Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
HardwareDJ

HOA Question

For those who have lived in a subdivision with a HOA what do you do if you know you will not be there for the entire year?

I will be selling my house and moving at the end of May.

Therefore I do not see where I should have to pay the entire annual HOA fee and will just be paying half.

But how do I let them know I will be moving and do I have to prove I no longer reside there? I was thinking of just sending a letter along with my payment as a courtesy.

That's an interesting question. When you move in the middle of the year and you have paid the entire year's HOA dues, does the new home owner have to pay the dues?? Since you have already paid them, they shouldn't have to.

Depends on how your HOA is billed. Most are due in full and if so you have to be pay in full, but you can be reimbursed from next purchaser. If you do not have to pay in full just roll it over in sell.

When I bought my house we paid for half the year

Edited by CarolineElizabeth

Depends on how your HOA is billed. Most are due in full and if so you have to be pay in full, but you can be reimbursed from next purchaser. If you do not have to pay in full just roll it over in sell.

When I bought my house we paid for half the year

We are billed for the full year but can pay it in 2 installments.

Not sure how it is done here and it may vary from HOA to HOA but when we bought lots in Florida in a subdivision with a HOA the dues were prorated just like the taxes and insurance.

At any rate, I think you're probably required to pay the full amount, regardless of how long you intend to be in your home. The proration will be taken care of on the closing statement.

True,

HOA and real estate taxes should be prorated for the remainder of the year at the closing.

Not sure how it is done here and it may vary from HOA to HOA but when we bought lots in Florida in a subdivision with a HOA the dues were prorated just like the taxes and insurance.

At any rate, I think you're probably required to pay the full amount, regardless of how long you intend to be in your home. The proration will be taken care of on the closing statement.

The buyer pay you at closing for the money you have already paid...they prorate it.

Yes, ... unless you allow the agent to offer that as a closing tool on the sale (and absorb the loss... in this market, you may have to do things like that to make sure your house closes or otherwise you'll be paying your HOA fee next year even though you don't live there.)

pubby

HOAs are the biggest reason I will not live in an area that has one. I'll be danged if someone is going to tell me what I can or can not do on MY property,

and the fact that I have to pay for yet another small form of govt.

Edited by dapandlap

When you close on your property the dues will be prorated. The buyer will have to pay you for the remainder of the year. That's the way it worked for us anyways.

HOAs are the biggest reason I will not live in an area that has one. I'll be danged if someone is going to tell me what I can or can not do on MY property,

and the fact that I have to pay for yet another small form of govt.

If I live in a neighborhood and not on my own land- That is why I will move to a n.hood that HAS one.