Paulding.com

Schools may be prohibited from getting early August start

This ought to be a law?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Should the legislature keep schools from starting instruction in early August?

• Yes
    • No

What most parents have forgotten is that the school calendars were originally designed around the cycle of planting and harvesting, as our country was based on agriculture. (As our nation became more industrialized, we've moved away from that way of life, relying on other countries imports to handle our demands, and complaining the whole time about our lack of exports.) As a parent, no, I don't like the early August start. Not only do I have a certain amount of vacation days that I can plan, but most of the other parents that I work with are also trying to schedule off days at the same time. If the state and counties are so concerned with cutting costs, then they need to seriously look at ALL aspects of spending, including utilities, etc. Year round school does work. In CA my niece rotated into year round school, and she loved the 9 week on 2 week off schedules. And they did still get a 3-4 week break during the summer months. She even admitted that she retained more of what she was learning. While I am "used to" the late August start and Memorial Weekend end, I just would like them to get a basic uniform calendar and stop changing it each year.

Love your statement!

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I completely agree with this. Starting the first week of August is absurd. Many kids have summer jobs to help pay their way into college, this prevents them from earning three weeks pay. We always

while I agree in theory with Him. I am not sure why he wants to take the decision out of the local school boards. Guess he knows better huh?

I'm for this legislation. The local school boards obviously don't listen to the teachers or parents.

I never heard of having a whole week off for Thanksgiving or a week-long Mid-winter break before I moved here.

We were off Wed-Sun for Thanksgiving and Fri-Mon for 'Mid-winter break.'

It didn't kill us. :pardon:

Be that as it may ... do you really want the state taking power away from local government?

Be that as it may ... do you really want the state taking power away from local government?

Well, no, but we didn't have an option for this calendar. Obviously there are many (just here on Pcom) who believe it makes WAY more sense than the ones offered to us.

It would also be easier for people to keep up with the schedule. It would be the same across the board and no one would be cofused about start/end dates, breaks, early releases, etc...

It may even make things easier for employers. :pardon:

I know a lot of people who enjoy a winter break... There is a BIG world out there and a lot of people enjoy snowboarding,skiing and other winter sports. There is more than just summer beach fun.I am not as worried about when they go to school as WHAT they learn while there...sadly they do not learn enough now. If I had to choose between summer Vacation and Education then Education would win every time.

I know a lot of people who enjoy a winter break... There is a BIG world out there and a lot of people enjoy snowboarding,skiing and other winter sports. There is more than just summer beach fun.I am not as worried about when they go to school as WHAT they learn while there...sadly they do not learn enough now. If I had to choose between summer Vacation and Education then Education would win every time.

Did I ever tell you how smart you are??? :wub:

Well, no, but we didn't have an option for this calendar. Obviously there are many (just here on Pcom) who believe it makes WAY more sense than the ones offered to us.

It would also be easier for people to keep up with the schedule. It would be the same across the board and no one would be cofused about start/end dates, breaks, early releases, etc...

It may even make things easier for employers. :pardon:

You had three options. If you don't like the way things are going, vote out the current board and vote in new members. But don't give away local governing.

Really ... look at how upset so many have gotten over Sonny's plan to to remove the voter from selecting many positions. Why is that different than this?

And what if the next step is to outlaw Spring Break because it's too much like a government sanctioned celebration of a religious holiday? Would you guys be ok with that?

There's nothing at all wrong with not liking the calendar we ended up with. There is something wrong with letting somebody else have the power that should be held locally, though.

The state already has some control over local systems, with state funding which has been cut which forced local BOE's to force furloughs on the staff. In Cobb the staff is mainly the teachers, but not the "full time" employees who work at the main board office, who by the way just returned from a retreat.

Don't agree. Our kids can't learn if they are not in school and this year they haven't been in school very much due to the weather. Adding days to the beginning of the year could allow extra days to be added to the calendar for these unexpected missed days. Additionally I don't want to see our local school system ruled any further by our state legislators.

I vote year round school, especially for elementary and middle school.

Many schools in other parts of the country start in August. It's common.

So. One issue I have is un-air conditioned buses when it's 100 degrees outside.

The best part of "local" control is doing what works best for us locally.

Edited by Madea

Don't agree. Our kids can't learn if they are not in school and this year they haven't been in school very much due to the weather. Adding days to the beginning of the year could allow extra days to be added to the calendar for these unexpected missed days. Additionally I don't want to see our local school system ruled any further by our state legislators.

I vote year round school, especially for elementary and middle school.

sounds to me that you would rather the school system raise and teach your kids, instead of yourself.

sounds to me that you would rather the school system raise and teach your kids, instead of yourself.

