Paulding.com

Just a question - how many would drive their kids to school rather than pay a small fee? No more than $1 per day? Would the gas/oil/time in your vehicle be less than $1 per day? What would you have to give up in order to "afford" this for your family? Just curious.

Try to grow a money tree or give up breathing. I drive my kids every day...Well, I pick them all up, my neighbor brings them. That's $180.00 dollars being thrown away each year.

Public schools and busing are free and it should stay that way.

Edited by Lucky64
  • Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's all so sad. Education has come a long way. I've seen great improvements with our youth. Don't get me wrong, I'm by no means saying things are perfect. I just know that in my 15+ years of teach

Public schools and busing are free and it should stay that way.

Not flaming you - but, could you please let me know where some of that free money is OR are the teachers/drivers/buildings/textbooks/etc just magically appearing???? - I want to go get me some of the free stuff. My old Mary Kay director had a saying "If it's free - then it's for me! LOL

YOU are paying for the buses you don't use - just as I am......It's called TAXES.

Just a question - how many would drive their kids to school rather than pay a small fee? No more than $1 per day? Would the gas/oil/time in your vehicle be less than $1 per day? What would you have to give up in order to "afford" this for your family? Just curious.

I don't know what I would do. I do about half and half now as far as driving my kids to school because I volunteer on a weekly basis and sometime one of them is running late or two of the kids have instruments or someone has a project to take and can't take it on the bus, etc.... There are also those weeks when hubby's check is "late" and I tell the kids I can't afford to spend the gas to drive them in.

Actually I would have to pay for 3 kids so if it came out cheaper to drive them in that is what I would have to do. Depending on how you charge (per trip, per day, per child, etc...) it might cost me upwards of $6 a day to use the bus. Both the schools my kids attend are withing a 5 mile radius so without doing the math I'm guessing it would be cheaper to take them.

maybe we should all take economics 101 and learn about how much tax is taken out of our paychecks - what it is used for, etc.

I am truly and sincerely scared as to what is happening to public education as we all sit here discussing this. Not only here in Georgia, but nationally. My cousins system in Virginia was already at 4 1/2 days per week and, on Friday, she was notified that they will be going to 4 days next year. In every paper, there has been discussing of how our Georgia school systems are out of money - how there will be furlough days, teacher/program cuts, possible 4 day weeks. I can't even walk my dog thru my neighborhood or talk to anyone at church who isn't talking about whats being said at their schools re: budget crisis/cuts. I don't think this is scare tactics. And, creative financing is some of what has put our nation in the situation we are in.

If this isn't a wakeup call - what will be? Our public education is NOT FREE. We'd better be working on solutions to funding.

Depending on how you charge (per trip, per day, per child, etc...) it might cost me upwards of $6 a day to use the bus.

In my mind, I was thinking $1 day - period. There is no perfect solution. We all need to be thinking about solutions, though.

Not flaming you - but, could you please let me know where some of that free money is OR are the teachers/drivers/buildings/textbooks/etc just magically appearing???? - I want to go get me some of the free stuff. My old Mary Kay director had a saying "If it's free - then it's for me! LOL

YOU are paying for the buses you don't use - just as I am......It's called TAXES.

Sorry, I didn't reply quickly, fell asleep.

Yes, I know we pay for it out of our taxes, what I meant by that is, we shouldn't have to pay $1.00 on top of that while they are in school 5 days a week. Is that everyone's answer to a problem, raising taxes or add this and that out of pocket to pay for this and that?

How much more taxes does everyone want out of their paychecks? How much more money (what is left of your paycheck) do you want to spend to pay for buses and such. The answer isn't always, "Well, we'll just raise taxes or we will just get it from the people's pockets.

Cut the dang programs, sports, clubs, shorten it to 4 days aweek.

I drove mine until they could drive themselves. If everyone had to pay a fee I would pay the fee and still let them drive. As you mentioned we are paying for the buses with taxes anyway. I wouldn't change what I do for $1 a day.

Sorry, I didn't reply quickly, fell asleep.

Yes, I know we pay for it out of our taxes, what I meant by that is, we shouldn't have to pay $1.00 on top of that while they are in school 5 days a week. Is that everyone's answer to a problem, raising taxes or add this and that out of pocket to pay for this and that?

How much more taxes does everyone want out of their paychecks? How much more money (what is left of your paycheck) do you want to spend to pay for buses and such. The answer isn't always, "Well, we'll just raise taxes or we will just get it from the people's pockets.

Cut the dang programs, sports, clubs, shorten it to 4 days aweek.

