Paulding.com

just called school

I called the school to find out if the kids would be considered unexcused If I checked them out rather then wait and take a chance and they said they are doing early release today.

I called the school to find out if the kids would be considered unexcused If I checked them out rather then wait and take a chance and they said they are doing early release today.

Did they say what time? I may just go ahead and go get 2nd grader.

she did tell me what time but I already forgot if she said 12 or 1230 for elementary. I think she said 1 for high school. Im thinking about just getting mine. My driveway is already covered and its starting to stick in the road in front of my house

I'm in Dallas near 278 and 61 and it is sticking and coming down hard here! My Kids were mad they had to go to school, and my 8th grader even more so! He was in the hospital (after a car accident) for the last snow and didn't get to go out and play in it!

I hope it sticks really good! They can go play hard outside and go to bed early tonight! Woohoo! Hubby and I may get to snuggle near a fire with wine and quiet!

she did tell me what time but I already forgot if she said 12 or 1230 for elementary. I think she said 1 for high school. Im thinking about just getting mine. My driveway is already covered and its starting to stick in the road in front of my house

Me too, this is crazy to wait until noon, that is 3 hours away. Can you imagine the conditions then? I don't panic about the weather, but if a person has eyes they can see that this is getting worse not better. I'm not very impressed with the PC BOE at this moment.

Edited by momof 3

Please Be Advised

Due to Inclement Weather:

•All Elementary Schools will be dismissed at 12:00 noon

•All Middle and High Schools will be dismissed at 1:00 pm

•All ASP and Athletic Events for today have been cancelled

Thank you,

Paulding County School District

snow sticking to the roads here as well and its only 9am. we may go in another hour or so and pick up our high schooler. this made me mad last time. while my 16 year old does not drive, there are many that do and they just do not have the experience to drive on this stuff (but then again after this winter!!) and it is just too dangerous to have them wait until it is almost too messy for experienced drivers to drive in. I am just glad I dont have to worry about it for my son. Not happy with BOE right now.

knew it wouldn't take long for the board bashing to start. I think they are doing a job I wouldn't want to do. I know it would be smart to try and keep them till 11:30 without their safety being jeopardized. Don't wanna make up anymore days if we don't have to.

I have heard a few different times, so I guess when they pop in I will know they are home. Let just keep prayers for the bus driver to drive safe, and for the kids on the bus to be calm for the driver. Thats what I told me kids, to be calm for the bus driver. I hated it when the weather was bad and the kids on the bus was so crazy.

Please Be Advised

Due to Inclement Weather:

All Elementary Schools will be dismissed at 12:00 noon

All Middle and High Schools will be dismissed at 1:00 pm

All ASP and Athletic Events for today have been cancelled

Thank you,

Paulding County School District

Okay, now, to me, this is ridiculous. Why wait that long to have the children come home? 1. They knew this was coming so they should have canceled all together.

2. If they have the time to post when they are getting out, they should have the children come home now, instead of that time for the simple fact they don't know if it will get worse and start to ice.

I just don't understand the people that make this decision at the BOE. They knew dang well that people panic when it snows here. I really feel for the bus drivers. Bless their heart.

EDIT: For spelling.

Edited by Lucky64

Me too, this is crazy to wait until noon, that is 3 hours away. Can you imagine the conditions then? I don't panic about the weather, but if a person has eyes they can see that this is getting worse not better. I'm not very impressed with the PC BOE at this moment.

Im with you. Our neighborhood is all hills and its looking the same as last time. I was happy at first and then looked at the clock and realized it is still quite a bit off.

if you have a problem with it get off your buts and go get your kids out of school. Instead of sitting around complaining on the internet you do have the ability to drive and go pick them up.

• Like 2

if you have a problem with it get off your buts and go get your kids out of school. Instead of sitting around complaining on the internet you do have the ability to drive and go pick them up.

You assume that because someone has internet they have a car? We lived for years with one car. It wasn't always easy to just jump in the car and go pick up the kids.

• Like 1

Look, I don't have a problem with it, I say keep the kids in school. I'm worried for the other parents and the busdrivers.

My point was, the BOE knows how people panic when it snows here in the south, something people aren't use too. People think about others who are out in it, so not only do people have to look out for other drivers, but they are trying to stay level as well.

What about the high school children that drive and don't have the experience in it, these parents have the right to worry. Or the bus drivers that have to get the children home safely, they have a lot to do and focus on.

on our way to pick up the 16 year old... this is just crazy!!

Okay, now, to me, this is ridiculous. Why wait that long to have the children come home? 1. They new this was coming so they should have canceled all together.

2. If they have the time to post when they are getting out, they should have the children come home now, instead of that time for the simple fact they don't know if it will get worse and start to ice.

I just don't understand the people that make this decision at the BOE. They now dang well that people panic when it snows here. I really feel for the bus drivers. Bless their heart.

