Paulding.com

Teacher has students punch another in the face

SUGAR LAND, Texas -- A teacher encouraged several students to punch a classmate in the face on a field trip, KPRC-TV in Houston reported.

The problems started when Devarius Williams, 5, and other children from the Robindell Private School took a field trip to a restaurant last week. Devarius' parents said he got into a fight.

Devarius' mother, Barbara Mobley, said the teacher had her own idea of discipline.

"The teacher that was driving his particular van got him and his group together and said, 'When we get on the van, I want everybody to punch Devarius in the face because he punched the little girl in the face,'" Mobley said.

Mobley estimated that at least a dozen children hit her son.

"As each child got on the bus, she said, 'Go,'" Mobley said. "They punched my son and went and sat down."

The school says it reacted quickly.

"It was a big mistake. She should have never done it," said Robindell's director and part-owner, Chuck Wall.

Wall said he quickly investigated. He said the teacher was fired within 30 minutes of the complaint.

"It was a very, very good teacher that we fired," Wall said. "She had been with me for six or seven years now; was one of my best pre-K teachers who had a moment of weakness, out of frustration, and dealing with a child she's had a problem with over the last several months."

Rest of Story Here

Um, if this were my son, I believe I'd be punching this woman in the face! :angry:

Rest of Story Here

Um, if this were my son, I believe I'd be punching this woman in the face! :angry:

So, an ADULT teacher was frustrated that she had had trouble with a 5 year old CHILD and had all the kids punch him in the face and she was considered a GOOD teacher? What must the bad ones act like? WOW! Yea, I think there would be some punching going on too.

I also don't believe that she just snapped and acted bad this once...what else has she done that they don't know about?

Is she in jail?

So, an ADULT teacher was frustrated that she had had trouble with a 5 year old CHILD and had all the kids punch him in the face and she was considered a GOOD teacher? What must the bad ones act like? WOW! Yea, I think there would be some punching going on too.

I also don't believe that she just snapped and acted bad this once...what else has she done that they don't know about?

Is she in jail?

Have you worked with kids like this child before? I've worked in Youth Detention Centers, and with mentally ill children, and my fiancee works at a day care where they have had to ask parents not to bring back their children because of their extreme bad behavior. Trust me, when things go on with children for months on end, and the parents and administration do nothing about it, it can make you so frustrated and mad you go crazy. If you doubt it, look up the amount of incidents at Paulding RYDC of staff having to use force, and then using excessive force, on the children there. And these aren't bad people, but when it goes on, and on, and on, people tend to snap.

• Like 3

Have you worked with kids like this child before? I've worked in Youth Detention Centers, and with mentally ill children, and my fiancee works at a day care where they have had to ask parents not to bring back their children because of their extreme bad behavior. Trust me, when things go on with children for months on end, and the parents and administration do nothing about it, it can make you so frustrated and mad you go crazy. If you doubt it, look up the amount of incidents at Paulding RYDC of staff having to use force, and then using excessive force, on the children there. And these aren't bad people, but when it goes on, and on, and on, people tend to snap.

Yep. My neighbor kid is a real jerk. So his is dad but that is another story. My youngest got into it with the kid several times. I've almost lost my religion over him a few times too. It can happen. And I'ma good person. Ask anybody on here 'cept in the political forum. :yahoo:

Yep. My neighbor kid is a real jerk. So his is dad but that is another story. My youngest got into it with the kid several times. I've almost lost my religion over him a few times too. It can happen. And I'ma good person. Ask anybody on here 'cept in the political forum. :yahoo:

Now, now. I don't think anyone in the PF would say you were a bad person. I wouldn't. Just misguided but not bad. :rofl:

Here's a rascal.............

post-21309-126935606584.jpg

Edited by Blazing Saddles

I'd be upset if it was my child, but if my child was repeatedly hitting kids at age 5, and the teachers had problems with him for months, I think I'd have figured out a nice way to deal with it before the teachers got so frustrated that this sort of thing happened.

Even frustration is no excuse for this. I'm not excusing the childs behaviour (sp?) and yes, it should be addressed. But no behaviour is an excuse to allow a teacher , or anyone, to punish in such a way. It's unexcusable. Period.

Whether I've worked with kids or not has no bearing on this. An ADULT responsible for a group of children that would condone and encourage this behavior, is not and never will be a good teacher. The kid was 5 years old. This should have been taken up with the parents and steps taken.

