Paulding.com

Black Hawk helicoptors to start training

Citizens protesting the disturbances by the training exercises and noise at the airport. They were informed that the exercises will be allowed. CORRECTION: They were informed that the memorandum of agreement would be tabled for 30 more days to allow the group of homeowners to select a spokesperson who will present the case why this use should not be allowed.

They were informed that as a public airport, the helicopters are allowed to come to the facility and land if they so choose.

They may not, until the memorandum of agreement is accepted, be able to tether a two-ton rock and fly that rock around the airport and land with it and once untethered fly off from the rock. That tethering and untethering is the essence of the training they are proposing.

If the county chooses to not sign the memorandum of agreement and not allow the two-ton rock used for training, those who oppose the use simply say that the helicopters wouldn't have a reason to come.

The airport authority has not said that they will be paid any fee for allowing the use nor have they alleged that any federal dollars for hangers or future development would go away by their refusal to allow the training exercise here.

Click for RECENT TOPICS click for RECENT TOPICS click for RECENT TOPICS

I honestly don't see a problem with this. The airport was all ready there so why don't use it. We support our military, so why not support this? This will help our military. And if people are complaining about noise pollution, well, it was all ready there when other planes were taking off and landing.

• Like 1

I don't live far from there and will probably have several over my house from time to time. As long as it doesn't start at 6:00am and last til 11:00 pm, I don't have a problem. I just have to sleep sometime. :ninja: I say bring it on if it's providing some source of income for our county. :)

I honestly don't see a problem with this. The airport was all ready there so why don't use it. We support our military, so why not support this? This will help our military. And if people are complaining about noise pollution, well, it was all ready there when other planes were taking off and landing.

the airports only been there for 5 minutes.

not too sure that any other planes were already taking off and landing.

i'm far enough away from it that it shouldn't bother me at all. unless one crashes. but hey, that's the risk that's run everytime anything is flying.

i work near mcullom. i hafta sit at the light at 41 for at least 10 minutes every afternoon. so far no aircraft have fallen on my head. :fingerscrossed:

Guest Oscar

:wacko: I won't say NUTTIN'! :angry:

(this coming from someone who has a family member who served in a Iraq flying blawkhawks for Army medevac ... and he's on his 2nd tour flying something different)

I say more power to the guys and I hope they stay safe.

I think it is crazy to be fighting something like this.

since their route was changed they fly over my house everyday,

I say the airport should be used for something and this is a good cause.

Good grief..They BITCH about that..We support the military till we have to listen to them..Helos that is nothing...They need to fly some F-18's over their houses :pardon:

Now DC ... I'm not taking sides in this and the only grief the airport authority would have from allowing this is from the homeowners.

So why would the homeowners object?

I'm not sure but the lay of the land there may actually work to amplify the sound of the rather powerful blackhawk helicopters who will be running at near full throttle lifting the two-ton rock off the ground. With no soundeadening berms in the east and southeast and sound-shielding berms in the west/northwest, the terrain could be kind of like an amphitheater and if the helicopter sound is amplified in that manner, late night and early morning operations could be an imposition.

Now I'm not saying that it is ... but if it was then the homeowners could have a legitimate beef. (I would recommend that the homeowners, if they feel that the terrain does amplify the sound and funnel it their way would do well to have some professional sound engineers do some tests to prove that point.

However, even that wouldn't be a deal killer for the training project as there may be some other areas on the airport property that might be better suited to the training ... i.e. not in a position that amplifies and funnels the sound to the homeowners.

The point I make is that if there is a legitimate, provable interference with the quiet enjoyment of their home - and I mean significantly more disturbing sound levels than a typical city dweller would have residing 300-feet from a rail-road track - their case begins to make sense. For instance, if the sound at 6500 feet south of the terminal is actually louder than a freight train 50-feet from the tracks in Dallas (as measured in decibels) and higher than at the terminal (1000 feet from the training area), the authority and the Air Guard ought to consider relocating the position of the main training.

In my opinion, though, if that is the complaint, then it is incumbent on the homeowners to come up with the scientific evidence to prove their complaint is legitimate.

pubby