Paulding.com

4-Day School Weeks Under Consideration In Georgia

School Week  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Should There Be 4-Day School Weeks in Georgia?

2. 2. Should Each County School System (or City School Systems) Decide, on Its Own, Whether to Have 4-Day School Weeks?

3. 3. Should Paulding County Have 4-Day School Weeks?

You are really bold with your statements on here. I don't expect anyone to pay for my child to go to school for 5 days. I'm a stay-at-home mom and most likely will be for a long time, knock on wood. What BOTHERS me is the idea that 4 days will result in lower quality education, or my child being behind another child who is in a 5-day week county somewhere else. I don't want that, and it has nothing to do with needing a babysitter. With that said, why do people automatically have the attitude that people expect school to babysit their children? Hello...this is a MAJOR change if it does take place. Work weeks are typically 5 days per week for most people. It may not affect me, but I do care...because one day it could, and I think the majority rules. The majority of households are 2 income households. Not everyone can take their kids to grandma's house on that 5th day. Many, and probably most, parents would have to find a daycare of some sort...whether that be in-home or a facility. There probably aren't enough stay-at-home moms who could or would even want to fill that need. How many teenagers would want to wake up early in the morning to go watch kids on their new extra day off?

And I'm glad you know so much about property. My family owns millions of dollars worth of commercial and residential property in South Carolina. Guess what? When taxes go up, they raise the rent. Simple as that. If someone moves out, someone else will move in.

I think schools need to stop using our tax dollars to educate children of illegal immigrants, even if the child was born here. Sorry, just because you come over here pregnant and give birth does not mean you should be able to stay. I just don't agree with that.

Just ignore her asinine comments. I have a feeling her thoughts would change if her life situation changed. But all people seem to care about is their current situation.

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I learned at a late stage in my work that you have to be very flexible and willing to work with whatever you are stuck with.   Schools are not supposed to be baby-sitting but a learning environment.

Many school systems in various parts of the country have gone to the 4 day week, some did it a long time ago. The savings in utility & transportation costs are a no-brainer, but they have document

I am going to play the bad guy here. Since when is it the job of the taxpayer to worry about daycare for other folks kids. The well is dry, no money there. I think the teachers are getting days off

Ok..so instead of getting out at 2:20, they get out at 3:45...what's that? Like 7.5 hours. Still a bit long for little ones, but better than 10 hours.

That one was for the middle and high. Elem. is right at 7. about 30 minutes more then they had.

The same actual minutes for instructional time will be the same in 5 day or 4 day week. (for the poster wondering about the educational aspect of if her's were to go 4 days verses someone in the county next to them going 5)

Unfortunately I am just swamped and have not had a chance to do much research on this. The few things I have pulled up have shown all good things. (money saved, attendance for both student and teachers up, violence down, etc..) I have still not made a personal decision on if I would like it here or not, though much would have to be considered here prior to the BOE actually putting it out as an option with us. I know Carrollton voted it down, but I am not sure why. They did have 59% approval rating from the parents. (That sort of surprised me that it was so high) That is one thing I would like to look at. I had not heard about Polk. I am going to check on some of the questions raised here, with someone there. (Where the kids will go on the day off...etc.)

So, If the average family has 2.3 children and a daycare or sitter is needed. And that cost is, let's say $65 / child /day. Then would everyone be opposed to giving the county an extra $400 / month? That is less than you would pay for daycare for 2. Even further, how many NEW daycares would we need to cover all these extra kids. And would it be possible to staff all of them to cover just that 1 day. Or would we be required to stagger off days with other jurisdiction so as to not over whelm the daycare centers say every Friday. :pardon: Elementary schools will be the hardest to cover by the parents. Are we gonna make a new law saying that it is now ok to leave 5 year olds home every Friday while school is out? Are we gonna make it mandatory that employers must let parents off without punishment? There are many more special questions on this. But I guess as our school system has already proven, they really do not care what parents think. :glare:

I would not want to give the school another $400 - I do not use the school system, so the less I can give them, the better.