We have a kid down the street that is the biggest jerk I've ever dealt with. He's mean, he lies, he hits and all this to my own 8 year old. Have I ever hit him. NO. Have I wanted to. YES. But I'm better then that and bottom line is that I'm an ADULT and he is somebody elses kid. The solution, he has been removed from the equation and they are no longer allowed to play together.

People also 'snap' and kill kids too...is that OK because they are 'just frustrated'?

THAT IS A CHILD. If you are in that field and can't handle a difficult child, either go to your superior and see what can be done about placing him in another class or ask the parent not to bring him back, like you said earlier. I understand children can be extreamly difficult, I have a child that is, but that behavior that the "Adult" used is not excusable, not even a little bit.

And it's not like she had started her "punishment" and after the first punch realized "Oh, what am I doing?!" NO, she continued to let it go on with ELEVEN more children, TELLING them to punch another child (A child with a mental disability at that) in the face!

And if I were a parent to one of the dozen children who were told to do the punching, I would be furious as well.

If she is not in jail, she should be.

edit to say: Just because a child is bad at school, to an extreme, doesn't mean the parents aren't trying to do something about it. I know in a lot of cases yes, but not always. I think some of the teachers at my sons school probably assume I just let my child do what he wants at home and never punish him, but that's not the case at all. He can be an extreamly difficult child, to the point where he is seeing a behavioral theropist.

If someone "snapped" on my son like that, no matter what the situation was, I might just snap myself.

Edited by Mommy2two
  • Like 1

[quote name='momof 3' date='23 March 2010 - 11:13 AM' timestamp='1269357206' post='3114990']
Whether I've worked with kids or not has no bearing on this. An ADULT responsible for a group of children that would condone and encourage this behavior, is not and never will be a good teacher. The kid was 5 years old. This should have been taken up with the parents and steps taken.

We have a kid down the street that is the biggest jerk I've ever dealt with. He's mean, he lies, he hits and all this to my own 8 year old. Have I ever hit him. NO. Have I wanted to. YES. But I'm better then that and bottom line is that I'm an ADULT and he is somebody elses kid. The solution, he has been removed from the equation and they are no longer allowed to play together.

People also 'snap' and kill kids too...is that OK because they are 'just frustrated'?
[/quote]

First, who is to say that the teacher didn't speak to the parents and administrators about the child? She probably did repeatedly, and the parents ignored it, because some parents can't admit when their child is wrong, and the administrator's decided that in this economy, they needed to keep the child regardless.

Second, the teacher couldn't remove the child from the equation. She was stuck with him, probably 8 hours per day, for months on end. If you were stuck with a group of kids for that time period, when one child is acting like that towards the rest of the children, you'd probably be extremely frustrated. Having a mean kid in your neighborhood is much different from being stuck with a child where you can't get away from them, and you can't get them away from other children whose safety you are responsible for.

Third, I never said it was OK. Just that it was understandable. It was certainly a mistake, but plenty of other mistakes were probably made by the parents and supervisors at the school to let it get to this point.

As for it being a child with mental disabilities, I totally understand that, I used to work with people with disabilities that made them violent. However, if the teacher hadn't been trained to handle a mentally ill child, she was placed in a bad situation, and set up for a fall, because mentally ill children can be so much more frustrating than regular children. I can't tell you how many times I had to hold back coworkers at various facilities I worked at before I woke up and realised that no amount of money is worth the frustration of dealing with some situations.

• Like 1

THAT IS A CHILD. If you are in that field and can't handle a difficult child, either go to your superior and see what can be done about placing him in another class or ask the parent not to bring him back, like you said earlier. I understand children can be extreamly difficult, I have a child that is, but that behavior that the "Adult" used is not excusable, not even a little bit.

And it's not like she had started her "punishment" and after the first punch realized "Oh, what am I doing?!" NO, she continued to let it go on with ELEVEN more children, TELLING them to punch another child (A child with a mental disability at that) in the face!

And if I were a parent to one of the dozen children who were told to do the punching, I would be furious as well.

If she is not in jail, she should be.

Good Point. I hadn't even thought about that until I read your post. I would be especially ticked. I don't believe in hitting PERIOD. Which I know puts me in the minority around here. Meaning I don't even think parents should hit their own children but that is a whole other discussion altogether.

I can understand getting frustrated with a young child and feeling like you have tried everything rational to get through to them but the teacher was wrong, way wrong. I do believe she may have been a good teacher. I know I had more patients when I was younger than I do now with other peoples kids. I used to just adore them and still do for the most part but there are a few that I know can get under my skin if I let them (the kind of kids who mess with other kids or mine).

