Paulding.com

Just wondering if you pcommers get along with your in laws or not.

I was reading another thread about someone's DD, SIL and grandchildren moving out. I would have to avoid living with my in laws at ALL costs...one of us would end up in a psych ward (MIL) or jail!!

My in laws are wonderful people but I am glad they live 10 hours away in NC! When I first married my husband 11yrs ago, we got along very well. Lately there is a definite strain on our relationship and their relationship with my husband. My 2 oldest children are beginning to ask why they don't come visit, they think they don't love them or want to see them :(

I honestly believe they resent me for "keeping" my husband in GA. My MIL made a comment that she would be happy living wherever her husband wanted to live. She also believes we are keeping her from her grandkids by not letting them come to NC. When we just had 2 kids, my in laws kept them for a weekend (we were 3 hrs away in Raleigh) and halfway thru the weekend, my FIL called and said we needed to come get the kids, MIL was having a nervous breakdown! She has always had mental health issues and has been in & out of facilities. My husband reminded her of that weekend and explained that we don't feel comfortable letting her keep them, especially now that there are 4!! She told him to NEVER call her again...but called him a week later as if nothing happened.

She said she needs intense therapy after she stays with us b/c I "ignore" her when she's here. I do NOT ignore her!! She has told me that she doesn't need to be "entertained" so I don't entertain her! I let her enjoy time with her grandkids since she only sees them once or twice a year...

I could go on and on...the last time they were here, we went to eat at Buffalo's and they take FOREVER to eat b/c they want to talk so much. Well my kids were done and the 2yr old was restless and ready to leave and the 3 month old needed to be nursed. I took them to the van so they could finish their meal and my crabby kids wouldn't disrupt the whole place! 6 months later they told my husband how rude it was that I did that! I'm sorry, but it would have been WAY more rude to let the 2yr old scream and then whip out my boob to nurse my baby!!

I guess I am just stressing b/c MIL is coming next weekend to celebrate 2 of my kids b-days. I HATE feeling like I have to walk on eggshells around them. She may not even come now b/c she kept sending emails of blonde jokes (I am usually blonde) and after the last one she sent, I responded "After all these blonde jokes, I'm glad I am brunette this month!" I'm sure it pissed her off and she probably had to call for more therapy rather than have a sense of humor!

So, am I the only one with in law issues?

Edited by nowens98

No...My MIL use to love to make me the butt of every joke and through the fact that "I never did without" when I was growing up. I did without in my life, I just did not do without $. You can still have $ and do without the MOST important things in life.

My favorite is her comment to my SIL that "I must have a good _____, because he (my boyfriend now hubby) gives me anything I want".

No...My MIL use to love to make me the butt of every joke and through the fact that "I never did without" when I was growing up. I did without in my life, I just did not do without $. You can still have $ and do without the MOST important things in life.

My favorite is her comment to my SIL that "I must have a good _____, because he (my boyfriend now hubby) gives me anything I want".

WOW!

My MIL recently told my husband "He'll see my true colors when I stop getting my way" WTH? I don't try to "get my way"!

What's so funny is that when I first married my husband, my MIL HATED her other DIL. Now she loves her and hates me!

my MIL told me when hubby and I got engaged that I was "taking her baby from her". hubby is an only child.

edited to add: hubby was 26 years old when we got married

But does she act like she resents you for it now or do you get along ok?

Wow, what a beeotch! That must have been very hard to handle.

NO, I went to stay with my MIL when my papa passed away in Jan. (my dad's dad) My MIL was on the phone, I was sitting right beside her and she says "yep everybody is alive and well, expect my papa". I was heartbroken anyways, she just added to my pain. Then she actually laughed about it. UNforgivable!

NO, I went to stay with my MIL when my papa passed away in Jan. (my dad's dad) My MIL was on the phone, I was sitting right beside her and she says "yep everybody is alive and well, expect my papa". I was heartbroken anyways, she just added to my pain. Then she actually laughed about it. UNforgivable!

That is terrible and yes, unforgivable.

