Paulding.com

Those of you with stress issues...i need suggestions

Ok, i know we are all stressed right now. But all joking aside. I feel like my stress level is at a dangerous place . I am only 26 and do not think I should be this high strung and worrying about something/anything/everything 24/7. I know I need to go to the doctor but i absolutely refuse to take medicine based on family history. So in that aspect I feel like a doctor is pointless. I'm at a loss of what to do to help myself. The best thing I can do to relax is read, and everything seems to fade, but the instant i'm finished all my worries resurface immediately. And it's not as though I have all of these heavy burdens. I worry about the littlest things. I can't even think of an example.

My point in the post is to ask what some of you do to relax and regain your sanity. :unsure: I could sure use some ideas to atleast try.

Give yourself time out.

Yep you read that right - give yourself time out. Go for a 5-10 minute walk, even if it is just around the outside of your house. Soak in the tub for 5 minutes or stay in the shower for that time. Put on a headset and listen to favorite music for a bit.

When you get a way for a bit, some of the "noise" you get with stress will fade a bit. When you hear it again, walk or sit away again. The more times you do this the more you can "get control".

Stress/Change happen, you need to learn how you will manage it.

GOOD LUCK!

I'll give you my #1 soluton, but it may not work for you, as I don't know your situation.

Whenever someone causes me stress, I say to myself "It's their problem --- not my problem!!!" and try to walk away from the situation for a while --- take a nice walk outside.

It worked for me with bosses until I retired, and now works for me with relatives.

It pays to know what you can change and what you can't. Don't try to change the former and slowly try to change the rest. I wish I could convince my wife of that.

If it is a medical problem, consider seeing someone who will not prescribe pills --- and OD instead of a MD. We see a chiropractor once a month to releive stress --- you might consider a massage as well. There are several non-pill ways to releive stress.

Wishing you a full recovery.

Ok, i know we are all stressed right now. But all joking aside. I feel like my stress level is at a dangerous place . I am only 26 and do not think I should be this high strung and worrying about something/anything/everything 24/7. I know I need to go to the doctor but i absolutely refuse to take medicine based on family history. So in that aspect I feel like a doctor is pointless. I'm at a loss of what to do to help myself. The best thing I can do to relax is read, and everything seems to fade, but the instant i'm finished all my worries resurface immediately. And it's not as though I have all of these heavy burdens. I worry about the littlest things. I can't even think of an example.

My point in the post is to ask what some of you do to relax and regain your sanity. :unsure: I could sure use some ideas to atleast try.

When I have days like this.....I get my cell phone and pray for each person on my cell phone list....making a habit out of this.....makes my worries fade.....normally someone on my cell phone list is going through or being blessed in some form or fashion.....I just think of them and pray......Let not your heart be troubled....John 14:1

Become cynical and flippant, it's worked for me all these years.

^5

and try picturing everyone in your cell phone address book naked. or just try to match their actual naked pictures to their names. either way. great game.

My philosophy is I only worry about things I personally can do something about. Like when I was first diagnosed with CLL, my oncologist told me not to worry, it could be treated. I told her that since I can not do anything myself I was not worried but she needed to worry because she could do something about it.

When I have days like this.....I get my cell phone and pray for each person on my cell phone list....making a habit out of this.....makes my worries fade.....normally someone on my cell phone list is going through or being blessed in some form or fashion.....I just think of them and pray......Let not your heart be troubled....John 14:1

That is so nice!! Will you add me to your contact list?? :blush:

I have God on my contact list. If I'm really down, sometimes I scroll down and press it and just talk to air. No one knows I'm not on the cell phone so they leave me alone and I have a mental picture that i'm talking to God.

You need to come see me. My regulars call it their "cheap therapy". I used to laugh, but I know it calms me to go shopping. I have on some nice music, and you know it's fine to "just browse". I also like candles and a nice bath, although it doesn't happen very often. Keep a stress ball handy. You know the little squishy ball that fits in your hand? Sometimes when I'm ready to scream, I use it on both hands for a few minutes. Do you like flowers or plants? Inside or outside, when I give them some TLC, it just takes other things off my mind. How about calling an old friend, and catching up? Of course, take a "breather" whenever possible! Good luck!

Start a journal. List things you are worrying about. Make notes on what you can do to help each situation. If there is nothing you can do for a situation, put it in God's hands and don't take the burden back.

Make a wish list of things that you want to see happen with what ever is worrying you. You'll be surprised at how many will get checked off and you didn't do a thing to help with the situation. This way you will see that there was nothing you could do by worrying about them.

Best of luck to you.

I read a story once:

There was a man that God told him to take a wheel barrell and push it to the top of the mountain. As he was pushing he came across someone and they had a stump they needed to get to the top of the mountain, so they put it in his wheel barrel and he was off again. A little farther he came across someone who needed to get some rocks to the top of the mountain so they loaded the wheel barrel up.

Now the barrel is getting heavy and hard to push and he came across someone needing to get something else up the mountain so they loaded it up as he began to push it was more than he could handle and he said to God you told me to carry it up the mountain but it is to heavy and I can't do it.