First, who is to say that the teacher didn't speak to the parents and administrators about the child? She probably did repeatedly, and the parents ignored it, because some parents can't admit when their child is wrong, and the administrator's decided that in this economy, they needed to keep the child regardless.

Second, the teacher couldn't remove the child from the equation. She was stuck with him, probably 8 hours per day, for months on end. If you were stuck with a group of kids for that time period, when one child is acting like that towards the rest of the children, you'd probably be extremely frustrated. Having a mean kid in your neighborhood is much different from being stuck with a child where you can't get away from them, and you can't get them away from other children whose safety you are responsible for.

Third, I never said it was OK. Just that it was understandable. It was certainly a mistake, but plenty of other mistakes were probably made by the parents and supervisors at the school to let it get to this point.

As for it being a child with mental disabilities, I totally understand that, I used to work with people with disabilities that made them violent. However, if the teacher hadn't been trained to handle a mentally ill child, she was placed in a bad situation, and set up for a fall, because mentally ill children can be so much more frustrating than regular children. I can't tell you how many times I had to hold back coworkers at various facilities I worked at before I woke up and realised that no amount of money is worth the frustration of dealing with some situations.

It's not understandable and as the old saying goes, 'If you can't stand the heat, get of the kitchen'. If she wasn't set up or equipped to handle children with disabilities she shouldn't have that job.

I don't even see how it's understandable... unsure.gif

Go sign up to volunteer at a mental hospital or youth detention center, or better yet, apply and work there for a month. Once the kids get over you being new, and start acting "normal" again, it will take all your patience not to snap. I'm an extremely patient person, if you didn't know me, you'd probably think I'm on tranquilizers, but even I had a breaking point, which is why one day I walked out of the YDC I worked at, and never went back. Because I knew my breaking point was approaching, and that if I stayed, I'd blow up just like almost all the people I'd worked with had at one point. It doesn't matter who you are, how patient you are, sooner or later, if you are in that type of environment, or around a situation like that, you do snap.

Like I said, it's not excusable at all. She should have quietly put the kids back on the bus, and told her boss to either send the kid home, or she'd quit. But she probably didn't have enough training to deal with that type of child, and was frustrated, and probably upset, and made a bad choice.

My question is this: Why aren't the parents getting any grief for not keeping their child under control, or dealing with him before it got to this point?

• Like 1

I don't think anybody is saying the teacher is excused, just understandable how it could happen. She should still be fired at least. She was wrong. No excuse. Understandable but no excusable. :closedeyes:

It said she was fired 30 min. after it was reported. I agree that it was wrong for a teacher to do such a thing. However, a tiny voice in my head (aliens) said the kid deserved it. I am not one to encourage violence but the kid did punch a little girl in the face first. I think he got what he deserved. I just don't think the teacher should have been the one to encourage it. JMO rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

It's not understandable and as the old saying goes, 'If you can't stand the heat, get of the kitchen'. If she wasn't set up or equipped to handle children with disabilities she shouldn't have that job.

The facility shouldn't have taken the child if they didn't have the teachers trained on how to handle him. She had been at that job for years, and it's not a facility specifically for mentally ill children. The teacher absolutely was wrong in how she handled it, but honestly, so were the parents and the teachers supervisors for letting it get that bad.

As someone who was worked around those kind of children, I totally understand it. But I see how someone who hasn't dealt with that sort of thing would not understand.

I have two sons, and one of them does hit. And every time he hits, he goes into time out, and he is punished. He also has to go tell the person that he is sorry. And if it continues (he's about to be 2) the punishments will start getting more severe, so he will realise he has to stop. If parents dealt with this sort of thing at home, it wouldn't be a problem at school.

It said she was fired 30 min. after it was reported. I agree that it was wrong for a teacher to do such a thing. However, a tiny voice in my head (aliens) said the kid deserved it. I am not one to encourage violence but the kid did punch a little girl in the face first. I think he got what he deserved. I just don't think the teacher should have been the one to encourage it. JMO rolleyes.gif

LOL. I must have been invaded by aliens too.

Edited by Adam&Jessica
  • Like 1

I agree. Did he deserve to get hit? Sure. Should the teacher have encouraged it at the hands of other little kids? Absolutely not.

I don't even see how it's understandable... :unsure:

I don't think she is saying it's excusable just that she can understand how someone might get frustrated. I've never hit a child but I can tell you there was one person that for two years one of my children had in class who was just rude and hurtful to my child over and over. My heart beat would speed up every time I saw this child and I'd just want to grab ahold of them and say a few things but I always smiled and kept it in. Now I didn't have to deal with this child 8 hours a day, 5 days a week but just thinking about how hurtful they were to my child (and probably others) would make my blood boil.