I agree with you 100% and if that is BOE bashing as stated by another poster, then so be it. This is not acceptable in any way. Putting bus drivers in the position of having to get these kids home safely and you're going to wait another 3 hours before school is out??

WRONG!! WRONG!! WRONG!! My driveway is already iced over and the road in front of my house looks the same way. I'm on my way to get 2nd grader or maybe I should just wait and we could have an accident at 12:00pm after things are much worse. NOT!

Some people can not drive lol

I am glad they called it how they did. Some people work. They have to be able to get home to get them. Like me! It takes me an hour to even get home. If you are worried just go pick them up now. The board I think does just fine.

Look, I don't have a problem with it, I say keep the kids in school. I'm worried for the other parents and the busdrivers.

My point was, the BOE knows how people panic when it snows here in the south, something people aren't use too. People think about others who are out in it, so not only do people have to look out for other drivers, but they are trying to stay level as well.

What about the high school children that drive and don't have the experience in it, these parents have the right to worry. Or the bus drivers that have to get the children home safely, they have a lot to do and focus on.

I have always thought the same thing about high school kids who drive. But do you seriously think that all these kids who drive are going to head straight home? No they are not.

Everybody doesn't have a car to go pick up their kids, that is a stupid thing to say. That is why the county provides bus service, a service that is supposed to be safe for the kids and the bus drivers. This is the wrong call and I sincerely hope that no one is hurt at noon sliding home on the bus.

What about the high school children that drive and don't have the experience in it, these parents have the right to worry.

If it is such a worry/concern, maybe they shouldn't have driven on a day when they knew snow was coming. Just saying.

• Like 1

I have always thought the same thing about high school kids who drive. But do you seriously think that all these kids who drive are going to head straight home? No they are not.

I can't answer on what some of the high school drivers will be doing when they get out. That is between them and their parents if they are allowed to drive around in it. But, most level headed high schooler will drive home and stay out of it.

If it is such a worry/concern, maybe they shouldn't have driven on a day when they knew snow was coming. Just saying.

I hear ya, but at the same time, how many times has the news canceled the winter advisory warning this morning only to put it back on when it did start to sleet and snow? By that time the kids have left for school.

Maybe parents with info on the roads in their areas should start calling the BOE and clue them in. I would think they would be open ears in light of the last ordeal!

Okay, I didn't read through all the reply's but when I got to the board bashing I wanted to add that I know many of the bus drivers have other responsibilities between their morning and afternoon routes. I wonder if that had anything to do with it. I know one of more than one bus driver who works another job between her shifts, several who serve lunch, one of which does it in another county so even if they closed school early here they couldn't just leave their other job.

Another thought would be perhaps to give working parents time to either get home or find someone to take their kids if they can't get home in time. Who wants their elementary age kids getting dropped off to an empty and possibly locked home. Just saying...... Plus ASP is canceled as well and many parents don't necessarily work in Paulding county and it may take a while for them to get home.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I love our School Board. I think they rock and anyone who is concerned about their kids safety can go pick up their kids.

Okay, please don't hurt me!! :).

Edited to add: So okay I understand that some people don't have cars. I didn't think of that. I have been carless a few times in the past year and I may have to make a few calls but I can usually find someone to help me out. I think that there are ALOT more families that aren't home right now and the board really couldn't just started sending kids home without giving parents time to get home or make arrangements. Heck I haven't even gotten THE CALL yet and if I hadn't have gotten on P.com would have no clue that they were letting out early.

Edited by brown*eyed*girl
  • Like 1

The winter weather advisory wasn't canceled ... the winter storm warning was. There's been no question that we'd get something by way of winter precip ... just a question of how much.

Thank you for the info. I didn't think that the other topic about canceling it could be right.

Okay, I didn't read through all the reply's but when I got to the board bashing I wanted to add that I know many of the bus drivers have other responsibilities between their morning and afternoon routes. I wonder if that had anything to do with it. I know one of more than one bus driver who works another job between her shifts, several who serve lunch, one of which does it in another county so even if they closed school early here they couldn't just leave their other job.

Another thought would be perhaps to give working parents time to either get home or find someone to take their kids if they can't get home in time. Who wants their elementary age kids getting dropped off to an empty and possibly locked home. Just saying...... Plus ASP is canceled as well and many parents don't necessarily work in Paulding county and it may take a while for them to get home.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I love our School Board. I think they rock and anyone who is concerned about their kids safety can go pick up their kids.

Okay, please don't hurt me!! :).

I agree. Some of us are in Atlanta for work and it take a little bit to figure things out. Plus the buses can not all leave at once for every grade. I agree if you do not like it then you should just go get them. Easy as that. I do not think the board is after us. They do the best they can.

I wish I could go get the kids, but I was hit by a drunk driver 3 weeks ago and we are down to 1 car that Hubby has in Dunwoody at work right now! I'm not lazy.....my car was just about a total, and it is taking forever to fix it so I can't hop up and go get the 3 kids from 2 different schools today!