Paulding.com

Paulding: The race is on for DA, State Senate and GA House

There will be a race for at least two of Paulding's state house seats and the District Attorney's race

With a little more than a day and a half left for qualifying, candidates have emerged to contest the State Senate seat held by Bill Heath and the House seat occupied by Daniel Stout. Two announced candidates for the office of District Attorney for the Paulding Judicial district have also qualified to challenge incumbent Drew Lane. 

Sen. Bill Heath, who came to prominance by defeating then Speaker of the House Tom Murphy and gained election to the senate in 2004, is facing a challenge in the Republican Primary by a sixty-eight year old Tallapoosa businessman Pete Bridges,  The two will compete for the Republican primary on July 20, 2010. 

Rep. Daniel Stout, 29, who is rumored to face a challenge in the Republican Primary, currently is not opposed for the Republican nomination but another 29 year old, Will Avery, a student, has thrown his hat in the ring as a Democrat. Stout lists his occupation as a banker and works in a bank in Smyrna. Reports are that Paulette Braddock and/or another candidate are also planning to enter this race. Stout won the seat, vacated by former speaker Glenn Richardson, in a special election after Richardson was unable to weather ethical issues surrounding his divorce and an attempted suicide.

Local attorney's Chad Plumley and Dick Donovan are qualified to challenge incumbent Drew Lane for the office of district attorney for the Paulding judicial district.  Donovan, 64,  is making his second try at the office after losing to Lane four years ago in a runoff by less than hundred votes.  Plumley, 39, the newcomer in the race, is the son-in-law of former District Attorney and now retired Superior Court Judge Bill Foster. 

Click for RECENT TOPICS click for RECENT TOPICS click for RECENT TOPICS
  • Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I very much disagree with this statement. In my 30 years of working in the legal field with some very large Atlanta firms as well as smaller local firms, I have had the pleasure of working with some

Yeah, the hair, someone needs to tell him this isn't the 60s.   He has about as much of a chance of winning as earth being hit by an astroid.   Your Sinclair comment is absurd as well.

A good start would be, as I suggested before, to reduce the impact of high stakes testing in the classroom. All tests like the CRCT do is test how well a teacher can instruct a student to pass a test

Paulette has officially entered the race and her campaign is now in full-swing.

Apparently the SOS website hasn't updated, because she isn't listed there.

Any word on anyone else entering the 19th district race?

Apparently the SOS website hasn't updated, because she isn't listed there.

Any word on anyone else entering the 19th district race?

I am checking with her; her site is also up and announcement has been made.

I don't remember when qualifying ends but (nevermind)Melvin Everson is running for Labor Commissioner and he isn't listed yet either.

Edited by PraiseThee

Qualifying is a specific act and the candidate can wait until the last minute (shortly before noon on Friday) to pay their fees and 'qualify' ...

Qualifying is necessary to be listed on the ballot.

I suspect that the names you mentioned (Paulette) are waiting until Thursday or Friday to trek to the capitol to formally enter the race.

pubby

I'll be voting AGAINST Lane and Stout.

Out of the three running--Donovan will have my support. We all know that lane needs to go---he still has over 4000 cases sitting up there waiting to be tried. As far as Foster's son-in-law goes---he is riding on coat tails. How in the heck can you be a DA if you don't even practice criminal law???? Makes no sense to me at all.

Madea---stop by the office next Tuesday afternoon---fundraiser going on!!!

Out of the three running--Donovan will have my support. We all know that lane needs to go---he still has over 4000 cases sitting up there waiting to be tried. As far as Foster's son-in-law goes---he is riding on coat tails. How in the heck can you be a DA if you don't even practice criminal law???? Makes no sense to me at all.

I WILL!!! (Remind me! rofl.gif )

Someone needs to make Lane answer the tough questions! How many child molestation cases has his office EVER won? Should I be PC and say successfully prosecuted? Doesn't matter. Same answer.

How many DUIs dead docket each year?

He'll try and ride the Ewing trial. BUT, oh wait, he wasn't even qualified to prosecute it, an ADA did that case. That case was a ringer any way, that guy was going down regardless, too much evidence for him not to.

Not mine!!

The Governors race is what I am looking at,some tough choices there. :wacko:

Right now I kind of like the Ray Boyd fellow. I think the Georgia GOP shot themselves in the foot by refusing him without signing their "Oath". He will have no problem getting on the ballot as an Independent, and that is going to siphon a lot of votes away from the other GOP candidates.