Edited by brown*eyed*girl

My question is this: Why aren't the parents getting any grief for not keeping their child under control, or dealing with him before it got to this point?

My son is hard to deal with sometimes, but it's not because I don't do anything, and act like he's this sweet angel that the teachers are picking on. I am well aware of his behavior. He is in behavioral theropy, and we're working on it. Whose to say the mother of this child isn't doing the same thing?

I agree. Did he deserve to get hit? Sure. Should the teacher have encouraged it at the hands of other little kids? Absolutely not.

If you reread my post I am agreeing with you. I think it is totally wrong for the teacher/any adult to encourage that kind of behavior. However, like I said the aliens in my head said he deserved it. ninja.gif Maybe not 12 times but for someone to punch him like he punched that little girl. It is almost comical in a strange way. What goes around comes around. I know I know............I WILL burn in hell. laugh.gif

ETA: I reread my post and what I meant to say is that the behavior should not be encouraged by ANYONE however, like I said I think he deserved to get punched. As the old saying goes, "if you can't take it don't dish it out" or something like that. laugh.gifJMO

Edited by Davis

Go sign up to volunteer at a mental hospital or youth detention center, or better yet, apply and work there for a month. Once the kids get over you being new, and start acting "normal" again, it will take all your patience not to snap. I'm an extremely patient person, if you didn't know me, you'd probably think I'm on tranquilizers, but even I had a breaking point, which is why one day I walked out of the YDC I worked at, and never went back. Because I knew my breaking point was approaching, and that if I stayed, I'd blow up just like almost all the people I'd worked with had at one point. It doesn't matter who you are, how patient you are, sooner or later, if you are in that type of environment, or around a situation like that, you do snap.

Like I said, it's not excusable at all. She should have quietly put the kids back on the bus, and told her boss to either send the kid home, or she'd quit. But she probably didn't have enough training to deal with that type of child, and was frustrated, and probably upset, and made a bad choice.

I don't have to volunteer anywhere to justify my opinion. This lady was WRONG.

• Like 1

My son is hard to deal with sometimes, but it's not because I don't do anything, and act like he's this sweet angel that the teachers are picking on. I am well aware of his behavior. He is in behavioral theropy, and we're working on it. Whose to say the mother of this child isn't doing the same thing?

If that's the case, the teacher should have had additional training on how to handle the child, and if the child was still acting out, and the teacher didn't feel they could control him, he shouldn't have been allowed around the other children, for their own safety.

If that's the case, the teacher should have had additional training on how to handle the child, and if the child was still acting out, and the teacher didn't feel they could control him, he shouldn't have been allowed around the other children, for their own safety.

I agree. also in another one of your posts, you said you felt your breaking point aproaching, so you left the situation....I bet that teacher is really wishing she'd done the same thing.

She has lost her career over this poor judgment call. I doubt any other schools will be willing to take her on after that.

If you reread my post I am agreeing with you. I think it is totally wrong for the teacher/any adult to encourage that kind of behavior. However, like I said the aliens in my head said he deserved it. ninja.gif Maybe not 12 times but for someone to punch him like he punched that little girl. It is almost comical in a strange way. What goes around comes around. I know I know............I WILL burn in hell. laugh.gif

ETA: I reread my post and what I meant to say is that the behavior should not be encouraged by ANYONE however, like I said I think he deserved to get punched. As the old saying goes, "if you can't take it don't dish it out" or something like that. laugh.gifJMO

I read your post thats why I agreed with you, he needed a taste of his own medicine and I don't think I have aliens in my head....well, not usually!! :lol: :lol:

I agree. also in another one of your posts, you said you felt your breaking point aproaching, so you left the situation....I bet that teacher is really wishing she'd done the same thing.

She has lost her career over this poor judgment call. I doubt any other schools will be willing to take her on after that.

I'm sure she did wish she had done that. If the economy was better, maybe she would have, but she, like everyone else, probably knew she'd be unemployed, broke, and homeless if she just up and quit her job.

After what happened, I doubt she wants to jump back into dealing with kids. She's probably sick to death of them

Edited by Adam&Jessica

he deserved to get hit back by the girl that he punched, yeah.

the eleven other kids were overkill. I'm still just shocked she didn't step back after she had the first kid punch him and say "Ooops, this may be a bad idea."

the eleven other kids were overkill. I'm still just shocked she didn't step back after she had the first kid punch him and say "Ooops, this may be a bad idea."

