Paulding.com

Detroit Can't Wear "smell good" Anymore

I can't imagine what some folks are thinking. What is this country coming to? I believe some "idiots" need to be run out of town and told never to come back.

Stank Link

This includes perfumes, cologne, DEODORANTS, body lotions, etc.................. :unsure:

Edited by Blazing Saddles

There are tons of unscented deodorants, etc. on the market. They be be stink free and still be stink free.

I am sick to death of choking on the stench of somebody's cologne, perfume, body spray, whatever else. They are doing this as a response to a successful lawsuit. Makes sense to me. Just hope it stays a matter for the workplace to determine and doesn't become some idiot's idea of a good new law.

There are tons of unscented deodorants, etc. on the market. They be be stink free and still be stink free.

I am sick to death of choking on the stench of somebody's cologne, perfume, body spray, whatever else. They are doing this as a response to a successful lawsuit. Makes sense to me. Just hope it stays a matter for the workplace to determine and doesn't become some idiot's idea of a good new law.

Is someone's perfume enough to file a lawsuit? Is it enough to change city law? What if someone can't stand the sight of red heads? See, it can never end. Another slippery slope some go down because it affects them.

Is someone's perfume enough to file a lawsuit? Is it enough to change city law? What if someone can't stand the sight of red heads? See, it can never end. Another slippery slope some go down because it affects them.

Obviously you do not have any allergies to smells. This has nothing to do with being able "to stand" something. I applaud this decision as I suffer all the time from others perfumes/colognes. I have asthma and migraines. Either one of these can be triggered by smells. I have had to ask a few co-workers to stop wearing certain perfumes. I really never know what will bother me from day to day. It really sux being like this because people don't understand and I would love to be able to wear something to make me smell girlie. I can tolerate something one day and the next be sick from it.

Please don't judge this decision because I'm sure there are many more people out there like me. We have no control over how our bodies react to these things.

Good grief!!!!!! This is really overboard. If someone's scent was that overpowering and complaints were made that should be addressed on a case by case basis, because I do agree that some people take a bath in fragrance, but there is no way I would work/shop, etc where I was TOLD I could not wear perfume, thats ridiculous!

Obviously you do not have any allergies to smells. This has nothing to do with being able "to stand" something. I applaud this decision as I suffer all the time from others perfumes/colognes. I have asthma and migraines. Either one of these can be triggered by smells. I have had to ask a few co-workers to stop wearing certain perfumes. I really never know what will bother me from day to day. It really sux being like this because people don't understand and I would love to be able to wear something to make me smell girlie. I can tolerate something one day and the next be sick from it.

Please don't judge this decision because I'm sure there are many more people out there like me. We have no control over how our bodies react to these things.

Totally agree. My son and I are both sensitive to smells. I get a severe headache when I smell blue glass cleaner and so does my son. Also the tar smell when they're working on the roads makes me sick. This is not something we ask for - I would much prefer not being sensitive to those smells.

Good grief!!!!!! This is really overboard. If someone's scent was that overpowering and complaints were made that should be addressed on a case by case basis, because I do agree that some people take a bath in fragrance, but there is no way I would work/shop, etc where I was TOLD I could not wear perfume, thats ridiculous!

You would think it would be that easy, but believe me it's not. There are some people that just don't believe the perfume/cologne are a problem and if it's a boss or HR person, they won't do anything about it.

::raiseshand:: Me. My allergic reaction has gone so far as to swell my sinus area to the point that my eyes are swollen shut.

You know.....we cannot please everyone all of the time. I've read the story on a couple of news sources. I think that if the perfume was a problem, then move desks or departments - but, then, who gets moved? The complainer or the one being complained about? I do believe in majority rules. If the majority were not bothered, then the one being bothered should be relocated. My MIL cannot tolerate the smell of perfume (makes her sneeze- sometimes gives headache)& I don't wear perfume around her; however, she smokes and doesn't have the same consideration for others she demands for herself - she thinks that smoking outside - regardless of the smoke blowing in your face and not hers - shouldn't be a problem. I say, make things as comfortable as you can for yourself, but for heavens sakes, we just cannot keep passing laws trying to protect each individual - with a bazillion people in this country - what will the result be?

