Paulding.com

U.E. is great for those that are eligible, but what about those that were self employed and not eligible? And the point is when does it stop? will there be indefinite extensions?

That is exactly my point as well. It needs to stop but that can only occur if BO and the libs get it together and do what is needed to enact job growth.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

SO, who says you dont pay taxes on this? I do, and I make quite a bit more than what your ASSumptions are. You did however forget not having to pay for child care, eating lunch daily, and starbucks.

I am sorry that all of you who have jobs think that all of us who don't are lazy..or just not looking. I have gone on more interviews for jobs that I can't take because we can't afford daycare, gas, and the mortgage without the 300 I get a week from UE. We barely make it with UE and to think that 400 dollar a week job would be ok is a joke, since I can stay with my daughter for free.

I love how people not looking can find a million jobs for us to apply for but what they don't know is that about 100 other people are applying for that job too, so getting an interview is not easy. Plus living in PC is killing me. No one wants to even interview me since I live so far out. I pray I can get at least one more extension but I doubt I will..

Exactly! Why would you take a $400.00 a week job and pay $125.00 in child care? You'd be in the hole and not be able to look for anything better.

And I think that there is certainly a great many living well beyond their means. But, let's be reasonable. Is it really feasible, or desired, to have the government start qualifying people for UE benefits based on their preparedness?

There's a variety of factors that can catapult a person into a situation that is hard to get out of...for instance, I don't need a 4BR house for 2 people. While that could be seen as extravagance, it was purchased while I was married and planned for more children. So, I planned for a place for my children, life happened, and subsequently I have a house that I can't sell that is way more house than I need.

Life happens.

I'm agreeing with all your posts today...who knew!!!!!!! :lol:

That is exactly my point as well. It needs to stop but that can only occur if BO and the libs get it together and do what is needed to enact job growth.

What would that be? The gov't can't produce jobs unless the free up the credit markets so employers can afford to hire workers and people can spend money more freely. As soon as he does anything like that everyone crys that we don't have the money and no more bailouts. Its a classic damned if you do damned if you don't.

Guest Hi~ho Silver

What would that be? The gov't can't produce jobs unless the free up the credit markets so employers can afford to hire workers and people can spend money more freely. As soon as he does anything like that everyone crys that we don't have the money and no more bailouts. Its a classic damned if you do damned if you don't.

The Government doesn't produce jobs or anything else for that matter. If the Government would get out of the way and cut taxes, the economic engine that is America could work again. As long as the Government continues it's present course, you will see more of what we have now, for years to come. Government is not the solution. Government is the problem.

Exactly! Why would you take a $400.00 a week job and pay $125.00 in child care? You'd be in the hole and not be able to look for anything better.

Dxh brought home about $400 a week. I got a job also making $400 a week...and I pay more than $125 a week in childcare for the little one. After gas, daycare, and taxes I bring home just under one weeks worth of work a month.

...but it's a job. I got up every morning, contributed to society, paid my taxes and brought home enough to completely cover our groceries for the month with a little left over. To me, personally, it was better to do that than to sit at home with my daughter and get food stamps. That's just me though, and everybody's opinions differ.

The Government doesn't produce jobs or anything else for that matter. If the Government would get out of the way and cut corporate taxes, the economic engine that is America could work again. As long as the Government continues it's present course, you will see more of what we have now, for years to come. Government is not the solution. Government is the problem.

fixed it fer ya.

But your post is pretty darn accurate.

A tough job market is generally a time when new businesses start up with great regularity. Or just times of an individual's unemployment, due to layoffs or downsizing. My hubby and I started our current business after his employer closed their service department. The need for the service was still there, they just weren't providing it. We fill just a microscopic portion of the market and do quite well. In fact, last year--2009--we had our best year EVER. This year is already shaping up to beat last year. We should surpass last year's income by the end of April, with eight more months to go in the year. Was it scary starting the business back up at the end of 2008? You'd better believe it. But six months of unemployment with no job prospects made it a necessary evil. Looking back, probably the best thing we could have ever done.

BTW, Subby, I admire the way you've gone about your new business venture. Diversity. That's the key.

Whoever says jobs are all over the place is living in la-la land, and I'm talking about low paying jobs too. The economy is in the tank. As for me, I chose to use this to my advantage, and start my own business- catering to people who are down and out, by offering services at a slashed rate. This way, they can save money, get better deals, etc. I know I'll never get rich doing what I do (not anytime soon anyway), but at least it's a way to put something back into the economy, without strapping people for money who have real needs.

The Government doesn't produce jobs or anything else for that matter. If the Government would get out of the way and cut taxes, the economic engine that is America could work again. As long as the Government continues it's present course, you will see more of what we have now, for years to come. Government is not the solution. Government is the problem.

I agree with the red, although others on here don't seem to get that. As for the bold, we are beyond that. It would help but it isn't going to fix the problem.

Well, let's say you get a 6 months severance package. Are you still eligible for unemployment after it runs out? or you get 1 years severance.....

Im not sure, I think you would have to ask the DOL... Sorry I'm not more help.