OHHHH.....see, I agree with you that we don't need more money thrown at the problem - we need to audit the waste - starting at the top of the food chain - not in our teachers who are already ponying up more than their share. I thought you simply thought that the school was FREE. At this time, however, desperate times call for desperate measures and we should be looking at everything. All those acronyms would be a start!

Maybe they could do better with a required sticker fee on the cars of those who drive their kids to encourage all to use the buses ? Kind of like a parking permit on the windshield corner.

That doesn't make sense to me. Parents who drive are already paying for gas and wear/tear on the vehicle. They are also paying taxes which go toward the transportation of others.

A fee to transport your own child would result in some people NOT driving, which would put MORE students on buses which would up the cost of transportation in the long run.

The only solution is to charge those who utilize the transportation and use the monies received toward that budget.

Maybe they could do better with a required sticker fee on the cars of those who drive their kids to encourage all to use the buses ? Kind of like a parking permit on the windshield corner.

That doesn't jive to me....what happens to those who oversleep (it happens) - their kid rides the bus every other day, but this one time. Then, you'll need staff to police the drivers without the sticker or you'll need multiple sticker, etc., etc., etc.

Paying if you use the service is the only "fair" way.

I don't know who put the school system in this situation....Padue, BOE, I don't know. But, they did it, they need to cut back on things that I mentioned above and get themselves out of it. Our children and Teachers are suffering because of it.

It's bad enough that the teachers use what little money they get to buy things for the classroom.

If they would have kept things simple, (going back to the 70's and such) and buy the books for the children to learn from, and other learning tools needed. No, now we have every sport imaginable, clubs, programs, and what not. Cut back on all of it. They would sure save a lot of money there. Buses, if you are close, walk, etc....I've lived in plenty of states that I had to walk. Heck one state didn't even have school buses, they had city transportation.

One thing I'm tired of is, "oh, we are in the red" meaning it could be anything other than schools, "let's soak the people more to get us out of it!"

12 trillion dollars is the defect, now we have the schools that can barely make it. I don't think raising taxes and/or grabbing more money out of our pockets will deal with the situation...Why? Because they will keep doing it.

Now some might not like what I'm saying and that is fine.

Oh, one more thing, having us pay to drive our children to school is ludicris.

Edited by Lucky64

Amazing how supportive you are of new costs to citizens when it doesn't come out of my mouth (fingers).

mrnn

Since you are soooo blind to our conversation, my point was stating that the BOE should be cutting more instead of thinking tax hikes. And you know me too, I am all about personal responsibility. If someone is getting something at my expense, then I say make them pay their share. I don't see you arguing that point. It has nothing to do with who presented it, just what is presented. You've brought up some valid points in the past and I'm sure you will in the future but to me, a lot of what you propose generally falls under giving something to someone else at my expense. However, if you present a pay for what you use tax, then let me have. That is why I love the fair tax. We all participate according to our need.

Well, lets see, not everyone pays for lunch due to their financial situations. Now you want to charge people to ride the bus. Are those that qualify for the free lunch program going to qualify also for the free transportation program? How is the bus driver going to know who has paid to ride and who has not........what if Johnny rides home with Bobby to work on a project? Should we just issue Marta cards and install a change bin on the buses? Thinking out of the box is one thing but thinking out of the galaxy is another completely.

Why don't we take a look at the overhead in the central office? More time should be spent looking into the four day week and virtual learning classes as well.

And, cutting the sports programs out of the schools would be very interesting. How would the kids that are working toward athletic scholarships in college manage to achieve their goals? For some, that is how they go to college.

Since you are soooo blind to our conversation, my point was stating that the BOE should be cutting more instead of thinking tax hikes. And you know me too, I am all about personal responsibility. If someone is getting something at my expense, then I say make them pay their share. I don't see you arguing that point. It has nothing to do with who presented it, just what is presented. You've brought up some valid points in the past and I'm sure you will in the future but to me, a lot of what you propose generally falls under giving something to someone else at my expense. However, if you present a pay for what you use tax, then let me have. That is why I love the fair tax. We all participate according to our need.

So then why do I pay taxes towards schools that I don't use as I have no kids?

And, cutting the sports programs out of the schools would be very interesting. How would the kids that are working toward athletic scholarships in college manage to achieve their goals? For some, that is how they go to college.

Friend of ours kid just received a tennis scholarship and has never been on a tennis team in her highschool. Plays out of a county tennis center in Cobb & competes in tournaments. Know of another kid who received a baseball scholarship and has never played on a school team - he was actually homeschooled.

If schools cut sports - the rec leagues would see a HUGE increase and the colleges would begin to pull from those areas.

