Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
Sugail

The Good Ole Days

When you think about the "good ole days" what do you think about?

One of the things I think about is going home for lunch everyday in elementary school. We lived about a block away from school. My mom would have my favorite lunch ready, chicken noodle soup and pb&j sandwich.

When you think about the "good ole days" what do you think about?

One of the things I think about is going home for lunch everyday in elementary school. We lived about a block away from school. My mom would have my favorite lunch ready, chicken noodle soup and pb&j sandwich.

Ok...you lost me...you could go HOME for lunch??? When and where was this??? I just gotta know~~~ :pardon:

I did attend a school called Kenwood in Smyrna (yes, it comes with a stigma too...but it offered me the extra credits I needed to graduate with my class). It was 'open campus', so I could go to Burger Doodle or go home and make a sammich.

i much prefer to reminisce about my 'bad ol days'!

We share a common bond here.....but please!!! Don't tell anyone! :clapping: :rofl:

Ok...you lost me...you could go HOME for lunch??? When and where was this??? I just gotta know~~~ :pardon:

I did attend a school called Kenwood in Smyrna (yes, it comes with a stigma too...but it offered me the extra credits I needed to graduate with my class). It was 'open campus', so I could go to Burger Doodle or go home and make a sammich.

We share a common bond here.....but please!!! Don't tell anyone! :clapping: :rofl:

I started elementary school in the late 50's (I'm old) in Indianapolis, and yes we went home for lunch, no cafeteria in the school. And if you remember the "good ole days" by reminiscing about the "bad" things you did and it brings back fond memories, then that's what I was after, so that's okay.

I started elementary school in the late 50's (I'm old) in Indianapolis, and yes we went home for lunch, no cafeteria in the school. And if you remember the "good ole days" by reminiscing about the "bad" things you did and it brings back fond memories, then that's what I was after, so that's okay.

10-4. God Bless ya!!! You made me feel younger than I've felt in a long time (no offense) I admire people older than myself. They have more wisdom, and I try to be all open ears! ;)

I think the song "These are the Good Ole Days." My memory is really pretty bad--so I have to be happy--which I am--in the present. Sugail My DH is from Indianapois(Plainfield), too. He moved here in I think 1985.

Life when I lived overseas...Eating dinner at Midnight, sleeping till 1100..Having the beach 1 street over from my apartment..Those were goodtimes..But as my kids would say it was the STONEAGES..As soon as I got pregnant I came back to the states..No way were any of my children going to be born anywhere but on AMERICAN SOIL :wub:

I think the song "These are the Good Ole Days." My memory is really pretty bad--so I have to be happy--which I am--in the present. Sugail My DH is from Indianapois(Plainfield), too. He moved here in I think 1985.

I moved from the southside of Indianapolis to a Chicago suburb in 1985, then moved down to Georgia in 1987. Plainfield is west of Indianapolis if I remember correctly. "These are the Good Ole Days" is sung by Carly Simon isn't it?

I also went home for lunch in middle and high school. We lived one block away from each. There was no such thing as "closed campus" then. We did what we wanted, as long as we came back in time for the next class!

I moved from the southside of Indianapolis to a Chicago suburb in 1985, then moved down to Georgia in 1987. Plainfield is west of Indianapolis if I remember correctly. "These are the Good Ole Days" is sung by Carly Simon isn't it?

Yes--Carly Simon. It came into my head as soon as I saw the topic.

My mother would make T Cakes and have them waiting for me when I got home. I bet most people don't know what a T Cake is.tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

i know what T cakes are WB ... my granny made them up till year before last .. i never cared for them tho ... good lawd she was always trying to get me to eat them lol .. gotta love granny .. of course she is 95 now ... so no more bakin for her ...

Wow what a small world.. My dad grew up in Plainfield & Avon.. My dads family still lives there.

taking our trip to Alabama, seem like it took all day to get there. we would leave from Marietta (Austell road), to go all the way to Wedowee,Big mama would make homemade glazed doughnuts, we had homemade ice cream (not in the same day), she also took me fishing on the backwater, I loved the nights and early mornings there,I would sit in the porch swing and watch the deer cross.

Tallapoosa was where my other grandparents lived , we would always go Bankhead hwy. I knew we were close when I seen that Tower. I was the youngest, so I was in the middle of the back seat. Granny always had ice cream when we got there. we would sit on the porch of thier home and watch the cars go by, they lived at the corner of Hwy. 100 and hwy. 120.

Papa passed Christmas Day 1999 and I spent the next 8 years traveling every week to Wedowee to take care of my dad. I swear sometimes I think my car knew the way there. I fought with my self as to whether he should come here to Dallas to live or stay down there. I left him there and traveled Hwy 100 every week for 8 years to clean his apartment and do his laundry, I cooked quauntities (but portion control) of meats and veggies (I love to cook) and would freeze them in containers where he could warm them. He passed on 8-8-08, so now my trips to Wedowee is over. I would do it again because God gave me alot of thinking time on my travel there.And all of this is Great memories to me .I am going outside now to enjoy the beauty and warm weather.

I miss being care-free!! Ahhh--the fun we used to have. My later teen years were the best. Being out all the time, visiting, cruising, and of course behaving ourselves :ninja: . Pit parties (in sand pits, and clear cut landings), with bonfires and tents. I miss all my friends, as we are spread out from one corner of the country to the other. Also, going to concerts. We would go to every show that came close to us.

The second round of my good ole days, is when my boys were babies. Sitting out in the shade, holding my precious little babies, listening to the birds. Now, I dont think I could hear a rooster over the two of them!! :wacko:

Thanks for bringing me back to these days--I really needed to think of that and smile today!!

Oh, and NC-13 I hear you on the 3am skinny dipping. Four of us went to the lake one night, used a paddle boat to get to the huge water trampoline--fully clothed at the time. Well the paddle boat got stuck on the buoy rope--we had to swim back to shore--and the rest is history!!!!!!!!!!

My mother would make T Cakes and have them waiting for me when I got home. I bet most people don't know what a T Cake is.tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

Mother made Tea Cakes with bits of Black Walnuts. Pure heaven!

Wow what a small world.. My dad grew up in Plainfield & Avon.. My dads family still lives there.

Yes it is. He went to high school in Plainfield and Avon. His last uncle there died this month. He still has some aunts and a stepdad on his Mom's side (family name Ping) and his grandfather and some uncles on his Dad's side (Cummins).

As a child playing outside from morning until it got dark. Riding in the woods, swimming in the creek, and climbing trees. Going to my grandparent's house on Sundays after church to watch football and eat dinner, then going outside with my cousins to catch lightning bugs.

When I was a teen and my friends and I were old enough to drive, we spent the entire summers at the lake. If we weren't working, we were laying out during the day, riding jet skis or boats, and camping out at night. Gosh, we had so much fun when we'd camp out there. Nearly all the campsites there were other friends and schoolmates. We'd have a big fire and everyone would navigate to one campsite to hang out. And do what good kids do. :ninja: So much fun.

I am so lucky; I am still friends all of those girls. Some of us are scattered all over the country, and some of us may go a month or three without talking. But when we get together we still have a blast and are all still such great friends. Actually, when we get together we revert back to our teenage selves...

taking our trip to Alabama, seem like it took all day to get there. we would leave from Marietta (Austell road), to go all the way to Wedowee,Big mama would make homemade glazed doughnuts, we had homemade ice cream (not in the same day), she also took me fishing on the backwater, I loved the nights and early mornings there,I would sit in the porch swing and watch the deer cross.

Tallapoosa was where my other grandparents lived , we would always go Bankhead hwy. I knew we were close when I seen that Tower. I was the youngest, so I was in the middle of the back seat. Granny always had ice cream when we got there. we would sit on the porch of thier home and watch the cars go by, they lived at the corner of Hwy. 100 and hwy. 120.

Papa passed Christmas Day 1999 and I spent the next 8 years traveling every week to Wedowee to take care of my dad. I swear sometimes I think my car knew the way there. I fought with my self as to whether he should come here to Dallas to live or stay down there. I left him there and traveled Hwy 100 every week for 8 years to clean his apartment and do his laundry, I cooked quauntities (but portion control) of meats and veggies (I love to cook) and would freeze them in containers where he could warm them. He passed on 8-8-08, so now my trips to Wedowee is over. I would do it again because God gave me alot of thinking time on my travel there.And all of this is Great memories to me .I am going outside now to enjoy the beauty and warm weather.

You sound like you were a wonderful daughter to your father.