My MIL is a whack-a-do. I love her, but dealing with her is a chore. She is a narcotic addict, passive aggressive and can be really mean in a 'nice' way. Like, 'Your hair is so pretty...I hate you' or 'You make me sick because you are thin'. REALLY?!?!?

Also 4 ambulance rides thinking she had had a stroke or worse and it was because of Ambian or some other drug over dose. UUURRRRGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!

She was mean to my daughter on her 21st birthday with a NASTY card telling her that she didn't approve of the things she was doing like getting a tattoo. This was just at a month after my sister had died suddenly and it almost killed all of us including my daughter, none of us were acting sane. What grandmother would do that?

Hubby says that I have a chip on my shoulder the size of a lumber yard and he's right and very understanding.

What do you do?!?!?

My MIL is a whack-a-do. I love her, but dealing with her is a chore. She is a narcotic addict, passive aggressive and can be really mean in a 'nice' way. Like, 'Your hair is so pretty...I hate you' or 'You make me sick because you are thin'. REALLY?!?!?

Also 4 ambulance rides thinking she had had a stroke or worse and it was because of Ambian or some other drug over dose. UUURRRRGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!

She was mean to my daughter on her 21st birthday with a NASTY card telling her that she didn't approve of the things she was doing like getting a tattoo. This was just at a month after my sister had died suddenly and it almost killed all of us including my daughter, none of us were acting sane. What grandmother would do that?

Hubby says that I have a chip on my shoulder the size of a lumber yard and he's right and very understanding.

What do you do?!?!?

Maybe they are just pissed that we "took their sons away from them"!

My MIL has a problem with all of her meds, she is on several anti-depressant/anti-anxiety meds and I really don't think they help her. She did "try" to OD about a year ago. Her brother slit his wrists about 6 months after she "tried" to OD and she kept saying she didn't understand how someone could want to end their lives....UM, didn't you try 6 months ago?! I really think she is bi-polar and doesn't remember her depressive episodes. When she's manic, she is OVERLY happy and friendly. I know she needs help b/c whatever she is trying right now isn't working for her.

I hurt for my kids that they don't have the relationship with them that every child should have with their grandparents. But, I am very blessed that me mom lives 25 min away and we see her all the time!!

My father in law molested all three of my daughters. My mother in law knew about it and did nothing to stop it. So, no, you're not the only one with in law issues.

I'm so sorry, that is awful! I hope he's rotting in jail and then hell after that!

My father in law molested all three of my daughters. My mother in law knew about it and did nothing to stop it. So, no, you're not the only one with in law issues.

I am SO sorry that happened to your girls :(

My in law issues are nothing compared to that.

I miss my inlaws. Especially my FIL. I loved that man!!! :wub:

Ask me about my 1st set of inlaws and I'll tell you they were HORRIBLE!!! My exMIL told me if I ever left her son that he would never see his daughter. At the time I was shocked because his biological father did that to him. She was right. I left him when she was 9 months old and he hasn't seen her since. She is 23 and is about to give birth to our (me and DH) 1st Granddaughter. DH is her Dad, Father, etc.... :wub: :wub: :wub:

I was blessed. My MIL was wonderful..........my brothers and sisters inlaw are fantastic! I never knew my FIL, but I have been told I would like him and he would have loved me!

Now my husband can't say the same of HIS MIL............lol

All I can say about this, is what goes around comes around, I am a grandma of 11. Even if you feel like you are having to walk on eggshells. They are probably too. I hope you do not have any boys. Their wife will lead them too. that can be in a positive or negative way. The girls always come home to visit or live close by.Put your MIL and FIL shoes on for a while and imagine your children not letting you take your granbabies home. ouch that hurt huh. do the right thing. your children are probably old enough that they can fend for themselves or let one or two at a time go stay with them.Trust me on this one. If you do not let your children have that visitation time with grandma and grandpa, they will not acknowledge with you when it is your turn to be a granparent.

