Paulding.com

REALLY!?!?!?!?!

OK...I know it is important, but first the letter saying it was coming, then the census itself which I filled out in about 5 minutes and put back in the mail, and today...a post card saying, 'You should have received your census in the mail, blah, blah, blah...it is a law that you fill it out and return it'. OK, I already did. And they are whining because the census bureau is already over budget? Who knew?!!!

It is a heck of a lot cheaper for them to send out the reminders in the mail than it is for them to send people door to door for the folks who forget to fill them out or neglect to for whatever other reason. And they are not technically over budget, yet. Some of the things that they have done so far did end up costing more than was budgeted for them but they have not gone over on the full budget.

It is a heck of a lot cheaper for them to send out the reminders in the mail than it is for them to send people door to door for the folks who forget to fill them out or neglect to for whatever other reason. And they are not technically over budget, yet. Some of the things that they have done so far did end up costing more than was budgeted for them but they have not gone over on the full budget.

This article states that they are over budget, but it's on Fox so who knows?

'The Census Bureau spent $85 million on advance letters and postcard reminders'. Straight from the article...thats A LOT of money.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/03/15/census-bureau-running-budget-heavy-counting-gets-way/

Edited by momof 3

OK...I know it is important, but first the letter saying it was coming, then the census itself which I filled out in about 5 minutes and put back in the mail, and today...a post card saying, 'You should have received your census in the mail, blah, blah, blah...it is a law that you fill it out and return it'. OK, I already did. And they are whining because the census bureau is already over budget? Who knew?!!!

I heard a news report today that says they do this because the reminders may cost now but it saves a lot more in the future. For ever 1% that mail it in, it saves $85 million in later costs. I found the link for that! :unsure:

http://www.azjournal.com/news/126/ARTICLE/5283/2010-03-24.html

I heard a news report today that says they do this because the reminders may cost now but it saves a lot more in the future. For ever 1% that mail it in, it saves $85 million in later costs. I found the link for that! :unsure:

http://www.azjournal.com/news/126/ARTICLE/5283/2010-03-24.html

I think my mind won't wrap around $85 million dollars!! Now...that may change if I won that much in the lottery!! :lol:

This article states that they are over budget, but it's on Fox so who knows?

'The Census Bureau spent $85 million on advance letters and postcard reminders'. Straight from the article...thats A LOT of money.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/03/15/census-bureau-running-budget-heavy-counting-gets-way/

The title is misleading. Regardless, it is unfortunate that they have had "cost overruns" already. But as folks have already pointed out, "..."Every 1 percentage point for us means that we save $85 million of salary costs of sending people out to follow up on those non-responses..."

Someone with the census bureau said that studies have shown that sending out the initial letter actually saves them money. More people actually fill it out and send it in, keeping the number of in person visits to a minimum.

Now the postcard after...

Edited by QOTSA

Someone with the census bureau said that studies have shown that sending out the initial letter actually saves them money. More people actually fill it out and send it in, keeping the number of in person visits to a minimum.

Now the postcard after...

Do they only send people out if you don't reply? I can see it now...a census worker knocking on my door...now that would really fire me up especially since I sent it back on the day I got it.

Whilst you want the $85 mill, I'd settle for $8500. :drinks:

dang j-hed 1st time I've ever agreed with ya

The title is misleading. Regardless, it is unfortunate that they have had "cost overruns" already. But as folks have already pointed out, "..."Every 1 percentage point for us means that we save $85 million of salary costs of sending people out to follow up on those non-responses..."

I don't recall any govt. run operation that EVER came in at or under the projected cost.

So, studies show that sending out multiple mailings and ending up over budget will keep them from being even more over budget?

And they probably spent millions on the study.

That's our friendly federal govt.

So, studies show that sending out multiple mailings and ending up over budget will keep them from being even more over budget?

And they probably spent millions on the study.

That's our friendly federal govt.

That was my thought too.

If they wanted it sent in before April 1st they should have worded it different. If God calls me home before April 1st I will no longer be living there. :blink: I might have to move someone in before then. 8) Not planning on either of this but you never know. I don't want to be accused of lying. :lol:

The reason they have to take these rather mundane steps is because the mindset of much of the population these days. People have lost sight of the importance in the processes that makes our Republic great. Completing the Census to ensure they have adequate representation is not important to them because they do not vote.

Edited by Ugadawgs98

They need to send me a postcard. I keep meaning to fill mine out and then don't. I would do it right now but I'm not sure where I put it. Plus checking Paulding.com is so much more important :) . Just kidding, I totally plan on getting it out in the next day or two and I am 100% confident they will save money sending out those pesky postcards.

Law says the census every 10 years is to count the number of people living in the US on April 1st of each 10th year....or something like that....which is the reason for the April 1st day.....but that doesn't mean I'm fillin' it out early :lol:

It probably would have been cheaper to send the forms to every head of household and promise $100 for a properly filled in form.

probably less than that......I'm down with fidy.

People have lost sight of the importance in the processes that makes our Republic great.

Seems to me that that the processes that made this a once great Republic have all but failed...

I don't know about "studies." Perhaps I used the wrong word. Statistics?

Gary Locke - Secretary of Commerce

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-march-18-2010/gary-locke-pt--2

Paraphrase: For every 1% improved response, they save the taxpayers 85 million.

ETA: part 1

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-march-18-2010/gary-locke-pt--1

Edited by QOTSA

Seems to me that that the processes that made this a once great Republic have all but failed...

I do not agree....it ranks at the top. The population counts and densities determined by the census directly impacts the amount of representation a given area has in the government. It is a monumental task to try to count 300+ million people and pinpoint their location on a map.

Dang i still keep forgetting to put it in the mail. I don't really mail mail i pay everything online so i forget to mail stuff. grrrr off to put in the mail box now.

Edited by matthewspiglet