mind your boss doesn't have to keep you employed and they certainly have the say in who volunteers. Be careful what you say, it can have serious consequences. ;)

A team is a great thing, it is totally satisfying to achieve goals with a group of like minded people. It's a little difficult to achieve those goals when one person insists theirs is the "best" way to handle it.

I love this quote by Andrew Carnegie

"Teamwork is the fuel that allows common people to attain uncommon results."

Andrew Carnegie

Having tried my best to interpret what you're saying, I can only say that I have spent 3 years since my layoff, watching big (but hurting) companies lay off the highest paid (and most experienced workers) only to replace them with young bucks in an effort to save their asses....only see them fall (or be bought out by the Chinese---they pay BIG BUCKS for American flops) by hiring young fresh out-of-school, inexperienced kids who would work for pennies on the dollar. What a SCREWED UP concept that was!!!! These kids (bless their hearts) were tossed in over their heads, and by no fault of their own, have been making companies collaspe....POOR ASS quality, and leadership. That's a key word as well as a folly now...LEADERSHIP...lay off the older folks, and this is what you get. I don't blame the young bucks..I blame the idiot owners who made such a stupid decision...it was so wide-spread too..like a virus. A lot of promising owners lost their minds in their attempt to save their companies. (by eliminating elder "teachers" for those young folks). Shame on them....for now. IF we get back on our feet again and do it again, then shame on US~~

But, but Subby! Everyone knows that an educated kid is worth much more than some old greybeard with 30 - 40 years of experience (nevermind the years of education that greybeard has absorbed in his work experience). :rolleyes:

That's the beauty of the 1st amendment, you can say anything you want to. You must also keep in mind your boss doesn't have to keep you employed and they certainly have the say in who volunteers. Be careful what you say, it can have serious consequences. ;)

A team is a great thing, it is totally satisfying to achieve goals with a group of like minded people. It's a little difficult to achieve those goals when one person insists theirs is the "best" way to handle it.

I love this quote by Andrew Carnegie

"Teamwork is the fuel that allows common people to attain uncommon results."

Andrew Carnegie

My thoughts exactly. We have the "right" to say what we want, without being thrown in jail. I cannot say whatever I want at my job, and expect no consequences.

I do think that "free" help is good help on a volunteer basis. The OP may be taking offense to changes being made, that were no fault of her/his own. The condition of the facility may or may not have been a result of the OP's performance. Change is hard sometimes, but oftentimes in the end, it turns out better. Its always best not to react immediatly, and instead wait and see it all play out, then make a decision.

You may have first amendment rights to free speech, but you also have to face the consequences of what you say. Sometimes those consequences are being asked to leave.

So true! I think that many people don't understand the Bill of Rights, the context in which they were designed, and the limitations and implications associated with them.

I think that you nailed the issue with the word, "consequences"!

My thoughts exactly. We have the "right" to say what we want, without being thrown in jail. I cannot say whatever I want at my job, and expect no consequences.

I do think that "free" help is good help on a volunteer basis. The OP may be taking offense to changes being made, that were no fault of her/his own. The condition of the facility may or may not have been a result of the OP's performance. Change is hard sometimes, but oftentimes in the end, it turns out better. Its always best not to react immediatly, and instead wait and see it all play out, then make a decision.

Get out of my head, change can always be made into a positive. Embrace change and it can be wonderful. I guess it depends on whether your glass is 1/2 full or 1/2 empty. ;)

I'm really sorry for you....My husband two weeks ago has been transferred after 17 years of hard, LOYAL, dedicated work. I do believe it was to bring in someone they could pay less..It's just a real bad time in this world right now. Why take someone less experince for Hard, LOYAL, DEDICATED WORK...I just don't get it. I guess everything boils down to money..What a shame. We know your heart is in the right place.

• Like 1

I'm really sorry for you....My husband two weeks ago has been transferred after 17 years of hard, LOYAL, dedicated work. I do believe it was to bring in someone they could pay less..It's just a real bad time in this world right now. Why take someone less experince for Hard, LOYAL, DEDICATED WORK...I just don't get it. I guess everything boils down to money..What a shame. We know your heart is in the right place.

