Paulding.com

Do you buy your kids drugs?

I didn't want to post this in the thread about the child being hit by a car, but I can't believe parents LET their children have energy drinks, much less BUY them for their child.

Caffeine is a DRUG. Look it up. It is being utilized as a DRUG when more than naturally occurring amounts are put in energy drinks. http://www.xs4all.nl/~4david/caffeine.html

What effect is this having on your child? Do you even know? Stomach problems, neurological problems, addiction?

Energy drinks are kid CRACK. I wish schools would make a rule against them or parents would just have the good sense to not allow their children to have them.

• Like 1

What does the child getting hit by a car have to do with buying your child energy drinks? Is it proven that this childs parent handed him money and told him run across the street to buy one?

So many of these kids are dropped off at Stars and Strikes, the movies, bowling, etc and the parents have no idea what they are doing after they leave them. I seriously doubt that they know what they are buying with the money they are being given.

That being said, that is the exact reason my girls were NEVER dropped off anywhere without parental supervision. Kids left alone will do LOTS of things their parents don't know about including buying energy drinks.

Edited by momof 3
  • Like 1

I didn't want to post this in the thread about the child being hit by a car, but I can't believe parents LET their children have energy drinks, much less BUY them for their child.

Caffeine is a DRUG. Look it up. It is being utilized as a DRUG when more than naturally occurring amounts are put in energy drinks. http://www.xs4all.nl/~4david/caffeine.html

What effect is this having on your child? Do you even know? Stomach problems, neurological problems, addiction?

Energy drinks are kid CRACK. I wish schools would make a rule against them or parents would just have the good sense to not allow their children to have them.

i'm confused. do they sell energy drinks at school? i thought they switched to just diet drinks in their vending machines..... :unsure:

I know what you mean about caffeine, I drink coffee all day, and if I don't I get A horrible headache, something that I am trying to wing myself off of.

my wild child use to be the worlds worst about drinking those, I did not buy them for him, he did, he watched a show one day on tv about how they can actually make your heart explode, your heart can only handle so much caffeine, and he has slacked off of them some what.

i don't disagree that caffeine is a drug. i don't disagree that it has harmful side effects if taken in inappropriate doses.

however, even if it's not good for you, it's legal.

i buy my 16 year old energy drinks occasionally. i also buy him regular sodas when we go to a drive thru.

i guess i view it the same way i do tylenol or benedryl. i buy it and keep it in the house more often than i do caffeine. and if taken in inappropriate doses, it can be fatal.

moderation is how i choose to deal with legal drugs. it's the best solution i can come up with.

I drink coffee. I also know I NEED a cup of coffee in the morning. They don't add extra caffeine to the coffee I drink (I'm sure they probably do to some coffees). Most of us have had too much coffee at one time before and know you get jittery and your heart races. One energy drink is akin to too much coffee.

I see kids with energy drinks all day long at school. They don't buy them at school, they bring them.

I know it's hard to know every purchase a kid makes and you can't monitor what they do away from home, but it is a good idea to let kids know how harmful caffeine can be in such large doses. I don't know how they can stand to drink them~ they make my hair crawl.

I don't have a large issue with kids who are grown drinking them. Middle school and younger aged kids shouldn't have them. At all. It isn't good for them. They haven't been around long enough for anyone to know the longterm effects. Plus, as Ali mentioned, most kids don't need the "boost".

i don't disagree that caffeine is a drug. i don't disagree that it has harmful side effects if taken in inappropriate doses.

however, even if it's not good for you, it's legal.

i buy my 16 year old energy drinks occasionally. i also buy him regular sodas when we go to a drive thru.

i guess i view it the same way i do tylenol or benedryl. i buy it and keep it in the house more often than i do caffeine. and if taken in inappropriate doses, it can be fatal.

moderation is how i choose to deal with legal drugs. it's the best solution i can come up with.

I would rather see kids have benedryl than caffeine. lol.