Your UE would begin after the six months payout is disbursed. The UE office can give you the length of you UE. If you took your severance as a lump sum, I think it would begin the following week...

they take your average weekly pay and divide your severance. Example...you make $100/week and you get a $1000 severance, UE starts after the 10th week. It lasts 18 months.

they take your average weekly pay and divide your severance. Example...you make $100/week and you get a $1000 severance, UE starts after the 10th week. It lasts 18 months.

This depends on how your severance is paid out. For instance had I not moved my severance would have been a lump sum payment so I would have started UE after 2 weeks.

This depends on how your severance is paid out. For instance had I not moved my severance would have been a lump sum payment so I would have started UE after 2 weeks.

From my visit to the DOL 3 weeks ago, I was told it doesn't matter if it's paid in a lump or paid over time. Perhaps I was misinformed, but that's what I was given in my paper work.

From my visit to the DOL 3 weeks ago, I was told it doesn't matter if it's paid in a lump or paid over time. Perhaps I was misinformed, but that's what I was given in my paper work.

Oh, I'm sure you got the correct info. The HR department here isn't as up to date as they like to think they are.

First I'll say that I do not see a choice in it. 2nd ,drug testing should be mandatory.

Finally

330 X 52 = 17,160

40% of take home wages is about right for taxes and deductions but we will use 30%

17160 / 0.7 = 24,515 is your adjusted yearly pay because you do not have to pay taxes, SS or medi on UE. In other words had you actually had a job and had to pay thies that is what your UE check actually feels like. Then you no longer need to pay fuel. You will still need a car and insurance if you actually intend to go back to work. I imagine most folks will use $25 / week post taxes on fuel. So following the same formula gives about $1850 in fuel charges not needed.

That meens your equvilent income is about

$26,365 / year

$2,200 / month

$510 / week

$12.75 / hour

Not too bad for getting paid to do nothing but job hunting.

And what if husband AND spouse are unemployed?

You get twice that.

First I'll say that I do not see a choice in it. 2nd ,drug testing should be mandatory.

Finally

330 X 52 = 17,160

40% of take home wages is about right for taxes and deductions but we will use 30%

17160 / 0.7 = 24,515 is your adjusted yearly pay because you do not have to pay taxes, SS or medi on UE. In other words had you actually had a job and had to pay thies that is what your UE check actually feels like. Then you no longer need to pay fuel. You will still need a car and insurance if you actually intend to go back to work. I imagine most folks will use $25 / week post taxes on fuel. So following the same formula gives about $1850 in fuel charges not needed.

$26,365 / year

$2,200 / month

$510 / week

$12.75 / hour

You get twice that.

I understand your point about it not being bad for basically doing nothing but I made that much at 16 years old. It would be hard to live off that now.

I understand your point about it not being bad for basically doing nothing but I made that much at 16 years old. It would be hard to live off that now.

Understood and appreciated. But is still more than many earn while working. And definately higher than min. wage.

Rent = $500 a month

Utilities = $250 total

Car insurance = $70 month

Car payment = $300 month

Internet and phone = $75

$1195! Oh..and how are you going to eat and buy medicine OR Pay Child support if you have it!

All of this to sit at home and and do nothing to look for a job!

Sorry MrDis... I disagree with you this time! :drinks:

Rent = $500 a month

Utilities = $250 total

Car insurance = $70 month

Car payment = $300 month

Internet and phone = $75

$1195! Oh..and how are you going to eat and buy medicine OR Pay Child support if you have it!

All of this to sit at home and and do nothing to look for a job!

Sorry MrDis... I disagree with you this time! :drinks:

If the system made it possible to live a "good" lifestyle, then as the other poster stated "no one would ever come off it. It is to help "tide" you over between jobs. It is not meant for 12 months or longer.

Finally

330 X 52 = 17,160

$26,365 / year

$2,200 / month

$510 / week

$12.75 / hour

You get twice that.

SO, who says you dont pay taxes on this? I do, and I make quite a bit more than what your ASSumptions are. You did however forget not having to pay for child care, eating lunch daily, and starbucks. You could have come up with a much higher number if you really tried.

My family is lucky because my wife makes a nice salary, almost double what I was making since moving to GA. Still, when you go from two incomes down to one it does hurt no matter how much you make your still going to feel it. Most, not all would rather have a job and go to work. Some will try to ride the system, but for the most part most would rather be bringing home a paycheck each pay period.

I hope so, but I have an interview tomorrow and it looks good.

These are tough times and a lot of people are out of work. I think this has been very helpful to a lot of families.

If it wasnt for the awful economy, I would agree with you.

I got the job!

Best of all its full time with decent pay in Paulding county less than 10 minutes from my house and working flexible hours.

Edited by Ernest T Bass
  • Like 1

If the system made it possible to live a "good" lifestyle, then as the other poster stated "no one would ever come off it. It is to help "tide" you over between jobs. It is not meant for 12 months or longer.

...and in a normal economy I can understand that but these aren't normal times.

SO, who says you dont pay taxes on this? I do, and I make quite a bit more than what your ASSumptions are. You did however forget not having to pay for child care, eating lunch daily, and starbucks. You could have come up with a much higher number if you really tried.