She quit. She wasn't terminated. Then she wanted to stay on as a volunteer. That's when they told her that her services weren't needed anymore. I can't imagine anyone quitting a job and then wanting to stay at the job for no pay. Unless that is, the person didn't really need the money, quit because she didn't like reporting to a supervisor, but wanted to stay doing what she was previously doing without having to answer to anyone.

I was once a supervisor of an employee who, on her last day of employment, said - "I don't need you to tell me what to do".

Oh, yeah -- when you said, "WE know your heart is in the right place" - Who is "WE"? I'm not used to individuals speaking in plural!

• Like 1

She quit. She wasn't terminated. Then she wanted to stay on as a volunteer. That's when they told her that her services weren't needed anymore. I can't imagine anyone quitting a job and then wanting to stay at the job for no pay. Unless that is, the person didn't really need the money, quit because she didn't like reporting to a supervisor, but wanted to stay doing what she was previously doing without having to answer to anyone.

I was once a supervisor of an employee who, on her last day of employment, said - "I don't need you to tell me what to do".

Oh, yeah -- when you said, "WE know your heart is in the right place" - Who is "WE"? I'm not used to individuals speaking in plural!

You're on the ball today ES !!!!!!

clapping.gif

Just want to point out that a lot of folks who think they have 30 years of experience have about a year of experience, repeated 30 times. They have developed one skillset but have failed to recognize that one skillset is not enough anymore.

I have known many wonderful people who did not keep growing. They deepened a skillset until they were truly experts... and when the use of that skillset became less necessary due to business changes, they blamed the business for hiring people with the needed skills - often younger - and blamed it on lack of respect for the older worker instead of seeing that they had failed to keep up. Sometimes letting people go is necessary to keep the business afloat and employing anyone at all.

That's not always the case, but similarly it's not always the case that workers are let go due to greedy ol' age discriminators.

Back on topic - I hate that relations went sour. Start your own animal care facility if you don't like the way others manage it. Nobody has a right to any volunteer position, and likewise no organization should think it has a right to an unlimited supply of volunteers. You stay as long as the benefit is mutual. Sounds like you reached the end of that run. Good luck with your next adventure! :)

• Like 1

Hello all.

I would like to take a moment to share with everyone what happens when you disagree with Paulding County.

I will do my best to keep the following as free of opinion as possible, only to include factual statements.

I have been a Paulding Humane & shelter volunteer since moving here in June 2004.

I became an employee in June 2008.

I adored my job. Loved it. Loved my fellow co-workers. Still continued to volunteer on off days, etc.

Approx 4 weeks ago, we were informed that animal control was going back under the umbrella of the Marshall's office.

Our director was demoted.

We were told that no drastic changes would be made.

Within the first week, our office pets were removed. (we split them up & took them home)

Again, no drastic changes would be made.

The kennel staff & road officers were split into - answering not to each other, but only themselves, and their direct supervisor.

hmm.... no drastic changes are going to be made.

We are closing on May 28th for renovations. (May/June is the bulk of kitten/puppy season)

Residents of Paulding County cannot turn in strays after May 21st.

I turned in my letter of resignation.

Here is a copy of my letter:

dated May 11,2010

Dear ______,

I, _____, resign from Pualding County Animal Control as of May 11, 2010. I am more than willing to work through a two week period (to end on May 24,2010) to allow for scheduling in my absence.

I would like to take a moment to acknowledge what a wonderful and educational experience it has been to work for you as my supervisor. You have always gone above and beyond what has been tasked to you within our county shelter.

Unfortunately, I am very concerned with the direction our county is heading with it's "reorganization" of Animal Control. I feel that from day one, our new "management" has swooped in, without concern for how or why we perform our jobs the way we do, and changed procedures without the knowledge or education to support these changes. I feel that this new "management" has created a division in staff, causing animosity and a polarizing effect, whereas previously, we all worked as a team. I see these unneccessary changes in management, as well as procedure, causing detriment to the homeless/lost pets of Paulding County. My purpose has always been, and will remain, to be a voice for those that have none, therefore, I can not in good conscience continue to work in an atmosphere that suffocates the very essence of what I believe in.

