Paulding.com

Need your suggestions

I don't know about cheap but Captiva Island is beautiful and small. You could rent a golf cart to get around and I think the main resort there has camps (on sea life, scuba diving, tennis, sea shells, etc..) for kids. There is also parasailing and well it's just a beautiful place. Sanibel Island is the island you go through to get to it and that is another great place. There is a huge nature preserve and I think either Captiva or Sanibel are considered the shell capitals of the world or something like that. There are shells all along the beaches there.

If you were going a little later in the summer I would recommend Makinaw Island. There are no cars allowed on the island so everyone bikes everywhere. I think they do have an ambulance but that's it. There is an old fort that people like to visit, a butterfly house, the Grand Hotel or lots of little bread and breakfasts. I haven't been there in years but I remember it being very family friendly. I think it might be a bit cold in May though.

One last thought and I used to live there many, many years ago and that is Hilton Head Island. Depending on where you stay they have some great family stuff going on. I hear it has gotten WAY over crowded though so I'm not sure and I do know there is a party crowd as well. I worked for the Hyatt there and it was a great place for families with camps, special restaurants with kid rooms, pools, golf, tennis, mini golf, beaches, all the usual island resort type stuff. The Hyatt isn't there anymore but I remember hearing that Disney put in a hotel so I have to assume there is still alot going on for families. I have never had so many of my Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, etc... visit me as during the years I worked on HH :).

I don't know about cheap but Captiva Island is beautiful and small. You could rent a golf cart to get around and I think the main resort there has camps (on sea life, scuba diving, tennis, sea shells, etc..) for kids. There is also parasailing and well it's just a beautiful place. Sanibel Island is the island you go through to get to it and that is another great place. There is a huge nature preserve and I think either Captiva or Sanibel are considered the shell capitals of the world or something like that. There are shells all along the beaches there.

If you were going a little later in the summer I would recommend Makinaw Island. There are no cars allowed on the island so everyone bikes everywhere. I think they do have an ambulance but that's it. There is an old fort that people like to visit, a butterfly house, the Grand Hotel or lots of little bread and breakfasts. I haven't been there in years but I remember it being very family friendly. I think it might be a bit cold in May though.

One last thought and I used to live there many, many years ago and that is Hilton Head Island. Depending on where you stay they have some great family stuff going on. I hear it has gotten WAY over crowded though so I'm not sure and I do know there is a party crowd as well. I worked for the Hyatt there and it was a great place for families with camps, special restaurants with kid rooms, pools, golf, tennis, mini golf, beaches, all the usual island resort type stuff. The Hyatt isn't there anymore but I remember hearing that Disney put in a hotel so I have to assume there is still alot going on for families. I have never had so many of my Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, etc... visit me as during the years I worked on HH :).

I lived on Captiva for several years...that place has changed so much!!! Will HH be cold in May? What about the Keys, are there any family friendly places there?

As far as the Keys, I honestly would not suggest Key West as a "family friendly" place. I LOVE Key West, but I don't think I'd take my kids if I had any. Plus, there are not really any beaches. I mean, there are, but the best one is the state park, and even there you can't take your shoes off b/c of the pine cones. As for the rest of the Keys, I don't know.

My in-laws used to have a house in Sandestin. It is really nice, and is family friendly. You can rent a golf cart to get around the property. There are a lot of family oriented activities on the property and in the village, and the beach is really, really nice. We had a great time while they lived there. They used to be kind of pricey, but I think since the recession they have come down in price. That's what my FIL told me anyway. I think you should check it out. It's only about 5 hours away from here.

I lived on Captiva for several years...that place has changed so much!!! Will HH be cold in May? What about the Keys, are there any family friendly places there?

I bet there is. We took the kids to Key West for one night this past summer and I will say most of the store fronts were packed with shirts that I considered extremely inappropriate for kids. At the time our kids were 8, 11, and 12 and you can bet my 11 year old sons eyes were popping out. I had only remembered that it was a fun place (as a 20 something) and didn't even consider that it would be different for kids. We still had a blast. It was one night but it was the first non visit family vacation we had taken in 4 years. That was Key West though. I remember like 15 years ago staying at a place in Islamarada that had an awesome pool with all kinds of slides and water fountains and just fun stuff. I was in my mid 20's back then but it looked like a great place to take a family. At night they had awesome music and entertainment for the adults and of course beautiful sunsets.