You are really bold with your statements on here. I don't expect anyone to pay for my child to go to school for 5 days. I'm a stay-at-home mom and most likely will be for a long time, knock on wood. What BOTHERS me is the idea that 4 days will result in lower quality education, or my child being behind another child who is in a 5-day week county somewhere else. I don't want that, and it has nothing to do with needing a babysitter. With that said, why do people automatically have the attitude that people expect school to babysit their children? Hello...this is a MAJOR change if it does take place. Work weeks are typically 5 days per week for most people. It may not affect me, but I do care...because one day it could, and I think the majority rules. The majority of households are 2 income households. Not everyone can take their kids to grandma's house on that 5th day. Many, and probably most, parents would have to find a daycare of some sort...whether that be in-home or a facility. There probably aren't enough stay-at-home moms who could or would even want to fill that need. How many teenagers would want to wake up early in the morning to go watch kids on their new extra day off?

And I'm glad you know so much about property. My family owns millions of dollars worth of commercial and residential property in South Carolina. Guess what? When taxes go up, they raise the rent. Simple as that. If someone moves out, someone else will move in. I thought that was just common sence. When gas prices go up I have to raise my rate for what I do.

I think schools need to stop using our tax dollars to educate children of illegal immigrants, even if the child was born here. Sorry, just because you come over here pregnant and give birth does not mean you should be able to stay. I just don't agree with that.

That is why we must repeal the 14th admenment.

Just ignore her asinine comments. I have a feeling her thoughts would change if her life situation changed. But all people seem to care about is their current situation. ninja.gifYep, I noticed she hasn't come back. Wonder why?

I would not want to give the school another $400 - I do not use the school system, so the less I can give them, the better.

Understood CT. I was pointing out the cost of daycare for a family with 2 students as compared to the cost of a tax increase. The comparison was more of a would you rather pay $400 per month or fork out a $400 per year county wide increase. But no one wants to do either. If you read my posts further on you will see I am wholey in favor of a county run in school 1 day a week daycare at the PARENT's expense if this move is to be considered.

That one was for the middle and high. Elem. is right at 7. about 30 minutes more then they had.

The same actual minutes for instructional time will be the same in 5 day or 4 day week. (for the poster wondering about the educational aspect of if her's were to go 4 days verses someone in the county next to them going 5)

Unfortunately I am just swamped and have not had a chance to do much research on this. The few things I have pulled up have shown all good things. (money saved, attendance for both student and teachers up, violence down, etc..) I have still not made a personal decision on if I would like it here or not, though much would have to be considered here prior to the BOE actually putting it out as an option with us. I know Carrollton voted it down, but I am not sure why. They did have 59% approval rating from the parents. (That sort of surprised me that it was so high) That is one thing I would like to look at. I had not heard about Polk. I am going to check on some of the questions raised here, with someone there. (Where the kids will go on the day off...etc.)

I know what the article said, but you have obviously forgotten the mathmatical issues that I pointed out on this.

Here it is again for those that missed it.

Ok math wizards... A typical school day (for elem.) is 0800 - 1430. That is a total of 6.5 hours. Take out 30 min lunch. Take out the 2 hours you are talking about extending it and that leaves 4 hours. What the heck are they doing for the OTHER 4 hours they will not be in class that day?!? Do you expect us to believe that they are only getting 2 hours of actual education per day and the rest is Fluff? And I thought I was being generous by allowing for an additional 2 hours for recess and other fluff that does not need to be made up! Heck if that is the case then they only get 10 hours of actual education per week! So if what you say is true then why don't we just trim it all back and do a 2 day week. 5 hours instruction per day, a 30 min lunch and 1 hour of fluff. And the end result... You do not even have to extend the days at all. Now that would be some budget savings don't you think?

Bella Princess

The same actual minutes for instructional time will be the same in 5 day or 4 day week.

I find this highly doubtful for the reasons stated above.

Understood CT. I was pointing out the cost of daycare for a family with 2 students as compared to the cost of a tax increase. The comparison was more of a would you rather pay $400 per month or fork out a $400 per year county wide increase. But no one wants to do either. If you read my posts further on you will see I am wholey in favor of a county run in school 1 day a week daycare at the PARENT's expense if this move is to be considered.

I know what the article said, but you have obviously forgotten the mathmatical issues that I pointed out on this.

Here it is again for those that missed it.

Ok math wizards... A typical school day (for elem.) is 0800 - 1430. That is a total of 6.5 hours. Take out 30 min lunch. Take out the 2 hours you are talking about extending it and that leaves 4 hours. What the heck are they doing for the OTHER 4 hours they will not be in class that day?!? Do you expect us to believe that they are only getting 2 hours of actual education per day and the rest is Fluff? And I thought I was being generous by allowing for an additional 2 hours for recess and other fluff that does not need to be made up! Heck if that is the case then they only get 10 hours of actual education per week! So if what you say is true then why don't we just trim it all back and do a 2 day week. 5 hours instruction per day, a 30 min lunch and 1 hour of fluff. And the end result... You do not even have to extend the days at all. Now that would be some budget savings don't you think?

I find this highly doubtful for the reasons stated above.

For the love of pete! You can keep pointing it out, but since that is what is in place it must be legal. One thing you have not said and I do not have the precise number to give you, is exactly what the instructional minutes are right now in a day. They have to equal out whether it be 4 or 5 days, per the law.

Last I heard they were seeing trouble ahead for Hope Scholarships. Which do you think they will choose to do fund Hope or Pre-k? I really don't know how much of that program we fund but if we didn't fund Pre-k maybe it would make space in some day cares for kids going to 4 day school weeks.

Hope and Pre-K are both fully funded by lottery proceeds and those proceeds are on the increase, unlike most everything else.

Hope and Pre-K are both fully funded by lottery proceeds and those proceeds are on the increase, unlike most everything else.

You might want to check that again. They have had to narrow the requirements (and make them tougher) to get HOPE because the funds were not going to be enough to cover them all.

You might want to check that again. They have had to narrow the requirements (and make them tougher) to get HOPE because the funds were not going to be enough to cover them all.

I'll have to find the link again ... I was just reading the other day that 2010 proceeds are notably up over 2009 numbers.

I'll share it when I find it again.

For the love of pete! You can keep pointing it out, but since that is what is in place it must be legal. One thing you have not said and I do not have the precise number to give you, is exactly what the instructional minutes are right now in a day. They have to equal out whether it be 4 or 5 days, per the law.

Here ya go

( A ) For grades 1 through 3, 810 hours;

( B ) For grades 4 and 5, 900 hours; and

( C ) For grades 6 through 12, 990 hours.

GA state legis.

Notice where they struck out the 180 day requirement.

Like I predicted, 5 hours per day instruction under the 4 - 5th grade level under 180 days.

At the rate of 0.5 hours per day it would take 10 days of extended time to compensate for each full day of instruction lost / given up.

No I do not know how it is legal in Peach county.

Here ya go

GA state legis.

Like I predicted, 5 hours per day instruction under the 4 - 5th grade level under 180 days.

At the rate of 0.5 hours per day it would take 10 days of extended time to compensate for each full day of instruction lost / given up.

If your home schooling it's only four hours a day. You can break it up how ever you want. So I guess technically you could do 2.5 days @ 8hrs for the 2 and 4 for the rest and be done on Wed. having the rest of the week free. Shhh don't tell the school boardninja.gif . You can also start when you want. My BFF starts her kids the Tues. after labor day and they finish the Friday before Memorial day.

If your home schooling it's only four hours a day. You can break it up how ever you want. So I guess technically you could do 2.5 days @ 8hrs for the 2 and 4 for the rest and be done on Wed. having the rest of the week free. Shhh don't tell the school boardninja.gif . You can also start when you want. My BFF starts her kids the Tues. after labor day and they finish the Friday before Memorial day.

One of my friends runs the Omega Academy in front of Brookstone. I think we will be sending Dis jr. there next year.They specialize in ADD/ADHD kids too.

If you do GVA (think the name may have changed) expect to work more than 4 hours a day. It is a great program with great materials and a lot of hard work.

One of my friends runs the Omega Academy in front of Brookstone. I think we will be sending Dis jr. there next year.They specialize in ADD/ADHD kids too.

I think I have heard of it. There is also another program that is in Kennesaw that specializes in kids with ADD/ADHD and with the sensory issues. I don't remember what the name of it is.

Edited by gog8tors

If you do GVA (think the name may have changed) expect to work more than 4 hours a day. It is a great program with great materials and a lot of hard work.

I know that the Ga. state BOE has the requirements on it. I know that my BFF has home schooled her kids and has told me that the minimum is 4 hrs. I will check into that program. She also sent me a curriculum that I will be checking out.

Here ya go

GA state legis.

Because House Bill 193 was enacted.

Here ya go

GA state legis.

Since they are receiving federal/state funding I have no doubt they are within the law of what is required.

If they have to have 900 hours instruction time and go 140 days that would fall within the school times they (4 day school systems) are using as of now.

Since they are receiving federal/state funding I have no doubt they are within the law of what is required.

If they have to have 900 hours instruction time and go 140 days that would fall within the school times they (4 day school systems) are using as of now.

Ok, then let's ask this. If 900 / 180 = 5 leaving 1.5 hours for lunch and ??? And 900 / 140 = 6.5 + .5 (extended)AND that assumes no recess or down time or any other non learning time in the day. They will be learning from 1st bell to last bell with only 30 min for lunch off that entire day. Then what did they cut out for 1 hour / day or 5 hours per week. I see something is missing. What is it? The whole crux of this disagreement is that I theorized it would take closer to an hour or more extended schedule to cover all they are doing now and not cut things out of the program. You have not proven that they have not. The school hours are not the same per week, I do not care how you look at it. Something was / will be cut out if they only extend the day by 30 min. 0.5 X 4 = 2.0 it does not add up to the 6.5 hours (less whatever they cut out). 4.5 hours of school time are missing. But I grant that this includes recess and lunch for the day plus other down times between classes. But those did / do not add up to the 4.5 hours the kids are not in school. End of story

Many of them have 1 day options.

I concur. Most have a daily option. But that 1 day is about half the cost of a week. I beleive the one we used was $65 about 4 years ago for just the 1 day.

The one we use is $50.

What is the weekly rate there? If school is in session for 38 weeks a year ( I came up with 36 by dividing 180 / 5 and 38 if we go by next year's callender) 38 X 50 = $1,900 per year in additional child care costs to each family for each child who does not have an alternate solution. That is $3,800 for the average family of 4. That is a huge tax increase to them. And to those that say I already raised mine, I say only that society did not make YOU incur this expense either now did it?

Ok, then let's ask this. If 900 / 180 = 5 leaving 1.5 hours for lunch and ??? And 900 / 140 = 6.5 + .5 (extended)AND that assumes no recess or down time or any other non learning time in the day. They will be learning from 1st bell to last bell with only 30 min for lunch off that entire day. Then what did they cut out for 1 hour / day or 5 hours per week. I see something is missing. What is it? The whole crux of this disagreement is that I theorized it would take closer to an hour or more extended schedule to cover all they are doing now and not cut things out of the program. You have not proven that they have not. The school hours are not the same per week, I do not care how you look at it. Something was / will be cut out if they only extend the day by 30 min. 0.5 X 4 = 2.0 it does not add up to the 6.5 hours (less whatever they cut out). 4.5 hours of school time are missing. But I grant that this includes recess and lunch for the day plus other down times between classes. But those did / do not add up to the 4.5 hours the kids are not in school. End of story

I have given you the information that I have, you choose to come up with your own conclusions. (You theorize what you believe to be true, yet counties are doing it and are in compliance with the law) The only non learning time that is written into law is recess and lunch. (Recess is only in elementary school, and the upper grades have the walk between classes) Everything else is considered instructional time. I am not in elementary school, so I really can not state what all that extra time could be. In the middle and high schools they are learning from 1st bell to last. The state also includes in instructional time parent/teacher conferences.

What is the weekly rate there? If school is in session for 38 weeks a year ( I came up with 36 by dividing 180 / 5 and 38 if we go by next year's callender)

Where do we go from 36 to 38? And in your figuring, you miss the 4 4-day weeks already in the calendar. I get your point ... I'm just saying.

Where do we go from 36 to 38? And in your figuring, you miss the 4 4-day weeks already in the calendar. I get your point ... I'm just saying.

8 weeks summer

1 week fall

1 week Thanksgiving

2 weeks Christmas

1 week winter

1 week spring

14 weeks off per year leaving 38 from the 52 weks in the year as in session.

8 weeks summer

1 week fall

1 week Thanksgiving

2 weeks Christmas

1 week winter

1 week spring

14 weeks off per year leaving 38 from the 52 weks in the year as in session.

Go to the school district web page and pull up the calendar and physically count the weeks.

Go to the school district web page and pull up the calendar and physically count the weeks.

Dad gum... Why ya got to be like that? :rolleyes: I don't wanna. I'm not gonna... I'm not gonna... I refuse, OCD be darned. :closedeyes: 8) B) :huh: :wacko: :( :angry: Aggggg.... Now I gotta go... be right back... :p

37 ??!!?? :o

That's the answer? Darn you woman!!! all that for 37? You couldn't have just come on out and said it is 37? "I missed it by this much chief" holds up thumb and index finger virtually together So it was the average of the 2 I posted huh?

Darn this OCD!!! :rolleyes: :ph34r:

I have to go get the kids anyway... :p :p

Bye

As a high school student I would not be in favor of a four day school week with extended hours because I feel it would be counter productive to what a school should be established for : to EDUCATE. The hours I spend in school are filled with activity as I have no electives only academic classes. I don't mind that so much because I enjoy talking all advanced classes, I enjoy learning , and I enjoy challenging myself. The workload not so much but it's apart of what I choose to pursue. That being said I glean and am exposed to a multitude of information covering a vast array of subjects everyday. Each class covers new information that be then be understood and then applied. After a certain time period(towards the end of the day) it becomes difficult to absorb new information as you are exposed to so much each day. Adding more time to the day would exacerbate this "overloaded" feeling among students negating the principle goal of education. I am able to handle the schedule as it is now but I would not want to be asked to to take on more each day. While I can imagine multitude things I would I would love to do with a day off ( Sleep, finish projects , do something non- school related for once) I would not want to do that at the cost that is presented. If we had to go to this schedule I would be able to compensate but it is not something I advocate.

Edited by Want2teach

Yep, I noticed she hasn't come back. Wonder why?

maybe because I have been.... oh I dont know.... WORKING???????? unlike some who seem to hang out on this site 24/7

37 ??!!?? :o

That's the answer? Darn you woman!!! all that for 37? You couldn't have just come on out and said it is 37? "I missed it by this much chief" holds up thumb and index finger virtually together So it was the average of the 2 I posted huh?

Darn this OCD!!! :rolleyes: :ph34r:

I have to go get the kids anyway... :p :p

Bye

icon_lmao.gif

Yes you use the school system. You must have missed that part while you were day dreaming about all of the bad stuff in the world because of your small penis or because your mother didn't love you or because your dad cross-dressed. I am not sure what would make someone come to such quick stupid conclusions, but it is good to see that you have broad world view of things.

Imagine living in a county, a state, or a country that doesn't have public schools and no cumpulsory attendance laws. Imagine what those neighbors would be like. What would things look like around here tomorrow if closed the schools in Paulding County?

f'n DA

Let me open up a new can of worms. How much monies would be saved if any / all children of illegal immigrants, who are receiving a free education, were prevented from attending school? Free because most illegals do not pay taxes specifically property taxes.

Great idea. Nothing like a lot of illiterate people milling around.

Yes you use the school system. You must have missed that part while you were day dreaming about all of the bad stuff in the world because of your small penis or because your mother didn't love you or because your dad cross-dressed. I am not sure what would make someone come to such quick stupid conclusions, but it is good to see that you have broad world view of things.

Imagine living in a county, a state, or a country that doesn't have public schools and no cumpulsory attendance laws. Imagine what those neighbors would be like. What would things look like around here tomorrow if closed the schools in Paulding County?

f'n DA

[/quote)

I'm glad to see you hold back in your opinions. :lol: However, there's a good bit of truth in what you say.

f'n DA

Oh Lawd