I know what you mean about caffeine, I drink coffee all day, and if I don't I get A horrible headache, something that I am trying to wing myself off of.

my wild child use to be the worlds worst about drinking those, I did not buy them for him, he did, he watched a show one day on tv about how they can actually make your heart explode, your heart can only handle so much caffeine, and he has slacked off of them some what.

I wonder if they have that show on Youtube? That would be good for all kids to see.

One of mine started drinking those energy drinks at 18. She is 19 and has just recovered from a bleeding ulcer. Her doctor told her it was probably the energy drinks and that they are starting to see it more and more in young people.

I don't know if you tube would have it or not, it was on a show like 20/20 or something like that,

yep they also mentioned the bleeding ulcers, those drinks ate through the lining of stomach. and they rot your teeth, they have so much sugar in them.

I know what you mean about the morning coffee, no one speaks to me until I have had my coffee.. my sister has called me before early in the morning before I have had my coffee and when she found out I had not had my coffee yet ( which didn't take long) she told me to call her when I had had my first cup LOL

The problem I have with them is what if the child has an undiagnosed heart problem or diabetes? This could go for adults too. These drinks can kill them. The caffeine is much more than with coffee or tea. Hubby says that in France RedBull and some other energy drinks are ILLEGAL for anyone because of the taurine found in them.

What shocked me was a student telling me last fall that each member of their rec football team had to down an energy drink before a game. I immediately wondered how many parents knew their child was being told to drink one. It really bothered me, thinking that a child might reason that if it was acceptable to the football coach, it must be safe and okay.

I agree it's a drug, and I don't think my children have had one (who knows though), but I also don't think it's my business to tell another parent what they should do.

By the way, do you think all of those football parents were okay with the handing out of the energy drinks for their kids before the game? If I don't want my kids to drink them, surely other parents think the same!

OMG! I totally thought this when reading that thread but didn't want to insert my opinions there. When I taught Health I made sure to include a unit on the dangers of energy drinks....especailly for kids.

It amazes me the number of kids drinking them at school.......especially the kids that are ALWAYS in trouble (usually for hyperactivity related offenses).

DDD

My maw-maw raised me on coffee when I was only 5...cold meds contain speed that is much more powerful than caffeine ever thought about being...Tylenol trashes your liver, as does Ibuprophen (Advil), and sugar is a death nail for some people. So, I guess my question would be.....nevermind. No question, just really scratching my head really hard. :blink:

I guess if I were a Morman I would be more concerned, but then that would wipe other things I like...such as tea, chocolates, Coke (a'Cola) and so forth. If your kids are sick and you give them Nyquil, then you have it all...speed, downers, and ALCOHOL.

It doesn't matter what it is, the rule of thumb remains the same for EVERYTHING....MODERATION. ;) :good:

My maw-maw raised me on coffee when I was only 5...cold meds contain speed that is much more powerful than caffeine ever thought about being...Tylenol trashes your liver, as does Ibuprophen (Advil), and sugar is a death nail for some people. So, I guess my question would be.....nevermind. No question, just really scratching my head really hard. :blink:

I guess if I were a Morman I would be more concerned, but then that would wipe other things I like...such as tea, chocolates, Coke (a'Cola) and so forth. If your kids are sick and you give them Nyquil, then you have it all...speed, downers, and ALCOHOL.

It doesn't matter what it is, the rule of thumb remains the same for EVERYTHING....MODERATION. ;) :good:

MY biggest issue with the drinks for middle school aged kids----parents have NO IDEA why little Johnny can't sit still and pay attention in class (never mind that he's downed 2 energy drinks BEFORE arriving at school and you packed another one in his lunch)---and blame the teacher for not "controlling" the class or being too strict. <----speaking from experience

What shocked me was a student telling me last fall that each member of their rec football team had to down an energy drink before a game. I immediately wondered how many parents knew their child was being told to drink one. It really bothered me, thinking that a child might reason that if it was acceptable to the football coach, it must be safe and okay.