Someone needs to make Lane answer the tough questions! How many child molestation cases has his office EVER won? Should I be PC and say successfully prosecuted? Doesn't matter. Same answer.

He'll try and ride the Ewing trial. BUT, oh wait, he wasn't even qualified to prosecute it, an ADA did that case. That case was a ringer any way, that guy was going down regardless, too much evidence for him not to.

:clapping:

Right now I kind of like the Ray Boyd fellow. I think the Georgia GOP shot themselves in the foot by refusing him without signing their "Oath". He will have no problem getting on the ballot as an Independent, and that is going to siphon a lot of votes away from the other GOP candidates.

More power to you. That's all we need. A Governor who knows absolutely nothing about the workings of government or the state's issues.

The Governors race is what I am looking at,some tough choices there. wacko.gif

I think these local races are extremely important. Especially considering that most folks don't realize they could very well be decided in this July primary and those thinking they will cast their vote in November may never have that chance.

I too will be voting against Dick Donovan. Please everyone do your homework on the background and ability of all these candidates. Don't just vote for the guy because he seems nice. smile.gif

From what I've seen, Drew Lane is nice. However, that office is a mess. Of the three running, quite frankly I find Dick Donovan the most qualified. Although I will confess to limited direct knowledge about Plumley. How would you suggest the research be carried out? It appears (on the surface) that people who are voting against Donovan have more personal issues than professional so I don't know how voters would get that information. And, I truly feel that a vote against Donovan is a vote for Lane and will put him right back in office and right back into the same mess we are currently in.

From what I've seen, Drew Lane is nice. However, that office is a mess. Of the three running, quite frankly I find Dick Donovan the most qualified. Although I will confess to limited direct knowledge about Plumley. How would you suggest the research be carried out? It appears (on the surface) that people who are voting against Donovan have more personal issues than professional so I don't know how voters would get that information. And, I truly feel that a vote against Donovan is a vote for Lane and will put him right back in office and right back into the same mess we are currently in.

Well said!!!

As I said in a previous post---how in the world do you think you can be a District Attorney if you don't practice criminal law??? That is kind of like going to a dermatologist to get your gall bladder removed???? Most attorneys have their mind set in law school as to what kind of law they want to practice. If I needed an attorney---I would certainly look for someone that has a specialty. I would NEVER use someone that dabbles in various kinds of law.

Well said!!!

As I said in a previous post---how in the world do you think you can be a District Attorney if you don't practice criminal law??? That is kind of like going to a dermatologist to get your gall bladder removed???? Most attorneys have their mind set in law school as to what kind of law they want to practice. If I needed an attorney---I would certainly look for someone that has a specialty. I would NEVER use someone that dabbles in various kinds of law.

The average person fails to realize that attorneys specialize much the same way that doctors do.

and those who have never needed the services of a criminal law attorney fail to realize that Paulding has very few choices in that dept because the DAs office is in such a mess very few good attorneys will even bother coming out here.

If you want access to good legal options, the county offices that those people have to deal with need to operate professionally.

I think these local races are extremely important. Especially considering that most folks don't realize they could very well be decided in this July primary and those thinking they will cast their vote in November may never have that chance.

You are correct. Folks need to pay attention now and get informed!

I do know Chad Plumley, he is a nice guy. Finding out about who they are and where they stand should not be a problem. Google is your friend. I'm sure all kinds of mud slinging will be going on, shouldn't be too hard to verify what is and isn't fact.

I know I have sat in a couple of trials with Dick Donovan, one criminal, one civil. He was not prepared, his presentations were sometimes ridiculous. It appeared he didn't really care if he won or lost, he just wanted to be done with the case. He doesn't even live in Paulding County does he???

Don't forget, there are commission seats and BOE seats in this July primary.

I do know Chad Plumley, he is a nice guy. Finding out about who they are and where they stand should not be a problem. Google is your friend. I'm sure all kinds of mud slinging will be going on, shouldn't be too hard to verify what is and isn't fact.

I know I have sat in a couple of trials with Dick Donovan, one criminal, one civil. He was not prepared, his presentations were sometimes ridiculous. It appeared he didn't really care if he won or lost, he just wanted to be done with the case. He doesn't even live in Paulding County does he???

he does live here (he couldn't run if he didn't) but I don't think he has an office in Paulding.

Don't forget, there are commission seats and BOE seats in this July primary.

he does live here (he couldn't run if he didn't) but I don't think he has an office in Paulding.

