Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
chynnapink

Question about new teen driver

My son has just completed the required Joshua's Law course. I called the DDS to see what else is required for him to take the road test. He is required to have 6 hours of parent supervised driving experience. The person I spoke with at the DMV said he would need a log of this driving. When I asked was there a specific form we are to use she couldn't tell me about one. The entire phone conversation was absolutely wierd. This woman sounded under the influence of something and the conversation was all over the place and I am totally confused about what we need as far as this log is concerned. Can anyone that has taken thier teenager recently to take the road test help me with what info is required regarding this log. Is there a specific form or am I to make my own? I checked thier website and could find nothing about this log. :unsure:

Edited by Dayzee

I would just write down the date and time he drove and where he drove to.

I think the parents have to sign it.

My kid got his driver's license almost 6 months ago. I think it's 20 lessons you have to go through and sign every one and a drving log (with same info as each lesson). The driving log has to be signed and notarized. You should find all the info you need at GA DMV website.

I would just write down the date and time he drove and where he drove to.

I think the parents have to sign it.

That's what we did. I don't remember exactly, but I believe 2 to 4 hours of night driving was required. We had a form, but needed extra space, so we just added a hand written page. It worked. :pardon:

Thanks for the replies...Just got off the phone and the link that stjohn99 posted is the log I need. The first lady I spoke with was bizarre. How do people like that keep or even obtain thier jobs. :wacko:

Thanks for the replies...Just got off the phone and the link that stjohn99 posted is the log I need. The first lady I spoke with was bizarre. How do people like that keep or even obtain thier jobs. :wacko:

Half the population is crazy. It's a 50/50 chance everytime to talk to someone. :ninja:

I feel your pain. :mellow:

:D

Glad I could help! Best of luck! :good:

Half the population is crazy. It's a 50/50 chance everytime to talk to someone. :ninja:

I feel your pain. :mellow:

:D

I have only been looking for a job for a short period and am having very little luck. I could so do this lady's job and do it well. Guess I shouldn't judge based on one phone conversation....maybe she is just having a bad day. <_<

I have only been looking for a job for a short period and am having very little luck. I could so do this lady's job and do it well. Guess I shouldn't judge based on one phone conversation....maybe she is just having a bad day.

Feel free to apply - DDS is so short-handed these days, you might actually be hired. Be warned, though: working with the public - even over the phone - is no picnic.

And BTW, your original post was incorrect as to the required number of hours - the parent-taught curriculum must reflect *40* hours of behind-the-wheel instruction, *6* of which take place at night. Make sure you print out the entire curriculum from the link that was provided - you must present ALL of the checklists and the parent/teen agreement as well as the driving log. If your child is taught by a professional driving instructor, six hours *is* sufficient.

Your Friendly Neighborhood License Examiner B)

Feel free to apply - DDS is so short-handed these days, you might actually be hired. Be warned, though: working with the public - even over the phone - is no picnic.

And BTW, your original post was incorrect as to the required number of hours - the parent-taught curriculum must reflect *40* hours of behind-the-wheel instruction, *6* of which take place at night. Make sure you print out the entire curriculum from the link that was provided - you must present ALL of the checklists and the parent/teen agreement as well as the driving log. If your child is taught by a professional driving instructor, six hours *is* sufficient.

quick question... if you pay for the professional course, do you stil have to complete, notarize, and turn in the packet?

quick question... if you pay for the professional course, do you stil have to complete, notarize, and turn in the packet?

Nope - the parent-taught curriculum is strictly for those who forego the formal driving courses and instructors. The driving schools provide the certificate required by DDS.

Nope - the parent-taught curriculum is strictly for those who forego the formal driving courses and instructors. The driving schools provide the certificate required by DDS.

then the whole point is moot? if the OP sent her son to a Joshua's Law driving course, she shouldn't need the packet or log at all?

then the whole point is moot? if the OP sent her son to a Joshua's Law driving course, she shouldn't need the packet or log at all?

It depends. If her child went through the classroom portion ONLY, he/she still needs the behind-the-wheel instruction required by Joshua's Law. And lots of parents and kids are using the *online* driving courses these days, so the parent is still the child's "driving instructor."

It depends. If her child went through the classroom portion ONLY, he/she still needs the behind-the-wheel instruction required by Joshua's Law. And lots of parents and kids are using the *online* driving courses these days, so the parent is still the child's "driving instructor."

ah. :good:

My 16 year old got his license in December. He took the course at a driving school, but we still had to take the certificate from the course and the pages for each driving session with us (they didn't have to be notarized, though.)

We also had to have: his learner's permit, valid tag on the vehicle used for the driving exam, proof of valid insurance on the same vehicle, SS card, certificate of attendance from his school, and the certificate from the drug & alcohol awareness class they took at school. (I can't find the list I made at the time, so I'm going on memory, but I think that is all.)

I contacted the head of the DDS in Cedartown. She was VERY helpful. If you have any questions, I would call her. :)

Wow, what a pita .. I'm so glad my kids have waited and will wait until they are 18. It's not worth the hassle imo.

My DD got her license a month ago and they didn't even ask for the log. I was a little miffed since I had to keep track of the dang thing.

My DD got her license a month ago and they didn't even ask for the log. I was a little miffed since I had to keep track of the dang thing.

How old was your daughter when she got her license?

IS this required even after they turn 17?

Thanks for your reply. I knew that it was 40 hours when he first started the Joshua's Law course but somehow through the trauma of getting that completed it must have just been easier to think about the 6 hours required night driving. He had to do the online course (99.00) because getting an instructor and attending classes was way out of my price range. Regarding the misinformation I was given by the lady on the phone,she never even mentioned the attendance form but did tell me the alcohol and drug awarness thing could not be more than 30 days old (HUH??? :unsure: ) I asked her about this twice and she verifyed twice the same misinformation...glad someone else was able to straighten all her incorrect info out for me. I did check the website about job opportunities. It's doesn't appear that full time jobs are available. Working 29 hours a week would be great but just won't pay the bills. Thanks again! :)

IS this required even after they turn 17?

No it's not required if they are 17.

Don't understand most of this. There were no requirements for my kids when they got thier license. They all still got a driving course and during thier learning year, drove everywhere, on vaction, downtown Atlanta, etc. I wanted to make sure when they did get on the road, they knew what they were doing. No body had to make me make sure they could drive.

Don't understand most of this. There were no requirements for my kids when they got thier license. They all still got a driving course and during thier learning year, drove everywhere, on vaction, downtown Atlanta, etc. I wanted to make sure when they did get on the road, they knew what they were doing. No body had to make me make sure they could drive.

It started about 3 years ago. There are a lot of requirements to get a license and graduated rules of how many people can ride with new driver.

Where does the drug and alcohol certificate come from?

High School Health Course--freshman year