I think the percentage of kids playing on their school sport teams is something like 20 percent of the school population. And, truly, how many of those 20 percent are working on a scholarship?

OOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

We could all participate in school fundraisers.... ;)

:running:

You know the problem is that the fund raisers are like squeezing blood from a turnip. I just cannot ask people to buy items when I know they are having difficulty themselves making ends meet. I know you were kidding (maybe) but it seems like the worse the situation gets the more that comes out in the way of fund raisers.

You know the problem is that the fund raisers are like squeezing blood from a turnip. I just cannot ask people to buy items when I know they are having difficulty themselves making ends meet. I know you were kidding (maybe) but it seems like the worse the situation gets the more that comes out in the way of fund raisers.

And more out of our pockets. I don't mind helping from time to time, but like I said, they did this, they need to fix it.

Well, lets see, not everyone pays for lunch due to their financial situations. Now you want to charge people to ride the bus. Are those that qualify for the free lunch program going to qualify also for the free transportation program? How is the bus driver going to know who has paid to ride and who has not........what if Johnny rides home with Bobby to work on a project? Should we just issue Marta cards and install a change bin on the buses? Thinking out of the box is one thing but thinking out of the galaxy is another completely.

Why don't we take a look at the overhead in the central office? More time should be spent looking into the four day week and virtual learning classes as well.

Yes, those who are participating in the free/reduced lunch program would be able to apply for free/reduced transportation. (I would prefer that those programs have more accountability than they currently do.)

Each child could have a few (maybe 3) times that (s)he could have friends ride with him throughout the year or semester.

When I was in school (pre-computerized days), those on free/reduced lunch were issued a card that was punched each day. That could work for this case, too. It would require responsibility on the part of the child to keep up with his/her card each day.

I'm certainly not opposed to hard cuts at the central office and in each individual school, as well. A four-day week is something I think could work (and I even have some "out of this world" ideas about that, too! :p )

I don't want people to lose their jobs. But due to this recession, I've made some hard choices (laying off employees, cut-backs, paycuts for myself, etc.) It's what we have to do to turn this around NOW, rather than finding ourselves spiraling downward in the next few years.

Friend of ours kid just received a tennis scholarship and has never been on a tennis team in her highschool. Plays out of a county tennis center in Cobb & competes in tournaments. Know of another kid who received a baseball scholarship and has never played on a school team - he was actually homeschooled.

If schools cut sports - the rec leagues would see a HUGE increase and the colleges would begin to pull from those areas.

I think the percentage of kids playing on their school sport teams is something like 20 percent of the school population. And, truly, how many of those 20 percent are working on a scholarship?

Tennis is one of the exceptions. Group organized sports generally ends after middle school when the kids start with the high school teams. Truly, how would you like to be the parent of one of those 20%? No, I am not a sport parent.

Yes, those who are participating in the free/reduced lunch program would be able to apply for free/reduced transportation. (I would prefer that those programs have more accountability than they currently do.)

Each child could have a few (maybe 3) times that (s)he could have friends ride with him throughout the year or semester.

When I was in school (pre-computerized days), those on free/reduced lunch were issued a card that was punched each day. That could work for this case, too. It would require responsibility on the part of the child to keep up with his/her card each day.

I'm certainly not opposed to hard cuts at the central office and in each individual school, as well. A four-day week is something I think could work (and I even have some "out of this world" ideas about that, too! :p )

I don't want people to lose their jobs. But due to this recession, I've made some hard choices (laying off employees, cut-backs, paycuts for myself, etc.) It's what we have to do to turn this around NOW, rather than finding ourselves spiraling downward in the next few years.

As a business person I am sure you realize those cards would be an administrative nightmare, an additional expense, and would require time on the bus for checking.

Tennis is one of the exceptions. Group organized sports generally ends after middle school when the kids start with the high school teams. Truly, how would you like to be the parent of one of those 20%? No, I am not a sport parent.

An alternative could be to keep the sports in the HS, but cut them in the MS. Some of them can't possibly be covering the costs associated with running the programs(girls softball, soccer) .....where as in HS, crowd turn out/ticket sales may be able to carry the team costs.

As a business person I am sure you realize those cards would be an administrative nightmare, an additional expense, and would require time on the bus for checking.

An administrative nightmare? Nah. Anyone with good organizational skills could make it work.

And I would suggest them being issued in the classroom or front office - not the bus. :)

As a business owner, I say nahhhhh. Just responsibility on people's part. That seems to be what most people need to learn more of anyway.

