Paulding.com

Question about Plagiarism

Is it plagiarism to quote somebody and not put it in italics or quotation marks, or cite a source?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Is it plagiarism to quote somebody and not put it in italics or quotation marks, or cite a source?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know

Is it plagiarism to quote a lengthy section of another's exact words, put them in a paper with no quotation marks or italics and cite no source where they came from? :huh:

For example. If I wrote this.

I have said here for quite some time that the answer to stability in the financial industry is the simple premise that if they are too big to fail, then they are too big to exist. Apparently we have some agreement on that fact. The devil is, as always, in the details, but I hope that a workable piece of regulation will come out of this without the requisite power grab by the administration.

I am a strong proponent of regulation, and a strong opponent of putting monetary policy in the hands of government. Treasury does not need to be in charge. We shall see who wins that battle.

If I didn't put that in italics or quote marks, or give a source, but just left my name on it, wouldn't everybody think I am representing that as my wording? Here's the link for that, btw. Lots to Do wrote it and he has nothing to do with why I am asking this question. 8)

http://paulding.com/forum/index.php?/topic/235174-something-good-coming-out-of-washington/page__p__3054219__fromsearch__1entry3054219

Edited by Jughaid

not on a message board, because no one cares about plagarism on message boards.

You would be surprised about that. It's still a violation of copyright laws. :rofl:

I agree it's not that big of a deal in small posts. But I'm not asking that. I'm asking is it still plagarism. :blink:

Edited by Jughaid

Juggy,

I like your siggy. I know I've read that somewhere before, I'm just not sure where. Oh, well, you didn't give the credit to anybody else, so YOU must be taking credit for saying it.

8)

No citation is necessary for axioms but is necessary for lenghty quotes. :rolleyes:

You would be surprised about that. It's still a violation of copyright laws. rofl.gif

I agree it's not that big of a deal in small posts. But I'm not asking that. I'm asking is it still plagarism. blink.gif

No one cares about copyright laws anymore either. See the millions and millions of copied dvds, cds, and games that are used daily by probably at least half of the people under 50 in the US.

Seriously, no one uses quotes and proper citations on message boards, or most anywhere on the internet. And even if people made a big deal about it, it's totally unenforceable.

Actually, All you have to do to avoid plagarizing is mention somewhere that some of what you have written isn't yours. I've read books before where in the very back, in small print, it has one sentence saying some of the material in the book came word for word from such and such a book. And that is legal. No one cares about plagarism anymore, unless you are copying an entire book and publishing it.

No one cares about copyright laws anymore either. See the millions and millions of copied dvds, cds, and games that are used daily by probably at least half of the people under 50 in the US.

Seriously, no one uses quotes and proper citations on message boards, or most anywhere on the internet. And even if people made a big deal about it, it's totally unenforceable.

Actually, All you have to do to avoid plagarizing is mention somewhere that some of what you have written isn't yours. I've read books before where in the very back, in small print, it has one sentence saying some of the material in the book came word for word from such and such a book. And that is legal. No one cares about plagarism anymore, unless you are copying an entire book and publishing it.

They do care. But if that's your postion, ok. Tell that to Joe Biden and his 1988 presidential bid. :wacko:

Still that is not what I asked. I asked if it is plagarism to take someone's words and hold them as your own. Forget the message board. Is it plagarism? :pardon: :rofl:

And you may want to check out this link.

http://community.lawyers.com/forums/t/51689.aspx

Edited by Jughaid

No citation is necessary for axioms but is necessary for lenghty quotes. :rolleyes:

Ok, different set of rules for you? You decide lenghty or not. Got it. :rolleyes: If I don't know who the quote came from I can't very well state it now can I. When it was brought to my attention who made the quote, I thanked you for it & made it public.

Pot meet kettle Juggy. ;)

Is the telling of a joke without crediting the creator allowed under the doctrine of fair use if it is not used for commercial purpose, the teller did not claim the work to be his own, and it has no effect upon the potential value, if any, of the original work? Must the teller of a joke in any format attribute the original work even if the average person would have a common understanding that the joke was being retold?