I would do it again because God gave me alot of thinking time on my travel there.And all of this is Great memories to me .I am going outside now to enjoy the beauty and warm weather.

I commend you for doing all of that for your father :wub:

Oh yeah, playing from sun up to sun down with my best friends....six flags in the '70's....remember cherry berries? Kens Pizza....Gatlinburg 70's.....homemade ice cream on Easter at my grandparents....

I also went home for lunch in middle and high school. We lived one block away from each. There was no such thing as "closed campus" then. We did what we wanted, as long as we came back in time for the next class!

Same here.

I had never heard of closed campus til I moved to Georgia,

my nieces and nephews are still free to leave school for lunch.

When I lived in ohio my mom would pick me up from school for lunch..take us to Pizza Hut for personal pan pizzas! That was the best we had an open campus too!

However the best memories were on Lake Erie with my family! So many summers on the boat so many boat trips!

Oh yeah, playing from sun up to sun down with my best friends....six flags in the '70's....remember cherry berries? Kens Pizza....Gatlinburg 70's.....homemade ice cream on Easter at my grandparents....

First Six Flags season pass 1975. Ken's Pizza after the Pebblebrook Friday night football games. The marching band would go there and the football team would go to RJ's in Mableton. And Gatlinburg, we alwasy stayed at The Riverhouse, Pancake Pantry for breakfast and then hit the candy store to hear the taffy machines. Oh what great memories :D

First Six Flags season pass 1975. Ken's Pizza after the Pebblebrook Friday night football games. The marching band would go there and the football team would go to RJ's in Mableton. And Gatlinburg, we alwasy stayed at The Riverhouse, Pancake Pantry for breakfast and then hit the candy store to hear the taffy machines. Oh what great memories :D

That is too funny, went to RJ's too. Pancake Pantry MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM! I would go and get peanut butter fudge.....

Was Six Flags not the greatest then. Me and my friends had the best time. I would take 5 dollars and that would do me all day. After the fireworks we knew that our mom was sitting outside waiting on us. We always stayed at the Glenstone Lodge back then. We loved the indoor swimming pool.

AHHHHH, if I could just take my kids back and show them how much fun we had without all this technology.

That is too funny, went to RJ's too. Pancake Pantry MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM! I would go and get peanut butter fudge.....

Was Six Flags not the greatest then. Me and my friends had the best time. I would take 5 dollars and that would do me all day. After the fireworks we knew that our mom was sitting outside waiting on us. We always stayed at the Glenstone Lodge back then. We loved the indoor swimming pool.

AHHHHH, if I could just take my kids back and show them how much fun we had without all this technology.

LOL the 5 dollar thing. You're right 5 bucks a slice of pizza, coke, and a cherry berry. Actually we got cherry berrys all year long my neighbor was the secretary for the big guy in food service.

Glenstone Lodge, we stayed there a couple of times for the indoor pool as well. Remember Rebel Corner and the big giant slides that they had that you rode on a potato sack OMG :yahoo:

Small world I remember RJs, Yep Mableton was my old stomping grounds too. Did you ever hang out in Hawthorne Plaza, You could sit on the hood of your car, and hang out with friends allnight without being considered to be loitering by the local LE. Or you could do the same at the Marbro twin drive-in. Man those were the days.

I think kids today are really missing out, even with all their gadgets and games. There were always kids outside playing in the neighborhoods or the neighborhood parks. On Saturdays, my sister and I and some of our friends would either ride the city bus, the bus stop was only a couple of blocks away, or we would walk the 14 or 15 blocks downtown to the Circle Theater. We were never afraid of going with just a few kids and no adults.

I wonder how many folks remeber the 70s when there was a national moto cross race in the Burnt Hickory area, in fact the race track was where the Reids Plantation subdivision is currently located.

Bob "Hurricane" Hannah fell at the start of the race, then rode all the way to the lead by passing Marty Smith before the race was over.

To me, the good ole days were when me and a coupleorthree friends ,with a couple of bucks in quarters between us could spend hours playing a 300 like this one on a summer day at the pool at McKinneys pond. The 300 was/is one of my favorites. Even the reset (the sound you hear at the beginning of the video where the machine sets itself for a new game) is part of the memory of playing, not to mention the sounds of the bells and bumpers. <pure bliss>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPj-8Arrhno&NR=1

Edited by wcso84