You know there are many industries that market products to our schools, maybe we need to start taking a very long hard look at who is allowed to market to our BOE's and are we getting the most for our money.

Is there enough healthy competition in this part of education to get the most for the taxpayers dollar?

Are we paying through the nose for text books and work books because they know they have the business?

Books, supplies, athletic equipment, desk, chairs, tables. even waste paper baskets.

Do the new buses have bells and whistles that could be done without?

Are we getting the best price on landscaping? repair. construction, electronics?

These are things we need to look really hard at when considering the cost of education.

I know personally I can get 10 pencils for .50 at the dollar store and have seen it as high a 1.59 at some larger supply stores.

It is so easy to spend other peoples money when buying things, do they consider what they can afford? do they look at options?

How often are they replacing desk and tables, are they broken or just worn and ugly? these are some of the things you look at when your budget is coming up short.

Some of the nice and fun things might get shelved this year, like gardens and new uniforms, in order to keep the schools going, maybe the kids can raise funds for books.

An administrative nightmare? Nah. Anyone with good organizational skills could make it work.

And I would suggest them being issued in the classroom or front office - not the bus. :)

Afternoon duty stations for many teachers involve walking/hearding students to the buses....maybe those teachers can be utilized?

You know there are many industries that market products to our schools, maybe we need to start taking a very long hard look at who is allowed to market to our BOE's and are we getting the most for our money.

Is there enough healthy competition in this part of education to get the most for the taxpayers dollar?

Are we paying through the nose for text books and work books because they know they have the business?

Books, supplies, athletic equipment, desk, chairs, tables. even waste paper baskets.

Do the new buses have bells and whistles that could be done without?

Are we getting the best price on landscaping? repair. construction, electronics?

These are things we need to look really hard at when considering the cost of education.

I know personally I can get 10 pencils for .50 at the dollar store and have seen it as high a 1.59 at some larger supply stores.

It is so easy to spend other peoples money when buying things, do they consider what they can afford? do they look at options?

How often are they replacing desk and tables, are they broken or just worn and ugly? these are some of the things you look at when your budget is coming up short.

Some of the nice and fun things might get shelved this year, like gardens and new uniforms, in order to keep the schools going, maybe the kids can raise funds for books.

:wub:

Sell something that is ...

a. worth buying and b. won't put me in a diabetic comma and I'm all for it.

If everyone who spent any money in Paulding County paid a Fair Tax, then people who took advantage of the free lunches, etc. could contribute to the cost of educating their children in the county. Alot of people who rent homes, apartments, etc. do not pay anything and their children receive the same education as people who pay their property taxes each year. Don't get me wrong, it is NOT the childs fault, it is just that alot of parents work the system. With all the foreclosures, people have not been paying their property taxes and thus the shortage. I am tired of funding EVERYTHING for people. People need to be responsible.

As far the riding the bus, when my daughters were in school in Paulding County, the bus they were assigned to was so bad and ghetto, I was scared for them. One of the happiest days in my life was when my daughters got out of public school in Paulding County. What a nightmare!

An alternative could be to keep the sports in the HS, but cut them in the MS. Some of them can't possibly be covering the costs associated with running the programs(girls softball, soccer) .....where as in HS, crowd turn out/ticket sales may be able to carry the team costs.

That is a really good idea. The rec leagues seem to be really good in the area and that would prepare the kids for high school teams.

Start charging for school. If you can't afford to enroll your students you would need to provide proof, much like the lunch program. Charge $60-$100/student for tuition. If there is still a shortfall based on projected revenues, then employ a small property tax increase. While people who don't have kids in school will bitch and moan about an increase, with a tuition program in place, they can no longer say that those with kids in the system aren't paying a higher price.

It takes a village to raise a child is an ages old adage that seems to be lost on many. It is in all of our best interests to ensure that Paulding kids receive the very best educations possible and, because of this, we should be willing to make personal sacrifices to ensure that happens. Don't scream you're Mr. or Mrs. US Patriot and then bitch and moan about paying a few extra bucks to properly educate the kids who hold our country and county's future in their hands.

mrnn

I do pay to educate MY child at a private school, plus I "donate" yearly to the school system through taxes. The "it takes a village" crap is just that. It's your responsibility to raise your children, not mine. So keep your hands out of my pockets.

If everyone who spent any money in Paulding County paid a Fair Tax, then people who took advantage of the free lunches, etc. could contribute to the cost of educating their children in the county. Alot of people who rent homes, apartments, etc. do not pay anything and their children receive the same education as people who pay their property taxes each year. Don't get me wrong, it is NOT the childs fault, it is just that alot of parents work the system. With all the foreclosures, people have not been paying their property taxes and thus the shortage. I am tired of funding EVERYTHING for people. People need to be responsible.