Edited to add: The example statement used by Juggie above is not plagiarized. If that is unclear to anyone, please know that I don't need to steal another person's words to express myself. I am, in fact, somewhat confused as to why she chose to quote such a masterpiece. :D

If I were going to make such a big deal about a word, I would at least learn to spell it the right way. Seems like the almighty scholar is wrong on that too.

PLAGIARISM

You did it on the original thread too. Do you count off grade points for misspelled words too? :rofl:

If I were going to make such a big deal about a word, I would at least learn to spell it the right way. Seems like the almighty scholar is wrong on that too.

PLAGIARISM

You did it on the original thread too. Do you count off grade points for misspelled words too? :rofl:

Yep. I misspelled it. Didn't run it through the spell checker and spelling is something I am terrible at. I fixed it but I can't edit the topic title for some reason. :ph34r:

Isn't a grammar nazi a no-no? I got a bullet for that once. :ninja:

Aren't call outs on the board against the rules?

Hold on. I'm not calling out anybody. I only asked a question about what is plagiarism. Evidently several people don't know so I want to see how many don't know this. :wacko:

Is the telling of a joke without crediting the creator allowed under the doctrine of fair use if it is not used for commercial purpose, the teller did not claim the work to be his own, and it has no effect upon the potential value, if any, of the original work? Must the teller of a joke in any format attribute the original work even if the average person would have a common understanding that the joke was being retold?

Edited to add: The example statement used by Juggie above is not plagiarized. If that is unclear to anyone, please know that I don't need to steal another person's words to express myself. I am, in fact, somewhat confused as to why she chose to quote such a masterpiece. :D

I just pulled one your posts at random. :pardon:

I'm not talking about Fair Use. I am only asking to see how many people know that not putting someone's direct words in quotation marks is plagiarism. That's all. Just trying to get a handle on something as basic as this. :glare:

Ok, different set of rules for you? You decide lenghty or not. Got it. :rolleyes: If I don't know who the quote came from I can't very well state it now can I. When it was brought to my attention who made the quote, I thanked you for it & made it public.

Pot meet kettle Juggy. ;)

Hold on. This thread is not about you. I'm not asking about your post. I'm just trying to see how many people really don't know what plagiarism is. One doesn't have to cite axioms a that is a common saying. Things commonly known don't require a citation. 8)

Edited by Jughaid

So I guess all of the flea market raids for the DVDs and CDs and all of the music download lawsuits etc. are examples of nobody caring. :lol:

Not trying to be a butthead about it but, you're way off. There may be plenty of people who have no respect for copyright and trademark and the likes but there are plenty of people who still enforce them.

Yep. I misspelled it. Didn't run it through the spell checker and spelling is something I am terrible at. I fixed it but I can't edit the topic title for some reason. :ph34r:

<snip>

I'm not talking about Fair Use. I am only asking to see how many people know that not putting someone's direct words in quotation marks is plagiarism. That's all. Just trying to get a handle on something as basic as this. :glare:

<snip>

Any reasonable discussion of when one must and must not use quotation marks in order to avoid a charge of plagiarism, should also include the doctrine of fair use. That is in fact the defense for the retelling or reprinting of jokes in a non commercial setting. Intent and damage are at the heart of copyright law.

So I guess all of the flea market raids for the DVDs and CDs and all of the music download lawsuits etc. are examples of nobody caring. laugh.gif

Not trying to be a butthead about it but, you're way off. There may be plenty of people who have no respect for copyright and trademark and the likes but there are plenty of people who still enforce them.

Please, that's a token effort. Most of it goes on over the internet, and less than .5% of the activity is caught. And most of that isn't even prosecuted very aggressively. Some countries don't even let people sue over piracy, they just politely ask you not to do it, and then let you if you want to.

Also, anyone that sells copied music and dvds at a flea market is just begging to get arrested. It'd be like stealing a car, and then putting it in your driveway with a for sale sign on it. It's just dumb. How they all don't get caught is amazing.

Hold on. I'm not calling out anybody. I only asked a question about what is plagiarism. Evidently several people don't know so I want to see how many don't know this. :wacko:

Hold on. This thread is not about you. I'm not asking about your post. I'm just trying to see how many people really don't know what plagiarism is. One doesn't have to cite axioms a that is a common saying. Things commonly known don't require a citation. 8)

I guess my question would be common to who? It may seem common to you and be something I and many others have never heard of so therefor would in no way be common for me and many others.

If you were writing a paper for a college class and didn't use quotations and cite the source, you would FAIL not just the paper, but the entire class. AND, you could get kicked out of school, even if you did it unknowingly.

Here is the definition of plagiarism as defined by Wikipedia:

Plagiarism, as defined in the 1995 Random House Compact Unabridged Dictionary, is the "use or close imitation of the language and thoughts of another author and the representation of them as one's own original work."[1] Within academia, plagiarism by students, professors, or researchers is considered academic dishonesty or academic fraud and offenders are subject to academic censure, up to and including expulsion. In journalism, plagiarism is considered a breach of journalistic ethics, and reporters caught plagiarizing typically face disciplinary measures ranging from suspension to termination of employment. Some individuals caught plagiarizing in academic or journalistic contexts claim that they plagiarized unintentionally, by failing to include quotations or give the appropriate citation. While plagiarism in scholarship and journalism has a centuries-old history, the development of the Internet, where articles appear as electronic text, has made the physical act of copying the work of others much easier.

Plagiarism is not the same as copyright infringement. While both terms may apply to a particular act, they are different transgressions. Copyright infringement is a violation of the rights of a copyright holder, when material protected by copyright is used without consent. On the other hand, plagiarism is concerned with the unearned increment to the plagiarizing author's reputation that is achieved through false claims of authorship.

If you were writing a paper for a college class and didn't use quotations and cite the source, you would FAIL not just the paper, but the entire class. AND, you could get kicked out of school, even if you did it unknowingly.

Not necessarily, I know several people who were caught plagarizing and didn't even fail the paper, some professors don't really care that much, they just make them right a new paper. Most probably would turn the student in, but some don't.

Which is yet another one of my beefs with colleges. They use a set of standards that people in the real world do not use. I hated all the citing inside a line, and all that bullcrap that only academics use, and is not actually required by law. And I especially hated it when a professor accused me of plagarism because I didn't cite something inside a line, even though I gave credit at the end of my paper. That was quite an interesting few weeks, and the professor actually ended up giving me a B+ on the paper, and deciding to retire after that semester. biggrin.gif

Edited by Adam&Jessica

not on a message board, because no one cares about plagarism on message boards.

You are incorrect in assuming this to be the case!

Regardless of where or by what means you quote someone else's work as your own...you are guilty of plagiarism.

Copyright laws are there to protect the writer from just such actions.

QS

Edited by quicksilver

You are incorrect in assuming this to be the case!

Regardless of where or by what means you quote someone else's work as your own...you are guilty of plagiarism.

Copyright laws are there to protect the writer from just such actions.

QS

When was the last time you saw anyone sued successfully over plagarism on a message board post?

When was the last time you saw anyone sued successfully over plagarism on a message board post?

Just answering the original question...

Like I said..

It doesn't matter where, "IF YOU POST SOMEONE ELSE'S COPYRIGHTED WORK AS YOUR OWN, THEN YOU ARE GUILTY AND SUBJECT TO THE LAW!"

Same as with Music, DVD's or any other Copyrighted material.

Take a look at the inside of any Novel, CD, DVD and see what is written there.

I know it is done every day, but just because YOU personally have no knowledge of successful lawsuits really doesn't mean is isn't happening!

All of my published works have similar wording about copyrights:

Copyright © 2008 by (client) - All Rights Reserved

This program may not be copied in whole or in part without the written consent of (client).

And this message appears at the bottom of all my business e-mail correspondence:

This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential,

proprietary or legally privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege

is waived or lost by any mistransmission. If you receive this message in error,

please immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system.