All I can say about this, is what goes around comes around, I am a grandma of 11. Even if you feel like you are having to walk on eggshells. They are probably too. I hope you do not have any boys. Their wife will lead them too. that can be in a positive or negative way. The girls always come home to visit or live close by.Put your MIL and FIL shoes on for a while and imagine your children not letting you take your granbabies home. ouch that hurt huh. do the right thing. your children are probably old enough that they can fend for themselves or let one or two at a time go stay with them.Trust me on this one. If you do not let your children have that visitation time with grandma and grandpa, they will not acknowledge with you when it is your turn to be a granparent.

Very wise words. Parents, your children are listening and watching. just sayin.....

• Like 1

I have major issues with my mother in law, who is still alive. She has never acknowledged her part in what he did and has never admitted that it ever happened. Not just in regard to my daughters but to the others that my FIL molested through the years. And there were others. How many others will never be known.

Eternal punishment??? After what he did, he deserves to rot in hell.

I bet most of you complaining are in your 20's or early 30's ,been there. I left home when I was 15 years old. I had a perverted stepdad.even when I started having kids , I never restricted my mother from seeing my children and guess what, she died in 2003 and you would think I would be done with my stepdad. wrong mom has been gone for 7 years and I let him live in my mother's home. he is 80 years old.All by himself, no family , no friends and getting older by the minute. Every time I go over there I expect to walk in and find him dead. Is that what I wanted was to lose my mom and have to put up with that SOB no, but h-ll no. but once again I am gonna do what is right. The blood is on his hands, and I did not do the wrong thing. I do not want to throw him out because I too will be old and I willbe blessed by having someone taking care of me especially because I did what was right, whether I liked it or not.ya'll think about your whinning.

• Like 1

I'd gladly trade my MIL for anyone else's mentioned on here. Hey, I'll throw in a now deceased brother in law, too!

I bet most of you complaining are in your 20's or early 30's ,been there. I left home when I was 15 years old. I had a perverted stepdad.even when I started having kids , I never restricted my mother from seeing my children and guess what, she died in 2003 and you would think I would be done with my stepdad. wrong mom has been gone for 7 years and I let him live in my mother's home. he is 80 years old.All by himself, no family , no friends and getting older by the minute. Every time I go over there I expect to walk in and find him dead. Is that what I wanted was to lose my mom and have to put up with that SOB no, but h-ll no. but once again I am gonna do what is right. The blood is on his hands, and I did not do the wrong thing. I do not want to throw him out because I too will be old and I willbe blessed by having someone taking care of me especially because I did what was right, whether I liked it or not.ya'll think about your whinning.

Some things you should complain about and vent. It makes putting on your happy face for the inlaws so much better. ^_^

I guess what I am trying to say is we cannot go around holding grudges and whinning and blaming everybody else for our problems or situations, we have to step up to the plae and do whats is the right thing. MY stepdad does not deserve on ounce of respect or dignity.But I have to answer to a higher authority, so with that being said, I will do the right thing. No matter how bad it hurts me.

I know that as people get older, they tend to suffer with Dementia. I have had this to happen in my family, you have to read up on it, your family inlaws could be suffering with this. I have lost several members of my family with this mental Disease and that is what it is MENTAL DISEASE. It can start around age 50 and up.

I'm in no way saying I won't be there for my in-laws. My hubby and I have been wanting to move and find some land. I just recently mentioned to him that we have a lot to consider in our next purchase. Our parents aren't getting any younger and may soon end up w/ or very (I mean possibly having a small house built on our property) close to us. We need to consider our next home to have either an in-law suite and no stairs. My MIL has a hard time getting in to my house with the hilly driveway and two flights of stairs.

I would love to have a great relationship w/ my MIL. It is not horrible and actually has been getting better over the years. I have to give Twilight a hand in that. I got her hooked and we make a point to go see the movies and share all kinds of books on the actors and stuff. It's been nice. Less friction.