As far the riding the bus, when my daughters were in school in Paulding County, the bus they were assigned to was so bad and ghetto, I was scared for them. One of the happiest days in my life was when my daughters got out of public school in Paulding County. What a nightmare!

Not true - the renters pay rent to the owner, who has to pay property taxes. The rental amount includes the property taxes. This failed logic is the same that progressives use when the say "we need to make business pay their fair share of taxes". The business pay taxes, they then transfer that cost on to their customers - just like the owner of an apartment does.

The real truth is that not only are things getting tight for the BOE, the county and the state. Things are tight for everyone. So why is it when a government entity runs short the first thing they think of is to raise taxes while all the conservative citizens look for ways to cut back or even do without?

I do pay to educate MY child at a private school, plus I "donate" yearly to the school system through taxes. The "it takes a village" crap is just that. It's your responsibility to raise your children, not mine. So keep your hands out of my pockets.

It takes a village to raise an idiot. Look at Plains, Georgia. :D

But wait. Were you not for the school bond? :blink:

What percentage of your income do you pay for education?

You want Fair Tax? Tax everyone's income at the same rate...that is Fair Tax.

JMHO

Sorry, I disagree. I'd rather send in a $50.00 donatiion and buy my kid the cheap prize than let some other company make money off of me and my kid. My kid would have to sell 100 candy bars @1.00 each with a 50% profit margin to earn $50.00. Those fundraisers get old fast and like some said, people don't have money for food why in the world would they want to participate in a fundraiser that charges 3X from what you can buy??

I was very active in my kids school, even serving as an officer in the PTA. I am all too familiar with fund raisers that do not give the value of what you are buying. The local restaurants that support schools based on participation in "school nights" are a little more bareable than that crazy wrapping paper and such. ;)

My youngest child never rode the bus, the older ones only because they wanted to. We live on a very narrow, curvy road and I did not want the bus driver to have to drive down it, we were the only family that had a child on the road.

Charging a nominal fee for transportation is not unreasonable, those that qualify for free or reduced lunches should also qualify for free or reduced transportation. If only 50% of the kids paid it would help considerably. The only issue I have with this is what about the families that have 5 or 6 children, it would put a hardship on them. ;)

Many years ago while attending school at Hollydale elem in Cobb We had a very long bus route. Hollydale is in Hollydale Subd. off Powder Springs and Bankstone. Anyway the route started at Villa Rica Rd. and W. Sandtown. went to Macland Rd. then to Powder springs & Macland. Into Lamplighter village MHP. Then back to Hollydale still picking up students on Powder springs. just to fill the bus.

What you are asking for is the middle ground I spoke of.

I don't know what middle ground you are talking about. The BOE has not been pro-active in cutting costs in the last few years. They are now going to have to be re active. We have been hit by tax increases for years. I am tired of paying for things that are NOT ESSENTIAL to EDUCATION and I meant just that. We can't afford it any longer. As far as transportation that is one of the things that is not required by law to be provided. I kind of like the idea of asking those who ride buses to help defray the cost.

County (taxpayer) isn't footing the bill for gas, insurance, cost of vehicle, and wear and tear on the vehicles of parents who drive their kids to school. They don't need to be hit for more services they don't use.

I don't know who put the school system in this situation....Padue, BOE, I don't know. But, they did it, they need to cut back on things that I mentioned above and get themselves out of it. Our children and Teachers are suffering because of it.

It's bad enough that the teachers use what little money they get to buy things for the classroom.

If they would have kept things simple, (going back to the 70's and such) and buy the books for the children to learn from, and other learning tools needed. No, now we have every sport imaginable, clubs, programs, and what not. Cut back on all of it. They would sure save a lot of money there. Buses, if you are close, walk, etc....I've lived in plenty of states that I had to walk. Heck one state didn't even have school buses, they had city transportation.

One thing I'm tired of is, "oh, we are in the red" meaning it could be anything other than schools, "let's soak the people more to get us out of it!"

12 trillion dollars is the defect, now we have the schools that can barely make it. I don't think raising taxes and/or grabbing more money out of our pockets will deal with the situation...Why? Because they will keep doing it.

Now some might not like what I'm saying and that is fine.

Oh, one more thing, having us pay to drive our children to school is ludicris.

I like it just fine because you are right!

We could all participate in school fundraisers.... wink.gif

We could all just donate what we can spare too. I do it all of the time to my Grand Kids schools. That is totally different from being forced to do it.