I agree it's a drug, and I don't think my children have had one (who knows though), but I also don't think it's my business to tell another parent what they should do.

By the way, do you think all of those football parents were okay with the handing out of the energy drinks for their kids before the game? If I don't want my kids to drink them, surely other parents think the same!

I don't think so!!! Winning at any cost is not on the agenda for my child and that coach would have been told that in no uncertain terms. It is people like that that make me not want to be involved in team sports at all. I'm not a team player in that respect.

MY biggest issue with the drinks for middle school aged kids----parents have NO IDEA why little Johnny can't sit still and pay attention in class (never mind that he's downed 2 energy drinks BEFORE arriving at school and you packed another one in his lunch)---and blame the teacher for not "controlling" the class or being too strict.

I understand.....and we didn't have those Red Bulls when I was in school. But I did drink coffee, and I also (later) found out I had massive ADD. But this was back in the 70's. The cure? Your teacher could pop your a$$ with a bolo paddle and get you to settle down.

I really don't wanna get started on this one though. I have a MUCH bigger problem with lack of discipline being handed out by parents than a Red Bull would have ever crossed my mind. In all fairness....we kids played OUTSIDE....played ball, rode bikes, and everything you could imagine that had us passed out cold by 8 or 9 at night. I really don't see how cell phones, computers, etc. can drain a kid's energy all that well. I know I'm old school......and dog gonnit!!!! I really miss old school. The word we used back that day was not "Old School"....it was "Common Sense". ;)

Yep, I buy them for him a sew times a week especially when he is loaded with homework.

He will be expected to burn the candle at both ends to be successful in our society.

Now shall we discuss what people feed their kids?

Prepackaged foods to the point they gag on vegetables.

Over the counter drugs anyone?

We alter ourselves and our children's health with chemicals every day!

Extremism is quite popular in our society, all or nothing, good or bad.

There are a few things that folks talk about on here that are common everyday accepted practices that I bite my tongue about.

Because I think it is dangerous and abusive!!

So yeah I drug my kid and so does everyone else!

Yep, I buy them for him a sew times a week especially when he is loaded with homework.

He will be expected to burn the candle at both ends to be successful in our society.

Now shall we discuss what people feed their kids?

Prepackaged foods to the point they gag on vegetables.

Over the counter drugs anyone?

We alter ourselves and our children's health with chemicals every day!

Extremism is quite popular in our society, all or nothing, good or bad.

There are a few things that folks talk about on here that are common everyday accepted practices that I bite my tongue about.

Because I think it is dangerous and abusive!!

So yeah I drug my kid and so does everyone else!

Now see.....this is why I love you so much!! :wub: Only you were sweet enough to say "extremism"...whereas I would have said "ignorant in the field of biology and human anatomy". :lol:

God bless' em though....it aint their fault, so much as it's the government and lobbyist TV ad's, whose sole purpose now consists only of dispersing disinformation in an effort to line some butt head CEO's pockets with lots and lots of money. The tragedy is two fold....first they are affecting our own children by misleading parents, and secondly, more and more of the younger general public has been raised on believing everything the government says to be true.

It reminds me of a good friend I had back in my 20's who over-dosed on marijuana. His heart literally exploded!!!...;)

Ease up yall.....I'm kidding. In fact, one might say I am "dripping with abrasive sarcasm" right now.

Even funnier is this...the reason I know so much about these things (and some other things) is because I was a jittery kid, so my mom took me to the store to pick out books on things I wanted to learn, as well as enrolled me in baseball league, marching band, and anything that would wear me down. Had some of these drugs been available back when I was a kid, I would probably know about 2% of what I learned to this day.

I know this may piss some people off.....but the truth is a painful thing for some, yet it has amazing redeeming qualities!!! The truth...will set you FREE!!!!!!