You know.....we cannot please everyone all of the time. I've read the story on a couple of news sources. I think that if the perfume was a problem, then move desks or departments - but, then, who gets moved? The complainer or the one being complained about? I do believe in majority rules. If the majority were not bothered, then the one being bothered should be relocated. My MIL cannot tolerate the smell of perfume (makes her sneeze- sometimes gives headache)& I don't wear perfume around her; however, she smokes and doesn't have the same consideration for others she demands for herself - she thinks that smoking outside - regardless of the smoke blowing in your face and not hers - shouldn't be a problem. I say, make things as comfortable as you can for yourself, but for heavens sakes, we just cannot keep passing laws trying to protect each individual - with a bazillion people in this country - what will the result be?

I would be perfectly fine moving myself if it were possible. Again as I have said you have to have a sympathetic boss for anything to be done. I think this is a great step to protect those of us that cannot help how our bodies react. What happens if you have a boss/company you work for that doesn't give a rats a$$ and I have to go home or to the Dr on a regular basis because the environment is making me ill? I've used all of my sick days and now I'm in jeopardy of being fired?? If the Americans with Disabilities Act now recognizes this as a problem, my job is protected.

Not only can this be a big deal in offices, but also in schools. My son has had cologne/perfume sprayed at him in school and then he develops a bad headache. Also when they decide to clean with spray products, like in restaurants they use the blue spray a lot on the tables, I have to get up and walk out. People that don't have the sensitivity don't understand or believe it.

What happens if you have a boss/company you work for that doesn't give a rats a$$

I do feel your pain. I worked with a guy who wanted a window cube. He was moved next to me. Well, he wanted the blind shut. Why - the sun bothered him! Go figure. At first, I argued the point - even suggested he position his workspace to where the sun didn't shine on him, but I (and the cubicle across the aisle) could have sunshine. He'd have none of that. Took 5 months to get him moved BACK to a cubie without windows - and, then he took it to personnel for discrimination (didn't go anywhere and he ended up leaving the company).

I know that's not like being allergic, but, no office is perfect. Personally, I've been in a situation where the boss didn't give a rats @$$ about the office pet dumping everything on me (she was late, she had to leave early, her dog was sick, her child was sick, her husband was sick, her grandmother dies, etc., etc.), my life was a living hell - but, instead of asking for things to change for me - I left the company. Their loss. Took 2 full time and 1 part time employee to replace me. And, I heard she quit in a huff because it was realized that she actually didn't do any work - and was forced to do something for a change. Boss (and others) called me for a solid month wanting me to come back.

Like someone else said - we're heading down a slippery slope when it gets to be all about the individual at the cost of the majority. It's much easier (and less stressful) for you to move on to a place where you are happy and there are no allergy problems than to force everyone around you to conform. Creates hard feelings and a not so nice place to work.

Not only can this be a big deal in offices, but also in schools. My son has had cologne/perfume sprayed at him in school and then he develops a bad headache. Also when they decide to clean with spray products, like in restaurants they use the blue spray a lot on the tables, I have to get up and walk out. People that don't have the sensitivity don't understand or believe it.

I do understand and I DO believe it. As a migraine sufferer, I have several triggers.

Now, spraying perfume on your son is completely inappropriate and hopefully was dealt with. Although, I hope it wasn't a zero tolerance and treated as an assault (unless she sprayed it in his eyes on purpose).

My son came in last year smelling horrible and said the boys were now using deodorant/body spray - that Axe stuff - and that one of the boys was spraying all of the others in the locker room. He reaked. Rode home with all the windows down and he immediately took a shower!

I have had this problem for years. Because I worked at a place where people wore so much perfumes/colognes I suffered all the time. I had so many sinus infections that I ended up having to have surgery.

