Paulding.com

Tile Floor

I was wondering if anyone lays tile floors and how much you would charge to do my kitchen. My husband said it 200 sq ft. and he is willing to help or do as much as we can to help keep the cost down. I am just asking about labor not supplies. Please PM me. TIA

I was wondering if anyone lays tile floors and how much you would charge to do my kitchen. My husband said it 200 sq ft. and he is willing to help or do as much as we can to help keep the cost down. I am just asking about labor not supplies. Please PM me. TIA

Hi, I am officially out of business and moving this week, but thought I would let you know that a decent price for tile work is $4-$5 a sq. ft. Any less than that and make sure they have proper experience, any more than that and you are paying too. much. Best of luck!

We just watched some Youtube vids and read some tutorials and did it ourselves. Our kitchen is small, too, and we did ours an even harder way...on the diagonal. I think it looks great. You just need the wet saw and all the other materials...the key is making sure you start in the correct place, and that's really not hard to do.

Hubby and neighbor did the tile cutting and laying, and I did the grout. :)

We did ours ourselves as well. Well, DF did it himself and I supervised LOL. It really wasn't that hard. A little rough on the back and knees and stressful when the kitchen appliances are sitting in the living room...other than that...it took about 3 days (large kitchen/dining combo)

Hubby did all 3 bathrooms and our kitchen. Shan is so right about the stress of the kitchen. I never knew how much one could really cook in the microwave!! And having the potty on the back deck was real interesting.....

LOL, I wouldn't even do that...I tried it the first night....then was so frustrated that I said screw it and it was pizza pizza pizza. LOL The tile may have only taken 3 days, but because DF had to go back to work, my living room stayed filled with kitchen stuff for 5 days. I was a nervous wreck (being hormonal probably didn't help LOL).

Yep, it's not that hard to do yourself, it's just time consuming. DH and I did one bathroom, laundry and kitchen, now we are ready to do the other bathroom. It took us awhile because DH is a perfectionist and ALL of the tiles and grout lines are darn near perfectly straight. He did a great job, but he said he could never do it for a living, that perfectionist thing.:rofl: :wub:

Edited by raclay

Yep, it's not that hard to do yourself, it's just time consuming. DH and I did one bathroom, laundry and kitchen, now we are ready to do the other bathroom. It took us awhile because DH is a perfectionist and ALL of the tiles and grout lines are darn near perfectly straight. He did a great job, but he said he could never do it for a living, that perfectionist thing.:rofl: :wub:

Mine, too. Drives me crazy sometimes- but I am so glad he is that way with home improvement stuff!

go take the class at Home Depot. As small as your kitchen is - this really is a good project for you to do. The hardest part is making sure that you have enough stiffness under the floor and then finding the visual center of the room. But, once you get to laying the tile - it's easy. Rent a wet saw from home depot (makes life soooo much easier).

Hubby did all 3 bathrooms and our kitchen. Shan is so right about the stress of the kitchen. I never knew how much one could really cook in the microwave!! And having the potty on the back deck was real interesting.....

That would not even phase Dis jr. :ph34r: :rofl:

If someone wants to help him he could always trade, he works on cars and 4-wheeler. He is fixing a blown head gasket right now in his Honda.

I have all the tools including a wet saw, tile snapper and a tile circular saw. Maybe we could work out a trade for tools or sumpin. I did the new bathroom, sewing / laundry room. That was about 250 square feet. The worst part was having to grind down the area where the cut the slab for the bathroom drains to the sump pump. Man what a mess.