Thank you, I'm done......for now. :p

I think it's a status thing like holding your phone all the time. :lol: :blink:

My son just bought monster shirts and posters at the motor cross.

He does understand that they are not good for you and uses them moderately.

I have tried them, they have a lot of acid in them.

You are right they are a pop culture thing and the marketing is directed at kids.

My son listens to me and we talk about it.

I am very proud of him, he has an application on his phone that lets him track his calories and protein and uses it daily.

He has made a huge effort to try new veggies this year and has acquired a taste for many of them, he even makes his own salads and stir fries his own vegetables, he just turned 15 and I am so proud of him for the efforts he is making on his own to improve his health.

My son just bought monster shirts and posters at the motor cross.

He does understand that they are not good for you and uses them moderately.

I have tried them, they have a lot of acid in them.

You are right they are a pop culture thing and the marketing is directed at kids.

My son listens to me and we talk about it.

I am very proud of him, he has an application on his phone that lets him track his calories and protein and uses it daily.

He has made a huge effort to try new veggies this year and has acquired a taste for many of them, he even makes his own salads and stir fries his own vegetables, he just turned 15 and I am so proud of him for the efforts he is making on his own to improve his health.

Here's one of those points I try to...well....point out. Dang, I sound like Austin Powers now! :lol: There's a heap more acid in the following items than in, let's say a small can of Red Bull....

Aspirin (salicylic acid)

Orange Juice (or even worse, grapefruit or lemon juice) Citric acid can literally eat the lining from some people's stomachs, and is even used in some mag wheel cleaners.....think about that.

Do you like that tangy BBQ with vinegar? Acetic acid....literally.

Are all of these acids hazardous to our health? Yes, if too much is ingested, and No....they can be good for our health as long as we ingest the proper amount. Again...moderation, but most of all, educate yourself on these things. We have the internet now, and it is your friend. I used to use those heavy, cumbersome things called books, but it's all the same.

Again....only trying to help and dispel some common myths that simply won't go away. I am a loving person.....I may come off as a butt sometimes, but my intentions remain the same....caring for my fellow people.

I think it's a status thing like holding your phone all the time. :lol: :blink:

Peer pressure!!! Kids get away with more stuff in the world today! I thought in my time a bowl was good, but if I had a child.....hell no. I have to agree with the op, it is a drug and I would not encourage it at all

Peer pressure!!! Kids get away with more stuff in the world today! I thought in my time a bowl was good, but if I had a child.....hell no. I have to agree with the op, it is a drug and I would not encourage it at all

Well, if you read about me getting hooked on coffee at age 4.....then read my posts, I think I helped make your point. ;)

Of course, I think there's a lot of hyperbole here, but the best drug is NO DRUG. Nuff said. ;) I was too young to know any better, and please don't get me started on cigarettes...the most addictive drug on the planet, as far as I am concerned. Stupidest thing I ever got hooked on. The best I can do is try to discourage it from younger people.

MY biggest issue with the drinks for middle school aged kids----parents have NO IDEA why little Johnny can't sit still and pay attention in class (never mind that he's downed 2 energy drinks BEFORE arriving at school and you packed another one in his lunch)---and blame the teacher for not "controlling" the class or being too strict. <----speaking from experience

I know at my childs Middle School they are not even allowed to have a caffinated drink... How is it they can walk around with an energy drink... It has Caffine

Edited by Jenny30

deeet deeette ddett eddde e... This just in from the news desk... Scientists at the American Medical Foundation have just released a report proving that reading is FATAL.... Thats right ladies and gentlemen, It seems theat all the data availabe to us now confirms that 100% of people who read, die. Persistent onset of death from reading can come at any moment, or can take an entire lifetime to reach end stage condiion.... Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.....

I understand.....and we didn't have those Red Bulls when I was in school. But I did drink coffee, and I also (later) found out I had massive ADD. But this was back in the 70's. The cure? Your teacher could pop your a$$ with a bolo paddle and get you to settle down.

I really don't wanna get started on this one though. I have a MUCH bigger problem with lack of discipline being handed out by parents than a Red Bull would have ever crossed my mind. In all fairness....we kids played OUTSIDE....played ball, rode bikes, and everything you could imagine that had us passed out cold by 8 or 9 at night. I really don't see how cell phones, computers, etc. can drain a kid's energy all that well. I know I'm old school......and dog gonnit!!!! I really miss old school. The word we used back that day was not "Old School"....it was "Common Sense". ;)

:good: I agree!

I remember when people put Coke and Kool aid in baby bottles.

They also gave them whiskey for teething and colic.

See we grew up just fine! :rolleyes:

PSST I have never had kool aid in my home :p

I remember when people put Coke and Kool aid in baby bottles.

They also gave them whiskey for teething and colic.

See we grew up just fine! :rolleyes:

PSST I have never had kool aid in my home :p

Not being naive, but, really people did that? Wow!

And then people wonder why their toddler was so hyper. LOL LOL

My 15 (soon to be 16 year old) drinks them occasionally. I do not buy them for her...and she knows I hate them...but every so often she'll have one. They amp her up terribly and I hate that she drinks them. But..as stated...I can't watch her 24/7. She also drinks sweet tea and soda.

Now...my 6 year old. He very rarely drinks soda, does have a glass of sweet tea sometimes, but more often than anything is drinking water, juice, or milk. I just don't like the idea of him becoming addicted to caffeine so young.

Honestly I have NEVER touched a energy drink and nor have my sons 11 and 9. My Middle Schooler has asked and I have explained the complications that go with these drinks. He has aspergers and ADHD and really needs nothing. I am amazed how his friends guzzle these things down and wonder why these parents feel it is ok to give these kids these drinks. As long as I am around my kids will NOT touch these they are very dangerous.

Not being naive, but, really people did that? Wow!

And then people wonder why their toddler was so hyper. LOL LOL

no, not true. I lived up north and my husbands grandparents did that to my son for teething also, he is a very good well manner 15 years old. He doesnt have any of the "ADD, ADHD, Bipolar, and stuff like that. And in fact I put kool aid in my kids bottle also. And they are all fine. My daughter was a child that had a temper, I took her to a dr, and they said "bipolar", I said NOT. We started being more harder on her, not letting her get away with the temper, and you know what...... She is doing better, because she know that crap isnt going to work around us. That was 5 years ago, now she is 11 and is fine. These kids now a days get away with to much crap. If they act up in the stores, I see parents buy them stuff to keep them calm.

YOU KNOW WHAT iM STEPPING AWAY FROM THIS TREAD,, OR ATLEAST IM GOING TO TRY :blush: BECAUSE I COULD GET SO STARTED.........

Honestly I have NEVER touched a energy drink and nor have my sons 11 and 9. My Middle Schooler has asked and I have explained the complications that go with these drinks. He has aspergers and ADHD and really needs nothing. I am amazed how his friends guzzle these things down and wonder why these parents feel it is ok to give these kids these drinks. As long as I am around my kids will NOT touch these they are very dangerous.

The bad thing is the more you drink of it the more you need to get the same effect from them.

I think this is why kids are guzzling them.

They make you feel terrible and cranky when they wear off too.

I really wish I could get ALL of your responses and lump them together. They are all perfect for this thread and are exactly what I would post. Now, I was not raised on coffee but everything elase is perfectly said! :wub:

I've drank coffee, tea and cola for years. It's amazing what you can give up when you have too. Now I drink weak green chia tea and an occasional ginger ale. It's all about choices. If you choose to give your children caffine be aware of the dangers.

As far as kids being dropped off at Stars and Strikes, Sparkles, the mall, the movies where ever, you should think long and hard if they are really up to the responsibility. These are not day camps.