We went to Myrtle Beach last summer mainly because I saw it advertised as the "best family vacation" in some magazine. The beach is wonderful, rentals are plentiful, restaurants were great and there were lots of amusement park style places, however -- the "main street" in town was loaded with "adult" stores, and they were kind of raunchy! To each their own, but these places had HUGE signs advertising that left us with uncomfortable explaining to do to "new readers"!!! LOL!!

I went to South Florida and the Keys when I was a teen. Key West is a party place, but during the day the sunset is beautiful, and they have some pretty neat "shows" on the streets. People trying to earn a buck. I had a guy walk up to me with a HUGE snake, and put it around my neck...said for $5 I could have my picture taken. I said "I will pay you $5 to get it off ME!!" Anyway, they do have a little aquarium type thing there, plus a Ripleys museum. If I was to vactaion in that area with my boys, I would probably lean towards the Glass Bottom Boat rides (John Pennkamp sp? I think), and everglade stuff. Keep in mind..this info is from 15 years ago. If I was going to vacation in Key West it would probably be an adult vacation.

The boys and I went to Hilton Head over 4th of July weekend. It was actually a paid mini vacation for my job. We only stayed one night, but we had a pretty good time. It was last minute, so we toured the welcome center--and got TONS of ideas. There is a lot to do there. We played mini golf and went to the beach. I will say, I had a heck of a time finding parking for a beach and when we did, we still had to walk a LONG way. I would suggest making sure you get a hotel with a beach. I would go back as a "real" vacation in a heartbeat. Not sure of the weather in May, but it was hot in July! :D

Have you ever heard of Fripp Island? It not to far from Beaufort, SC where they have filmed all kinds of movies. I think they used Fripp (and Hunting Island) to film G I Jane and the war scenes from Forrest Gump. You would be between Charleston, SC and Savannah, GA if you wanted to take some day trips. Hilton Head is also close, even closer by boat. My BIL was married there and it was beautiful. Not crowded at all and not a touristy type of place. Beaufort is a nice small southern town with a lot of history. I was married there so maybe I am a little partial to that area of the south. Fripp is another one of those Golf Cart communities but there are definitely cars on the island too. You need to be a guest of the island to get on and off and to get there you go through Hunting Island which is I believe a state park. My Dad rented a cabin there a few times and that is definitely a quiet place to stay. The beach is beautiful.

You folks probably get tired of my mentions of Daytona Beach, but we love it. There are many, MANY condos to rent. Over the past couple of years it has been far less crowded, I'm sure due to the encomony. We own a week at the Catalina Beach Club, right on the beach and we have also stayed at the Sandollar Condos near the Port Orange Bridge.

I like the Gulf Coast okay, but we be lovin'n the Atlantic. B)

We always loved North Litchfield Beach, SC

Pros:

Quiet

Family Oriented

No Amusement Parks

Plenty of Golf

Nice Beach

Area looks like a neighborhood

No Commercial ammenities at all

Shopping nearby

Some of the best seafood on the planet is a short drive north to Murrels Inlet.

Cons:

I can't think of any

We've always used Dunes Realty, they take care of everything. You can even order linens and not have to take anything except your personal stuff, towels and toys for the kids.

We did this for years as the kids were growing up...best vacation memories we have.

Check it out.

http://www.dunes.com/

http://southcarolina.hometownlocator.com/sc/georgetown/north-litchfield-beach.cfm

I went to South Florida and the Keys when I was a teen. Key West is a party place, but during the day the sunset is beautiful, and they have some pretty neat "shows" on the streets. People trying to earn a buck. I had a guy walk up to me with a HUGE snake, and put it around my neck...said for $5 I could have my picture taken. I said "I will pay you $5 to get it off ME!!" Anyway, they do have a little aquarium type thing there, plus a Ripleys museum. If I was to vactaion in that area with my boys, I would probably lean towards the Glass Bottom Boat rides (John Pennkamp sp? I think), and everglade stuff. Keep in mind..this info is from 15 years ago. If I was going to vacation in Key West it would probably be an adult vacation.

I was just in Key West last September, and you are correct. The only difference is the aquarium is run down, and I couldn't even tell if it was open. It was, but it looked scary from the outside. There are still people on the streets trying to make a buck, and even more with their shows on Mallory Square, but the sunset is so worth it. Like I said before, though, I love Key West. I love the people, the scenery, and the weather. It's just more adult oriented I would def. go back. I hope to soon. We went to go flats fishing, but the weather was so bad the day we got there that the water was too stirred up to fish the whole time we were there. When I say the weather was bad, I mean it was a monsoon. It took us 5 hours from Miami (instead of 3) and it was scary as heck across those bridges. THen they had flash flood warnings. The next day it was beautiful, but nontheless, the water never settle down enough for fishing.

Edited by MrsB

As far as the Keys, I honestly would not suggest Key West as a "family friendly" place. I LOVE Key West, but I don't think I'd take my kids if I had any. Plus, there are not really any beaches. I mean, there are, but the best one is the state park, and even there you can't take your shoes off b/c of the pine cones. As for the rest of the Keys, I don't know.

My in-laws used to have a house in Sandestin. It is really nice, and is family friendly. You can rent a golf cart to get around the property. There are a lot of family oriented activities on the property and in the village, and the beach is really, really nice. We had a great time while they lived there. They used to be kind of pricey, but I think since the recession they have come down in price. That's what my FIL told me anyway. I think you should check it out. It's only about 5 hours away from here.

I agree...no Keys. My friend lived there for a few years on Marathon. I visited her there, and it sucked. There really is not that much to do until you wait for the bars and clubs, and that's not family friendly. Plus...I would not swim in that water down there, ever. My friend got stung by a jellyfish, and every time you go over a bridge and look at the water, you can see TONS of sharks pretty close to the shore. Of course, people swim there all the time and don't get attacked, but it is just too creepy being able to see tons of sharks swimming around like that. Not my cup of tea :)

I agree...no Keys. My friend lived there for a few years on Marathon. I visited her there, and it sucked. There really is not that much to do until you wait for the bars and clubs, and that's not family friendly. Plus...I would not swim in that water down there, ever. My friend got stung by a jellyfish, and every time you go over a bridge and look at the water, you can see TONS of sharks pretty close to the shore. Of course, people swim there all the time and don't get attacked, but it is just too creepy being able to see tons of sharks swimming around like that. Not my cup of tea :)

Last time we were at PCB there were sharks all over the place, too.

Well, I don't know about that.. I really don't swim in the ocean anyway. I only go in about half-calf deep unless my husband is there for me to cling on to :lol: I can swim, but I can't stand it when things swim by and touch me and I don't know what it is. And, I am scared to death there will be a freak rip tide and take me out to sea. I am a scaredy cat at the ocean. I have been known to scream like a little girl in the water at the beach. It kills my husband, b/c I used to climb silos that were over 60' in the air with little or no railing for a living, and it never bothered me. And we go fishing a lot, and have on two occasions held a marlin that I caught and didn't worry that it might slit my neck with it's bill. Go figure.

There is a place in PC Beach called Splash that looks like TONS of fun for kids. It's on the end of PC that isn't too crowded. We stayed near here in May of 08 and they have really cleaned it up since the last time I was in PC. I would NOT go on Spring Break but if you are going over the summer it shouldn't be overcrowded with crazy teens and college students.

Have a great trip with your lil man!! Wherever you decide to go, I'm sure you will make lots of memories and have a great time together!

Not sure how much you are looking to spend, but we went to the Dominican Republic and had a blast. It was just hubby and me, but oh my! They had a TON to do for the kids! Trapez, water slides, rock wall, kids club ect. The water was also so warm and calm, and beautiful beaches. We got a great deal, and I think now at most places kids stay and eat free, just the cost of a flight! All the food and activities were included...