God told him I said to carry the wheel barrell up the mountain, you added everything else.

Lighten your load, the things you have the ability to change, fix them, the things you can't change there is no need to worry about, lay them down and let someone else carry them. Life is too precious to be bogged down with the things you can't change, if it is family step back, take a deep breath and go back with a fresh breath and a positive thought. Proverbs 18:21 Death and life are in the power of the tongue and they thar love it shall eat the fruit thereof.

Speak life, look at the bright side and hang in there.

God Bless You

Charlie

That is so nice!! Will you add me to your contact list?? :blush:

I have God on my contact list. If I'm really down, sometimes I scroll down and press it and just talk to air. No one knows I'm not on the cell phone so they leave me alone and I have a mental picture that i'm talking to God.

Yes, I will add you...I always got room for one more...........lol...

My point in the post is to ask what some of you do to relax and regain your sanity. unsure.gif I could sure use some ideas to atleast try.

Go to the Doctor.

My doctor suggested meditating. Get a book or CD; something simple for beginners.

I also like the story about how we add to our own load. I try very hard to not think about anything that I cannot personally change or control.

And do consider a doctor. Take care,

I agree with everyone who said to pray. Anytime you're worrying about something just stop for a minutes and say "God, I'm not able to handle this...you take it and deal with it and let me know what to do". If you do this sincerely and put your trust and faith in God I promise this will work. Try it..what do you have to lose? :)

When I was your age, I was raising 4 children under the age of 7 by myself. I also tend to ride high strung and worry about things, that I shouldn't worry about. I also am adamantly against medication. I've seen it destroy too many lives. Anyway, here are some things I've done that work ... Hope this helps.

1st is talk. I know it sounds silly .. but talking and crying are ways that we release stress ( in a positive way )

Sing a song :blush: A happy one. Go get in the shower and sing your heart out .. it helps.

Eat well .. no junk .. the food you eat does directly effect your mood. Exercise if you can .. everyday. It releases the happy endorphins in your brain. Sleep .. it matters.

Another thing that I took when I was going through my divorce that helped calm my nerves is " St. John's Wort ". It's a vitamin and it really helps. It takes the edge off a little. Also, avoid caffeine. I know that's hard in today's world .. but I notice a big difference on days when I drink too much caffeine.

It will be okay, meditate .. and take some time for yourself :wub:

It is a very stressful world that we live in today and we are in uncharted territory as to the state of our country and its "leadership". :rolleyes:

Do your best to concentrate on doing what is best for you and your family and hopefully, everything else will take care of itself. Also remember to practice the 3 P's - prayers, patience and pedicures! :lol: Hope everything gets better soon and remember the old saying "and this too shall pass".

You need to come see me. My regulars call it their "cheap therapy". I used to laugh, but I know it calms me to go shopping. I have on some nice music, and you know it's fine to "just browse". I also like candles and a nice bath, although it doesn't happen very often. Keep a stress ball handy. You know the little squishy ball that fits in your hand? Sometimes when I'm ready to scream, I use it on both hands for a few minutes. Do you like flowers or plants? Inside or outside, when I give them some TLC, it just takes other things off my mind. How about calling an old friend, and catching up? Of course, take a "breather" whenever possible! Good luck!

I would have to agree :) She always makes me smile when I see her.

For stress relief, I suggest the making of sock monkeys, or other sock animals.

sock puppets are my friends.

and for the record, i'd like to change my answers from naked cell pone pics to............

sutter home moscato and beastie boys.

works like a freakin charm. i'm now a puddle.

I agree with exercise. Luckily most of my exercise involves punching and kicking. Really helps me to tone down the anger. Somewhat.

Also, do something that allows you to sort of meditate. I have not been able to just sit and meditate, no matter how many times I try. Can't quiet my mind. I do have a book of mandalas that I color with pencils. Painting had the same effect.

My point in the post is to ask what some of you do to relax and regain your sanity. unsure.gif I could sure use some ideas to atleast try.

Go to youtube, type in the search box (or copy and paste) "Don't worry, be happy." follow that with "Peanut butter jelly time" then top it off with "Praying Cat". If these three don't cheer you up and brighten your day, then it's time to go see the doc.

• 2 weeks later...

Go to youtube, type in the search box (or copy and paste) "Don't worry, be happy." follow that with "Peanut butter jelly time" then top it off with "Praying Cat". If these three don't cheer you up and brighten your day, then it's time to go see the doc.

I'm going to do this because now you have me curious! :pardon:

One of my bosses is 69 going on 30! He has a trainer work him out twice a week followed by a massage. He says it keeps him young and moving and if you could see him, it is clearly working for him.

Being a worker bee, I cannot afford the luxury of the trainer or having a massuese come to my home, but, I do get regular massages. At least once a month, a one hour, deep tissue massage. All my stress builds in my neck, shoulders and back. After the massage, I'm a new woman able to leap tall buildings and all that!!!

Seriously, try getting a massage! It really helps take my stress away.

And if that doesnt' work see Motor City Madman's suggestion above! :drinks: