Paulding.com

Jury awards NC Woman 9 million

http://www.aolnews.com/nation/article/jury-awards-nc-woman-9-million-from-husbands-mistress/19405886?icid=main|htmlws-main-w|dl1|link6|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aolnews.com%2Fnation%2Farticle%2Fjury-awards-nc-woman-9-million-from-husbands-mistress%2F19405886

GREENSBORO, N.C. (March 18) - A jury has awarded a North Carolina woman $9 million from her husband's lover after ruling the other woman ruined their marriage.

The News & Record of Greensboro reports the jury ruled this week in 60-year-old Cynthia Shackelford's alienation of affection case. North Carolina is one of a handful of states that allow jilted spouses to sue over affairs.

Shackelford says her husband was a Greensboro attorney when he started an affair before separating from her in April 2005.

The other woman didn't respond to a message left by the newspaper.

Shackelford's lawyer says she might not get the full $9 million, but Shackelford wanted to send a message that the sanctity of marriage should be respected.

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

this should happen in every state! If there was consequences to everyones actions...then some of this stuff would stop. Yes, cheating has been around since the beginning of time. BUT women and men seek out married people to date. Because they don't want a commitment.

It pisses me off when this happens. If you're going to go outside of the marriage then you need to give your spouse the option of knowing this. If you're brave enough to sneak around and do it...be flippin brave enough to do it to their face and ACCEPT te consequences of what's going to happen. Give your spouse to have the same option that you are about to do.

Maybe if someone cheats, then the other party (if aware of the marriage) should be required to pay all the time. I think those who profit from having an affair should be required to pay all profits earned to the legal other spouse. I'm thinking of the skanks profiting from Tiger Woods, or the new one with Sandra Bullock's husband. If any money they earn from the activity goes directly to the spouse, then they won't be jumping on the interviews as quickly.

I am talking about the ones who profit more than the other. So, yeah, Sandra ought to get any money tattoo girl is making from her diarrhea of the mouth about how she went about destroying a relationship. Criminals are not supposed to be able to make money from publicity related to their crime, so shouldn't this be the same type thing? What she decides to do with the money is up to her. If Sandra Bullock wants to donate all the money to some charity, good for her, but skank-ho shouldn't be cashing the checks! Same with any other indiscretion, male or female. Don't get me wrong, the spouse who was involved should pay, too. I am focusing more on the ones profiting in some way. Not that I would be opposed to it being a crime that was truly punished more often, even if it is only financially.

Just came in for lunch and then I am outta here, but I think more women like the "OTHER WOMAN" should have to suffer consequences like this.I also think the Man should have to pay the same,sorry guys stop here if your offended, but men should start thinking with their brain and stay away from women like that, if they can't , they need to pay too.

I think the cheater should have to pay----the one in the marriage. I don't feel that the "mistress" person is responsible for making sure someone sticks to their marriage vows.

i don't necessarily disagree with 'damages' being awarded in a divorce.

doesn't that happen already though? the cheater winds up with less property and/or assets when they're found at fault?

I think that if the woman/man KNOWS the person they are sleeping with is married should be held just as liable as the married one!

In this state it don't matter if they cheat. You don't get anything more/less than you are intitled to. They just get to walk away. If you own a house...they get half and half of the bank accounts. Half of everything...

I think that if the woman/man KNOWS the person they are sleeping with is married should be held just as liable as the married one!

In this state it don't matter if they cheat. You don't get anything more/less than you are intitled to. They just get to walk away. If you own a house...they get half and half of the bank accounts. Half of everything...

Sounds like this thread hit a sore spot.