That's right, he pulled his practice out of Hiram into Douglasville several years ago. I knew he was affiliated more with Douglas County these days, just got confused.

Oh yeah, he didn't win either of the cases I have first hand experience with.

ETA, he was on the opposing side of each case I was involved with. I was dumbfounded at his lack of preparedness.

I am not ready to say they are personal and not professional. I guess it depends on who you talk to. I think we should be voting FOR a candidate and not against another candidate. I will be doing my homework and others should too. Vote FOR someone because you think they will be honest, have integrity, and that they have the best qualifications. Just my 2 cents.

I will be voting for Chad Plumley. He is a nice guy, but it goes further than that. I don't think Paulding realizes what a gem they have in him. He is one of the smartest men I know, and has an unbelievable concept of written law. Please research him further. I think he will represent Paulding very well. :)

I will be voting for Chad Plumley. He is a nice guy, but it goes further than that. I don't think Paulding realizes what a gem they have in him. He is one of the smartest men I know, and has an unbelievable concept of written law. Please research him further. I think he will represent Paulding very well. :)

Thank you for that. My affiliation with Chad Plumley is based on one of my volunteer positions here in Paulding County, I have not had any professional experiences involving him. I really want to lean that way, Drew is a great person but doesn't appear to be getting the job done. Donald (Dick) Donovan is just not professional in my opinion. I realize it sounds personal, but having seen him in action I can't help but take it to a personal level.

Politico is reporting that Austin Scott will drop his campaign for Governor and challenge Democratic Rep. Jim Marshall in the state's 8th Congressional District! I hope he goes for it! I think he could win.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0410/36548.html

That is interesting as I think he was going to go after Cagle's spot but I guess he changed his mind.

Another Democrat candidate for Governor? Rep. Randal Mangham (D - Decatur) announced that he'll be qualifying for the office of governor.

Apparently he announced this on the House Floor.

That is interesting as I think he was going to go after Cagle's spot but I guess he changed his mind.

I like him a lot but I don't think he had a prayer of winning the election for Governor. I hope he does do this. I don't think the report would be out there if it were not true. I guess I could be surprised.huh.gif

The DA race is going to be a tough decision for me. Plumley appears to be more of a general practice attorney with no specific specialty. I've seen Lane in action before when I had jury duty - as a litigator, he wasn't impressive. Donovan - I know nothing about but he at least seems to have the most criminal litigation experience.

That's right, he pulled his practice out of Hiram into Douglasville several years ago. I knew he was affiliated more with Douglas County these days, just got confused.

Oh yeah, he didn't win either of the cases I have first hand experience with.

ETA, he was on the opposing side of each case I was involved with. I was dumbfounded at his lack of preparedness.

Any attorney that can deal with the DA's office in Douglas County is a darned good attorney. There are several very well known and very high priced criminal defense attorneys here in Marietta that will not even take a case in Douglas County. They are the DEVIL to deal with. A fee for a Douglas County case is usually at least triple the fee of a Cobb or Paulding, just because of what you have to deal with and you know it is going to be a major headache from start to finish.

And plus all the cases that should have NEVER made it to the Grand Jury because of lack of evidence that cost innocent people ALOT of money.....Of course, I think it's a combination of poor work by the investigators at the Sheriff's department. Hopefully, our new sheriff is getting that mess cleaned up!

I recently served on jury duty. The DA's office was SO unprepared...you would have thought that the assistant DA had just picked the file up that morning...they lost that case. The criminial attorney didn't have to do much work, he made the assistant DA look like an idiot...

Paulette Braddock has qualified Republican for the Legislature District 19 seat

She may have "qualified" to run for the seat, but I don't believe she is qualified for the seat. She won't be getting my vote...

• Like 1

She may have "qualified" to run for the seat, but I don't believe she is qualified for the seat. She won't be getting my vote...

I take it you think that Stout is better qualified than she is. May I ask how?

Or maybe you plan to vote for the Student who is running as a Democrat.

I take it you think that Stout is better qualified than she is. May I ask how?

Or maybe you plan to vote for the Student who is running as a Democrat.

I take you don't know Paulette well.........dry.gif

And Stout is another philandering theocrat.

Avery appears to be the class clown.

Not much to choose from at this point, not much at all.

Maybe an Independent will come along.

I take you don't know Paulette well.........dry.gif

And Stout is another philandering theocrat.

Avery appears to be the class clown.

Not much to choose from at this point, not much at all.

Maybe an Independent will come along.

ditto