My original MIL was...interesting to deal with. I loved her, to death, but there was a definite clash in personalities and lifestyles. I chalked it up to her being from the north and me being very, very southern. She thought I was rude the first time she met me because I walked in the room and said 'Hey ya'll!' instead of individually greeting everybody. :blush: I was just raised that way...and I was only 16 at the time. When her son screwed up and I was in tears over our ending marriage, she was right there on the phone listening to me, calming me down, and giving me the 'he's just like his father' speech. 2.5 years later, I'm evil. :rolleyes: I've called her two Mother's Days in a row and been sent to voicemail and never called or texted back after I left a sweet message. Did I mention she's not a very good grandmother, either? Never picked the little one up for anything...not once. For the first five years, she saw her at Christmas and *maybe* once or twice when we went over there....and she lives in Douglasville. She sees her more now that the ex lives out that way, but still only a handfull of times a year. Never once showed up to a birthday party, either.

Now, the soon-to-be MIL is another story. She's brash, opinionated, loud-mouthed...and happens to absolutely adore me. I've known her since I was 16, also. I talk to her every day, several times a day, about everything from curtains to sex. Years and years ago, she once told me that she wished her son and I were together instead of with our then-spouses. When it happened, she was the first person we called (and she screamed. :rolleyes::lol:). She was at a Slumber Party I did for her sister back in the fall and was the most open of the whole group despite the fact that I was the consultant. Does she get on my nerves? Sometimes. Who doesn't? She would probably get on my nerves more often if she wasn't 4 hours away in Mystic. I do, however, consider her one of my closest friends. ♥

I'm in no way saying I won't be there for my in-laws. My hubby and I have been wanting to move and find some land. I just recently mentioned to him that we have a lot to consider in our next purchase. Our parents aren't getting any younger and may soon end up w/ or very (I mean possibly having a small house built on our property) close to us. We need to consider our next home to have either an in-law suite and no stairs. My MIL has a hard time getting in to my house with the hilly driveway and two flights of stairs.

I would love to have a great relationship w/ my MIL. It is not horrible and actually has been getting better over the years. I have to give Twilight a hand in that. I got her hooked and we make a point to go see the movies and share all kinds of books on the actors and stuff. It's been nice. Less friction.

That's the spirit. I have a close friend of mine whose MIL hated her , but at the end My friend took care of her day in and day out, she bathe her, fed her and gave her dignity at the end, and the woman before she died told my friend Thank you and I Love You. That was worth the hell my friend went through and she came out the winner.we all have different personalities. I have in laws I cannot stand, they are not good citizens if you know what I mean and it is a wonder my husband has turned out the way that he has, but with a possitive wife, friends, co-workers, etc. we can all become better people, and even the most ugly attitude in laws can change too. we just have to do what is right on us.I pray nightly for my hubb'y family. Have for years.

I am SO sorry that happened to your girls :(

My in law issues are nothing compared to that.

Reading these threads should make you feel greatful and blessed. send her a beautiful card 1 time a month, show her that you are trying to really be a loving DIL. you have to work too on this relationship. Hang in there. As we have read. It could be worse.

My Mom had the MIL from hell. My Grandmother was the one to watch if you wanted to know how NOT to be a great MIL. She was hateful to Mama (and Daddy) all my life. Always saying snarky things and just being really mean. Even after my parents divorced she made it a point to make sure we visited and spent time with our G'mother. Mama even helped her clean her filthy house and move into a retirement community. Mama was ALWAYS kind to this woman to whom she owed nothing since 1978 (when parents divorced). When I lost my Mom I was shattered. Said to G'mother that my Mom was the best Mom in the world. Know what she said? Oh, your Mom was not a good Mom...... this was the day I lost my Mom and she says this! If was the final straw. I made sure she knew she was not to come up for the service because she was not welcome. I had lived 40 years with this hateful woman and at this point I was just done. I never spoke to her after that. When she died- I went to the funeral for my Dad. I swear it was one of the hottest days ever and I think I was because she is in hell and wanted us to share in the heat...

I ramble... I feel bad for those of you who have a horrible MIL. I had the best inlaws (2nd time around) and DH will tell you the same. He loved my Mom and Dad. Daddy is still with us and he and DH get along very well.