You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy

any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient.

QS

And this message appears at the bottom of all my business e-mail correspondence:

This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential,

proprietary or legally privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege

is waived or lost by any mistransmission. If you receive this message in error,

please immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system.

You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy

any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient.

QS

Is that disclaimer legally binding?

Think about it this way:

Suppose you receive an e-mail that contained a file that turned out to be an engineering drawing from a Defense Contractor, You know that it was sent to you in error and you passed it along to someone who in turn gave it to someone else...Do you think you could be prosecuted with this disclaimer present?

I really don't know the answer, but I wouldn't want to find out in court!!

QS

Think about it this way:

Suppose you receive an e-mail that contained a file that turned out to be an engineering drawing from a Defense Contractor, You know that it was sent to you in error and you passed it along to someone who in turn gave it to someone else...Do you think you could be prosecuted with this disclaimer present?

I really don't know the answer, but I wouldn't want to find out in court!!

QS

No, I'm about 99% sure I couldn't be, because it was sent to me, unless it was classified info.

typically, the suit is for copyright violations, not plagiarism. Why?

Because that is where the money is.

Plagiarism is an unethical act that, depending on the profession, may include the punishment of shunning. Copyright violation is a tort and can get you something greater than chump change when the costs and issues are great enough to make litigation feasible.

There are numerous copyright violation lawsuits but even at that, they are a small percentage of the violations out there because pursuing such litigation is costly and most folks won't litigate on principal because of that.

But if someone with deep pockets were to plagiarize another and in so doing violate anothers copyright (say a litigious attorney) you'd see the lawsuits fly.

As a general rule while we don't fact check every topic and post, we do prohibit wholesale copy-paste operations and while we do allow some such - a few paragraphs plus a link plus a comment on why the topic was interesting to you is the rule - we have been known to severely edit and even delete posts that were in obvious violation of copyright. Those who plagiarize have been called out on such and the potential for criticism generally keeps that type of violation down.

Users are, however, encouraged when you run across an obvious violation of copyright or something that you believe is plagiarized, to hit the report this post button and make your concerns known.

pubby

No, because you have neither the ability to accept or reject its terms. I.e. if you are to be a party to a conversation, the rules regarding confidentiality of that conversation must be mutually agreed. It cannot be assumed you are in agreement because the sender said you were.

Second, if you choose, you may agree to it of your own volition after the fact but you could do that with or without the legal sounding verbiage.

Beyond that, when you get one that is really juicy, send it to me :)

So, if you got an email that suggested there was a plot to commit murder and failed to disclose it to authorities you might find yourself an accessory before (or possibly after the fact). If it was from an official government source suggesting a May Day conspiracy to assassinate an elected official - disclose it to the biggest media outlet around. common sense rules and not blowing the whistle is being irresponsible.

pubby

No, because you have neither the ability to accept or reject its terms. I.e. if you are to be a party to a conversation, the rules regarding confidentiality of that conversation must be mutually agreed. It cannot be assumed you are in agreement because the sender said you were.

Second, if you choose, you may agree to it of your own volition after the fact but you could do that with or without the legal sounding verbiage.

Beyond that, when you get one that is really juicy, send it to me :)

So, if you got an email that suggested there was a plot to commit murder and failed to disclose it to authorities you might find yourself an accessory before (or possibly after the fact). If it was from an official government source suggesting a May Day conspiracy to assassinate an elected official - disclose it to the biggest media outlet around. common sense rules and not blowing the whistle is being irresponsible.

pubby

Pubby,

Thanks for clearing that up....

Like I said before, perhaps it's just the IT staff being paranoid...

I agree with you that not forwarding an obvious plot could make you an accessory...

This day and time finds many companies eavesdropping on incoming e-mails already.

QS

Is it plagiarism to quote a lengthy section of another's exact words, put them in a paper with no quotation marks or italics and cite no source where they came from? :huh:

Ask our Vice President

• 2 weeks later...