My point is "Where does it stop?" I completely understand folk's reactions to certain things but where does it stop. Can you all see that we are becoming a society where 1 person dictates everything? You can't say certain things because "one" person might get offended. You can't wear certain things because "one" might get offended. You can't excel in school because "one" might get left behind. You can't reward personal acheivement because "one" might feel left out. You can't have gum in school because "one" may not get some. I'm not a yea or nea on the subject I am just trying to make people aware of the principle we are setting. If I can't tolerate a woman wearing a red dress, do I sue the company to make it against corporate rules? If the clicking of high heels on the floor make me "loose it", do I sue the city to require soft bottom shoes? It sounds ridiculous but that is the same principle. Just putting a thinking item out there to ponder. ;)

Edited by Blazing Saddles

My point is "Where does it stop?" I completely understand folk's reactions to certain things but where does it stop. Can you all see that we are becoming a society where 1 person dictates everything? You can't say certain things because "one" person might get offended. You can't wear certain things because "one" might get offended. You can't excel in school because "one" might get left behind. You can reward personal acheivement because "one" might feel left out. You can't have gum in school because "one" may not get some. I'm not a yea or nea on the subject I am just trying to make people aware of the principle we are setting. If I can't tolerate a woman wearing a red dress, do I sue the company to make it against corporate rules? If the clicking of high heels on the floor make me "loose it", do I sue the city to require soft bottom shoes? It sounds ridiculous but that is the same principle. Just putting a thinking item out there to ponder. ;)

I agree, What's next no crying children in public? This a prime example of TOO MUCH GOVT.

Couldn't you have come up with a different example? Don't red heads get picked on enough? How about a baseball coach wearing shiny shorts? I only remember it once--but it did start a conversation--your DW included. :)

After visiting Dubai for a week and being in a closed office/elevator/bathroom with people that don't believe in cologne, deodorant, perfume (or any good body hygiene) I can tell you that I'd much rather have someone wearing some "smell good". If the gov'ment wanted to go after something they should go after those that SMELL BAD instead of those who try to smell pleasant.

If I was one of those who had "offended" someone by my cologne then I would make sure that I wore the the same clothes day after day, put them in moth balls every evening for safe keepings, eat a large onion on the way to the office, forget to brush my teeth, etc. Basically the same way you'd dress if you were going to a audit meeting with the IRS.

That's what happens when the gov'ment gets involved and tries to 'protect' people from others. Personal liberties violated once again by the gov'ment!

After visiting Dubai for a week and being in a closed office/elevator/bathroom with people that don't believe in cologne, deodorant, perfume (or any good body hygiene) I can tell you that I'd much rather have someone wearing some "smell good". If the gov'ment wanted to go after something they should go after those that SMELL BAD instead of those who try to smell pleasant.

If I was one of those who had "offended" someone by my cologne then I would make sure that I wore the the same clothes day after day, put them in moth balls every evening for safe keepings, eat a large onion on the way to the office, forget to brush my teeth, etc. Basically the same way you'd dress if you were going to a audit meeting with the IRS.

That's what happens when the gov'ment gets involved and tries to 'protect' people from others. Personal liberties violated once again by the gov'ment!

Ya'll just don't get it. I and others like me (Madea and Solo have agreed) that we are allergic to it. It causes our bodies to physically react in ways we have no control over. I get either a migraine or asthma attack.

As far as your experience in Dubai, I had quite the opposite. I was behind two Emirati men in one of the malls and the cologne they had on wafted behind them. I had to completely go in another direction to get away from it.

KidzArt, Solo, and most especially Madea :wub: , I need to say that I understand your reactions to those things and I sympathize. My youngest has asthma, peanut, and egg allergies. I am just putting the issue out there to find out where does it stop?

Remind me to pack my onions and garlic that next time I visit a Detroit customer site.

Me Loves Onions! :D But most don't, so that's probably a good idea!

KidzArt, Solo, and most especially Madea :wub: , I need to say that I understand your reactions to those things and I sympathize. My youngest has asthma, peanut, and egg allergies. I am just putting the issue out there to find out where does it stop?

It's too late to apologize. :p

As far as your experience in Dubai, I had quite the opposite. I was behind two Emirati men in one of the malls and the cologne they had on wafted behind them. I had to completely go in another direction to get away from it.

YES! I've traveled to Kuwait, Dubai, and Bahrain. And I've never smelled so much cologne and perfume in my life! I don't have allergies and it bothered me terribly.