She probably did, but couldn't figure out an easy way to stop the kids without making it obvious that she was wrong.

I'm sure she did wish she had done that. If the economy was better, maybe she would have, but she, like everyone else, probably knew she'd be unemployed, broke, and homeless if she just up and quit her job.

After what happened, I doubt she wants to jump back into dealing with kids. She's probably sick to death of them

she is headed for all of those things now.

Yeah I agree 12 times is overboard. However, I hope the boys hit the crap out of him. NOT TO OFFEND LADIES......but boys are "usually" much stronger than girls. If she had a big brother then he should have knocked his lights out for her. Thats what brother do isn't it. rofl.gif

The facility shouldn't have taken the child if they didn't have the teachers trained on how to handle him. She had been at that job for years, and it's not a facility specifically for mentally ill children. The teacher absolutely was wrong in how she handled it, but honestly, so were the parents and the teachers supervisors for letting it get that bad.

As someone who was worked around those kind of children, I totally understand it. But I see how someone who hasn't dealt with that sort of thing would not understand.

I have two sons, and one of them does hit. And every time he hits, he goes into time out, and he is punished. He also has to go tell the person that he is sorry. And if it continues (he's about to be 2) the punishments will start getting more severe, so he will realise he has to stop. If parents dealt with this sort of thing at home, it wouldn't be a problem at school.

LOL. I must have been invaded by aliens too.

Yep, I use to think that way too! UNTIL, I worked with children who spit in my face, scratched until they got blood, hit, kicked, and pulled out hand fulls of hair. Some parents that I met did all they could to stop the behavior, and sad to say it didn't help.

But NEVER not ONCE did I EVER think about hitting the child or having other kids do it......and guess how much job training I had?.....Uh on the job training!

Edited by overit
  • Like 2

So a good teacher loses a career over a little thug that preys on those weaker than him including females. This little thug will grow up to be a big thug that will prey on others in society, be a lifer on the entitlement system, have a criminal record a mile long and be yet another burden on the system. HUMMM I wonder how Devarious Williams mother, Barbara Mobley pays for the little angel to attend private school, Government vouchers maybe??

Devarious obviously has a history of violence at the tender age of 5, why was this teacher placed in a position to even be having to deal with this Jr. POS.

And when did it become taboo to teach kids to defend themselves from attack, and that it is now OK for someone to hit you but you cannot hit them back.

WOW, mom sure looks like a welfare momma to me. has two other kids with different last names also. SHE MUST be an upstanding citizen.(Yea I’m judging a book by its cover so sue me)

n100000690713917_3229.jpg

Barbara's facebook page.

Edited by wcso84
  • Like 2

Yep, I use to think that way too! UNTIL, I worked with children who spit in my face, scratched until they got blood, hit, kicked, and pulled out hand fulls of hair. Some parents that I met did all they could to stop the behavior, and sad to say it didn't help.

But NEVER not ONCE did I EVER think about hitting the child or having other kids do it......and guess how much job training I had?.....Uh on the job training!

:good: :clapping:

So a good teacher loses a career over a little thug that preys on those weaker than him including females. This little thug will grow up to be a big thug that will prey on others in society, be a lifer on the entitlement system, have a criminal record a mile long and be yet another burden on the system. HUMMM I wonder how Devarious Williams mother, Barbara Mobley pays for the little angel to attend private school, Government vouchers maybe??

Devarious obviously has a history of violence at the tender age of 5, why was this teacher placed in a position to even be having to deal with this Jr. POS.

And when did it become taboo to teach kids to defend themselves from attack, and that it is now OK for someone to hit you but you cannot hit them back.

WOW, mom sure looks like a welfare momma to me. has two other kids with different last names also. SHE MUST be an upstanding citizen.(Yea I’m judging a book by its cover so sue me)

n100000690713917_3229.jpg

Barbara's facebook page.

Holy crap he is only 5, there is a chance for him to be more than a POS! :wacko:

If their child is still acting like that, and they really and truly have tried everything they can, then that child needs to see a psychologist, and get some major treatment. I never gave a serious thought to hitting a child either, but my former coworkers sure did, after things like having (literally) crap thrown at them, being peed on, having hair pulled out, having their noses broken, or being severely bitten. Those children were so bad their parents couldn't handle them, which is why they were there. But even most of those kids, especially the non mentally ill ones, could have been handled at home if their parents really tried EVERYTHING legally available.