Sincerely,

_____

I just voluntarily worked the busiest weekend of my life! Never asking to be paid, never expecting anything in return because it was the most amazing experience.

Today, I am told that I am no longer needed to work out the remainder of my notice. I am no longer needed in any volunteer compasity.

no

drastic

changes.

So you think you got one in the back well how does it fill you are very good at doing that to others!!!!

Edited by beagleman1
  • Like 1

You may have first amendment rights to free speech, but you also have to face the consequences of what you say. Sometimes those consequences are being asked to leave.

I used my 1st amendment rights one day, right out of high school, about the company I worked for. They then used their 1st amendment rights and fired my butt! :angry2:

Note to self: 1st Amendment does not apply to employment. That's why I'm now self-employed!

• Like 3

Just want to point out that a lot of folks who think they have 30 years of experience have about a year of experience, repeated 30 times. They have developed one skillset but have failed to recognize that one skillset is not enough anymore.

I have known many wonderful people who did not keep growing. They deepened a skillset until they were truly experts... and when the use of that skillset became less necessary due to business changes, they blamed the business for hiring people with the needed skills - often younger - and blamed it on lack of respect for the older worker instead of seeing that they had failed to keep up. Sometimes letting people go is necessary to keep the business afloat and employing anyone at all.

That's not always the case, but similarly it's not always the case that workers are let go due to greedy ol' age discriminators.

Back on topic - I hate that relations went sour. Start your own animal care facility if you don't like the way others manage it. Nobody has a right to any volunteer position, and likewise no organization should think it has a right to an unlimited supply of volunteers. You stay as long as the benefit is mutual. Sounds like you reached the end of that run. Good luck with your next adventure! :)

I would have to disagree with some of what you said, although I fully see your point (and have seen it many times over my years). In my former career, it was essential to keep up with technology (even though it bit us in the ass several times- namely using new formats that were loaded with bugs, which were finally straightened out. But the premise of my former job did not fall into the category you're talking about. The biggest problem I noticed with using AUTOCAD (Automated drafting and design software) was that they were trying to build software that a drunk monkey could operate (supposedly). It still came down to the same thing- if you didn't have what it took to draw and "see" 3-dimensionally, then you were a waste of space.

The best co-workers I grew up with, learned how to draw using pens (ink and Mylar), as well as using a good old fashioned H.P. "logical" calculator (the kind with no = button...used an ENTER button instead, and could be programmed to run a variety of functions and programs that are still used today...only on a computer.) Being a pianist all my life, I came to realize that it was a "talent" I was blessed with...or for those who don't believe in the idea of "blessed", let's say just had a natural talent for. Drawing, be it technical, art, or even just cartoon characters, is the exact same thing. You either "get it" or you don't. It came quite natural to me, as I drew a lot of art work since I was in 2nd or 3rd grade. Being able to "envision" something....in my case, let's say a piece of natural land, that had to be graded out to produce a subdivision, running utilities, and maintaining the current codes, as they changed each year....I'm sorry, but too many people got it in their heads that the computer could do all the work, so they would hire kids who were GREAT at working on computers, but SUCKED at envisioning the terrain. A computer is only as smart as the man or woman operating it.

Like I said...I know exactly what your point is, and it is common. It's just non-existent in my former career. You can be the best math whiz in the world, but without the innate ability to "see" things, and know how to display them, and modify them (a civil engineer), you're not much good to developing land...or drawing up house plans, or poopy plants (yes, I worked on designs for those for 2 years when I got started).

I spent the past few years of my career watching owners hire people who only had the comp skills, but no grasp on what the big picture was....all to save a buck. Sure, there were some GREAT young folks that were hired, who had that innate talent, but they were very few.