Unfortunately, when it comes to government agencies, that is not an option. They would open themselves up to many more lawsuits based on discrimination. Who decides what scents are too strong or objectionable? I don't agree with it ... just understand it.

Hadit been up to me, I would have thrown the suit out and told all parties to act like grown ups and work it out. That's not what happens this day and age and this new policy is based on a successful lawsuit. Period. Seems to me that, based on that successful lawsuit, it is the smart course of action that will protect taxpayer money.

They probably wouldn't have been able to work it out because they wouldn't believe or understand the problems that it caused that employee. Unless you are bothered by these things, you don't understand how troublesome it can be.

Here's an example: I get very sick, sleepy, and even experience "coma" type symptoms when too much carbon monoxide enters my lungs. In extreme measures, death could ensue. Do I have a legitimate complaint against, lets say, the state of GA for allowing cars to be driven inside its borders? Could I sue on the same grounds as this plaintiff? Just a principle thing and not a personal thing. I want to make sure that my friends here understand that. :wub: And anyone else too. :wub:

Here's an example: I get very sick, sleepy, and even experience "coma" type symptoms when too much carbon monoxide enters my lungs. In extreme measures, death could ensue. Do I have a legitimate complaint against, lets say, the state of GA for allowing cars to be driven inside its borders? Could I sue on the same grounds as this plaintiff? Just a principle thing and not a personal thing. I want to make sure that my friends here understand that. :wub: And anyone else too. :wub:

Aside from that being a very different scenario, you're also missing the point ... this new policy was put into place after a lost lawsuit. It would be irresponsible of them to ignore that giant sign and continue to risk taxpayer money. If you really feel you can win that lawsuit, take it to court. The policy wasn't pulled out of somebody's butt ... it was because of a lawsuit verdict. Take issue with the judges and lawyers and the rest of the system, not the folks that have to respond to what comes from those decisions.

Although, I just reread it and it seems you kind of taking shots in the right direction ... perhaps I should go back to sleep now. :blush:

Aside from that being a very different scenario, you're also missing the point ... this new policy was put into place after a lost lawsuit. It would be irresponsible of them to ignore that giant sign and continue to risk taxpayer money. If you really feel you can win that lawsuit, take it to court. The policy wasn't pulled out of somebody's butt ... it was because of a lawsuit verdict. Take issue with the judges and lawyers and the rest of the system, not the folks that have to respond to what comes from those decisions.

Although, I just reread it and it seems you kind of taking shots in the right direction ... perhaps I should go back to sleep now. :blush:

I understand Detroit's choices are zero after the lawsuit. I am afraid that lawsuits with these verdicts are very dangerous and we are willing to hand over personal freedoms sometimes without realizing the long term consequences. Given inches eventually become a mile.

I understand Detroit's choices are zero after the lawsuit. I am afraid that lawsuits with these verdicts are very dangerous and we are willing to hand over personal freedoms sometimes without realizing the long term consequences. Given inches eventually become a mile.

Agreed but there are many places in this country where the people have no direct say in their judges ... pay attention, folks. Cast your votes wisely. If there was no real issue of illness not taken seriously (and I really haven't researched this case yet), then ok ... but if it was just a whiner that didn't like being no, it is the pits.

KidzArt, Solo, and most especially Madea wub.gif , I need to say that I understand your reactions to those things and I sympathize. My youngest has asthma, peanut, and egg allergies. I am just putting the issue out there to find out where does it stop?

Just for the record, I've never filed suit over perfume. although I may have had one against one particular office that used to provide a service to me. :lol: In addition, I have left restaurants who choose to clean while I am there. There are stores (such as Kirkland's) that I can't even go into or near and have to move to the other side in the mall. AND, make no mistake, my family knows very well what will happen if someone attempts to sweep around our table while we are eating or begins cleaning while we are eating. :rofl:

:wub: ya BS!

My son says he gets really nauseous when he sees too much brown (yes, he's different). That should put both kids through college! :lol:

I tease. I'd hate to work with someone who wore that much smell good.

Whenever I hear of Detroit I think of this song...