Grandparents have to earn the right to 'take your grandbabies home', that isn't a right that is a given. Why on Gods green earth would I or any other parent let their child go home with or especially ride with a grandparent when they are eating narcotics like Smarties? That is a ridiculous statement. My childs safety is first and foremost the most important job in my life and bad behavior will not get my child to anyones house even if they are a grandparent.

It makes me sad that 2nd grader has no real relationship with his grandmother, but the blame falls to her, not us. It's unacceptable when a 7 year old says, 'Why is MeeMaw talking like that or why is she walking funny' and I refuse to let him be around that kind of thing whether it's a stranger or his grandmother.

Wrong...I'm 47 years old with three grandbabies of my own and my daughter knows she can trust us with her kids. You don't have to be 25 to have bad in-laws.

Edited by momof 3
  • Like 1

Wow - timely topic as my MIL called and left a message yesterday - on the home phone instead of on my husbands work phone. I made sure to hand him the phone to listen to it because she has told many members of the family that I never gave him messages - gave, because after 18 years (oh, I'm 48, no in my 20/30's) - on my birthday in 2009, she was so nasty to me over the phone that I ended up screaming an apology for being such a sh**** DIL and hung up. He won't call her back - he'll wait until she calls again. My husband had heard the entire side of my conversation back on my birthday and my asking her politely to let me off of the phone so my guys could take me to lunch. Thankfully, he heard that (several times) and had turned and told me to just hang up on her. Afterwards, she told him I was a liar that I'd never asked to get off of the phone and that I was the nasty one. When he told her he had sat and listened to everything I had said, she still didn't believe him because he was supposed to have been at work and she just thought I'd lied and he was taking my side. There is not enough room on pcom to try and explain her. Her friends, her brother (oh, her sister is just like her), so many people have asked me over the years how I've been so good to her when she was so awful to me. Her brother & best friend have pulled me aside over the years to tell me to not let her destroy my marriage. My husband is so torn. He loves his dad beyond belief & I know deep down, he loves her, but he's distanced himself from them. She's just awful to be around. She can't understand why my son who is 12 doesn't want to be with her. She's done/said so many just hateful things to my son his whole life. I always made him be respectful and kept my mouth shut figuring he'd make his own decisions about her as he grew up. No restaurant on earth can cook/prepare/present her food to her and she always berates the wait staff and asks for management. To the extent of telling Henry @ Henry's Louisiana Grill in Acworth what changes need to be made to his recipes. She's always wanted us to invite them to visit - but, when we have invited them for a specific date, we've been turned down due to her tennis schedule, her taking a friend to the doctor, her wanting to attend a wedding that she wasn't invited to (yes, she did), or her saying my FIL couldn't get off of work and if she left him to visit her only grandchild, he wouldn't eat properly, etc, etc. So, we've always told them to tell us when it was convenient for them to come and we've cancelled events (yes, she knows that) to accomodate them - yet, she hasn't always felt welcome here. In July 08 when she jumped out of a moving car over something my child said and my son had nightmares that she'd been killed - that was the last time my son really tried to have anything to do with her. She tells everyone how my son & my husband are the light of her life - yet, when they are around, she spends more time on the phone, sitting outside smoking, telling everyone that they are in town visiting her. Because she blamed me for all the problems - even though my husband would tell her how he felt & that my son was actually scared of her- after my birthday fiasco, I just no longer talk to her and my guys went to see them alone at Christmas. She hates the restaurants my husband wants to go to in Florida (where they live) and had always blamed me for having to go to seafood restaurants. When they went there without me even being in the state of FL, she said it was just because he wanted to prove a point that he'd do anything for me and nothing for her. Her biggest thing right now - she has sent me $250 - $300 for my birthday/Christmas present ever year since my son was born (because the Christmas before she had bought me 14 expensive, though gaudy, angel jewelry pins that I tried to oooh/ahhhh over as I opened each one and an "As seen on tv" sewing machine & her husband told her to stop buying me junk and that I was just being polite when accepting all the junk she bought me). Every year I put those checks into my son's college fund - although she told family that she KNEW I didn't do that. Well, I didn't deposit the 2009/2010 birthday check nor the Christmas check. My husband told her that I do not want the checks, partly on principle that I don't want anything to do with her any longer and partly because she never believed where they went anyway - and she's pissed. Her comment? What are people going to think if she (me)refuses to take my present? She told my husband she has spent the last year analyzing our last conversation and just can't figure out where she went wrong. He's tired of trying to tell her where she went wrong because she says she just didn't know why anything she could say or do would hurt my feelings when all she's ever done is try to be nice to me? Of course, her parting shot to my husband - "Well, she's never loved me, but she's always treated me better than any daughter in law anyone has and now, what am I to say to people?". Whew - I actually feel better! Thanks! (I don't beotch to my hubby about her, I just keep it all in)