So because someone can see the benefits of year round schooling you somehow equate that with them wanting the schools to raise and teach their children?

(On that whole "teach" thing ... isn't that what the schools are supposed to do?)

I totally agree. we could live w/o a week off in sept. & shave off a day or two her or there and still get out by memorial day. When I had my first child in school 12 years ago we started around the middle of August and we were out by Memorial day. We also didn't take the entire week of thanksgiving then.

Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do when local goverment is not capable of making wise decisions.

I completely agree with this. Starting the first week of August is absurd. Many kids have summer jobs to help pay their way into college, this prevents them from earning three weeks pay. We always started the Day after Labor Day and finished the first week in June. We just didn't have a week off in September, November, and February. Elimate those weeks and you have a reasonable school calendar. :)

The only parents that like all these weeks off is elem. school parents. They will hate it when their kids become teens. They can't get a job unless they promise not to take a vacation because the summer is so short.

I totally agree. we could live w/o a week off in sept. & shave off a day or two her or there and still get out by memorial day. When I had my first child in school 12 years ago we started around the middle of August and we were out by Memorial day. We also didn't take the entire week of thanksgiving then.

Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do when local goverment is not capable of making wise decisions.

That's about where I'm at.

That's what elections are for.

I agree. But...Paulding county is full of the good ol' boys with the long lists of family names that have ran this county. No matter what, I feel that it's not going to change. :(

That's about where I'm at.

I agree. But...Paulding county is full of the good ol' boys with the long lists of family names that have ran this county. No matter what, I feel that it's not going to change. sad.gif

3 seats changed last election and 3 are up this election. Why don't you actively seek qualified folks to run. I know posts 2 and 6 are up not sure of the other one. Cathy West, Sammy McClure, and Kim Curl! In this economy you could not pay me enough to take this job. There is not enough money to come close to covering the budget and it is going to get worse in my opinion.

I might get slammed for saying this, but, who really cares when school starts and when it ends just as long as our children are getting an education and make something out of themselves when the time comes. All I want is my children to succeed and do better than what I've done.

I don't care when it starts or ends, what's important is that my children are there to learn and grow that brain power.

I might get slammed for saying this, but, who really cares when school starts and when it ends just as long as our children are getting an education and make something out of themselves when the time comes. All I want is my children to succeed and do better than what I've done.

I don't care when it starts or ends, what's important is that my children are there to learn and grow that brain power.

While I agree with you fully, Starting while it is so hot outside will hinder their learning...JMO though. I know I can't concentrate when it's blazing hot. All I'm thinking about is jumping into a pool.

So because someone can see the benefits of year round schooling you somehow equate that with them wanting the schools to raise and teach their children?

(On that whole "teach" thing ... isn't that what the schools are supposed to do?)

absolutely the schools are supposed to teach, however that doea not give them sole responsibility to teach your, children. The parents are also responsible for teaching. I disagree with year round for the elementary and middle school age children, I believe that would be better for high school ages.

absolutely the schools are supposed to teach, however that doea not give them sole responsibility to teach your, children. The parents are also responsible for teaching. I disagree with year round for the elementary and middle school age children, I believe that would be better for high school ages.

Of course but do you really think the parents who do supplement the school education that their kids get won't do so with a different calendar?

As for your view on year round school ... you are exactly opposite of most people who want it for some and not for all. HS students are the ones most hindered on the job front by the year round school schedule. They are also the closest to going to a college/university schedule which is not year round. If it were to be implemented for some and not for all, I can see a much stronger argument for leaving HS out of the year round calendar.

Of course but do you really think the parents who do supplement the school education that their kids get won't do so with a different calendar?

As for your view on year round school ... you are exactly opposite of most people who want it for some and not for all. HS students are the ones most hindered on the job front by the year round school schedule. They are also the closest to going to a college/university schedule which is not year round. If it were to be implemented for some and not for all, I can see a much stronger argument for leaving HS out of the year round calendar.

Would you agree that a government agency "school systems" having control of your children year round, is the same as more "big" government that always requires more or higher taxes?

Oh, and by the way with the exception of a few typos I believe I turned out okay with 3 months off in the summer. How about yourself?

Would you agree that a government agency "school systems" having control of your children year round, is the same as more "big" government that always requires more or higher taxes?

Oh, and by the way with the exception of a few typos I believe I turned out okay with 3 months off in the summer. How about yourself?

What used to be done is not a good argument. People used to drive without seat belts and air bags ... people used to smoke and drink during pregnancy ... we used to "duck and cover" to protect ourselves from nuclear bombs ... heck, we've got a whole generation that was overrun with STDs because they used to do the whole free love thing. We learn and we adjust and we improve. That's the goal of the human race, anyway. The reason for the 3 month break from school is no longer valid. And I'm honestly more than a little surprised at the number of people who argue against early starts and/or year round schooling because of recreational pursuits. I have not yet seen a single, well worded argument against these types of schedules based on a true belief that they are worse for kids' educations. All of that aside ... I still do not want the State getting any more involved in my community than it truly needs to. This is not something that I feel it needs to get into.

Honestly, I could care less one way or another. I didn't vote.

Here are the facts:

1) Children of lower economic status have losses in math and reading over the summer. If we honestly want all students to succeed, we need more of a year-round-school mentality. Children of higher economic status make gains over the summer. They traditionally are involved in summer camps, summer reading programs, field trips to museums, etc.

2) I'm POed that someone besides our government is trying to make decisions for our children. The tourist industry came down hard in NC and demanded that schools not start until after labor day. They need the money. It makes me wonder...is Six Flags and White Water having that much pull? I'll bet they are!!! I don't think there is any other reason for a start after Sept. 1 except someone is "crying" about losing money.

3) Personally, I love spending the summer with my children and having 2-3 months away from school. I also don't want to be responsible for children who aren't prepared to work as adults because they come from poverty and spend the summers glued to Jerry Springer and/or playing video games.

I'd rather give up my summers to ensure a positive educational experience for all of our children in the community. I DON'T want someone outside of education (theme parks, etc.) deciding how schools should be run.

Just my 2 cents!

Here's an interesting article on the 'King's Dominion Law' in Virginia. A similar situation occured there, and the lobby for the amusement parks (King's Dominion--kind of like Six Flags) was able to get politicians to do what Georgia legislators are thinking about--create laws regarding the start times for school. http://www.roanoke.com/editorials/wb/173633

Just to rehash the intelligent input being given here, the agrarian calendar that we are used to is not shown to be beneficial to students (esp. those of lower income). There is no need to have 11 weeks off during the summer, when that time can be spaced out during the year, giving students and teachers needed breaks. Go back and compare attendance rates from Paulding County during the time of the 'traditional' calendar, and what we have today. While there will be some differentiation (since attendance is monitored more strictly), I think you'll find some interesting trends that support frequent breaks.

At the end of the day, the people in charge of education should be the ones making the decision as to what is best for the *education* of the child--not the parents and not the politicians. While that may offend some of you, I'll be the first to say that while I am the supreme expert in my children, I do take the input of their teachers very seriously. When they say that something is going to be what is best for my child in an academic sense, unless I have prior evidence they are wrong, I do assume they know what they're talking about. As a teacher myself, it can be hard to step back and be objective, so I understand where some parents are coming from.

Have some faith in the teachers and educators that pushed for this calendar. Wouldn't you rather they be the ones to make decisions regarding the education of your child, as opposed to the politicians that care so much for your child that they're upping class sizes to around 35?

Edited by lovekandj

I think this is more a teacher "want" than an education "need". I assure you my public school education was much better than our kids get in Georgia today. Even with our 11 weeks off in the summer. We didn't have the money for me to go to summer camp and I don't appreciate the reference to lower income kids "missing out".

I think it should be up to the parents and taxpayers that are footing the bills for the extra heating and cooling required for this calendar, not for the teacher's convenience.

That being said, I like the concept I just don't want it legislated. :)

Oh yea, in case you forgot...........these are our children not the teachers' or the Board of Educations' <_<

At the end of the day, the people in charge of education should be the ones making the decision as to what is best for the *education* of the child--not the parents and not the politicians. While that may offend some of you, I'll be the first to say that while I am the supreme expert in my children, I do take the input of their teachers very seriously. When they say that something is going to be what is best for my child in an academic sense, unless I have prior evidence they are wrong, I do assume they know what they're talking about. As a teacher myself, it can be hard to step back and be objective, so I understand where some parents are coming from.

I think this is more a teacher "want" than an education "need". I assure you my public school education was much better than our kids get in Georgia today. Even with our 11 weeks off in the summer. We didn't have the money for me to go to summer camp and I don't appreciate the reference to lower income kids "missing out".

I think it should be up to the parents and taxpayers that are footing the bills for the extra heating and cooling required for this calendar, not for the teacher's convenience.

Are you aware that teachers pay taxes? Or do my tax dollars go somewhere other than education--making my opinion and vote about schools somehow moot?

I'm sorry that you don't 'appreciate' the reference to lower-income children retaining less when they return after an 11 week summer break. However, that is well-documented by research, which is why many school systems attempt to bridge the gap for these kids with things like reading camp, summer school, and reading/math programs.

Secondly, there are many things that I would consider 'convenient', such as being paid for the hours I actually work, getting the support I need to reach my kids in the classroom, supplies, less than 30 8th grade students in one class, not being furloughed... Like anyone else, I could go on about all that I would find more convenient at work.

However, teachers are a funny folk, in that most of what they believe to be best for children is actually backed by amazing loads of research. This just happens to be one of those issues.

Edited by lovekandj

Are you aware that teachers pay taxes? Or do my tax dollars go somewhere other than education--making my opinion and vote about schools somehow moot?

I'm sorry that you don't 'appreciate' the reference to lower-income children retaining less when they return after an 11 week summer break. However, that is well-documented by research, which is why many school systems attempt to bridge the gap for these kids with things like reading camp, summer school, and reading/math programs.

Secondly, there are many things that I would consider 'convenient', such as being paid for the hours I actually work, getting the support I need to reach my kids in the classroom, supplies, less than 30 8th grade students in one class, not being furloughed... Like anyone else, I could go on about all that I would find more convenient at work.

However, teachers are a funny folk, in that most of what they believe to be best for children is actually backed by amazing loads of research. This just happens to be one of those issues.

Perhaps if some teachers would stop believing they are the "all knowing in what is best for every one of our kids", they could actually get an education. I'm sorry where do the kids from Georgia test in comparison with the other states?? Where exactly does Paulding County fall in the state of Georgia??

Today's methods in education do not appear to be working. I plan to watch John Stossel tomorrow evening at 8:00 to see what new info he has about education in America.

I think he is going to say vouchers are the answer. Parents could then send their children to the school that best fit their needs.

Oh yea, in case you forgot...........these are our children not the teachers' or the Board of Educations' <_<

I'm sorry if I offended you. There are exceptions to every rule. You obviously got more out of your summers, but it could be because there was no cable, internet, game systems or other distractions from using one's imagination, creating games, and entertaining oneself with nature and life experiences. Our children just grow too fast.

After spending 6 months of research on school calendars for my Ed. S. I think I know what the data shows. These are OUR children, you're right. I could care less about how summers are. Actually, I love spending them with my 2 children at home. But being a teacher, I know what's best for all of our children over all. For them to learn, they need schools with year-round education.

As for education being better for you than children today, I disagree again. We are teaching students much more than ever was taught in GA schools. It may be different topics than what you learned, and that's another topic entirely about what to teach, but students are getting incredible amounts of information in our schools today.

As for heating and cooling costs, I don't agree that it's as big of an issue or cost as you. I just want our children educated....period.

Perhaps if some teachers would stop believing they are the "all knowing in what is best for every one of our kids", they could actually get an education. I'm sorry where do the kids from Georgia test in comparison with the other states?? Where exactly does Paulding County fall in the state of Georgia??

I'm sorry, but I'm not going to get into a pissing match with you. I don't think a single teacher has said that they know what's best for every one of your kids. However, we're good at what we do, and we care about your children and what's best for them. If I didn't think that having frequent breaks was best for my students, I never would have voted for it. But, I see how they come back--fresh and ready to go, and I see what a difference the breaks make in terms of spreading illnesses (such as the annual Feb. flu outbreak).

As for the rest of your post, I'm sure with your superior to Georgia education, you can figure out how to google the answers to those questions. I will advise you, though, that there is not a set of national performance standards, so there is no fair way to determine how Georgia compares on a national level (the ITBS tests on norms, but many of those tests are so outdated that the material is no longer apart of our GPS). However, you'll find that many Paulding County schools rank high in the state--you can search this under the state report card. Hope that helps :)

This calendar is not just in Paulding or Georgia and it is not just teachers pushing it. There are school districts where parents spent years working to get their districts (or individual school) to switch to a more "balanced" schedule.

And Cathy, you know I love you, but just because something was good before doesn't mean it can't be made better.

Today's methods in education do not appear to be working. I plan to watch John Stossel tomorrow evening at 8:00 to see what new info he has about education in America.

I think he is going to say vouchers are the answer. Parents could then send their children to the school that best fit their needs.

Why do you believe this? Exactly what about education is not working?

After you watch Stossel, I highly recommend you (and anyone who may be stuck on the idea of 'nostalgic' public education) to read Gerald Bracey's books--such as The War on Public Education. Much of what we 'believe' about public education is based on rhetoric and emotion, and not so much on facts.