Paulding.com

Do you buy your kids drugs?

Don't know why I'm chirping in here, but here goes. Mine do not have caffeine at all, except for whatever the amount is in chocolate in dessert. I limit sweets. He doesn't like sweets, so. Cook healthy meals, etc. That being said, I'm not going to try and tell anyone what not to give their kids. I raise mine, you raise yours. Why? Because I look around me and wonder why I'm in a handbasket and where are we going? (You know - He** in a handbasket) I volunteer alot - school/church/community. I'm not a prude. Had some wild child in me in my late teens/early 20's. But, I'll tell you right now. These kids scare the bejeezus out of me and caffeine is the very least of it. However, health problems for our kids do worry me. I see them with every type of energy drink/pill out there, diet pills, etc. Because they're OTC parents don't seem to take notice. And, the kids think they are invincible. Educate them on what they're doing, at least. I wonder each time I hear of a child collapsing on the field and dying - if these energy drinks/pills have played a part. Caffeine, tea, green tea, and alot of other ingredients dehydrate the body which strains the kidneys and we all know what all of this does to the heart. Kids have so many "issues" and, as adults, many times we've given them the issues. We have so many acronyms in their lives. I know of two teenagers who faked symptoms that their friend had and ended up on the same meds their friend had so they'd all be BFFs. It was overheard and addressed with parents and then when the doctors "concurred" that the girls didn't need the meds, there were withdrawal issues.

As far as kids being dropped off at Stars and Strikes, Sparkles, the mall, the movies where ever, you should think long and hard if they are really up to the responsibility.

I agree, but, doesn't this fall into the "not my perfect child" category? Just saying?

I don't think that most parents recognize the dangers of artificial sweeteners in these drinks.

Or bacon, red M and M's, Kool Aid, White Bread, Water from the tap etc etc etc. There is always SOMETHING that will kill you that the previous generation seemed to make it through just fine. People are to damn paranoid.

Or bacon, red M and M's, Kool Aid, White Bread, Water from the tap etc etc etc. There is always SOMETHING that will kill you that the previous generation seemed to make it through just fine. People are to damn paranoid.

:good:

dont forget talking on cell phones,and hair dye

Edited by spacey74

I don't understand the "everything else is bad for you so this OK" argument.

If you aren't bothered by the possible negative effects on children under 18, your choice. You decide what is right for your child. I just can't imagine knowing how bad they are and still allowing it. Brains grow until kids are about 21. Large amounts of caffeine are now being linked to Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, anxiety disorders, and type 2 diabetes. Aside from that, the body's cells only regenerate during deep sleep. If your child is "amped" and not getting into that deep sleep enough, the body can't repair cells like it needs to.

I do think they should at least not be allowed in public schools where they could be shared with other children with dangerous medical conditions. That takes away a parent's choice to NOT expose their kids to energy drinks.

Our parents made mistakes because they didn't know any better. We do, or at least should, know better. How do you know you haven't been affected in some way? Even if you "turned out alright", why wouldn't you want your kids to turn out even better? I can't think of one good reason an elementary school or middle school aged child should have these. Not one.

If you aren't bothered by the possible negative effects on children under 18, your choice. You decide what is right for your child. I just can't imagine knowing how bad they are and still allowing it. Brains grow until kids are about 21. Large amounts of caffeine are now being linked to Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, anxiety disorders, and type 2 diabetes. Aside from that, the body's cells only regenerate during deep sleep. If your child is "amped" and not getting into that deep sleep enough, the body can't repair cells like it needs to.

I do think they should at least not be allowed in public schools where they could be shared with other children with dangerous medical conditions. That takes away a parent's choice to NOT expose their kids to energy drinks.

Our parents made mistakes because they didn't know any better. We do, or at least should, know better. How do you know you haven't been affected in some way? Even if you "turned out alright", why wouldn't you want your kids to turn out even better? I can't think of one good reason an elementary school or middle school aged child should have these. Not one.

:clapping:

I agree with you on this, kids this young should have no need for it.

I don't agree with anyone abusing these drinks period.

The marketing towards kids is what frustrates me.

They make it sound cool, my son occasionally has them and he is fully aware that they are bad for him.

He is also caught up in the popular hype about them and likes to collect their marketing gimmicks, like shirts and stickers.

I was being sarcastic about us turning out ok, we have embraced a culture of convenience based on chemicals.

I believe we are all guilty of this, and tend not to see the harm until it is too late.

I know I did not take these drinks seriously at first until I drank one myself, I also looked at the label, a serving is 1/2 of the contents of a can. Most kids drink the entire thing at a sitting.

bottom line - things that carry a warning label that say, "not recommended for children, pregnant women, or people sensitive to caffeine," should not be given to children. energy drinks have warning labels. you wouldn't buy alcohol, tobacco, or other drugs for your children...right?