My Mom had the MIL from hell. My Grandmother was the one to watch if you wanted to know how NOT to be a great MIL. She was hateful to Mama (and Daddy) all my life. Always saying snarky things and just being really mean. Even after my parents divorced she made it a point to make sure we visited and spent time with our G'mother. Mama even helped her clean her filthy house and move into a retirement community. Mama was ALWAYS kind to this woman to whom she owed nothing since 1978 (when parents divorced). When I lost my Mom I was shattered. Said to G'mother that my Mom was the best Mom in the world. Know what she said? Oh, your Mom was not a good Mom...... this was the day I lost my Mom and she says this! If was the final straw. I made sure she knew she was not to come up for the service because she was not welcome. I had lived 40 years with this hateful woman and at this point I was just done. I never spoke to her after that. When she died- I went to the funeral for my Dad. I swear it was one of the hottest days ever and I think I was because she is in hell and wanted us to share in the heat...

I ramble... I feel bad for those of you who have a horrible MIL. I had the best inlaws (2nd time around) and DH will tell you the same. He loved my Mom and Dad. Daddy is still with us and he and DH get along very well.

wow I do not blame you for feeling the way you feel..

I consider myself very lucky. My first marriage ended in 2002, but I will forever consider my in-laws from that marriage, my number ones :) Love them, they are the most selfless, generous, loving people in the world. My dh even likes them a lot! My dh's mom is wonderful, she treats my chirrens like they are her grandkids and calls them her grandkids without missing a beat. Dh's dad and stepmother are also great! His stepmom reminds me of my mil #1, she never had kids but also loves my kids. Dh's dad is super smart and my lil one is full of questions which he (when he visits) makes sure he answers. I also have a wonderful sister in law but only get to see her a few times a year as they live in California.

My MIL is an ABSOLUTE SAINT. I LOVE LOVE LOVE her the most! I cannot think of one negative thing to say about her. I have never met a single person who can say a bad thing about her. I even have some friends who asked if she had any additional sons they could marry just so she would be their MIL! HaHa. I definitely know I hit the MIL jackpot. Lucky lucky me. After reading some of these stories, I just feel so bad for y'all. Bless your hearts.

SO, In YOUR opinion, I should let my kids go home with them KNOWING she is mentally unstable? If anything happened while my kids are there it would take me AT LEAST 10 HOURS to get to them and I would NOT be willing to take that chance. They can have visitation, at MY house with ME and my HUSBAND present. If my hubby doesn't trust his own mother with our kids, why the hell should I?

We do not discuss my in laws "issues" in front of our kids. They think they don't come visit often b/c my MIL has back problems, which is the truth. We don't visit them b/c we have 4 kids and 2 dogs, mix that with my husband working FULL TIME + OT and 2 of my kids being in school/dance/gymnastics. They are RETIRED and have nothing but time. My FIL would rather go fishing than visit his own SON & GRANDCHILDREN...We have told him countless times that we do have lakes here that he can fish at but he "doesn't want to buy a GA fishing license" he's too cheap. And yes, we have offered to buy it for him!

It's THEIR loss that they are not involved in my kid's lives.