My family is lucky because my wife makes a nice salary, almost double what I was making since moving to GA. Still, when you go from two incomes down to one it does hurt no matter how much you make your still going to feel it. Most, not all would rather have a job and go to work. Some will try to ride the system, but for the most part most would rather be bringing home a paycheck each pay period.

I got the job!

Best of all its full time with decent pay in Paulding county less than 10 minutes from my house and working flexible hours.

You ASSsume that I am biased against anyone on unemployment. I am not. I am merely pointing out that the benefit is nothing to sneeze at. Will it replace your income from CEO of Home Depot. No. Will it replace the wages of an average job. Maybe. But it still helps. As far as the taxes go, I learned something today... Unemployment benefits are indeed taxed. How bad? Not very. I ran a single person with no children and no deductions to speak of that would live in an apartment. Using the $17,160 as income from unemployment. You would wind up oweing the Feds $543 and the state $553. If you actually owned a car and a home and had children it could well have been $0. I saw no mention of social security or medicare taxes taken out of the $330 / week. I am not mad or jealous about any of it. Your employer paid into the system while you were working it is yours to collect from.

Edited by Ernest T Bass

If the JOB section of the AJC was brimming with jobs I would understand MrDis... but that ain't happening. But a person trying to get a job in todays economy is competing with 100+ applicants!

Ga's UE is now at an all time HIGH 10.4%. That's 10% of the people who live in the state are UNEMPLOYED! I have seen and still see professionals / blue collar / self-employed going after ANY job. The last time Paulding had a call for 6 FF.....over 300 people filled out apps. I know that almost 280 showed up to take the physical agility part. They had to break it into 3 days.

Lockheed gets over 100k apps a month.

To me....it looks like LOTS of people are looking for work!

If the JOB section of the AJC was brimming with jobs I would understand MrDis... but that ain't happening. But a person trying to get a job in todays economy is competing with 100+ applicants!

Ga's UE is now at an all time HIGH 10.4%. That's 10% of the people who live in the state are UNEMPLOYED! I have seen and still see professionals / blue collar / self-employed going after ANY job. The last time Paulding had a call for 6 FF.....over 300 people filled out apps. I know that almost 280 showed up to take the physical agility part. They had to break it into 3 days.

Lockheed gets over 100k apps a month.

To me....it looks like LOTS of people are looking for work!

So let me get this right. You guys think that I am against it and that I think it pays too much? That is not the case. I already said that I see no other choice but to extend it. Should they raise the amount? I do not know. Is that amount to be laughed at as utterly and rediculusly low? No way. Is that amount sufficient to take care of a family over the course of a year? No. I never said what it appears you believe I said.

Finally

330 X 52 = 17,160

$26,365 / year

$2,200 / month

$510 / week

$12.75 / hour

You get twice that.

First off you do pay taxes on unemployment. Second if you bought your home and cars on a salary of lets say 50,000 a year and you are now making 330 a week I guess you think they should lose their home and cars and your property value can continue to drop because of your neighbors loss. So remember all of you who think we are asking for a hand out, we are also helping you by being able to pay our mortgages.

I don't mind anyone receiving unemployment benefits. The program has been in place for many years. We all pay into it - I know the argument - the company pays for it - but we all know that cost is passed on to the "consumer" of whatever the company creates. So, I again, I do not mind anyone receiving unemployment. I do have a problem with not accepting a job while receiving unemployment even if it's not the dream job. I was laid off (along with 55 others) November 1992. I applied for unemployment. I also updated my resume and went throughout office parks around my old company asking to speak with the hiring manager and I didn't take no for an answer. I wrote down the names of those I left resumes with and made follow up calls within two days. It's a funny story - I thought I was giving my resume to the janitor or something - walked out thinking I'd just wasted my time/resume paper - only to get a call the next morning for an interview at a company that I didn't even know what they made - I'd not written anything down about this company. Turned out "the janitor" was the owner - everyone was in a meeting. They weren't hiring but the manager wanted to meet with me. He hired me on the spot -even though they weren't hiring at the time - saying that the owner thought I had a lot of balls walking in off of the street and that I'd presented myself well. I started working the next day and stayed for several years. Many of those around me didn't have work for months. (mrsdavej)

$17K is below the poverty line. While it might be what some are making, it's still below the poverty line...so, basically that's what UE gets you. Below poverty.

I do think your facts are kinda skewed, after all, the "savings" on gas was factored in as additional income, when in fact it's not because you're not getting that money, you're simply not spending it.

UE is necessary and can help people to not lose everything, at least immediately. But, it's simply not going to cover the typical lifestyle. I do think, as in my case, UE, is a good subsidy to my savings...savings that I never intended on spending...and therein lies the motivation.

Here is a link for those who are wondering.

Poverty guidelines link

Why does it seem that so many think that unemployment benefits need to be such that they will have no trouble maintaining the standard of living for which they have become accustomed. They are not designed to do that. And I have already noted that I did learn today that you arte taxed on these benefits. But I also ran the taxes for a single person with 0 deductions. They ammounted to about $1,100 for both the Fed and state. I see the extension of benefits as required. Even if they have to come out of tax payer dollars. What else do you folks want me to say about it?