I love Grayton bc it is so peaceful, but it is close enough to SanDestin and PC that you can go to either for the action

Has anyone ever stayed at Sandestin resort in Destin?

It is nice. We have stayed in SanDestin since I was 6years old. The last 3years we moved over to Grayton. You would have fun at Sandestin Resort.

Edited by CarolineElizabeth

There is a place in PC Beach called Splash that looks like TONS of fun for kids. It's on the end of PC that isn't too crowded. We stayed near here in May of 08 and they have really cleaned it up since the last time I was in PC. I would NOT go on Spring Break but if you are going over the summer it shouldn't be overcrowded with crazy teens and college students.

Have a great trip with your lil man!! Wherever you decide to go, I'm sure you will make lots of memories and have a great time together!

Here is a link for Splash Condos. LOTS of kid activities!!

Not sure about Sandestin personally but I have friends that said it was very nice!

Has anyone ever stayed at Sandestin resort in Destin?

Been there many times...If all that "Beachy" stuff, i.e. Amusement Parks, Motorcycles, T-Shirt Shops, Fast Food, Lots of teenagers, etc... is what you are looking for then PC or Destin is just the thing.

However, as I said earlier if a family place is what you are looking for and RELAXATION is the meaning...then I still recommend N. Litchfield Beach, SC.

I hope you have fun whatever you decide....

:drinks:

Been there many times...If all that "Beachy" stuff, i.e. Amusement Parks, Motorcycles, T-Shirt Shops, Fast Food, Lots of teenagers, etc... is what you are looking for then PC or Destin is just the thing.

However, as I said earlier if a family place is what you are looking for and RELAXATION is the meaning...then I still recommend N. Litchfield Beach, SC.

I hope you have fun whatever you decide....

:drinks:

Sandestin is not like that at all. Destin, maybe, but not Sandestin. There's no "fast food" on the property, t-shirt shops, or an amusement park. The (private) beach is not crowded and there is a lot to do that is family oriented. Most everyone drives a golf cart there.

You folks probably get tired of my mentions of Daytona Beach, but we love it. There are many, MANY condos to rent. Over the past couple of years it has been far less crowded, I'm sure due to the encomony. We own a week at the Catalina Beach Club, right on the beach and we have also stayed at the Sandollar Condos near the Port Orange Bridge.

I like the Gulf Coast okay, but we be lovin'n the Atlantic. B)

WE LOVE DAYTONA BEACH SHORES GOING TOWARDS PONCE INLET...IT IS QUIETER AND LESS CROWDED ON THAT END...WE STAY AT THE CARIBBEAN CONDO...IT IS CLEAN AND CLOSE TO OUR FAVORITE RESTAURANTS

Thank you for all the great relies!! We have a lot to chew on!

Cruises aren't an option, unfortunately.

We got to sandestin almost every year. You are right in thinking that it is not like Destin or PCB. Not as crowded and security is tight at the pools and beach. May is a great time to go. We always stay at the Westwinds, but have stayed once at Beachside II. The Westwinds are much newer, but the condos are individually owned so everyone is different. Baytowne Wharf has lots of shops, playgrounds, and resturants. Very kid friendly with bike paths and nature trails.

Try VRBO for cheaper rates.

We also like going to PCB. We will stay toward the Laguana Beach (west side). Not as crowded. We usually book through VRBO and get a house or townhouse right on the beach!

The Outer Banks is probably the most beautiful, but the 12 hour drive is a killer!

Have fun!

gulf shores/orange beach is one of the best places for family vacations. It has the white sand like panama city, great reaturants, and reasonable rates on condos. Book thur Brett/robinson and stay in one of the phoenix condos, they are beautiful w/ great pools & usually you can get deals like pay for 5 nites stay 7 or pay for 3 nites and stay 5.

Not sure how much you are looking to spend, but we went to the Dominican Republic and had a blast. It was just hubby and me, but oh my! They had a TON to do for the kids! Trapez, water slides, rock wall, kids club ect. The water was also so warm and calm, and beautiful beaches. We got a great deal, and I think now at most places kids stay and eat free, just the cost of a flight! All the food and activities were included...

this is a great place to go :yahoo: